PDA

View Full Version : Questions about selling my race car to a US buyer

raceman6135
11-22-2019, 12:09 AM
I'm selling my race car (bracket / drag Nova) and one of the interested buyers is in the USA. We've emailed, texted, and chatted on the phone a few times and he seems fairly serious about buying it: so much in fact that he is likely planning a flight here to check it out before making a final decision.

I have a couple of questions that someone here may be able to answer before I make some calls to a border agency.

Has anyone sold an off-road vehicle to an American buyer, and if so, how did you do it? He has no plans on registering it in the USA -- it will remain race-only.

I've read online suggestions that range from "above-board, forms and taxes paid, etc" to "take it across the border, state you are getting work done in the States (or attending a car show), come back without car on trailer."

I realize I could tell the buyer to figure it out on his own, but I was wondering if anyone has first-hand experience doing it a different way.

Also, what's a safe way to get funds? Sale price will be in the $20,000 to $25,000 range.