PDA

View Full Version : How do you like to fly?

tonytiger55
11-25-2019, 01:18 PM
So I booked a flight to see the folks over Xmas and it got me thinking.

How do you like to fly..? Are there any must haves? Do you have a flight routine, bags that you fly with, specific items, clothing?
After the childhood trauma of flying with my parents, i.e taking excess of two overly packed suitcases and lots of heavy hand luggage. I like to fly light and comfortable now.
I worked at Heathrow airport for a number of years. I noticed some people like to dress up, some people like to go in their pajamas etc.

For me its my old Jansport rucksack. Not too small and not too big. Metal water bottle. Ipod/headphones (though I need to update my headphones, I am so not 21st century).
Anker battery charger, small manbag for my passport, a book to read and a neck pillow.
I dress light, tracksuit bottoms, hoodi and a couple of layers.
I always buy food as I get hungry and a bottle of Jonnie Walker from duty free for dad.

That’s about it.
How do ‘you people’ like to fly?

G-ZUS
11-25-2019, 01:27 PM
As light as possible, headphones, sweatpants or track pants, carry-on with a change of clothes, underwear etc in case my check baggage gets lost or delayed. Also throw some snacks in the carry-on

2Legit2Quit
11-25-2019, 01:27 PM
I hate Air Canada with a passion so I avoid flying with them at all cost.

Outside of that, comfortable clothes, usually a backpack with food I brought, water bottle and whatever electronics I want to use.
I'll pay for checking a bag over dealing with fighting for overhead space to get a carry on bag stowed.

flipstah
11-25-2019, 01:34 PM
I always wear:

- Dress slacks
- Slip-on loafers with low-cut socks or Chelsea boots
- Polo shirt or a casual shirt
- A sweater
- No belt or watches
- Have a small bag for water/snacks/headphones/documentation/battery charger
- Travel pillow

Never do check-in luggage; I just pack light and bring a collapsible tote bag.

Hydration and proper sleep the day before is key. If the timezone changes drastically, I wear a watch the day before that has the arrival timezone so I see it.

killramos
11-25-2019, 01:47 PM
Jeans, Golf Shirt, Ecco boots, whatever jacket fits the weather where I am going.

Messenger bag with Laptop, Beats, iPad, chargers. Maybe a magazine or 2.

Fits under seat in front of me and has everything I need.

Suitcase always checked. If it’s lost I get to go shopping on Visa’s dime.

Also preferably fly premium economy whenever possible, I fly so little I tend to splurge.

pheoxs
11-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Pack minimal. For short flights (i.e. vancouver for the weekend) I'll do carry on only, otherwise I'll just check 1 bag.

I have a mini backpack I take onboard. Usually bring some snacks, charging pack, noise cancelling headphones, etc. I bring a empty water bottle and just fill it up at one of the bars for free.

I usually dress comfy, I hate being hot so I'll dress on the lighter side and bring a hoodie or something for warmth if need be.

Always check in ahead, always try to get a window seat.

D'z Nutz
11-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Runners, sweats or track pants, hoodie, earphones/headphones and iPod/iPhone, aisle seat. I just need to be as warm and comfortable to sleep in cause as soon as the plane takes off, I pass out.

As far as carry-on, I try to pack as light as possible cause everyone brings on giant ass luggage as their carry-on (definitely bigger than the allowable limit) and there's never enough room.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-25-2019, 02:09 PM
Dakine backpack I take everywhere with wireless headphones, multiple magazines and some snacks.

ExtraSlow
11-25-2019, 02:18 PM
First Preference: Alone
After that: direct flights if possible
Third: Slip-off shoes and fall asleep when the plane pushes back from the gate.
Don't really care about luggage. I don't mind waiting at the carousel if I have checked bag, or gate checking if the bins are full, or whatever.
Flights over 5h, I'll pop a benadryl once boarding starts. Helps because I'm allergic to many fragrances, and people fucking douse themselves with perfume apparently. Also helps me sleep.

Bring a water bottle and a sandwich. The Spolumbos deli in YYC terminal 2 departure area works good for that.

flipstah
11-25-2019, 02:31 PM
One trick I found that worked (by accident) is eating a bar of unsweetened dark cacao. I ate a box of Royce chocolates before my flight from Japan; passed out; woke up in Vancouver.

Missed two meals lol

rage2
11-25-2019, 03:01 PM
If anyone is flying AC, I have a bunch of lounge passes available that's valid for domestic maple leaf lounges in Canada as well as LAX, LGA, and EWR in the US.

Unlimited booze to get you nice and sleepy on your flight. LMK if you want 'em. Expires Feb 29 2020.
tonytiger55 gets dibs if he's flying AC.

Lex350
11-25-2019, 03:06 PM
I dress whatever way I feel comfortable that day. It varies.
I take a small roller carry-on and my travel backpack
I prefer to fly economy plus. Easy with United because I have some status.
Always have my noise cancelling headphones.
I have learned not to drink on a flight unless it is for vacation. It makes my jet lag worse.
Always prefer to fly on buddy passes. Last time was last month when we flew to Frankfurt in business class for $198 return!! The pods are sweet.

revelations
11-25-2019, 03:23 PM
Long haul:

- sweat pants, loose cotton clothes (no synthetics for flying) and running shoes for standing/walking long distances at places like FRA (their private, gate-gate service is really messed up)
- sit in aisle seat, drink piss tons of water and pee every hour or so, eat fruits and nuts - stand up often
- small hand bag for things needed at seat, backpack for else

Flying in general

- download YT documentaries to phone SD card and watch during flight (I use dentex YT downloader, not on playstore)
- over-ear NC headphones
- nexus, boarding pass and credit cards kept in a small flip open wallet (dont need anything else handy)
- anker power pack
- phone stand

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone is flying AC, I have a bunch of lounge passes available that's valid for domestic maple leaf lounges in Canada as well as LAX, LGA, and EWR in the US.

Unlimited booze to get you nice and sleepy on your flight. LMK if you want 'em. Expires Feb 29 2020.

Are you selling these? I could use 2

tonytiger55
11-25-2019, 03:53 PM

Im not flying AC...:( But thanks for the thought. :)
Im flying Delta via Minneapolis. I have a 5 hr layover. I was actually looking at lounge passes there.

Side question, what headphones do you all use?
I might checkout if there are any black Friday deals.

revelations
11-25-2019, 04:07 PM
^ best over the ear model = https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm3/buy/wh1000xm3-s

The N/C optimizing option is noticeable when I go from eg. the C-train to a plane.

ianmcc
11-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Travel light-one carry on bag unless its more than one week. Hate fighting the crowds at the luggage carousel.
Over the ear head phones as most earbuds dont drown out the noise of the plane. And I always select a seat in zone 1 so I get on towards the rear and dont have to fight for overhead storage space.

ExtraSlow
11-25-2019, 04:11 PM
^ best over the ear model = https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm3/buy/wh1000xm3-s

The N/C optimizing option is noticeable when I go from eg. the C-train to a plane.
If I get off my wallet and buy NC headphones, those are the ones. Best NC according to rtings.com

revelations
11-25-2019, 04:28 PM
If I get off my wallet and buy NC headphones, those are the ones. Best NC according to rtings.com

You wont regret it. I thought I was splurging a bit but I end up using these all the time now.

flipstah
11-25-2019, 04:37 PM

It's on sale at BestBuy as well! I went for Sennheiser instead, but the Sony ones are king. On par, if not, better than the Bose QC35ii.

ercchry
11-25-2019, 04:56 PM
One trick I found that worked (by accident) is eating a bar of unsweetened dark cacao. I ate a box of Royce chocolates before my flight from Japan; passed out; woke up in Vancouver.

Missed two meals lol

Edibles are great for that... but if chocolate effects you that greatly, might be a bad idea :rofl:

jwslam
11-25-2019, 05:35 PM

Missed two meals lol
I think you meant to post that in the intermittent fasting thread...

ExtraSlow
11-25-2019, 05:38 PM
I think you meant to post that in the intermittent fasting thread...

botox
11-25-2019, 10:10 PM
For a week trip this is usually what I pack. For on the plane its tshirt and jeans. If it's work trip I always check in and will do carry on if its a personal trip.
- 2/3 of all clothing items and I'll hand wash anything if needed
- PJ's are shorts and tank top that I can also use for workouts and pools
- Running shoes, slippers for the hotel

Personal items
- Costco swiss gear backpack that I stuff under the seat to avoid fighting for overhead storage
- iPad, laptop, dashcam/gps, sweater if needed, other small items, and 1 underwear :). Yes extra underwear in case my luggage gets lost/delayed which has happened before.
- snacks
- Standard wired earbud headphones. I have BT but found it kills the batteries in my ipad and iPhone faster so I stopped using them.
- Tip, use your laptop to charge your devices so you don't need to carry an extra battery pack. Some laptops you need to enable this in the bios. I'ave also seen some Dells that have a usb port on the battery to charge phones.

I also have bad motion sickness and will always pop a gravol before departure. I also carry some ginger chews and mints that helps reduce the dizzyness. Because of this I just try to sleep on planes and sometimes will watch a movie if my head isn't spinning too much.

Jlude
11-26-2019, 03:55 AM
Long haul:

Are you selling these? I could use 2

He's giving them away. Any AC status member (I think 50k and up) gets a booklet of lounge passes and other stuff when we get our annual member package with baggage tags, etc.

My parents/in-laws use mine.

JRSC00LUDE
11-26-2019, 08:37 AM
I prefer to fly after a well rested sleep so my arms don't tire as quickly.

Misterman
12-04-2019, 03:25 AM
I really need to try a set of these noise cancelling headphones. I have the Bose over ear ones, but not noise cancelling. Looks like those Sony ones are a few bucks cheaper than the Bose QC35's. Although the controls look terrible on them.

davidI
12-04-2019, 04:52 AM
I really need to try a set of these noise-cancelling headphones. I have the Bose over ear ones, but not noise cancelling. Looks like those Sony ones are a few bucks cheaper than the Bose QC35's. Although the controls look terrible on them.

The noise-cancelling headphones I've used are great. I've never bought them though because everyone I know who has had them, has eventually forgotten them in the seatback. I think the problem is that they come with a nice case that fits perfectly in a seatback pocket. I carry some <$100 Sony bluetooth over-ear headphones that I use for work calls and just put them in the seatback pocket with one ear sticking out when I'm not wearing them.

As far as flying goes, after probably 600+ flights (563 tracked: OpenFlights (https://openflights.org/user/baldpacker) ), I definitely have my idiosyncrasies.

I tend to pack light. If I can avoid checking luggage, I do. I have a trucker's bladder so I go for a window seat if I can.

I hit the lounge before the flight for a snack and a few drinks (typically hard stuff to maximize the buzz to bladder impact). I nick a bottle of water and newspaper/magazine if I can for the flight.

Just before boarding, I take out a little "flight kit" I made from an old business class amenity pouch that contains earphones, earplugs, eye mask, and a pen for customs/immigration forms. I also take out a sweater/long-sleeve shirt to wear if it's cold or use as a pillow if I don't have one.

I'm always extra nice to the cabin crew on boarding. I know quite a few and they definitely remember who is friendly/polite/useful and sometimes offer up little perks (extra mini-bottles/pillows/water/whatever) during the flight.

If there are movies I tend to put on the headphones and get into that. Nothing beats a bit of a buzz, a good movie, and having nothing to worry about on the ground below (work, in particular). I don't typically sleep well on flights so if there's not IFE I try to read or listen to podcasts and rest my eyes.

On exiting the aircraft I walk as fast as I can to get ahead of everyone for immigration/customs. I skip the escalators/elevators and take the stairs to get the blood flowing after sitting so long.

If I haven't checked a bag I'm through the airport like a rocket. If I have checked a bag, I go for a piss, rinse my face, fill my water bottle (if there's a fountain/potable water), and then go to the baggage carousel and wait.

lasimmon
12-04-2019, 08:37 AM
NC headphones, tablet, book.

rage2
12-04-2019, 09:06 AM
The noise-cancelling headphones I've used are great. I've never bought them though because everyone I know who has had them, has eventually forgotten them in the seatback. I think the problem is that they come with a nice case that fits perfectly in a seatback pocket. I carry some <$100 Sony bluetooth over-ear headphones that I use for work calls and just put them in the seatback pocket with one ear sticking out when I'm not wearing them.

As far as flying goes, after probably 600+ flights (563 tracked: OpenFlights (https://openflights.org/user/baldpacker) ), I definitely have my idiosyncrasies.

I tend to pack light. If I can avoid checking luggage, I do. I have a trucker's bladder so I go for a window seat if I can.

I hit the lounge before the flight for a snack and a few drinks (typically hard stuff to maximize the buzz to bladder impact). I nick a bottle of water and newspaper/magazine if I can for the flight.

Just before boarding, I take out a little "flight kit" I made from an old business class amenity pouch that contains earphones, earplugs, eye mask, and a pen for customs/immigration forms. I also take out a sweater/long-sleeve shirt to wear if it's cold or use as a pillow if I don't have one.

I'm always extra nice to the cabin crew on boarding. I know quite a few and they definitely remember who is friendly/polite/useful and sometimes offer up little perks (extra mini-bottles/pillows/water/whatever) during the flight.

If there are movies I tend to put on the headphones and get into that. Nothing beats a bit of a buzz, a good movie, and having nothing to worry about on the ground below (work, in particular). I don't typically sleep well on flights so if there's not IFE I try to read or listen to podcasts and rest my eyes.

On exiting the aircraft I walk as fast as I can to get ahead of everyone for immigration/customs. I skip the escalators/elevators and take the stairs to get the blood flowing after sitting so long.

If I haven't checked a bag I'm through the airport like a rocket. If I have checked a bag, I go for a piss, rinse my face, fill my water bottle (if there's a fountain/potable water), and then go to the baggage carousel and wait.
This is pretty much 99% of my routine as well, all the way to the exit. I've timed my best exit time from gate to taxi at 3.5 mins from the international terminal. Thank you Nexus.

tonytiger55
12-04-2019, 10:23 AM

How is your head after drinking and getting on the plane?
I surprised my parents a couple years ago by flying in on xmas day. My friend threw me a air Canada lounge pass. The same day my niece was born(UK). So I was celebrating in the Air Canada lounge. Free drinks! I got a awesome pre flight buzz..
OMG Im never drinking before a flight again...

I really need to try a set of these noise cancelling headphones. I have the Bose over ear ones, but not noise cancelling. Looks like those Sony ones are a few bucks cheaper than the Bose QC35's. Although the controls look terrible on them.

I picked up a set of Seinhauser BTC on sale (though i have to exchange it as I picked one up with a faulty cable).

lasimmon
12-04-2019, 10:27 AM
I surprised my parents a couple years ago by flying in on xmas day. My friend threw me a air Canada lounge pass. The same day my niece was born(UK). So I was celebrating in the Air Canada lounge. Free drinks! I got a awesome pre flight buzz..
OMG Im never drinking before a flight again...

I picked up a set of Seinhauser BTC on sale (though i have to exchange it as I picked one up with a faulty cable).

I don't fly very well and usually have 2 or more drinks prior to flying.. never have had an issue.

davidI
12-04-2019, 10:45 AM

It's fine. I can handle my booze pretty well. There have been a few times I boarded a late night / early morning flight straight from a night club in Dubai to my hotel to grab my luggage to the flight... I sleep pretty well on those ones!

Once on Emirates business class I went through 2.5 bottles of Dom on the flight - there were very few pax and the stewardess seemed to think it would be fun to just get me steamin'.

Another time with BA economy I asked for a double G&T and this old British lass was great - she handed me 2 mini bottles and 2 mini cans of tonic and winked at me. I didn't really get why she handed me the double tonics until a few minutes later when she back-handed me 2 more bottles of gin. She kept backhanding me mini-bottles 2 at a time through the rest of the flight (probably ended up having 5 doubles thanks to her haha.

Another time on an AC economy flight from Montreal to Calgary I sat next to an older construction guy from up North and we got to chatting about his projects in Russia and Mongolia and what not and he kept on buying double Jack and Cokes for us. The rest of the passengers were not impressed haha.

Another time in Thai business to Bangkok I sat next to a Kiwi guy who was a commodity trader that was going to meet his buddies for a charity golf thing. It sounded mental - if they hit a water hazard it was $500. Sand $200. Bogey $100. Double $200. etc. etc. etc. Just wealthy lads out to piss it up and have a good time. Anyways, he and I sampled every whisky they had on the flight. The FA was great about it and we even started doing blind tastings and guessing what we were having.

EK's A380 business has a bar in the back so that always leads to a little extra consumption.

Usually, I don't chat to whoever is sitting next to me but sometimes it ends up being a great ol' time.

Manhattan
12-04-2019, 02:01 PM

That's a whole lotta flights. Are you still doing the backpacking thing? Avoiding China like the plague I see haha

ExtraSlow
12-04-2019, 02:09 PM
As far as flying goes, after probably 600+ flights (563 tracked: OpenFlights (https://openflights.org/user/baldpacker) ), I definitely have my idiosyncrasies. 57 trips between Dubai and Sanaa Yemen? Wow dude. Wow.

davidI
12-04-2019, 02:49 PM
That's a whole lotta flights. Are you still doing the backpacking thing? Avoiding China like the plague I see haha

Yes and no. Slowing down a bit after ~120 countries. I still have a few places I'd like to get to in the next few years but most I'm not in a rush to visit. I'll probably top out at 150 countries and then just keep returning to my favourites.

The whole visa thing for China, Russia, Mongolia, Brazil, etc. can be a pain in the arse when living overseas as well. I haven't checked the requirements recently but they usually need you to send your passport to Ottawa or another consul, which I can't very well be done while traveling. I've been to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau but China mainland is definitely still on the hit list.

57 trips between Dubai and Sanaa Yemen? Wow dude. Wow.

Home sweet home. Haven't been able to go back and get my things from my apartment for nearly 5 years now due to that pesky war so I'm moving to Spain in 2020.

tonytiger55
12-04-2019, 02:59 PM
Yes and no. Slowing down a bit after ~120 countries. I still have a few places I'd like to get to in the next few years but most I'm not in a rush to visit. I'll probably top out at 150 countries and then just keep returning to my favourites.

The whole visa thing for China, Russia, Mongolia, Brazil, etc. can be a pain in the arse when living overseas as well. I haven't checked the requirements recently but they usually need you to send your passport to Ottawa or another consul, which I can't very well be done while traveling. I've been to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau but China mainland is definitely still on the hit list.

Home sweet home. Haven't been able to go back and get my things from my apartment for nearly 5 years now due to that pesky war so I'm moving to Spain in 2020.

Wow... where has been your favorite travel places?
Which places (countries, cities) have the best food? Details of food please.

davidI
12-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Wow... where has been your favorite travel places?
Which places (countries, cities) have the best food? Details of food please.

I don't want to hijack the thread but countries that come to mind include Sri Lanka, Japan, Myanmar, Namibia, South Africa, Moldova, Bulgaria, Colombia, Peru, and Spain. I've been to most at least twice for a month or more but I could easily spend a year or two in any of those listed above.

Best food: Japan, Spain, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Peru, and Turkey come to mind. (Europe, in general, is great and of course, big cities like NYC, Dubai, Austin, Vancouver, Tokyo, etc. always have great restaurants) Details on the food and what's good really depends on the region and time of year (i.e. what's locally fresh and available at that time).

revelations
12-04-2019, 05:28 PM
^ Namibia

Definitely need a quick back story - and worth a quick thread derail. I would have never guess it would be an "A" place to visit! (usually the ones you never hear, are)

Masked Bandit
12-04-2019, 05:37 PM
Direct.

Always direct.

I hate connecting flights. I will pay a lot of extra money to not connect.

tonytiger55
12-04-2019, 06:29 PM
^ Namibia

Definitely need a quick back story - and worth a quick thread derail. I would have never guess it would be an "A" place to visit! (usually the ones you never hear, are)
+1
Yeah we gona need a back story and details of the food there please...

Gainsbarre
12-04-2019, 10:34 PM

I might be catching up to you, especially since 2017 ;) OpenFlights (https://openflights.org/user/gainsbarre)

My habits are nearly identical, except that I always choose an aisle seat (I consume a lot of liquids and like to get up when I can), I load up by iPad with TV shows (I fall asleep fairly easily on airplanes, so I find it preferable to start watching shorter videos than movies), and I like downloading the airline apps, especially for Delta and United to see if I have a free upgrade waiting for me at the gate after check-in. I had one of those neck pillows years ago, but found it to be a major inconvenience after a few flights. The bendable headrests on most flights do the trick for me.

I used the pouch that came with my noise cancelling headphones as my flight kit, but I did forget the pouch on a flight one day (fortunately that's all that I left behind), so I just use a small plastic grocery bag for this purpose and I usually get a few trips out of it.

Flight attendants in premium cabins seem to supply you with a lot of liquor. I happened to score a rare free upgrade in October on a flight to another continent (Chicago to Sao Paulo) and the flight attendant kept giving me full 12 ounce glasses of bourbon upon request.

I always walk quickly to get to customs at YYC and pretty much any other airport, although things are much faster now at YYC with the automated kiosks. Nearly every international flight I've taken has had the main bottle neck at passport control, so I always either use the washroom on the plane when landing or wait until after passport control to use the washroom - I don't think I've ever been in an airport that didn't have a washroom close to the baggage carousels after passport control.

davidI
12-05-2019, 03:25 AM
^ Namibia

+1
Yeah we gona need a back story and details of the food there please...

Namibia was a bit of a surprise to me and I'm not exactly sure why I enjoyed it so much. The people were definitely part of it. They remind me a bit of Kiwis... always up for good spirited banter and a laugh. I remember walking barefoot everywhere (even in towns), taking after our Namibian driver, which was also good fun. They're heavily influenced by the Germans so decent beer, good bread, and loads of jaggermeister everywhere.

There isn't as much wildlife or beaches like in other African countries but there is a ton of stunning nature - the sand dunes, deadvlei, fish canyon, etc. Seeing/meeting the Himbas was also very cool but I do have concerns about them being exploited for tourism.

As far as food goes, we were camping so mostly preparing our own stuff. That said, Joe's Bierhaus in Windhoek put on an amazing barbecue and they had lots of unique game meat available (ostrich, kudu, etc.) I recall having a 2kg game knuckle and eating it viking style (wrapping my hand around the bone and pulling off flesh and meat with my teeth) and washing it all down with glass after glass of Jagger.

As with any trip, it's about the people you meet and your own personal experiences but I'm keen to return to Namibia sooner rather than later.

I might be catching up to you, especially since 2017 ;) OpenFlights (https://openflights.org/user/gainsbarre)

Nice work!! Are you afraid of the Indian Ocean or flying over India/Pakistan for some reason??

You'll probably catch up to me as I'm really trying to reduce my flying given the environmental impact. I'll hopefully be keeping it to <10 flights/year going forward but we'll see what life brings.

Gainsbarre
12-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Nice work!! Are you afraid of the Indian Ocean or flying over India/Pakistan for some reason??

You'll probably catch up to me as I'm really trying to reduce my flying given the environmental impact. I'll hopefully be keeping it to <10 flights/year going forward but we'll see what life brings.

No travel fears whatsoever, and I've been on flights turbulent enough to cause panic among passengers with items popping out of the overhead bins. I even watch episodes of Mayday ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayday_(Canadian_TV_series) ) while flying and have seen every episode from season 9 onwards this way on my iPad. Indian and Subsaharan Africa are very high on my list - I just need to find the vacation time (and maybe a flight deal, although those are becoming less important to me as of late). Very cool to hear about your travel stories in Africa. :) I tried a bunch of exotic meats for the first time (including crocodile and kangaroo) at a Christmas market in Belfast, Northern Ireland of all places back in December 2016. No kudu yet though...

I travelled a bit as a toddler, then didn't set foot on an airplane from 1991 until 2005. Started off very slowly again (essentially one flight per year for a few years) before flying out of town essentially every time there's a long weekend or I have at least 3 days off these past few years. It's often either a red eye flight on a Thursday/Friday after a full day of work (or a 6 am flight on Saturday), then a late arrival back in Calgary either late Sunday or Monday and off to work <6 hours after arriving back home. I might be slowing down a bit again as I took a new job that offers less vacation time this year, but who knows. :D

davidI
12-05-2019, 07:40 AM
I was just kidding about being afraid - seems you've been everywhere minus the gap over India!

CompletelyNumb
12-05-2019, 02:37 PM
101 segments
297227 km
17 days 11:04

I'm a peasant compared to you folks!

My travel style these days: runners, jeans, hoodie. Cell phone with 2 sets of ear buds, one wireless for music, one wired for plane movies if provided.

On short trips, carry-on only. Get into boarding group 1 or 2 so I can actually store my carry-on. Window seat. On longer trips with checked bags (I wont carry-on in this case), I simply board dead last and sit wherever I want. #imthatasshole Premium Economy seats don't generally have a headcount like business or first class, and are often empty.

rage2
12-06-2019, 12:51 AM
181 segments
628568 km
36 days 6:35

I’m missing a ton of flights, just populated what I have on record still. Probably closer to 40 days would be my best guess as the missing ones are all shorter flights.

ercchry
12-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Ended up having my flight canceled and am now stuck at yyz for a few extra hours... lounges, all I have to add... even without passes it’s cheaper than food and a couple drinks with the pleabs... and I’m taking advantage of the bar for sure :rofl:

Gainsbarre
12-07-2019, 07:24 AM
Ended up having my flight canceled and am now stuck at yyz for a few extra hours... lounges, all I have to add... even without passes it’s cheaper than food and a couple drinks with the pleabs... and I’m taking advantage of the bar for sure :rofl:

I assume you went to a Maple Leaf Lounge? They're pretty decent, with hot cooked food, free alcohol and signs at the bar to say that staff don't expect tips. I've had quite a few Bulleit borbons at Maple Leaf Lounges. Contrast this with a United Club where the only free alcohol is bottled Miller Lite or Budweiser :barf: and everything else is $5 USD and up. Don't ever pay or use a pass (if you have a limited number of them) to enter a United Club.

Misterman
12-07-2019, 04:55 PM

I have to roll through almost once a week with a 2 hour lay over. I generally just grab breakfast at that little pub sort of place in the Air Canada section. What is the cost on the lounge? Maybe I'll just try that out next time.

ercchry
12-07-2019, 05:31 PM
$32usd... so like $40?

MalibuStacy
12-07-2019, 07:29 PM
I prefer to fly after a well rested sleep so my arms don't tire as quickly.

Clever very clever

Misterman
12-07-2019, 08:01 PM
One way I like to fly, is upgraded to plus seating, and not on an Air Canada flight if I can help it. I'm just about to hit Silver status with WestJet. Interested to see if that brings any upgrade offers my way, but guessing I'll need gold status to see much of anything. Do you have to actually take the flight before you get the tier credits for it? Like you don't get the credits just for purchasing the flight?

ExtraSlow
12-07-2019, 08:28 PM
You need to take the flight to get the rewards.

Misterman
12-07-2019, 10:33 PM
You need to take the flight to get the rewards.

Thanks. Should have my status upgrade already then with my booked flights.

Kobe
12-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Edit: Deleting cause I don't remember full details haha

tonytiger55
12-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Are lounges worth it..?

I have a five hour layover in Minneapolis on Thursday..

killramos
12-17-2019, 04:42 PM
How much can you Eat and drink for the 27 USD entry fee (or whatever it is).

Being away from the riff raff though, that’s priceless.

I consider a lounge to be largely an alternative to a restaurant, same same.

ExtraSlow
12-17-2019, 05:17 PM
Five fucking hours? That's a travel planning fail, but for that length of time, the lounge is probably decent value.

I like my tight connections, 90 minutes is my normal target for USA airports.

tonytiger55
12-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Five fucking hours? That's a travel planning fail, but for that length of time, the lounge is probably decent value.

I like my tight connections, 90 minutes is my normal target for USA airports.

Ya its long. It was that or pay a extra $400 for the ticket, sit in shitty narrow seats and fly Air Canada. I purposely looked for non Air Canada.

The lounge is $45 USD. I just wonder about the food.

revelations
12-17-2019, 05:38 PM
Ya its long. It was that or pay a extra $400 for the ticket, sit in shitty narrow seats and fly Air Canada. I purposely looked for non Air Canada.

The lounge is $45 USD. I just wonder about the food.

Lounge by what carrier/alliance?

ercchry
12-17-2019, 07:00 PM
Food is mediocre usually... but so is all airport food. If you will surpass 3 drinks and a meal it’s hands down the best airport value... plus cookies, love cookies

roopi
12-17-2019, 07:06 PM
Depends on the lounge. If its the priority pass lounges they aren't that good imo and I'd rather go to a restaurant/ bar to kill the time.

ExtraSlow
12-17-2019, 07:32 PM
If it's the ones with a shower, I'm in. I love extra showers.

tonytiger55
12-17-2019, 07:58 PM
Lounge by what carrier/alliance?

Im flying Delta.
There is a Escape Lounge and Delta Sky Club. Reviews point to Escape lounge..
I'l see how cheap I wanna be when I get there. I'l prob find a quite part of the airport and mong out..

CompletelyNumb
12-18-2019, 02:38 AM
I was at that Escape Lounge earlier this year. Food was decent. As good as any soup/salad/sandwich bar you've been to, plus some hot foods. Liquor flowed fast. They can't make an old fashioned worth a shit however. I got my money's worth while knocking some work out.

flipstah
12-18-2019, 05:16 AM
Just landed in London.

I love rage2 tip of hitting the sauce. I guess I'm a lightweight because two gin and sodas made me pass out for the whole flight rofl.

ANC made a BIG difference. Sennheiser did a great job minimizing the drone.

Uber is still here for now yay

npham
12-18-2019, 10:14 AM
Depends on the lounge. If its the priority pass lounges they aren't that good imo and I'd rather go to a restaurant/ bar to kill the time.

I'd agree with this. The Air Canada Signature Suite in Toronto is awesome, BA's business lounge in Heathrow was nice too, but the business lounge in Frankfurt (Lufthansa) was so busy and dirty.

SkiBum5.0
12-18-2019, 10:26 AM
I'd agree with this. The Air Canada Signature Suite in Toronto is awesome, BA's business lounge in Heathrow was nice too, but the business lounge in Frankfurt (Lufthansa) was so busy and dirty.

Just switched my regular EU port of call from LHR to Frankfurt. Lounges downgrade is big. We buy Business Class in bulk at the beginning of the year - 30 trips, but we only get one choice per region (EU, Asia etc)

tonytiger55
12-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Just switched my regular EU port of call from LHR to Frankfurt. Lounges downgrade is big. We buy Business Class in bulk at the beginning of the year - 30 trips, but we only get one choice per region (EU, Asia etc)

What are the differences that you see..?

rage2
12-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Frankfurt has a lot of options if you're flying business class. I'm mostly spending my time in B (where AC gates are) where there's 2 LH lounges, and 1 AC lounge. The LH lounge is busier, and yea def older, but there's a massive selection of alcohol to choose from. Also for smokers, there's a private smoking room. AC, way cleaner, better food (fresher fruits), healthier drink choices. Can handle all your doc check there. Much quieter if I want a nap. Typically, I use both, as I have a 4 hour layover there.

tonytiger55
12-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Soooo I boarded the plane this morning. My Osprey backpack cut into my belly pretty bad. I realised how tubby I have become. Not good.
On the plus side the noise cancelling headphones made a massive difference on the flight. Hoy crap.

Ive been here in Minneapolis airport for over two hours. I went for a gander around trying to find a place to chill and eat.

The temptation of McDonalds nearly got me. Oh boy it nearly did. It called my name....and I fast walked to summon that calling....But as I walked Mcdonalds .. Now Im not hating on the poor server (I mean I did that job too in my teens) but she was the sheer advertisement to why you should not eat there. If there was ever a reason why one should not eat there, that was it. That put me right off.

Disappointed...I mooched on..
I ended up sitting at a bar with a unfriendly bartender who I think was a functioning alcoholic. He kept on trying to make me have a double. Hell by the look on his face, I think he wanted to pour himself one.
I tried getting chatting with the milfy blonde next to me. She was too into her laptop and answering work calls. She mentioned she was a area manager for a fitness company. She was boasting about how they opened up 35 new locations this year. Judging by the size of the people here, I about to say I was not surprised. But I managed to catch my mouth trying to work faster than my brain.

I left after one drink, the food menu scared me. The items had a calorie count. Just one food order had my entire daily recommended allowance.
I walked around and found Asian foodie place. The lady in front of me was taking ages, then when she went to pay even that too a long time. Then I realised she had ordered THREE.... THREEEEE entrees for herself! Fucking helll! and I here I am struggling to eat just the one.

So the food gave me heartburn, it was a lot of munchy... So I went to take a dump. I noticed all the toilet stalls seemed to be wide. At first I thought, how nice..maybe they catering for wheelchair users.. Nope they are all just WIDE.

I decided to go for a walk and there was a massage place...just when I thought I saw it all... A morbidly obese woman was laying back in a fat chair, scrolling through her phone...and getting a foot massage by a poor skinny African girl. The masseuse glanced over to me. We made eye contact.. it was a mixture of sheer look of pain in her eyes and constrained attempt at not to gag. Fuck this.. I need to get outa this airport.

Two and a half hours left. I cant find a nice seat with a view of the plans.
Im too scared to eat the kit Kat and the giant packet of M&M's next to me in case I turn into one of them.
I found my motivation to join Goodlife in January.. This layover is too surreal.

ExtraSlow
12-19-2019, 03:45 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Americans are fat.

You'd love Oklahoma bro.

rage2
12-19-2019, 04:05 PM
Two and a half hours left. I cant find a nice seat with a view of the plans.
The best views are typically taken up by the lounges. Ironically enough, the best view in Frankfurt is at McDonalds.

bjstare
12-19-2019, 04:32 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Americans are fat.

Haha my thoughts exactly.

roopi
12-19-2019, 06:04 PM
The calorie count on menus in the USA is very common. Not sure if it's required but I see it alot.

revelations
12-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Even if McD was the only place to eat thats convenient, if you stay away from their diabetes drinks, thats probably 2/3 of the weight issues solved right away. Sugar (and thus, insulin) are HUUUUGE bodily fat storage promoters.

With the self-order menus, you can go low carb without the bun too for most of their burgers. Its just a chicken salad at that point.

Also whats scary is that MSP state/region is not even considered the 'fat' part of America.

captain134
12-19-2019, 10:45 PM

I have the Sony and they were awesome on the plane today. It is actually startling when you take them off after a long time and realize how loud it is lol. I actually like the gesture controls and the NFC tap to connect is a great feature. Also you can put your hand over one side and it will turn off the noise cancelling if someone is talking to you or something like that.

As a side note. Flying Yellowknife to Calgary today was freezing in seat 2D. I guess not surprising coming from a place that had -56c windchill yesterday but didn't expect it on the plane. I was even wearing thermal pants and socks.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-20-2019, 05:20 PM
I was told today was the busiest travel day of the year, but it took me
17 mins from exiting my ride to being at my gate at international.

flipstah
12-20-2019, 05:39 PM
You should be super familiar with your card insurance policies.

Fun fact: it's not trip interruption when France goes on strike and disrupts rail/air travel.

I'm landlocked right now.

Edit: should be on the CC thread. Sorry peeps. Mods if someone can move it please?

tonytiger55
12-22-2019, 03:16 AM
I ended up at a local curry house... then onto a pub after.
It turned out to be a typical night out here. A guy started arguing with a bouncer over drinks or something. It was getting heated.
There was a live band, a bit of a rough crowd. But everyone was dressed up.
Then we and my buddy were told to move to the front to finish our drinks as the place was closing.
As we were leaving a couple of drunk girls were picking fights with the bouncers at the front door while thier bf was trying to calm things down with the manager.
As we were leaving it was kicking off...
I miss the pubs here..

Brent.ff
01-17-2020, 08:34 AM
Anyone had success with the upgrade bids..when bidding the minimum? We bid on the upgrade to the Skycouch on airnz for next week, but im pretty cheap

taemo
01-17-2020, 09:45 AM
have to say that I love red-eye flights for long flights (10hr+)

we flew Round-trip Vancouver to Manila (14hr and 12hr flights) with a toddler and if you can endure and sleep in sardine class then it will only feel like a 4-6 hour flight.

big thanks to rage2 for hooking me up with 2 AC lounge passes, made the 2 hour layover from YVR-YYC more pleasant.

flipstah
01-17-2020, 12:38 PM
Anyone had success with the upgrade bids..when bidding the minimum? We bid on the upgrade to the Skycouch on airnz for next week, but im pretty cheap

Bid on upgrades? Expand...

gqmw
01-17-2020, 12:54 PM

I personally rarely try as I have eUps, but I have heard that others have had success bidding the minimum for domestic flights. I can't comment on the success for an international flight or on airnz. Skycouch looks cool though.

Brent.ff
01-17-2020, 01:09 PM
Bid on upgrades? Expand...

https://www.airnewzealand.ca/oneup

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/upgrades/frequently-asked-questions.html

Essentially, buy your seat. Can then throw a bid amount for an upgrade, rather then praying and hoping for one..(or if you have godpower.. which i dont)

Mitsu3000gt
01-17-2020, 02:07 PM

I bid only $45 above the minimum (My thinking was that most people would do $10 or 20 tops thinking they were clever) and got first class both ways to Iceland. The "recommended" bid price was something ridiculous like $800. There were empty seats still on the way there so I would have got it for the minimum at least one way.

2Legit2Quit
01-17-2020, 02:50 PM

I did once when the bidding option came out from AC, cheap flight to Houston, tossed up the minimum bid guessing it wouldn't win/go through but it did. Was meh and haven't bothered to try again, along with I avoid AC as much as I can.

Brent.ff
01-17-2020, 02:54 PM
I bid only $45 above the minimum (My thinking was that most people would do $10 or 20 tops thinking they were clever) and got first class both ways to Iceland. The "recommended" bid price was something ridiculous like $800. There were empty seats still on the way there so I would have got it for the minimum at least one way.

ooo good choice. bumping my bid lol

My flight back from NZ. the minimum bid for an upgrade is $2300 PER PERSON..

Nope

flipstah
01-20-2020, 11:12 AM
Are there restrictions on bidding? I know some economy flights are unable to be refunded, so does the 'upgrading' option also applies to this?

revelations
01-20-2020, 11:46 AM
I've bid on domestics - but I know the routine for these flights and as such I've been able to score biz class (1-2 hours) for 40-100$.

Obviously bidding on the 24th of December will yield you a vastly different result than 24th Jan.

CompletelyNumb
01-23-2020, 11:13 AM
I wish WestJet would allow any arbitrary number as a bid, and not their 'recommended amounts' slider. Minimum bid is often close to the price difference on tickets.

Brent.ff
01-23-2020, 11:30 AM
I wish WestJet would allow any arbitrary number as a bid, and not their 'recommended amounts' slider. Minimum bid is often close to the price difference on tickets.

motivates you to buy the higher one. Seems like they all have that, as they dont want guys sneaking into business for $1 if no one else bids.

i got a 'we cannot accept your offer..yet'. So assume they're waiting for more bids. Still hoping for that damn couch

Brent.ff
01-25-2020, 11:14 PM
No love on the skycouch. They had one available at the gate for double my bid. Didn’t take it

Misterman
01-31-2020, 06:45 AM

Yeah iirc the one I did was like 135$ min bid. It was accepted, but regular upgrade was only 180$ anyway. At least it was a plane with real premium class, and not one of the old ones left with the basic seats and a blocker in the middle seat.