PDA

View Full Version : Statute of limitations for unacceptable behavior?

ExtraSlow
11-26-2019, 03:03 PM
So, the discussion around alleged racist comments by Bill Peters got me thinking about this. For behaviour that is not illegal, but which is currently not acceptable, do you think there should be a statute of limitations for repercussions? For people in the public eye, like entertainers, politicians, professional athletes and coaches, your conduct reflects on your employers and sponsors. How old is too old? Is there any length of time that would render such allegations harmless? Is it a case of "once a racist, always a racist"?

Beyond, what do you think?

pheoxs
11-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Is it a case of "once a racist, always a racist"?

Majority of the time .... yeah. The only difference is that now they just don't say those comments out loud.

Antonito
11-26-2019, 03:24 PM
Majority of the time .... yeah. The only difference is that now they just don't say those comments out loud. Depends on the situation. If someone is a teenager or we're talking about old people back in the day, there's a very good chance they have changed their ways. Teens because their brains haven't formed yet, and old people because social norms were different back in the day and since then all the old shit has been replaced.

If someone in their 30s in 2005 was saying racist shit, yeah most likely they knew better then and now they just hold it in

pheoxs
11-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Depends on the situation. If someone is a teenager or we're talking about old people back in the day, there's a very good chance they have changed their ways. Teens because their brains haven't formed yet, and old people because social norms were different back in the day and since then all the old shit has been replaced.

If someone in their 30s in 2005 was saying racist shit, yeah most likely they knew better then and now they just hold it in

Teenager, maybe, they can still learn and change. But old people? Doubt it. If anything they are more set in their ways than anyone.

Mitsu3000gt
11-26-2019, 03:31 PM
In my personal experience, which certainly is not a catch-all, changing people's minds in terms core values/beliefs is pretty much impossible if they are already around 40+ years old. Doesn't matter what the facts are.

My brother visited my great grandparents a while ago, and for whatever reason they were talking about Obama - the conversation stopped abruptly, and they were like "...but he's black..." haha. Nicest people in the world, yet somehow incredibly racist. I guess they grew up in a time where owning a person was no big deal, so you can kind of understand why they think like that, but it doesn't make it right by any means.

dirtsniffer
11-26-2019, 03:34 PM
once a blackfacer always a blackfacer

rage2
11-26-2019, 03:43 PM
So, the discussion around alleged racist comments by Bill Peters got me thinking about this. For behaviour that is not illegal, but which is currently not acceptable, do you think there should be a statute of limitations for repercussions? For people in the public eye, like entertainers, politicians, professional athletes and coaches, your conduct reflects on your employers and sponsors. How old is too old? Is there any length of time that would render such allegations harmless? Is it a case of "once a racist, always a racist"?

Depends on what narrative I want today.

CompletelyNumb
11-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Depends if they appear to be left or right wing based in their political beliefs, doesn't it? :drama:

lilmira
11-26-2019, 06:04 PM
The street court doesn't care about facts or reasons. It's all based on emotion. If it feels good at the time, it's the right call.

ThePenIsMightier
11-26-2019, 09:34 PM
My brother visited my great grandparents a while ago...
I guess they grew up in a time where owning a person was no big deal, so you can kind of understand why they think like that, but it doesn't make it right by any means.

Your great grand parents are... Roughly 189 years old and from the United States?

The_Rural_Juror
11-26-2019, 09:38 PM
What is the statute of limitations on good behaviour?

ZenOps
11-27-2019, 06:44 AM
No good deed goes unpunished?

Some people get compensated for effort, I'm just happy to not be penalized for results.

mr2mike
11-27-2019, 08:53 AM
I thought as a Canadian you just say, Sorry, open your wallet a bit and all good.
My Federal Leader believes this is the path to enlightenment.

Xtrema
11-27-2019, 03:29 PM

I like it better when there is no social media where hearsay doesn't travel as fast or have as much impact.

As for Peters, the tin foil hat on me think the timing is suspicious and Flames mgmt may stand behind him if the team isn't in such downward spiral right now.

Swank
12-02-2019, 03:05 PM
Teenager, maybe, they can still learn and change. But old people? Doubt it. If anything they are more set in their ways than anyone.

My wife's 99 year old grandma still has her Golliwog doll, that shit ain't changing.

mr2mike
12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
When I was 18 months old. Some kid shoved me in day home... How do I call him out on Twitter?

ThePenIsMightier
12-03-2019, 10:00 AM
When I was 18 months old. Some kid shoved me in day home... How do I call him out on Twitter?

LoL!
I am pretty sure that one time when I was about 2, my mom was changing my diaper and I'm pretty sure she wiped my ass back to front.
I'm creating a Kickstarter campaign.