PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Beer Advent Calendar Review

ThePenIsMightier
12-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Hi. I like beer. I like beer Advent Calendars. I used to always get the SnowCase by Phillips Brewing from Victoria but they seem to have discontinued it. The last two years I've snagged the one from Costco and I've got it again this year.
I think I'll create this thread to review each beer daily from the Costco kit. Stay tuned for the first review very shortly. Feel free to reply to each daily review and vehemently argue how wrong I am because taste in beer is fairly individual. They will be brief as I don't believe in blabbering on and on about the "notes of blah blah blah" or an in depth analysis of the terroir.
It's a fuckin beer. Figure it out.

ThePenIsMightier
12-01-2019, 07:14 PM
*Update bonus - I guess I forgot that all these cans are pints, not regular. I bought it a long time ago...

DAY 1: BIG RIG CANADIAN AMBER
From Big Rig Brewery in Kanata, Ontario.

Yummy. A nice light style that's very approachable with nothing too controversial. Best served painfully cold. A touch of wheat flavour and a touch of sweetness without tasting like someone put a teaspoon of sugar in it (Kokanee, I'm looking your way).
I think I'd buy this if I saw it at a store.

ExtraSlow
12-01-2019, 07:15 PM
ExtraSlow supports beer advent calendar reviews.

Thaco
12-01-2019, 11:11 PM
i got the costco one last year, too much whacky shit for me, if i were to do one again i'd just get 24 people to go in and buy a 24 of their favorite beer and build our own.

lasimmon
12-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Yah I did last years as well and about 6-8 of them had to be poured out. Not worth it this year, but will follow along to see how it turns out.

powerslave
12-02-2019, 12:45 PM
I've not tried the Costco one yet, but the last few years have been doing the CraftBeer series Advent calendars. This year the focus is Belgian beers, the first one was pretty good, but as Thaco said, sometimes they have wacky flavors (peanut butter chocolate beer... not that good...). Also some of them can be over 10% alcohol, which can be a pain. Did discover nitro milk stouts through the advent calendar, so there's that. Sorry, my reply didn't really help out the thread, but keep up the reviews!

Brent.ff
12-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Got a photo of the full advent calendar? I didnt go looking for it, maybe i should have. How much they cost?

asp integra
12-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Buddy of mine puts together the costco calenders every year. I will have to try one!

mzdspd
12-02-2019, 02:09 PM
My wife makes me one every year.. She just uses a old wine box and goes to a local store known for beer selection and they help her pick them out.

ThePenIsMightier
12-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Got a photo of the full advent calendar? I didnt go looking for it, maybe i should have. How much they cost?

I vaguely recall they're about $85? Maybe??

ThePenIsMightier
12-02-2019, 09:26 PM
DAY 2: SUPER SYMMETRY OATMEAL STOUT
From Category 12 Brewing on the Saanich Peninsula near Victoria, BC. (Home of legit NHL players Jamie and Jordie Benn).

It's pretty much fuckin delicious.
Darker than a black bear's ass at midnight and quite gently carbonated, as one may expect. Full of all the right flavours but no dominance from the toasty or caramel ends of the spectrum. That was a bit of a surprise, but not a let down. A nice & gentle 5.9% alcohol makes this well-placed for a Monday, December 2 as there will be some whoppers in this calendar case and if I got one today, I swear I'd have trouble not getting carried away and missing work tomorrow. (Pssst - "missing" it wouldn't necessarily be my feeling, Bob!)
They state that all their beer is unfiltered and sediment is expected. I honestly didn't expect it from a stout, but you see it during the last couple sips and it's surprisingly grotesque looking. Big deal, but... It really looks like... Shit.

I'd buy this again if I was shopping for a stout, which is a rare occurrence, but it was a perfectly nice treat.

ThePenIsMightier
12-03-2019, 08:57 PM
DAY 3: LIGHTER LAGER
From Spearhead Brewing in Kingston, Ontario.

This is an easy one. It's everything you like about Grasshopper and maybe only 5% of what you don't like. It's slightly, barely cloudy which is surprising for a lower alcohol lager but that's fine. It is missing most of that tart, wheat flavour that makes Grasshopper sit heavy in your belly. Much more crisp and clean with good carbonation and a pleasant, palatable taste.
This would be a proper session beer. The term "session beer" has lost ALL meaning with this hipster nonsense but this is truly one that you could sit down and drink 100oz of over a long, summer evening. Only 4.2% alcohol.

I really like it, yet I can't picture many occasions when I'd actually buy it. Plus, I can't recall ever hearing of one of this brewery's beers out here or ever seeing one for sale. Maybe I'm wrong.

you&me
12-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Was in Costco last weekend, saw the advent calendars and passed... May reconsider and have to play catch-up...

ThePenIsMightier
12-04-2019, 07:45 PM
DAY 4: BLACKSMITH
From Village Brewing in Calgary.

Always loves me a Black Lager although they call this a Black Ale and it does seem a little different. I frequently order this on tap at pubs. Nice & toasty and not too heavy but a little heavier than many black lagers I've had. A very suitable Christmas beer but not a crazy Bock or Porter, at all. Just a hint of things to come.
So far, we are four for four but I put tomorrow's selection in the fridge already and it's got a chance of breaking the streak. Stay tuned...

ThePenIsMightier
12-05-2019, 08:27 PM
DAY 5: WHITE KNUCKLE White IPA
From Mt. Begbie Brewing Company in beautiful Revelstoke, BC.

IBU of 40 and enough bits of coriander, chamomile, orange & lemon peel to make it not just cloudy, but literally have floaties! All signs point to disaster.
I find I can enjoy IBU up to about 30 and some rare exceptions where the higher number is somehow balanced by something else that isn't also objectionable.
This isn't that, but it was still surprisingly OK. I had no trouble drinking it. It's not overly bitter and not a lemon peel mess, so that was nice.
Mt. Begbie makes so many excellent beers, so props to them.
This ain't for me, but still a great chance to try something out of your comfort zone over the holidays.

ThePenIsMightier
12-06-2019, 06:48 PM
DAY 6: GAHAN BLUEBERRY ALE
From Prince Edward Island Brewing Company

Will update later as I got a hot date.
Fruits and berries in beer is for girls, so I guess I gotta find myself saying "who wants to pound my vag?!!!?"
because this shit is good, as is virtually EVERYTHING from PEI Brewing. I wish we could get Beach Chair here.
More later...

Edit Update: This is quite wonderful. Like their label says, it's not afraid to be a beer. It somehow tastes like zero alcohol but it's still 4.5% and it's the only blueberry product I've ever consumed that doesn't make your burps smell like gangrene anus wrinkle, so that's a plus.

ThePenIsMightier
12-08-2019, 10:19 AM
DAY 7: BIG RIG GOLD LAGERED ALE
From Kanata, Ontario.

Second one from Big Rig within the first week seems odd. It's plenty good but a little too plain and a little too much wheat flavour. I'm getting a little nervous that nearly everything from the first week has been fairly neutral and approachable. I don't want 75% of the rest to be concentrated hop juice from a spittoon.

*I updated the blueberry one from the previous day and sorry I'm late with this one!

thinmyster
12-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Enjoying this. Keep it up.

ThePenIsMightier
12-08-2019, 08:55 PM
DAY 8: TORQUE BLONDE
From Torque Brewing Company in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

One third through, already! It's making me nervous how quickly the time is passing. Thanks again for the nice comments and Rep but always feel free to say I'm full of shit if you think I've missed the mark on something.

Today's beer is one of the most ideal candidates I've ever come across to get someone off of the typical Molson/Labatt/Coors train and step into micro brewed beer. The worst thing you can do is hand someone an Electric Unicorn stinky, cloudy, hop bomb trying to get that Old Milwaukee out of their hand. All that does is teach them "I don't like micro brew" when they totally could have gotten into it with a better first step.
So, in a way, that's a compliment to Torque Blonde but in another way, it also means it's just a bit bland. Extremely safe and that's great - it's just not a treat.

Once again, I've never seen a product from this brewery out here, so I'm super grateful for the opportunity. I don't think I'd buy this unless, like I said, I was trying to create a new convert or just wanted something that's a safe bet for a party or camping.

I'm still getting nervous the I'm staring down a solid week of Bock at some point because there has been so much Lager, but we'll see... I've even stuck tomorrow's in the fridge already and it's a freaking light beer!

ThePenIsMightier
12-09-2019, 08:44 PM
DAY 9: LIGHT PILSNER
From Goat Locker Brewing Co. in Lethbridge, Alberta.

Another easy drinking lager-esque beer! This thing is crazy! I wasn't looking forward to this, but I gotta keep an open mind and it was easy once I cracked this open.

Have you ever been to Vegas and started most of your days off with a heavy-double vodka soda before a trainwreck day of day-drinking debauchery where at some point your mouth starts to feel dry and you become concerned you're going to get kicked out of Gilley's because you fall back into your chair when you try to get up to go to the can and getting kicked out of Gilley's would be a pretty fuckin low point in your life and really put a damper on the ol vacay?
Me neither... Just asking for a friend.
So... What do you do? You get your shit together and reach for a "soberin-up-beer" aka: Bud Light because they're as available as tap water in 'Murica and even though they're shitty, if you've been drinking all day in hot weather and it ain't exactly the first time you've done this, that American Canoe Screw will hydrate you and dial you a notch back before you... Well, get kicked out of Gilley's because honestly, WtF were you even doing there in the first place!

Goat Locker Light Pilsner is exactly what you'd want to be reaching for instead of that shitty Bud Light. Fresh, tasty, crisp, and not a foamy mess. Some slight hint of citrus that's gentle and appropriate and you can absolutely slam this thing down if you need to on a screaming hot day.
The slightest touch of sediment in the bottom was surprising, but not off-putting.
If I was ever having a hankering for a 3.5% light beer (and I nearly never am) this would be my go-to. This should be a gold mine for the dieter's beer market. I think it's the best light beer I've ever had, so that was a nice surprise.

ExtraSlow
12-09-2019, 08:57 PM
I'm going to sue you for intellectual property theft, because you clearly transcribed my inner monologue verbatim without even a cursory attempt to make changes.
You thieving bastard.

speedog
12-09-2019, 09:30 PM
I'm going to sue you for intellectual property theft, because you clearly transcribed my inner monologue verbatim without even a cursory attempt to make changes.
You thieving bastard.

Hey, hey, are you now saying you're intellectual?

ExtraSlow
12-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Hey, hey, are you now saying you're intellectual?

That one cut me deep man...

ThePenIsMightier
12-09-2019, 11:13 PM
You thieving bastard.

I have a simple goal and it's to unload enough Rep that I can reward this Praise From Caesar.
I believe that the algorithm allows negative reps to count as dishing some out "... Before you give more Rep to ExtraSlow, again". So, brace yourselves political nonsense leftorium trolls on my ignore list! I am in a mission from God!
Let's make some red dots!

ThePenIsMightier
12-10-2019, 10:43 PM
DAY 10: SULTANA GOLD Blonde Ale
From Lake Of The Woods Brewing Company in Kenora, Ontario.

Shut up and drink me. Why is your mouth open and words are spilling out of it instead of this delicious, golden nectar pouring into it at an alarming pace?
This might be the best beer I've had in the past five years. It's maybe even better than Analog-78 Kolsch and maybe even Munich Gold.
Un-Fucking-Believable. No words. It's everything that I exactly want from a light coloured Ale or Lager/Pilsner. Delicious without being boring and without any specific flavour hogging the stage but complex in that there are many subtle flavours that all just come together.
An instant favourite and I bet I can't even buy it, here. Fuck!
You know what? I think it's pretty close to 1516 from Okanagan Spring. I wish I had more of it so I could put my finger on what's making it so good.

If someone has seen this anywhere, please advise. I'll check AB Liquor Connect.

ThePenIsMightier
12-11-2019, 09:12 PM
DAY 11: COSMIC CREAM ALE
From Cameron Brewing in Oakville, Ontario.

Quite good but it's no Sultana Gold... My life is now a vacuous chasm of turbidity without it.
Umm, I think it was better than pretty good. I'd probably recommend it but there's not much special about it.
Definitely nothing objectionable, at all.

ThePenIsMightier
12-12-2019, 09:11 PM
DAY 12: METROPOLITAN PORTER
From Market Brewing in Newmarket, Ontario.

Time keeps flying with twelve pints down my dirty gullet hole, already!
This is a very nice porter for a couple of reasons. It's not like gravy and it's not like everclear. It's honestly a little more like a stout but without the nutty/toasted flavour. I love a good, thick 8.5% porter from time to time but it's certainly not something you could put in regular rotation. With this one, you could because it's a gentle flavour and only 5%.

Let's see how the second half goes!

ThePenIsMightier
12-13-2019, 10:12 PM
DAY 13: CORVUS LINGONBERRY LIME GOSE
From Ravens Brewing in Abbotsford, BC.

This "Gold Award 2018" winner is pretty accurately, fucking terrible.
It's as pink as the side label and stinks. I don't know what a "Lingonberry" is but if it tastes like this, I'd buy expensive poison to kill it like a weed of one sprang up in my garden. It's like a radler, but sour and awful while at least still manages 4.5% alcohol and not the pointless 2% you get in a $6 radler.
The label is a stupid sticker and doesn't even list ingredients. Fuck this fuckin shit!
Punishing to drink - I actually poured the last ~1.5oz out which is amazing.
Wow. So bad.

ThePenIsMightier
12-15-2019, 12:11 AM
DAY 14: PEACH SOUR
From Railyard Brewing in Calgary.

OK, so we're onto the sour beer. This sounds pretty weird and has become quite fashionable but I think I've figured out why. With hoppy beer (which is bitter) becoming so prevalent the past few years, I assume that folks figured something similar, yet at the opposite end of that taste spectrum would also be popular.

So, I haven't been paying attention while this phenomenon has developed but here we are with this foul sounding, peachy nonsense.

But, fuck me - it's actually pretty good! The peach is key to balancing this out and it's nice & subtle, which is cool. It's a pretty nice beer with a distinct sour flavour with it and it turns out, that's ok. Apparently, these are very tricky to make without completely fucking them up. The ingredients say there is lactose added. Strange.

I'm not going to seek this out because I can easily picture having a few of these making my salivary glands go nuclear, but it was a long way from the shit show I was expecting. I'd order this at a restaurant.

Maybe it's time for some of you to dip a toe into trying a sour.

ThePenIsMightier
12-15-2019, 06:56 PM
DAY 15: JURASSIC IPA
From Cameron Brewing in Oakville, Ontario.

With 68 IBU, we should be looking at overly hopped nonsense. The first sip tastes great, and then, wham! Hoorrible hops have poisoned this beyond any recognizable flavour. Even the 6.8% alcohol is tasteless.
This is exactly the kind of horse shit that is way too prevalent in the micro brewing industry. I've been sick of it since it started and my only salvation is I know these twisty-moustache hipster knobs are so fickle, they'll abandon this before long.
This beer fucking sucks.

speedog
12-15-2019, 07:36 PM
Is the sink indicative of something?

And btw, don't hold back, tell us what you really think. Don't worry about hurting the feelings of the beyond hipster members.

ThePenIsMightier
12-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Is the sink indicative of something?

And btw, don't hold back, tell us what you really think. Don't worry about hurting the feelings of the beyond hipster members.

No. It's just been a convenient place to photograph a few times. I thought about throwing that awful one a couple days ago into the toilet for a photo, but I didn't.

I'm not worried. Hipsters don't have feelings.
Isn't it ironic?

ThePenIsMightier
12-16-2019, 09:24 PM
DAY 16: GEORGETOWN BROWN Strong Ale
From Canmore Brewing (not the same as Grizzly Paw)

Let's get this train back on the tracks! Brown Ales are always good. A great choice for a daily, after work beer and they go great with food. It's hard to sit down to eight of them, but that's no fault.
This one is no exception. I've never had it before but it's a great beer. A little heavier on the caramel end than the nutty end, which is fine. It's pretty high test at 6% but that's not overpowering.
Good stuff!

ThePenIsMightier
12-17-2019, 10:15 PM
DAY 17: BIG ROCK TRADITIONAL ALE
From Big Rock in Calgary (and now in Vancouver and Etobicoke, too!)

It's Trad... Who doesn't know what this tastes like? Another delicious Brown Ale that's oddly so much better on draft than bottled/canned. It's about as common as Molson Canadian so I think it's a bit of an odd choice for an Advent calendar, but it's really good, so I ain't complaining.
I still really hate the cans that they switched to. The entire top of them peels off like a fruit cup.
Lame. Still buy all the time at pubs.

ExtraSlow
12-18-2019, 12:14 AM
Fruit cup can is best can. Fight me.

Brent.ff
12-18-2019, 01:10 AM
wait they're pop topping all their beers now?! hello AGD!

ThePenIsMightier
12-18-2019, 09:37 AM

These cans make Baby Jesus cry. Celebrating these cans within 10 days of Christmas is an act of heresy that guarantees coal in your stocking and locusts in your yard.

They also clearly cause climate change and carbon coated footprints because a larger amount of aluminum doesn't end up being recycled. You're basically setting Australia on fire.

Plus, who wouldn't want a tab that transforms from a Second Class Lever into a First Class Lever and mitigates the risk of discarded sharp tabs.
Obviously watch entire video because it's incredible, but the tab lesson starts at about 08:50.

hUhisi2FBuw

ThePenIsMightier
12-18-2019, 08:15 PM
DAY 18: ALPENGLOW WINTER ALE
From Grizzly Paw in Canmore.

Back to a properly tabbed can as we hit the 75% mark of this journey! Fuck! One week until Christmas... I better get that slutty spouse some sort of giftamahjig.

Now this is what I'm talkin about for an Advent beer calendar! Strong, dark and handsome. I want this beer to pull my hair but still tell me I'm pretty. It's chock full of alcohol and flavour without anything dominating. Super drinkable. A little shy on the carbonation, but I'm not going to burn down the brewery over it.
I would definitely buy this as a holiday treat and thankfully, Grizzly Paw is widely available around here and makes for a great quick trip if you wanna visit them in Canmore. I'm OG as shit, there with my ceramic stein. I miss the Angry Burger.
Buy this immediately.

asp integra
12-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Loving the reviews! You should have people deliver random beers to your house so we can read up more after the advent calendar is done!

arcticcat522
12-19-2019, 12:52 PM
^ what he said. Well job with the words!

ThePenIsMightier
12-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Loving the reviews! You should have people deliver random beers to your house so we can read up more after the advent calendar is done!

That's what I'd call turning a drinking "problem" into a drinking solution!

ExtraSlow
12-19-2019, 01:02 PM
I can appreciate how hard it is to write compelling beverage reviews. I know for me personally, I need to really clear the decks so I have both time and mental space to really create something. Hard to do on the daily like you have been. Kudos brother.

ThePenIsMightier
12-19-2019, 01:19 PM
I can appreciate how hard it is to write compelling beverage reviews. I know for me personally, I need to really clear the decks so I have both time and mental space to really create something. Hard to do on the daily like you have been. Kudos brother.

Weird. I just sit down and this falls right out of me. Maybe I'm good at this and bad at my real job.
Now I feel like I need a drink...

Don't cry for me. I'm already dead.
aat2X-8-JdI

ExtraSlow
12-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Weird. I just sit down and this falls right out of me. Maybe I'm good at this and bad at my real job.
Now I feel like I need a drink...

Don't cry for me. I'm already dead.
aat2X-8-JdI
For some folks it's easy, and some of us just make it look easy. Maybe I'm expending too much mental effort fighting with people in the $30 oil thread.

KRyn
12-19-2019, 02:17 PM

ThePenIsMightier
12-19-2019, 11:09 PM
DAY 19: DUPLICITOUS
From Nickel Brook in Burlington, Ontario.

Pucker up, we're back on the sour train. Beer that is sour is a bit weird but certainly not crazy. So far, I'm not all the way to complaining about it, but it's a tough sell to think about having more than 1-2 without imagining it altering your body's pH to the point that your skin turned a funny colour and injured your salivary glands.
This concoction is quite sour! I examined the label and started rolling my eyes, particularly when you see that SALT is listed as an ingredient. Finally!!! I've always felt that my beer was missing some hippie bull shit sustainably harvested sea salt! Always!

This beer is actually a little bit better than "kind of OK". There's some pretty neat shit going on because it stinks of what you think is hops and yet it's IBU = 0 and it's not bitter, at all. It looks super clear and you assume that any cloudy appearance is actually condensation on your glass, but nope, it's actually a bit cloudy and some creepy sediment (sediment is the wrong word - it's more of a heavy fog) appears at the bottom of the glass when you're almost done.
It says it has coriander in it, but it must be fuck all because coriander adds a beautiful licorice hue to things like Aviation Gin and there is fuck all of that, here.
This particular beer is light at 4% and I guess I could see this having a place on a hot day, but honestly, it's sourness is dominant.
I wouldn't buy it but I'm grateful for the opportunity to have tried it in this Advent Calendar.

I'll admit my meal choice with this beer was potentially sub-optimal but I'll still share with you something that will ruin your salad dressing bracket, eternally!!!
It's called THREE DIAMOND SALAD DRESSING. Buy yourself a hat and hold the fuck onto it. Have you ever paid $10 for a bottle of salad dressing? How about $10 for a bottle that's 21% smaller than regular Kraft dressing?? Well, go buy this from the produce section in Safeway or Sobeys and get ready for the God Damned Ferrari of salad dressing! Go ahead and let that one marinate! You'll be thinking of pouring this shit in your cereal! They seem to literally hide it in the store because it's never with the Lighthouse or Renee's but #BecauseBeyond, instruct your butler to fetch this, post haste.

I put tomorrow's in the fridge already and I'm very excited, yet scared. Stay tuned for how that goes! Tomorrow's timing is troubling for me, but I'll do the best I can.

Thanks again for reading!

ThePenIsMightier
12-19-2019, 11:38 PM
You spend much time in the Barley Belt?

I'm sorry - I don't know what that means. Is that a fancy eating establishment, or, are you asking if I'm a pathetic drunkard? And, would that be a "beer only" drunkard?
I like that old skit from Kids In The Hall about the Girl Drink Drunk.

KRyn
12-20-2019, 08:11 AM

ThePenIsMightier
12-20-2019, 08:25 AM
You must spend too much time in Edmonton, unfortunate. The Barley Belt is an area in Calgary with an extremely high concentration of breweries and distilleries.

Oh. No I haven't been there but I went to Tool Shed awhile ago and it was pretty cool. Their People Skills (on tap) is one of my biggest favorites.
I also toured Big Rock an eternity ago and it was neat, especially compared to how disorganized the original Tree Brewing was in Kelowna.

ThePenIsMightier
12-21-2019, 03:01 AM
DAY 20: CRANBERRY KETTLE SOUR
From Tool Shed.

Just not good enough considering what I've come to expect from Tool Shed.

I wish I could say more, but I'm trashed due to scheduling issues. It's okay and I was expecting more. The colour is gross compared to what their label bragged about.
Won't buy but certainly not a disappointment.
Weak review...

ThePenIsMightier
12-21-2019, 05:59 PM
DAY 21: PUPPERS
From Stack Brewing in Sudbury, Ontario.

Get this guy a fuckin Puppers!!
I love Letterkenny and I think it's cool they decided to make this. This is another light beer that tastes pretty normal and isn't overly sweet or a foamy goat rodeo. It's been an odd (due to the season) but great opportunity to try a couple of these light beers that I have no interest in.

This one isn't as suitable for a "soberin-up-beer" as that earlier selection because it has more flavour, is a touch sweeter and really isn't crazy light as it's still 4%.

Fuck all the ducks - I like it!

ExtraSlow
12-21-2019, 06:10 PM
I like that as much a those majestic Canadians gooses.

ThePenIsMightier
12-21-2019, 07:29 PM
I like that as much a those majestic Canadians gooses.

There's a special place in Heaven...

ThePenIsMightier
12-22-2019, 06:36 PM
DAY 22: GAHAN ISLAND RED
From PEI Brewing Co.

As mentioned earlier, this brewery is all hits and no misses. Still, this red is a long way from the best and unfortunately, it has a stink to it similar to that yeast smell that occurs during brewing.
Some of that smell carries through and it's a bit dominating when you'd expect a crisp, caramel flavour to be dominating.
I'm honestly a bit concerned that I got a bad can.

Holy shit - only two days left!

ThePenIsMightier
12-24-2019, 10:42 AM

See!!^
These quotes appear every time I post.
I made day 23 review yesterday and when I tried to post it today or have me that token expired shit-cock message and it was lost forever.
Fuck.

ThePenIsMightier
12-24-2019, 01:35 PM
DAY 23: WHAT THE HELLES
From Torque in Winnipeg.

This was good and surprisingly lager-like rather than wheat. This would be a fine patio beer. My more comprehensive review was lost, so I'm sorry about that.

ThePenIsMightier
12-24-2019, 02:18 PM
DAY 24: NIGHTWATCH COFFEE LAGER
From Lighthouse Brewery in Victoria, BC.

Coffee in a lager??! Gross. It's like a beer hate crime.
WRONG!
Apparently this is a brilliant combo and probably the second best beer of the 24. Incredible! I think it means that much more to have it shatter my preconception. I hope it also has antiseptic properties as I bit my tongue so fuckin bad, I'm considering some Christmas Eve stitches.
Another surprise is the colour - it's completely the colour of a normal lager yet tastes like there's at least 2oz of coffee in it. I don't know how they've done this, but they're onto something incredible.
Get in my belly!

I'll make one more post about the overall experience and try to get a cool picture of the tower of cans.
Thanks again for reading!

ThePenIsMightier
12-24-2019, 07:20 PM
Well, that's 2019's Costco Advent Calendar done and gone. I will absolutely buy this again, next year. There were only about two shitty beers in there and a great mix of one's you'd have trouble getting unless you travel to a lot of areas across Canada. Plus, two of them were life changingly delicious! Good Lawd that Sultana Gold was fantastic and so was the Nightwatch from today.

Here's a picture of all the empty cans in order from the bottom to the top and left to right.

Thanks again for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. Send some positive Rep may way of you can spare it and have a Merry Christmas!

ExtraSlow
12-24-2019, 08:20 PM
Damned fine reviews, even if you are so wrong about those fruit cup lids.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ThePenIsMightier again.

ThePenIsMightier
12-24-2019, 09:01 PM
Damned fine reviews, even if you are so wrong about those fruit cup lids.

I'm sure you'll square up, soon.
Did you watch that incredible video from The Engineer Guy about aluminum cans, though? It's one of the greatest things on YouTube.

speedog
12-24-2019, 09:38 PM
Interesting comparison, those 24 beers are probably more then I'll drink in 6-9 months.

ThePenIsMightier
11-15-2020, 11:37 AM
BUMP.
I gotta start this in only a couple weeks and I haven't seen any beer Advent calendars. Fuck! This is starting to worry me!
Can folks please help me find one so I can start a new thread to help kiss 2020 goodbye, break its neck and bury it in a shallow grave?

Thaco
11-16-2020, 08:25 AM
there were 4 different ones at wine and beyond up in sage hill when i was there yesterday. (ok i guess only 2 are calendars, the other 2 are just a "holiday mix"

Thaco
11-16-2020, 08:27 AM

ThePenIsMightier
11-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Thanks Thaco. I looked how far Sage Hill was and my mind literally crashed into a giant rock and became high-centred, so I figured I'd try Willow Park.
Thankfully, they had the Phillips Space Case and the Parallel-49. Unthankfully, I couldn't decide, so I felt I had to buy both! Will start thread(s) in December. It's gonna be a WessCoass kinda December to not remember!

The Phillips one confuses me because it's only 12, (albeit pints) so I assume I should be starting that one on December 13. This drinking didn't come with instructions! I suppose I could also do the Phillips one every two days... It's gonna make for more than a few difficult days with some extreme hop, 9% pints followed by an extreme hop 8% can, but that's my problem, not yours. We'll see how the flavors pan out.

ExtraSlow
11-16-2020, 09:05 PM
One of my December traditions is to take a carton of eggnog and a bottle of spiced rum out to my garage and "organize" until I get frostbite. All this talk of festive drinking has me in the mood for that kinda party.

I used to play the flames radio broadcast, but maybe this year I'll just put my genesis Cd's on shuffle.

ThePenIsMightier
11-16-2020, 09:57 PM
One of my December traditions is to take a carton of eggnog and a bottle of spiced rum out to my garage and "organize" until I get frostbite. All this talk of festive drinking has me in the mood for that kinda party.

I used to play the flames radio broadcast, but maybe this year I'll just put my genesis Cd's on shuffle.

Me reading first paragraph and thinking about coming over:

Me reading last paragraph and thinking about coming over:

2Legit2Quit
11-16-2020, 10:14 PM
I'm tempted by the Phillips, they make some solid beers

Thaco
11-16-2020, 10:16 PM
solid beers

this does not sound like a good thing