PDA

View Full Version : Mouse for work

arcticcat522
12-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Hey all,

I know almost nothing about computers or their accessories. My wife does computer things for work and said she wants a new mouse. Something Bluetooth, but that's all I know. Is there anything that makes one better than the other? Any recommendations?

Mitsu3000gt
12-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Mice are extremely personal - I would strongly recommend your wife goes out and tries some. Staples and Best Buy have quite a few on display if I recall. There are literally dozens of designs and what one person find comfortable might be unusable to the next person.

Bluetooth mice aren't very common, but wireless mice are - the difference is they require a tiny dongle to be in one of the computer's USB ports. You'll have a lot more to choose from if you look for a wireless mouse rather than specifically Bluetooth.

For basic use, anything from Logitech or Microsoft is going to be fine in terms of performance.

revelations
12-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Depends too what she does.

I used a mouse for gaming, but for working with documents, emails, etc. I MUCH prefer a thumbwheel. I was getting into wrist issues otherwise after 6-8 hours.
https://assets.logitech.com/assets/55018/m570-gallery.png
Its SUPER handy as you can whip a cursor around multiple screens very fast.

But thats not at all compatible with design work for eg.

arcticcat522
12-06-2019, 05:22 PM
Mice are extremely personal - I would strongly recommend your wife goes out and tries some. Staples and Best Buy have quite a few on display if I recall. There are literally dozens of designs and what one person find comfortable might be unusable to the next person.

Bluetooth mice aren't very common, but wireless mice are - the difference is they require a tiny dongle to be in one of the computer's USB ports. You'll have a lot more to choose from if you look for a wireless mouse rather than specifically Bluetooth.

For basic use, anything from Logitech or Microsoft is going to be fine in terms of performance.

I thought it needed to be Bluetooth to be wireless.... I'm sure she is good with anything that's wireless. I'll try to ask without asking...

- - - Updated - - -

I used a mouse for gaming, but for working with documents, emails, etc. I MUCH prefer a thumbwheel. I was getting into wrist issues otherwise after 6-8 hours.

The thumbwheel might be worth a shot. She has 2 or 3 screens idealy. Lots of stuff she does is just on a laptop tho. In May be too big for when she is saying in bed working.

Xtrema
12-06-2019, 05:40 PM
The thumbwheel might be worth a shot. She has 2 or 3 screens idealy. Lots of stuff she does is just on a laptop tho. In May be too big for when she is saying in bed working.

I use a trackball because you move the wrist a lot less vs mouse. They are not cheap and a lot of people hate them. Actually, I can see it may have some advantages if she works in bed since it is stationary and works on all surfaces. But make sure you have a place to make her test it. Not everyone like trackball.

For travel, I prefer MS Arc Touch Mouse. Folds flat.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31kNME0SzeL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Thaco
12-06-2019, 07:04 PM
i love the logitech MX master series, very comfy in the hand with a bunch of buttons that you can program for different tasks, but not too many buttons

speedog
12-06-2019, 07:46 PM

This type of mouse is how I discovered that I have a condition called essential tremor, no matter how hard I tried I could not get the pointer on the screen to move smoothly. Asked the GP about it and some tests a bit letter at the Foothills revealed the problem, luckily it hasn't gotten worse after discovering that some 15+ years ago.

Mitsu3000gt
12-07-2019, 12:11 PM
I use a trackball because you move the wrist a lot less vs mouse. They are not cheap and a lot of people hate them. Actually, I can see it may have some advantages if she works in bed since it is stationary and works on all surfaces. But make sure you have a place to make her test it. Not everyone like trackball.

How much you move a mouse is largely dependent on your grip, you can still almost completely avoid wrist movement. If you use the "fingertip" style rather than resting your hand on the mouse, you just move your fingertips and nothing else really. Personally, that is how I've always used mice - without my wrist moving. You should know your preferred grip style before shopping for a mouse because many of them are purpose-built for the different grip styles.

https://i.imgur.com/dqCk4jG.png

ercchry
12-07-2019, 12:23 PM
This one caught my eye

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunarartefacts/pointer-instrumentstm-computer-mouse-redefined

jwslam
12-08-2019, 01:22 PM
I am 100% all over logitech mice purely for the wheel. Logitech as far I as I know is the only one that offers a "frictionless wheel". It's refined enough for single rows, and the frictionless lets me go 10 pages, all without the clicky noise (Can be enabled)

My work is an MX Master 2
Home is an MX Revolution
Travel is MX Anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZS2EFk7DWs

A790
12-08-2019, 02:00 PM
I recommend considering an ergonomic mouse. I do heav y computing work and its been a lifesaver for me.

spikerS
12-08-2019, 02:21 PM

+1 for that exact mouse. I have been using that one now for 5+ years at work using 6 monitors. Super easy to use, super comfortable, and very intuitive to use and get used to. Would not recommend it for gaming, however, office use it is A+ and I use it for 12.5 hour shifts with zero wrist/hand fatigue.

Only complaint I have with them, is that the mouse buttons end up giving up the ghost after about a year and I keep having to buy another one. I have like 6 in my drawer now that I keep meaning to pull apart and scavenge parts out to fix another to keep going. LOL

colsankey
12-08-2019, 02:56 PM
I have a logitech prodigy at home, and got a g305 for work since I can take it with my laptop for meetings a little more easily. It has 5 buttons so you can setup a few extra functions, but the two thumb buttons are very oit of the way. It's also regularly around $45 on Amazon, so not terribly expensive.

msommers
12-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 is what I find genuinely comfortable. It takes some getting used-to and I will admit that overall progress is slightly slower but it's incredibly comfortable once you settle in.

For a keyboard, I really like the Microsoft Sculpt. A mouse is available in some combo pack but it ended up really hurting my thumb muscle (aductor pollicis brevis) after a couple weeks of use.

Sal0
12-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 is what I find genuinely comfortable. It takes some getting used-to and I will admit that overall progress is slightly slower but it's incredibly comfortable once you settle in.

For a keyboard, I really like the Microsoft Sculpt. A mouse is available in some combo pack but it ended up really hurting my thumb muscle (aductor pollicis brevis) after a couple weeks of use.

As much as I love the Evoluent vertical, I find the Logitech M570 is easier and more comfortable to use. I'm surprised on one has mentioned the "new" MX ERGO, in my mind it feels like a premium upgrade to the M570, but I have yet to use it in the real world.

msommers
12-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Thanks for sharing! I didn't realize Logitech finally got on the vertical positioning train. That one also looks good.

A790
12-08-2019, 06:36 PM

In my experience, the Evoluent is garbage. I've had 2, and both needed a replacement under warranty around the one-year mark due to switches double-clicking.

The support in Canada is also trash- you have to pay to ship to Sask.

msommers
12-08-2019, 06:48 PM
That is quite disheartening to hear. Maybe Logitech can make a more reliable product while keeping ergonomics a primary focus.

I've seen some people at work using Wacom tablets instead of mice with a bunch of shortcuts on the pad. Haven't invested the time to try it outside of at home photo editing but the people that do use them at work swear by them.

A790
12-09-2019, 09:02 AM
That is quite disheartening to hear. Maybe Logitech can make a more reliable product while keeping ergonomics a primary focus.

I've seen some people at work using Wacom tablets instead of mice with a bunch of shortcuts on the pad. Haven't invested the time to try it outside of at home photo editing but the people that do use them at work swear by them.

I've been searching for a comparable mouse to the Evoluent. The frustrating part is that the E is objectively the best to use compared to the dozen or so I've tried- and the integrated double click button is also awesome. I miss it, honestly, but can't bring myself to buy a third one.

jwslam
12-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Only complaint I have with them, is that the mouse buttons end up giving up the ghost after about a year and I keep having to buy another one. I have like 6 in my drawer now that I keep meaning to pull apart and scavenge parts out to fix another to keep going. LOL
By ghost do you mean random double clicks?
Apparently it's a common capacitance issue.
Solution is to remove power (unplug/remove battery) and click a couple hundred times to discharge the capacitors.

Skrilla
12-09-2019, 09:46 AM
I live behind my computer all day in my office. I always run a gaming mouse simply because of the side buttons, and you can map the top ones to different tasks. The nice thing to is the weights they come with that can swap out. Currently I use the Razer Basilisk and the Logitech G502.

spikerS
12-09-2019, 09:47 AM
By ghost do you mean random double clicks?
Apparently it's a common capacitance issue.
Solution is to remove power (unplug/remove battery) and click a couple hundred times to discharge the capacitors.

it could be double clicks. I never really noticed. but i really noticed that a lot of the time it happens, I can't click and drag items around, so I figured the click just stopped registering. But when I think about it, it could be double clicking...

ExtraSlow
12-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Rtings now reviews mice. I like the methodology these guys use, could be useful.
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews

Kobe
12-15-2019, 09:00 AM
I used to buy the M705 but it would last 1year and always have a button stop working or something, I've gone through like 5+ of them

https://i.gyazo.com/edebbc1d3127c3b78e856cad279d9ac9.png

I really wanted something nice and got one of those gaming mice for $100+ but i returned it, just hated it.

I'm using this one now (on my 2nd one) it feels like the 705 but slightly upgraded I guess.

https://i.gyazo.com/8d1c03091d23fdc5a354a3faf2a49b5a.png

I reallly hate using a mouse I'm not used to every time I've used an Imac I've wanted to throw that POS mouse out the window, I don't understand how anyone can use that.

It's personal preference you really need to see what feels good for you, you can always get two (Each person has a different one) and just stick them in the USB slots.

davidI
12-15-2019, 11:12 AM
I picked up a Logitech MX Master a couple months ago and couldn't be happier with it. The adjustable scroll wheel is great.