PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Assemblies?

Brent.ff
12-12-2019, 07:56 AM
Wife's '07 Matrix is showing it's age, particularly the headlights. Anyone have some recommendations for ones, as ive never bought an assembly before? OEM are pretty stupid price for what you're getting.

firebane
12-12-2019, 07:58 AM
If they are plastic just polish them up and toss in good bulbs.

New check Rock Auto but never cheap.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2019, 08:08 AM
Polish can work wonders. An hours work, world of difference.

Andy643
12-12-2019, 08:11 AM
If polishing doesn't work you could try APT Auto Parts or LKQ/Keystone. Years back I worked for Pro Body Parts who is now part of LKQ/Keystone. All aftermarket parts, same stuff supplied to body shops all over North America and the world. I've used each of them recently for parts. Local pickup is nice.

www.apt-autoparts.com
www.lkqonline.com

Brent.ff
12-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Did the headlight restoration kit this summer. It was ok but not as good as I had hoped...

ThePenIsMightier
12-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Did the headlight restoration kit this summer. It was ok but not as good as I had hoped...

Hey Guys, ChrisFix, here! How about this?
UEJbKLZ7RmM
The key is to get a clear coat on after or the plastic hyper oxidizes.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Quite possible you didn't take enough material off. My kit had the aggressive stuff, and I was too shy with it on one side, but the second one I went to town and it was a noticeable difference.

firebane
12-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Hey Guys, ChrisFix, here! How about this?
UEJbKLZ7RmM
The key is to get a clear coat on after or the plastic hyper oxidizes.

Yup a good clear with good UV qualities is the key to it all.

Brent.ff
12-12-2019, 10:17 AM
ill give it another shot. guess if i fuk it up, im back in the same place anyway

88CRX
12-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Can you DIY polish and then 3M Film the headlights or will they still fog back up?

dj_rice
12-12-2019, 11:30 AM
If polishing no workie, can find used ones

www.car-part.com

Searches junkyards for you Canada and USA wide to see who has it in stock

CivicDXR
12-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Can you DIY polish and then 3M Film the headlights or will they still fog back up?

This is what I do, no issues after the film gets put on.

sneek
12-12-2019, 05:15 PM

No, they usually stay pretty nice. That said, the flim rarely looks very good after a couple of years. I did my own headlights and it has stains from some bugs..etc.

ShermanEF9
12-12-2019, 08:31 PM

sometimes you gotta get aggressive and do a wetsand getting progressively finer, then do the polish kit. my old civics headlights were real bad. it took some work, but we got them looking new.

snowcat
12-12-2019, 11:51 PM
Just throw in a set of 10,000K LED/HID/Laser Bulbs and blind the f out of everyone!

98brg2d
12-16-2019, 11:32 AM
I used the kit from Sylvania (I had to order it from Autovalue). I figured since it has a lifetime warranty and is made by a headlight manufacturer and includes a UV coating as the final step it is probably one of the better kits. I have heard of problems with using 2k clear coat, cracking, flaking etc. but the chemicals used in the Sylvania kit seem pretty good. I am going on 3 months now with weekly washes and there is no discernible change. My buddy did his with a Mother's kit the same week and his are already hazing slightly while mine are crystal clear and I drive about 4 times the kilometers he does.