PDA

View Full Version : When do you need a US visa?

ExtraSlow
12-18-2019, 03:50 PM
Lots of 2020 planning going on in my office, and this question came up, at what point does frequent USA travel for work necessitate a work visa? Like if you were down for a week a month? Or half the year, or what? What's the dividing line? Does it matter which side of the border is paying you?

I'm sure there's a government website that lays it all out, but I find the answers from you beyond.ca nerds more amusing, so I'm not going to look.

pheoxs
12-18-2019, 04:58 PM
So you need a work visa every time for anything basically. The question is what type of work visa.

The B-1 is very easy to get and covers most basic shit (PDF is pretty easy to read). If you are going down for a meeting or tradeshow or sales pitch then you fall under that. As a general rule though if you are relocating down there or you get paid by the US company then the B-1 doesn't apply and you'd need either a TN1 or H-1B instead which take paperwork and money to apply for.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/BusinessVisa%20Purpose%20Listings%20March%202014%20flier.pdf

revelations
12-18-2019, 05:06 PM
We used to travel to the US for work - but as employees of a sub sub contractor. No visa ever required. We as employees were not being paid direct by the American company.

Always had a letter from the US company explaining our need to be in the US (something to do with special equipment and skills).

ExtraSlow
12-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Is B1 the kind you get sort of automatically when you tell the customs guy you are travelling for work?

Maxx Mazda
12-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Is B1 the kind you get sort of automatically when you tell the customers guy you are travelling for work?

Yes.

ExtraSlow
12-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Yes.

Oh neat, then I've had dozens of those I guess.

eblend
12-18-2019, 06:58 PM
Yah, just basic B1. I have been down for business like 8 times this year, about a week at a time on average and never had any problems. If you read through the NAFTA exceptions you can basically get in for a variety of reasons like meetings etc, but if you actually going to do labour while down there, that's also allowed depending on profession. I know there is a long list, but profession like an IT professional is one, which is me, so I could work. I do usually still bring a form filled out by my employer that basically says I work for them, our company is multinational, Canada will pay me, I will be back date, where I will be staying, and signed by my manager. Never had to show this form but it's good backup. A B1 is good for 6 months, so once issued they will still ask you questions but won't really stamp anything. I don't actually know if something changed, but the first time I went I got a stamp and 6 month expiration, but never since..and it's been more than a year...so don't know if something changed since but anyways, still easy to do.

cet
12-18-2019, 09:00 PM
I have an L1-B which is good for 3 years and can be extended.