PDA

View Full Version : L/F Someone who can weld

300havoc
12-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Hey all,

I found an old hatchet in my garage that I've decided needs some love. I've taken the axe head off and gotten the rust off it and the edge sharpened, but I noticed that there is a crack on the back side of the eye of the axe head. See the pictures below. When I took it to get looked at, the guys at Kent of Inglewood suggested that I get a grinder and make a small channel on the back, and then do a weld for the pieces to stay together. Problem is, I don't have the tools or the brains to do it. Anyone interested in taking on a small fix like this, or know of a shop/person who would be willing to do it?

Please let me know, and thanks in advance.

revelations
12-29-2019, 06:25 PM
Im no welding expert, but if you were to weld that - you would likely alter the metals' heat treatment at that location (ie. probably soften it).

It would not last long in regular use (same issue might come up elsewhere). It would require heat treatment again.

Darell_n
12-29-2019, 06:25 PM
If you plan on keeping it ornamental, I would leave it as is. To weld it with enough penetration to prevent another crack once a handle is reinstalled, you will need to cut a V almost the entire thickness and weld it in with multiple passes. I could take a crack at it if you bring it out to me in Cochrane. Also, you can re-temper it with a torch and bucket of water but the eye should be left soft. FYI, it probably split from water freezing inside the original wood handle.

spikerS
12-29-2019, 06:49 PM
If you plan on keeping it ornamental, I would leave it as is. To weld it with enough penetration to prevent another crack once a handle is reinstalled, you will need to cut a V almost the entire thickness and weld it in with multiple passes. I could take a crack at it if you bring it out to me in Cochrane. Also, you can re-temper it with a torch and bucket of water but the eye should be left soft. FYI, it probably split from water freezing inside the original wood handle.

A normal heat cycle should be fine. IIRC, you only want to quench the cutting edge. Since the weld is as far as possible from the cutting edge, I wouldn't worry about it. If the weld was going to be in the cutting face, then it's a different story.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-30-2019, 01:17 AM
She's split from arsehole to earhole, you'd basically need to grind down a huge V-notch and fill with weld if you wanted to put it back in action. If you just wanted it as a wallhanger, a shallow notch and a few passes will do it well enough to hold a handle and look pretty.

legendboy
12-30-2019, 05:46 PM
does a file skate off the butt or does it bite? (how hard is it?) I could weld it up for you but would not put it back to use as an axe as stated above. Should be ok for hatchet duty imo.
Cracked thru to the inside of the eye?

300havoc
12-31-2019, 11:00 AM
does a file skate off the butt or does it bite? (how hard is it?) I could weld it up for you but would not put it back to use as an axe as stated above. Should be ok for hatchet duty imo.
Cracked thru to the inside of the eye?

I'll check it with a file later today, but i think it's on the hard side. The crack goes through to the eye. I would be looking to use it for light hatchet duty but nothing too crazy.
Darell_n I see what you did there. I'll send you a PM.