PDA

View Full Version : Warranty service - same problem multiple times

eblend
01-06-2020, 08:34 AM
Hi guys,

Quick question. My 2018 Crosstrek developed an issue a few months back where the rear driver side speaker was making this high pitched buzzing noise. I took the vehicle in and they said they "Adjusted the speaker" or something like that and it fixed the issue, until this morning, when exact same thing came back. Looking online it appears to be more of an amp problem as a few people have said. The buzzing continues even when the car is powered off and just sitting there. Unplugging the AMP under the passenger seat causes the sound to stop, plugging it back in and the issue resumes

Anyways, I will take it in again for repairs under warranty, but what happens if this shit comes back after the warranty is up? It obviously seems like they are not fixing the root cause of the issue. Can I say that it's the 3rd time back for the same issue and get them to fix it for free after warranty period is up, or am I screwed and have to pay out of pocket, despite bringing the problem up multiple times during warranty.

94boosted
01-06-2020, 09:39 AM
If it's documented that they've attempted to repair something prior to the warranty period expiring and you have the same problem with the same component after the warranty period has expired they should still fix it free of charge.

ExtraSlow
01-06-2020, 09:54 AM
But they probably will try to charge you.

redblack
01-06-2020, 10:04 AM
After the warranty period it’ll be a case by case issue with Subaru Canada. The dealer would have to get the OK to redo the work with new parts.

Subaru Canada may only cover the parts and you’ll be on the hook for labor.

Masked Bandit
01-06-2020, 10:08 AM
I can't speak to Subaru but one of our vehicles is a Hyundai and we had a sunroof issue before the warranty expired and they tried to fix it twice, thought they had it but nope, same issue came up again about 5 months / 5,000 KM after the warranty expired and they didn't even blink, took two more tries before it was actually fixed but it never cost me a dime.

Buster
01-06-2020, 12:23 PM
I think most manufacturers honor this type of thing as a good will warranty.

dj_rice
01-06-2020, 12:26 PM
I think most manufacturers honor this type of thing as a good will warranty.

Correct. If your a good repeat customer, always service your car there, they will do the repair under their GoodWill. They obviously will not mention this to you as its not something that is given out to everyone or known.

But take it back now, and get them to re-diagnose it and say you perhaps think its an amp problem. Or could be a wire grounding issue.

eblend
01-06-2020, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys. It's the exact same speaker again, and it's the only speaker in the car. The annoying part is I have to unplug the amp so I can't even get any music in the car until it's fixed, as I am worried the constant buzzing will drain the battery as it does it with the car just sitting there locked. Last time it happened took two weeks to get an appointment and was using a Bluetooth speaker in the car for entertainment.

yipb
01-10-2020, 07:07 PM
Take it to red deer subaru. Forget about the clowns here in Calgary

Kloubek
01-11-2020, 12:08 AM
There will be records of your visits, and you can request they enter information into the work order on your 2nd visit to fix the issue that you are concerned about the issue reoccurring out of warranty. That should cover you at the dealership level if it does come up again soon after the warranty expires.

If it does and you get the runaround from the advisor, go directly to the service manager. If that doesn't work, go to the GM. If that doesn't work, go to Subaru.

You shouldn't have to jump through hoops, and I can all but guarantee you won't have to go too high up the chain to receive help if you are being reasonable and calm.

Just know that as the time from warranty expiration gets longer, the more of those hoops you can expect... and eventually an all-out denial to assist. There is only so long they will be willing to goodwill you fixes - even if it is due to their own lousy electronics.

Team_Mclaren
01-11-2020, 03:07 AM
But they probably will try to charge you.

why do people always assume this? Dealers get paid to do warranty work so they actually dont mind it.

ExtraSlow
01-11-2020, 08:02 AM
why do people always assume this? Dealers get paid to do warranty work so they actually dont mind it.

I was assuming this because he's talking about having no warranty.

heavyD
01-11-2020, 03:27 PM
Take your issue to Subaru Canada. I have had to get them involved to prod the local dealers into doing warranty work. My wife's Outback will be our last Subaru as the local dealers are awful and the product is subpar. There is a passenger airbag recall going back to last year where there could be metal particles in the airbag that can mess up your face and we are booked for June 2020! Nine months to get a recall completed! It's not like their cars are even that good anymore as they lead the industry in recalls now as there's a new one every week.

AndyL
01-11-2020, 03:41 PM

Depends on the work. My ram that liked to eat transmissions and would sit at the dealer lot for weeks on end while they tore it apart, waited for authorization, did other diagnostics, waited for more authorizations, the dealers were 1/2 the problem. I can see why - pushing a ram with a blown transmission in and out of the shop over and over and over sucks - but...

Sometimes they run with it - sometimes they try to avoid it at all costs. After transmission issue #7 they really started making it harder and harder to get repaired.