PDA

View Full Version : Gas fireplace issue

benz_890
01-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Hey guys, need help with a gas fireplace. I don't know much about it as it came installed in the house when we bought it. I had an HVAC guy turn it on when he was over on other business.

It worked great for a while, turn it on and with the fan on low it heated up the main floor great (would get 26-27 degrees no problem), Pretty much turned into a sauna. Yesterday, I decided to turn it on, had it on and fan on full for over an hour, highest the house got to was 23 degrees.

Any tips / tricks I can try to troubleshoot this?

shakalaka
01-15-2020, 12:21 PM
Was it hot and running? I am no expert but if the fireplace itself is running and you don't see any issues with the fan etc then it's likely that it was just way too cold outside (which it was) that won't let the indoor temperatures get any warmer. Maybe try it on a more regular day first to see how it goes before booking a service call.

ExtraSlow
01-15-2020, 09:08 PM
Is this an urban house with a natural gas furnace AND a gas fireplace? If so, your fireplace is not designed to heat your entire house 8n the dead of winter. It is supposed to heat one room a few degrees above the temp of the rest of the house.

benz_890
01-15-2020, 09:40 PM
Is this an urban house with a natural gas furnace AND a gas fireplace? If so, your fireplace is not designed to heat your entire house 8n the dead of winter. It is supposed to heat one room a few degrees above the temp of the rest of the house.

Yes it is an urban house with both. I will try it again next week once it warma up a bit

Doozer
01-16-2020, 09:17 AM
And one thing to note further to what ES said is that if your thermostat is near your fireplace, having the fireplace on can actually cause the rest of your house to cool, because the thermostat senses the rise in temp and cuts out the furnace. So the fireplace room is warm and the rest of the house is getting nothing.

benz_890
01-16-2020, 09:29 AM
And one thing to note further to what ES said is that if your thermostat is near your fireplace, having the fireplace on can actually cause the rest of your house to cool, because the thermostat senses the rise in temp and cuts out the furnace. So the fireplace room is warm and the rest of the house is getting nothing.

I usually turn the thermostat down as we'd sit near the fireplace