PDA

View Full Version : Eight Restaurant

CompletelyNumb
01-17-2020, 10:19 AM
The new restaurant by Darren MacLean has opened: https://eightcdn.ca/

Booked until march already. Which one of you ballers (other than ercchry of course) have a spot?

Buster
01-17-2020, 10:21 AM
I'm going to book in... Just haven't checked into it yet

suntan
01-17-2020, 10:53 AM
It's no Dorsia.

ercchry
01-17-2020, 11:52 AM
I missed it... GF is also being boring right now... blah, blah... rsp contributions.... blah, blah. Don’t want a huge tax bill :rofl:

We’ll probably go for my birthday or something, was about to book nupo but then that got delayed due to building issues or something

triplep
01-17-2020, 12:19 PM
Their logo reminds me of the Rich Energy logo, which is the logo for Whyte bikes just in a different color.

The_Rural_Juror
01-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Which resembles the next logo for the Canadian Energy Centre

89coupe
01-17-2020, 12:48 PM
No menu?

Pre-pay?

WTF!

:thumbsdow

ExtraSlow
01-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Well, it's not a-la-carte. Tasting menu every day, so you can't expect them to publish that for months ahead.

I don't like most trendy things, but I do like chefs tasting menus. So I'm conflicted. Good thing I can't afford it.

89coupe
01-17-2020, 12:57 PM
Well, it's not a-la-carte. Tasting menu every day, so you can't expect them to publish that for months ahead.

I don't like most trendy things, but I do like chefs tasting menus. So I'm conflicted. Good thing I can't afford it.

Tasting menus can be adjusted, easy to update.

No excuse IMO.

And pre-pay? Seriously?

The Cosworth
01-17-2020, 01:08 PM
It's no Dorsia.

Trump wouldn't be at a Texarkana

Chandler_Racing
01-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Went to school with Darren, been meaning to try his restaurant out.

Brent.ff
01-17-2020, 01:34 PM
And pre-pay? Seriously?

sooo no tip?

BavarianBeast
01-17-2020, 01:38 PM
Darren is a good chef but treats his staff poorly which seems to result in a revolving door of unhappy bar staff and waiters/waitresses.

Wife and I had to walk out of Shokunin the last time we came in, used to love going there but won’t be back. Too many places in town that will treat you properly.

you&me
01-17-2020, 01:39 PM

No excuse IMO.

And pre-pay? Seriously?

This ain't no $90 Earl's lunch...

Darren's good friends with a friend of mine. I've been to several parties & events where he was brought in to cook & was around for some of the pre-open tastings for DTF - always excellent.

I'm booked for my wife's birthday and will report back.

Buster
01-17-2020, 01:56 PM

No excuse IMO.

And pre-pay? Seriously?

No menu?

Pre-pay?

WTF!

:thumbsdow

I can only assume you are joking.

ExtraSlow
01-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Darren is a good chef but treats his staff poorly which seems to result in a revolving door of unhappy bar staff and waiters/waitresses.

Wife and I had to walk out of Shokunin the last time we came in, used to love going there but won’t be back. Too many places in town that will treat you properly. If that's legit, fuck him. the high-maintenance celebrity chef schtick is awful.

89coupe
01-17-2020, 02:48 PM
I can only assume you are joking.

No I am not.

I’m not exactly a noob when it comes to fine dining.

ercchry
01-17-2020, 02:53 PM
No I am not.

I’m not exactly a noob when it comes to fine dining.

I’ve done some of his special events with the same structure and actually prefer it that way. No surprises, all in cost. Can just sit and enjoy... and if you are with one of those sneaky fuckers that always tries to grab the bill... too bad! Already done

Mitsu3000gt
01-17-2020, 02:58 PM
If that's legit, fuck him. the high-maintenance celebrity chef schtick is awful.

I only saw him on that Netflix Chef show, but it looked like he got carried big time by his partner from the French Laundry. Then again I only saw what Netflix wanted me to see. Haven't really had any desire to check out his restaurants, but maybe I'm missing out.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve done some of his special events with the same structure and actually prefer it that way. No surprises, all in cost. Can just sit and enjoy... and if you are with one of those sneaky fuckers that always tries to grab the bill... too bad! Already done

+1, prepayment is awesome and not that unusual. Don't have to worry about anything. It's like Uber haha.

It's also not unusual for no menu. If you've ever had the Epicurian Adventure at Rouge it's like that and it's probably my single favorite dining experience in the city.

89coupe
01-17-2020, 03:21 PM

I’ve been to many Michelin star restaurants.

Private Chefs & events

All sorts of nice places and I always know what I’m getting.

I don’t like surprises

$185/person is nothing, it’s not the cost, but I want to know what I’m getting.

BavarianBeast
01-17-2020, 03:32 PM
$1000 says the restaurant doesn’t last till 2021

Buster
01-17-2020, 04:03 PM

Private Chefs & events

I don’t like surprises

dat flex tho

blitz
01-17-2020, 04:07 PM

Private Chefs & events

I don’t like surprises

Maybe this isn't for you then.

Disoblige
01-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Updated in 2020 for inflation. $185 is the norm now!

beyond_ban
01-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Here are a few more details and photos. The Winter Canadian Reflections Menu is being served until Mid March, and then will be switched to something for the Spring.

https://i2.wp.com/crackmacs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Eight-seats-at-a-time-details.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1

https://crackmacs.ca/food-and-drink/eight-calgary-8seatsatatime/

ercchry
01-17-2020, 04:20 PM
I thought Eight was like $3xx each? Nupo is the cheaper one

ExtraSlow
01-17-2020, 04:22 PM

Probably not, it specifically says there's no pretense.

you&me
01-17-2020, 04:27 PM
Probably not, it specifically says there's no pretense.

:clap:

89coupe
01-17-2020, 04:27 PM

No maybes

Buster
01-17-2020, 04:37 PM
friendly person: "Hey 89coupe, you want to come over for a dinner saturday? Small get together, should be fun"

89coupe: "well that depends on what you are planning to serve."

ercchry
01-17-2020, 04:37 PM
$1000 says the restaurant doesn’t last till 2021

I think he is attempting to go for a star... but not sure how that works here? Like... if Calgary isn’t in the guide, then Calgary isn’t eligible right?

I get your stance, I have heard it from a few people. But he has always treated me well, and it’s one of those “separate the man from the art” sort of things. Seems like you just have to in this age of media or how many great movies and show would one no longer be able to watch??? :rofl:

But I’m going to support him anyways, he has done great things for the city with the exposure he gets, this will lead to more options for everyone. He has created a great international circle of influence in the chef community too. I do worry that he is juggling way too many venture right now though. Something is bound to slip

89coupe
01-17-2020, 04:40 PM
friendly person: "Hey 89coupe, you want to come over for a dinner saturday? Small get together, should be fun"

89coupe: "well that depends on what you are planning to serve."

Seriously?

Buster, I was so impressed until this.

Buster
01-17-2020, 04:41 PM
Seriously?

Buster, I was so impressed until this.

just busting your balls man. all good.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he is attempting to go for a star... but not sure how that works here? Like... if Calgary isn’t in the guide, then Calgary isn’t eligible right?

I get your stance, I have heard it from a few people. But he has always treated me well, and it’s one of those “separate the man from the art” sort of things. Seems like you just have to in this age of media or how many great movies and show would one no longer be able to watch??? :rofl:

But I’m going to support him anyways, he has done great things for the city with the exposure he gets, this will lead to more options for everyone. He has created a great international circle of influence in the chef community too. I do worry that he is juggling way too many venture right now though. Something is bound to slip

canada doesnt do michelin stars.

ercchry
01-17-2020, 04:43 PM
just busting your balls man. all good.

- - - Updated - - -

canada doesnt do michelin stars.

At all? I’ve never actually looked at the guide haha... thought at least Montreal/Toronto would be in there?

Mitsu3000gt
01-17-2020, 04:46 PM

He can't get a star here (Canada) unfortunately unless Michelin changes their procedures. There are other lists that include us though, like the 50 best list (Rouge is always on that one).

Buster
01-17-2020, 04:47 PM
At all? I’ve never actually looked at the guide haha... thought at least Montreal/Toronto would be in there?

nope. never has been.

ercchry
01-17-2020, 04:51 PM
He can't get a star here (Canada) unfortunately unless Michelin changes their procedures. There are other lists that include us though, like the 50 best list (Rouge is always on that one).

I still need to get to rouge! I lived down the street for a year and went everywhere but there haha... byob Sunday family meals at deane house were good

Mitsu3000gt
01-17-2020, 04:54 PM
I still need to get to rouge! I lived down the street for a year and went everywhere but there haha... byob Sunday family meals at deane house were good

Get the Epicurian Adventure - it's their best thing by far IMO. 89coupe would hate it :rofl:

89coupe
01-17-2020, 05:06 PM

Save your money.

ExtraSlow
01-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Get the Epicurian Adventure - it's their best thing by far IMO. 89coupe would hate it :rofl:

Did that back in the day when oil and gas made money. Enjoyed immensely.

dj_rice
01-18-2020, 04:10 PM

Private Chefs & events

I don’t like surprises

Those $89 lunches seem like a distant memory now #humblebrag

phreezee
01-18-2020, 04:30 PM
Shokunin is overrated anyway.

The_Rural_Juror
01-18-2020, 04:35 PM
(enter) This is a rich people thread (exit)

msommers
01-18-2020, 05:15 PM
For our 5 year anniversary we went to a Michelin star restaurant while in Lyon. The menu was two pages, the first was background about the restaurant and the chef, the second was your choices of Random: Large or Small; wine pairing?

It was an unforgettable experience. No idea what was being served, excitement for the next course, every dish was explained at length... I'm not joking when I describe the experience as a culinary journey. Such a great memory that will stay with us forever.

If you trust the chef, not knowing what you're getting makes it way more fun and exciting.

CompletelyNumb
01-18-2020, 05:27 PM
So, Beyond meet? :bigpimp:

Buster
01-18-2020, 05:33 PM
For our 5 year anniversary we went to a Michelin star restaurant while in Lyon. The menu was two pages, the first was background about the restaurant and the chef, the second was your choices of Random: Large or Small; wine pairing?

It was an unforgettable experience. No idea what was being served, excitement for the next course, every dish was explained at length... I'm not joking when I describe the experience as a culinary journey. Such a great memory that will stay with us forever.

If you trust the chef, not knowing what you're getting makes it way more fun and exciting.

its really common to do what Eight is suggesting to do...the idea that you wouldn't pay a set price and you wont know the menu in a high end restaurant is pretty funny. the only explanation is that you simply havent been to that many high end restaurants...despite claims to the contrary.

The_Rural_Juror
01-18-2020, 06:08 PM
So, Beyond meet? :bigpimp:

Only on CCR nights.

CompletelyNumb
01-18-2020, 07:28 PM
Only if on CCR nights.

:barf:

speedog
01-18-2020, 07:40 PM
Here are a few more details and photos. The Winter Canadian Reflections Menu is being served until Mid March, and then will be switched to something for the Spring.

https://i2.wp.com/crackmacs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Eight-seats-at-a-time-details.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1

https://crackmacs.ca/food-and-drink/eight-calgary-8seatsatatime/

You are crack macs?

beyond_ban
01-18-2020, 08:39 PM
You are crack macs?

нет

The_Rural_Juror
01-18-2020, 09:05 PM
:barf:

Don't be such a student.

bjstare
01-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Seems like it would be cool, and price/surprise menu aren't offputting... but the thing that gets me is the idea of being in such an intimate setting with a few other randoms. I'd rather have a nice dinner with my wife and not get to know new people.

ercchry
01-19-2020, 02:45 PM
Seems like it would be cool, and price/surprise menu aren't offputting... but the thing that gets me is the idea of being in such an intimate setting with a few other randoms. I'd rather have a nice dinner with my wife and not get to know new people.

Well the good news at least is they should be quality people... little networking is never bad

Buster
01-19-2020, 02:53 PM

I'm not sure if the intent is to interact with the other guests...it sounds like it might be encouraged?

I just did a tasting menu in NYC by myself, while my wife was at a work dinner. It was a 12 seater, and I was by myself, and I didn't talk to a damn person other than the chef. I also didn't know the menu up front and pre-paid for the meal...lol.

nzwasp
01-19-2020, 08:12 PM

Reminds me of those chef’s tables on cruise ships....

bjstare
01-20-2020, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure if the intent is to interact with the other guests...it sounds like it might be encouraged?

I just did a tasting menu in NYC by myself, while my wife was at a work dinner. It was a 12 seater, and I was by myself, and I didn't talk to a damn person other than the chef. I also didn't know the menu up front and pre-paid for the meal...lol.

Yeah it seems like it's encouraged? Idk. Interesting you did a tasting menu on your own and only spoke to the chef. That's encouraging haha.

Ercchry is correct, networking is never bad... I just do enough of that through work and other social avenues.

JRSC00LUDE
01-20-2020, 08:50 AM

This sounds perfect, fuck off everyone else haha

BavarianBeast
01-20-2020, 04:51 PM
Networking with a bunch of goofs at a restaurant decorated in my dead grannies furniture sounds like a terrific time. I can’t stop thinking about all the incredible connections I would make at such a place!!!

Buster
01-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Networking with a bunch of goofs at a restaurant decorated in my dead grannies furniture sounds like a terrific time. I can’t stop thinking about all the incredible connections I would make at such a place!!!

haha, I'm with you. If I'm out for dinner I don't want to start swapping business cards and discussing colabs. I just want to eat my food. Might be my stage in career though.

The_Rural_Juror
01-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Nothing wrong with sharing a cassette or two. I feel that I am entitled to drop some sick beats on the other customers if I am paying rent money for dinner. Y'all don't know what you are missing.

ThePenIsMightier
01-20-2020, 09:37 PM
Nothing wrong with sharing a cassette or two. I feel that I am entitled to drop some sick beats on the other customers if I am paying rent money for dinner. Y'all don't know what you are missing.

No shit. Drop those beats.

M9G9o4yNjwo