PDA

View Full Version : Out of Province Vehicle to AB

tonytiger55
01-21-2020, 01:03 AM
How hard is it to buy and bring in a out of province vehicle to AB..? Forgive my ignorance. This concept is totally foreign to me.

Im just browsing vehicles in BC and out east. 2020-2018. There are a lot more Subaru Cross Trek's, Forrester and Honda Fits in manual transmission :clap:. Prices seem better too. Not looking to buy yet, just doing my homework in case my Zonda has a heart attack.

Ive had a read through the 'Importing a Vehicle in Alberta' government page. What happens in a out of province inspection?
If I do buy a vehicle from outside, how much extra should I put aside in terms of cost's for inspections etc...?

Has anyone done it, any headaches, tips etc?

shakalaka
01-21-2020, 01:31 AM
Done it many times. Few things to keep in mind:

Depending on the year of the vehicle and/or mileage, you may need an out of province inspection. If the vehicle is brand new then you won't.

A local shop will inspect the vehicle on a check list and deem it 'Alberta worthy' or not. You get the certificate and take it with you when you go to register the vehicle. If it doesn't pass, fix the issues and repeat the process. Inspection can cost anywhere from $100-$150 or around there depending on where you go.

Buying in BC could also mean that you're paying additional taxes on top of GST. Reputed dealers have a way in which seeing your AB residency they will simply only charge GST but I have heard of people having to pay all the local taxes initially then after being back in AB applying for the exemption and getting a refund. Not sure what process that entails as I didn't have to do that.

Other than that's pretty much it. I do find vehicles to be noticeably cheaper in BC which is why have done it a couple of times.

pheoxs
01-21-2020, 01:37 AM
take a gander through here:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/oopexemptions.pdf

2Legit2Quit
01-21-2020, 07:37 AM
I just moved back to Calgary/Alberta and had to get both our vehicles done for the OOP

You now go to the registry first and pay $9 for a form/piece of paper that you give to whoever is doing the inspection...Cash grab.

Inspection gets done, for each vehicle it was $200+tax.

If they find anything wrong, gotta get it fixed.

Once complete take the inspection report to the registry to now be allowed to register the vehicle.