PDA

View Full Version : PMP vs CAPM

msommers
01-22-2020, 01:37 PM
Wondering what the differences are in the workplace pertaining to these two designations. My fiance works as a coordinator and work is willing to send her on either one. In real world practice, I can't tell what the differences are or what skills/perception etc that would make one better than the other.

LLLimit
01-22-2020, 02:31 PM
PMP is the higher level of the two, as it looks for:
-more PM experience to qualify for designation
-more project exposure
-harder/longer exam
-costs more $ per year

The normal case is to pursue the PMP, I believe I've only met 1 person with the CAPM designation, ever.

In real life, it has no bearing on what I do and the industry/sector I work in, even though I am managing projects & working design simultaneously.
It's helpful in reinforcing what you already know, but you're not blasting the gospel of the PMBOK in a meeting.

sabad66
01-22-2020, 02:51 PM
Never heard of CAPM either. PMP is where it's at for all the PMs i know and work with.

black_2.5RS
01-22-2020, 04:06 PM
PMP is the higher level of the two, as it looks for:
-more PM experience to qualify for designation
-more project exposure
-harder/longer exam
-costs more $ per year

The normal case is to pursue the PMP, I believe I've only met 1 person with the CAPM designation, ever.

In real life, it has no bearing on what I do and the industry/sector I work in, even though I am managing projects & working design simultaneously.
It's helpful in reinforcing what you already know, but you're not blasting the gospel of the PMBOK in a meeting.

This is bang on. The PMP is more recognized and the one to get of the two. CAPM is in my view is like advertising (or certifying) that you're junior.

bjstare
01-22-2020, 05:19 PM
Same sentiment here. I had a new grad working for me a couple years ago that had a CAPM. I feel like that says it all.

ThePenIsMightier
01-22-2020, 05:37 PM
Never heard of CAPM either. If a PMP was free, and I got paid for my time to get it, I'd consider it. Otherwise, no.
Not so interesting side note - If I see a resume that says "M.Eng, PMP" on it, I stop reading and my recycle bin becomes heavier.

finboy
01-22-2020, 06:22 PM
FYI, pmp exam suuuuucks

dirtsniffer
01-22-2020, 07:07 PM
Never heard of CAPM either. If a PMP was free, and I got paid for my time to get it, I'd consider it. Otherwise, no.
Not so interesting side note - If I see a resume that says "M.Eng, PMP" on it, I stop reading and my recycle bin becomes heavier.

What is wrong with that combo?

ThePenIsMightier
01-22-2020, 08:30 PM
What is wrong with that combo?

Commence sweeping generalization.
It's someone who's allegedly an engineer but doesn't know what rebar is or that heat tracing can't be done before piping, failed the FE a few times so they bought a horse shit degree from the U and then got their friends to lie about their work experience so they qualify to write the PMP which they managed to pass based on memorization.
Now you've got a "manager" without two clues to rub together who couldn't manage a circle jerk in a whore house, let alone a real project that doesn't follow 10% of the things it should be following according to The Great PMBOK, PbUH.
Now your actual working employees think you're a fucking idiot because you hired this twat munch to run their job and she gets paid more than most of them, so your culture goes to shit and you've got to cut this cancer out of your organization.
/Sweeping Gen.

ExtraSlow
01-22-2020, 08:34 PM
You need to be very careful with any engineer who pursued ANY further education after their Bachelors. It's often not a good sign.

killramos
01-22-2020, 09:22 PM
You need to be very careful with any engineer who pursued ANY further education after their Bachelors. It's often not a good sign.

Agreed.

dirtsniffer
01-22-2020, 09:45 PM
I have a few too many engineers with MBA's above me in my company to agree with that.

msommers
01-22-2020, 10:20 PM
She isn't in Engineering so that part is irrelevant, but I appreciate the various responses.

ExtraSlow
01-23-2020, 06:42 AM
I have a few too many engineers with MBA's above me in my company to agree with that.

Are you saying you thinking highly of thier skills and qualifications?

- - - Updated - - -

She isn't in Engineering so that part is irrelevant, but I appreciate the various responses.

You know us engineers are so insecure we make every conversation about us.

themack89
01-24-2020, 02:25 PM
Why is there so much bashing of more education? lol. If you guys carry around these attitudes you will miss out on some good opportunities. Everyone is different. You just need to talk to them.

If your wife wants to get a desig between the two, go for PMP over CAPM. CAPM Is nothing. PMP Is useful in the sense that it helps formalize a lot of concepts you might know intuitively, to help communicate it with other Project Managers. I find it also introduces you to concepts you may not have thought about. I am a very good natural project manager and I still learned a lot from the curriculum.

She will need three study tools:
PMBOK Guide 6th Edition (I may have a sample PDF if you pm me)
Ricardo Vargas Youtube Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC7pN8Mjot8)
PMP Prepcast Exam Bank (https://www.project-management-prepcast.com/pmp-exam/the-pmp-exam-simulator)

Don't memorize ITTO's. Not worth it. Do 600 to 800 questions on prepcast using the quiz method, 10 to 20 questions at a time. Review answers in detail. Learn. Rinse and repeat. Keep doing this until you average 65% on your quizzes.

Source: I got my PMP, maxed out scores in every category. Worked as project manager in construction for several years.

msommers
01-24-2020, 03:10 PM
Great info, thanks Mack :thumbsup:

black_2.5RS
01-24-2020, 05:13 PM
It's been about 10 years since I studied for the PMP but reading the PMBOK was a complete waste of time. There's a PMP Exam Prep book from Rita McCauly and make sure you know the inputs and outputs of the various PM phases and the calc for EV, if you know that, you will pass.

finboy
01-24-2020, 10:41 PM
Why is there so much bashing of more education? lol. If you guys carry around these attitudes you will miss out on some good opportunities. Everyone is different. You just need to talk to them.

If your wife wants to get a desig between the two, go for PMP over CAPM. CAPM Is nothing. PMP Is useful in the sense that it helps formalize a lot of concepts you might know intuitively, to help communicate it with other Project Managers. I find it also introduces you to concepts you may not have thought about. I am a very good natural project manager and I still learned a lot from the curriculum.

She will need three study tools:
PMBOK Guide 6th Edition (I may have a sample PDF if you pm me)
Ricardo Vargas Youtube Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC7pN8Mjot8)
PMP Prepcast Exam Bank (https://www.project-management-prepcast.com/pmp-exam/the-pmp-exam-simulator)

Don't memorize ITTO's. Not worth it. Do 600 to 800 questions on prepcast using the quiz method, 10 to 20 questions at a time. Review answers in detail. Learn. Rinse and repeat. Keep doing this until you average 65% on your quizzes.

Source: I got my PMP, maxed out scores in every category. Worked as project manager in construction for several years.

100% agree on prepcast, the best tool I used to get ready

themack89
01-24-2020, 10:51 PM
Great info, thanks Mack :thumbsup:

No problem. I guess you should also take into consideration that your wife obviously has a unique learning style. So if she is doing something that isn't working, then try something else.

Here is an excellent resource for seeing what others did to pass their exams:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pmp/

You'll end up scrolling and reading for a while, but super super useful.

g-m
01-25-2020, 10:07 AM
commence sweeping generalization.
It's someone who's allegedly an engineer but doesn't know what rebar is or that heat tracing can't be done before piping, failed the fe a few times so they bought a horse shit degree from the u and then got their friends to lie about their work experience so they qualify to write the pmp which they managed to pass based on memorization.
Now you've got a "manager" without two clues to rub together who couldn't manage a circle jerk in a whore house, let alone a real project that doesn't follow 10% of the things it should be following according to the great pmbok, pbuh.
Now your actual working employees think you're a fucking idiot because you hired this twat munch to run their job and she gets paid more than most of them, so your culture goes to shit and you've got to cut this cancer out of your organization.
/sweeping gen.

x100!