PDA

View Full Version : Ford Engineer claims Tesla has big issues

89coupe
02-02-2020, 06:01 PM
Tesla owners may want to read this

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/396298/ford-mach-e-better-than-tesla/amp/

Thaco
02-02-2020, 06:08 PM
:angel: HAHAHA Ford, saying someone else's vehicles are subpar...

ThePenIsMightier
02-02-2020, 06:10 PM

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/396298/ford-mach-e-better-than-tesla/amp/

Car Company A suggests their product is superior to Car Company C.
There's nothing, here. The most scandalous accusation is that they've used some components that weren't certified by UL. It's not like he said "I've detected a key design flaw that guarantees 62% of these vehicles will spontaneously combust in Year-7 of ownership."
I bet Ford has 40+ engineers working in his unique department, alone. Doi we care what one guy thinks?

benyl
02-02-2020, 06:21 PM
hahaha. I can see the Mach-E having a shit ton of problems at launch.

ExtraSlow
02-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Yeah, the KNOWN flaws are worth talking about, but clearly haven't been problematic enough to derail the growth. Some guy with an axe to grind is hardly a credible or newsworthy source.

Buster
02-02-2020, 06:34 PM
I don't need a Ford engineer to tell me Teslas have shit build quality. It's common knowledge.

killramos
02-02-2020, 06:42 PM
I don't need a Ford engineer to tell me Teslas have shit build quality. It's common knowledge.

And no one cares

Tesla is McDonald’s

https://youtu.be/6YDTfEhChgw

revelations
02-02-2020, 08:29 PM
And no one cares

Tesla is McDonald’s

How is a 150,000 CAD vehicle, in anyway compared to McDonald's?

sneek
02-02-2020, 08:38 PM
:angel: HAHAHA Ford, saying someone else's vehicles are subpar...

My thoughts exactly. I have detailed a bunch of Tesla's and I can honestly say they aren't amazing but they also aren't awful. Panel gaps and the paint are subpar for sure, but I can't say I have seen the best quality out of ford either.

killramos
02-02-2020, 09:01 PM
How is a 150,000 CAD vehicle, in anyway compared to McDonald's?

Maybe Model S’s are a bad example for being Overpriced for what they are, But Tesla in general is what you get when you want next years technology, today, for prices people can afford.

Quality cheeseburgers should cost $$$, but people want to pay $.

Telsa McDonalds

gpomp
02-02-2020, 11:05 PM
Apparently Tesla's have similar build quality to 90's Kia's.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-by-engineering-firm-reveals-qual-1822678045

Darkane
02-03-2020, 09:24 AM
Apparently Tesla's have similar build quality to 90's Kia's.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-by-engineering-firm-reveals-qual-1822678045

Sounds right. In 25 years they’ll finally be right in quality.

But man, the new telluride is gorgeous hahah.

heavyD
02-03-2020, 09:40 AM
I don't see anything controversial in his comments as most people realize Tesla's are great tech assembled to Chrysler K-car standards.

Darell_n
02-03-2020, 10:25 AM
I don't see anything controversial in his comments as most people realize Tesla's are great tech assembled to Chrysler K-car standards.

K-cars lasted forever and could be repaired with whatever change was in your pocket. Quite the opposite of Tesla cost wise.

googe
02-09-2020, 06:54 PM
Nothing at all insightful in that post. Surprised he took it down though, it wasn't that bad.

Also I think my Ford has had 3 recalls in the year since I bought it new, so, glass houses, throwing stones, etc. Also, one of the doors never has closed quite right, because it's slightly misaligned. Oh, and didn't they accidentally two-tone paint benyl's truck from the factory? Haha

I believe new F-150s still have a widespread and unresolved cold start rattle issue on the 3.5 EBs. They don't seem to know how to make a proper fix, so they keep changing everyone's cam phasers when they complain and it comes back again. Actually isn't there a thread about it on beyond?

Xtrema
02-09-2020, 08:32 PM

At this point, you re probably safer telling Muslims how Islam is a scam

revelations
02-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Maybe Model S’s are a bad example for being Overpriced for what they are, But Tesla in general is what you get when you want next years technology, today, for prices people can afford.

Quality cheeseburgers should cost $$$, but people want to pay $.

Telsa McDonalds

Fine, even a 60,000$ 'stripper' model 3 (base) - these things are still built like shit - worse than a Corolla for sure in terms of build quality. Reports are streaming in from all over the globe.

A top level Corolla will come over 30,000$. Why the fuck would I want to pay 2x as much for a build that is not 2x better.

rage2
02-09-2020, 10:17 PM
Fine, even a 60,000$ 'stripper' model 3 (base) - these things are still built like shit - worse than a Corolla for sure in terms of build quality. Reports are streaming in from all over the globe.

A top level Corolla will come over 30,000$. Why the fuck would I want to pay 2x as much for a build that is not 2x better.
Because it drives nothing like a corolla?

You’re paying for the drivetrain. If you want build quality, go buy a corolla.

revelations
02-09-2020, 10:42 PM
Because it drives nothing like a corolla?

You’re paying for the drivetrain. If you want build quality, go buy a corolla.

This is what I mean - no longer are people expecting quality in a mass produced vehicle that STARTS at 60,000$. Fully loaded 3s are north of 90,000$.

For eg, I understand patching paint work on my 20 year old F350 - but not on a 7 day old Tesla at that price range, and this happening to thousands of people.

The fuck is going on?? :confused:

ExtraSlow
02-10-2020, 07:50 AM
This is what I mean - no longer are people expecting quality in a mass produced vehicle that STARTS at 60,000$. Fully loaded 3s are north of 90,000$.

For eg, I understand patching paint work on my 20 year old F350 - but not on a 7 day old Tesla at that price range, and this happening to thousands of people.

One way or another, Tesla isn't valued like a car company, and the device they sell isn't treated like a "car" either. I don't understand it, but I'm at least trying to accept it.

Aleks
02-10-2020, 08:26 AM

Tesla sold something like 370M units globally last year. ~ 75MM new vehicles were sold in 2019 globally. It isn't hard to imagine that 0.5% of car buyers out there would prioritize drivetrain in a vehicle and accept poor build quality as a compromise especially since these things are now also viewed as status symbols? :dunno:

rage2
02-10-2020, 08:30 AM

It's because we're the exception. We're car people, on a car forum, picky about things that only we care about. We're the 5% that care about these things. Fact of the matter is, nobody cares about lap times, build quality, panel gaps, none of that shit. Go shopping with non car people and see if they give a fuck about how fast it goes on the ring, or gaps and over/under spray unless you explicitly point it out. The only thing they care about that you and I would relate to is probably hp and 0-60. Everything else in inconsequential. They're the majority, we're the exception, Tesla figured it out and focused on what the majority cares about leaving us scratching our heads.

One of my friends loves his Model S P100D, had it since it was introduced so a couple of years. Met up with him and my head blew up from the complete misalignment of the trunk and bumper. He never even noticed it in his years of ownership.

killramos
02-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Pretty sure the only thing that matters is the final monthly payment guys

ExtraSlow
02-10-2020, 08:33 AM
...They're the majority, we're the exception, Tesla figured it out ...
Coles: Tesla understand the car market better than we do. Certainly seems to be true.

Buster
02-10-2020, 09:21 AM
Tesla sold something like 370M units globally last year. ~ 75MM new vehicles were sold in 2019 globally. It isn't hard to imagine that 0.5% of car buyers out there would prioritize drivetrain in a vehicle and accept poor build quality as a compromise especially since these things are now also viewed as status symbols? :dunno:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Tesla is like the 1990s Big3. Big engine, fast in a straight like, but heavy and built like shit.

Stuart
02-10-2020, 09:58 AM
I may be willing to listen to the Ford engineer if they had not completely forgot to put handles on the rear doors of the Mach-E. :banghead:

revelations
02-10-2020, 12:21 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Tesla is like the 1990s Big3. Big engine, fast in a straight like, but heavy and built like shit.

And I agree with that - what I DONT get is how this is normalized (accepted) on a vehicle that costs almost 90,000$ fully loaded.

A 1991 Chevy Sprint (like my dad had) was built cheap and cost about 12,000$ in todays dollars to buy. The drivetrain was actually very decent for the time (iron block 3 banger that lasted, 45-55mpg) - but the doors/interior and trim was junk. But thats what you EXPECTED.

benyl
02-10-2020, 12:32 PM
Coles: Tesla understand the car market better than we do. Certainly seems to be true.

You should read the Tesla forums and facebook groups. It's fucking retarded what people ask about and discuss. Tesla knows that in order to make money, you have to go after the people who don't care about details.

I want to ask EV owners if they have done the calc of TCO including battery replacements. I have yet to see it come into the equation. Most EV owners are cult members who cannot see reality.

89coupe
02-11-2020, 01:05 PM
I thought this was funny.

https://youtu.be/PLxPAwIeL0w

adam c
02-11-2020, 01:25 PM
I thought this was funny.

This was good