PDA

View Full Version : Moving to The Hamptons, Telus only offers Internet 15.........

Badiha
02-04-2020, 06:07 PM
Hey guys,

Currently with Telus in Citadel with Internet 150. Moving 4 km away in The Hamptons and well, they only offer Internet 15!

Shaw offers BlueCurve 600 but upload is s****. There is also Internet 300. Unsure if 300 or 600 really make a difference.

TekSavvy seems to be using the Shaw's network. Anything else you would recommend? What do you think of Shaw overall? Been with Telus for 6 years. Wifi is ok. It's sometimes down and it can also be unreliable even with an extender. (They just sent me a booster and it seems fine so far)

Thanks!

killramos
02-04-2020, 06:10 PM
Considered a search, or even a perusal of recent threads?

rage2
02-04-2020, 06:35 PM
If telus ftth available then get telus else get Shaw.

NoSup4U
02-04-2020, 06:47 PM
That doesn’t seem right? I just typed in 3 random addresses from the Hamptons and all showed 75 as available. Are you going by what someone told you, or did you actually contact Telus, or even enter your address on their website for available options?

Badiha
02-04-2020, 06:53 PM
That doesn’t seem right? I just typed in 3 random addresses from the Hamptons and all showed 75 as available. Are you going by what someone told you, or did you actually contact Telus, or even enter your address on their website for available options?

I did enter my address and also checked with Telus support just in case.......................

The_Rural_Juror
02-04-2020, 06:59 PM
I did enter my address and also checked with Telus support just in case.......................

I would not advise that you enter your neighbor's address, subscribe under their address, and the steal internet from them in the middle of the night.

Badiha
02-04-2020, 07:02 PM
I would not advise that you enter your neighbor's address, subscribe under their address, and the steal internet from them in the middle of the night.

Believe it or not, according to Telus map, the neighbour has Internet 6. I didn’t even know that it was an existing plan. Looks like it is. Further down the road, some have Internet 75.

ExtraSlow
02-04-2020, 07:29 PM
or even enter your address on their website for available options?funny enough, the Telus website for years hasn't been able to find my address at all. Checked today, still can't. Just a numbered street/avenue part of town, so nothing new or confusing. But I have FTTH anyway.

rage2
02-05-2020, 05:09 AM
Telus sucks if there’s no ftth. It just depends how far away you live from the closest telus box. I’m not as bad as Hamptons, but my fastest is telus 50 while some of my neighbors are max out at 25. You can’t even get TV in the shitty areas.

botox
02-05-2020, 09:03 AM
I'm in Hamptons and best Telus could do was 75 and Shaw 300. No fiber for either.

pheoxs
02-05-2020, 09:29 AM
Similar thing happened to me when I moved last. Condo building, despite being built a bit over 10 years ago and is very inner city, only had telus DSL or shaw Cable and because of so many people Telus would only offer 15meg. Even DSL through the resellers wouldn't do above 15 so had to go with Shaw. It was decent, still got 300/20 so can't complain.

Unfortunately FTTH is very slow rollout unless you're in a new build neighbourhood or brand new condo it seems.

bjstare
02-05-2020, 09:44 AM
Telus sucks if there’s no ftth. It just depends how far away you live from the closest telus box. I’m not as bad as Hamptons, but my fastest is telus 50 while some of my neighbors are max out at 25. You can’t even get TV in the shitty areas.

FWIW I have Telus Internet 150 but no FTTH, and it's pretty good. (They bonded my copper lines to get the 150)

Badiha
02-05-2020, 09:56 AM
I'm in Hamptons and best Telus could do was 75 and Shaw 300. No fiber for either.

Looks like they would do 600 where I am going to live. Did you try again? Still saying 300? Kinda sounds like to me that Shaw covers all of the Hamptons but not Telus.

sabad66
02-05-2020, 10:17 AM
FWIW I have Telus Internet 150 but no FTTH, and it's pretty good. (They bonded my copper lines to get the 150)

same. absolutely no complaints with copper 150, TV (master 4k PVR + 1 wireless 4k box + 2 wireless 1080p boxes) works fine too although i don't run multiple 4k streams or anything crazy. Modem has two copper lines going into it.

@OP, just get Shaw or one of their resellers if you want faster internet.

firebane
02-05-2020, 10:28 AM
same. absolutely no complaints with copper 150, TV (master 4k PVR + 1 wireless 4k box + 2 wireless 1080p boxes) works fine too although i don't run multiple 4k streams or anything crazy. Modem has two copper lines going into it.

@OP, just get Shaw or one of their resellers if you want faster internet.

Resellers work through Telus or Shaw and very seldom will they have speeds any different as they use the same infrastructure.

sabad66
02-05-2020, 10:40 AM
Resellers work through Telus or Shaw and very seldom will they have speeds any different as they use the same infrastructure.

yup, that's why he would have to go through shaw or a shaw reseller if he wants anything better than 15.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-05-2020, 10:44 AM
My parents have Shaw in the Hamptons and it still seems hella slow sometimes.

Xtrema
02-05-2020, 11:19 AM
Telus can't beat Shaw in Hamptons. And Shaw knows it. So make sure you get the best newcomer discount package deal as you can because you will be begging on renewals. Retention trick rarely works once you give them postal code.

Been in Hamptons for 17 years. Shaw's speed has been good but service outage seems to be a bit more frequent lately. Instead of once every 3-4 years, last 3 years has been once or twice every year. Probably due to all the old guards took the package and noobs operating the environment are less careful.

And given that we are adding ~70 houses to neighborhood due to golf course redevelopment, not sure how the network will cope going forward. But it's not like there's another supplier. Telus sucks here without FTTH.

speedog
02-05-2020, 01:12 PM

When did Shaw start offering FTTH?

speedog
02-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Similar thing happened to me when I moved last. Condo building, despite being built a bit over 10 years ago and is very inner city, only had telus DSL or shaw Cable and because of so many people Telus would only offer 15meg. Even DSL through the resellers wouldn't do above 15 so had to go with Shaw. It was decent, still got 300/20 so can't complain.

Unfortunately FTTH is very slow rollout unless you're in a new build neighbourhood or brand new condo it seems.

Actually a lot of older communities that have aerial infrastructure already have TELUS FTTH, our home was built in 1955 and we've had TELUS FTTH for a number of years now. The speed at which they put the aerial fiber cable in place up on the poles was quite amazing.

thinmyster
02-05-2020, 02:55 PM
Telus 15 only offered in my part of Cranston! 2001 build.

Mitsu3000gt
02-05-2020, 03:03 PM
IMO This is the hierarchy:

Telus FTTH > Shaw > Shaw Re-sellers > Telus copper

rage2
02-05-2020, 05:40 PM

I concur.

I've been with Shaw since the initial cable modem launch in '96. Varsity was one of the first launch areas. 24 years with Shaw. They've done me no wrong over the years, helping me run my businesses, and WFH endeavours with great performance. With that said if Telus FTTH launches at my house, I'm switching. :rofl:

speedog
02-05-2020, 06:08 PM
I concur.

I've been with Shaw since the initial cable modem launch in '96. Varsity was one of the first launch areas. 24 years with Shaw. They've done me no wrong over the years, helping me run my businesses, and WFH endeavours with great performance. With that said if Telus FTTH launches at my house, I'm switching. :rofl:

Traitor.

cyra1ax
02-08-2020, 01:55 PM

Thanks, was exactly what I was trying to figure out. Going from a Telus FTTH to a new build where apparently the developer didn't get along with Telus so it wasn't run. Still dreading having to go back to Shaw though, seems like they've had more and more issues the past month.

rvd
02-09-2020, 12:22 AM
So shaw doesn't slow down considerably during peak hours for most of you ? Are you all living in non congested area's ?

killramos
02-09-2020, 09:21 AM
I have never noticed my Shaw materially slow down during peak hours in over 6 years.

ExtraSlow
02-09-2020, 09:37 AM
Most people most of the time aren't using over 50-ish anyway. You can stream 2 HD streams and surf the net at 50, no issue. Or the 720hd or whatev the channels are.

Where's my thread for me being on internet 25 and being fully happy? It's back there.

Edit, apparently it was 15, lol.
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/407929-Shaw-Wide-Open-Internet-300-is-out-now!?p=4764868#post4764868

firebane
02-09-2020, 09:45 AM
Most people most of the time aren't using over 50-ish anyway. You can stream 2 HD streams and surf the net at 50, no issue. Or the 720hd or whatev the channels are.

Where's my thread for me being on internet 25 and being fully happy? It's back there.

Speeds only matter to a very few amount of people. If you did a blind test between say 100 and 600 people wouldn't really notice. Your bandwidth is still ultimately determined by routing and server speeds.

For my needs 25 wouldn't cut it and why I have Shaw 300

J-D
02-09-2020, 11:34 AM
According to the person I talked to (who knows if it's true) at Telus, supposedly City Council and Telus were fighting back and forth so Fiber roll out is going to be pretty slow in Calgary. Probably too busy pushing bike lane & arena policy ;)

speedog
02-09-2020, 12:41 PM
According to the person I talked to (who knows if it's true) at Telus, supposedly City Council and Telus were fighting back and forth so Fiber roll out is going to be pretty slow in Calgary. Probably too busy pushing bike lane & arena policy ;)

One just doesn't put hardwired utliities in for free. Right of ways are a negotiable item. New aerial FTTH is easy but new underground FTTH is not and from what I can remember if my HELUS years, they had a lot of people whose jobs were just to deal with ROW issues.

rage2
02-09-2020, 01:17 PM
So shaw doesn't slow down considerably during peak hours for most of you ? Are you all living in non congested area's ?
I’ve never had slowdowns. My parents in Kincora did but Shaw eventually expanded and fixed that.

heavyD
02-10-2020, 01:16 PM
How do you know if Telus FTTH is available in your area? I haven't found any decent mapping on this.

firebane
02-10-2020, 01:31 PM
How do you know if Telus FTTH is available in your area? I haven't found any decent mapping on this.

There isn't. Basically either talk to them or go their website and look up Pure Fiber availability.

Its not something widely available unfortunately and caters to very small areas.

pheoxs
02-10-2020, 03:54 PM

Type in your address to their online locator and see what pops up.

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/shop/eligibility

ShermanEF9
02-10-2020, 08:56 PM
When did Shaw start offering FTTH?

They did a trial run in a couple of newer neighborhoods in Calgary and Edmonton. They haven't really done much since.

speedog
02-11-2020, 12:22 AM
They did a trial run in a couple of newer neighborhoods in Calgary and Edmonton. They haven't really done much since.

Probably because they'll wait for TELUS to build out their FTTH and then be forced by the CRTC to resell their FTTH entrances into people's homes.