PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a vehicle with a rebuilt title?

asp integra
02-05-2020, 12:21 PM
Looking to buy a new truck and I come across the odd one for sale with a rebuilt title and it got me thinking, would you buy a vehicle with a rebuilt title? Yes, no, why?

firebane
02-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Depends on the vehicle and why it ended up in that status for.

Ca_Silvia13
02-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Never ever, ever. Way too many variables and far too many un-qualified repair shops out there.

shakalaka
02-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Depends. If it’s something cheap that I am gonna throw away after, sure. If something fancy that I plan to enjoy and hope to re-sell in the future then no.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Not unless it was close to free, the amount of shit repair I see on non rebuilt title vehicles alone is scary.

Rocket1k78
02-05-2020, 12:52 PM
Not unless it was close to free, the amount of shit repair I see on non rebuilt title vehicles alone is scary.

This! it would have to be majorly discounted for me to even consider it.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2020, 12:56 PM
I'd buy rebuilt on a vehicle only is 1) I was geeing a MASSIVE discount and 2), I intended to keep it a long time.

Selling a rebuilt vehicle is a nightmare.

Skrilla
02-05-2020, 01:18 PM
I love the ads that have "Rebuilt title due to mirror breaking off" or some ridiculous thing like that on a $30k vehicle. As for owning them, I have had a few but always just as beaters, would never buy anything of value with a branded title....mostly because the PITA it will be to sell it.

rx7boi
02-05-2020, 01:37 PM
Agreed with what others have said. There's a shitload of rebuilt out there and the worst part is, most sellers hope buyers aren't savvy enough to ask so they don't say anything. If they do disclose, they'll try to downplay it.

That said, if it got rebuilt because of hail I might consider it. But anything other than cosmetic, I wouldn't.

Is hail damage purely considered cosmetic or is there an impact on mechanical that I'm unaware of?

born2workoncars
02-05-2020, 01:44 PM
If the nature of the salvage title and subsequent repairs and certification were fully documented, I would consider it on a case by case basis.

There's a 2006 M3 Coupe 6MT ZCP w/ a rebuilt title that I'm interested in, but lacks documentation.

Buster
02-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Nope. Life's too short

revelations
02-05-2020, 02:13 PM
If it was a vehicle that I was familiar with, plus a proper mechanical inspection on top, plus I was planning on keeping it until it dies - yes.

For a daily driver, esp. if its expensive - no.

However the REASONS why it was written off are important as well.

Tik-Tok
02-05-2020, 02:30 PM
For 1/2 the price of a similar, non-write off, yes.

benz_890
02-05-2020, 02:30 PM
Depending on seller, vehicle, why it was written off etc

Rocket1k78
02-05-2020, 05:05 PM
Agreed with what others have said. There's a shitload of rebuilt out there and the worst part is, most sellers hope buyers aren't savvy enough to ask so they don't say anything. If they do disclose, they'll try to downplay it.

I was looking for a rav4 for my niece and there were quite a few that did not disclose it was rebuilt unless i asked for accidents and pretty much every reply i got back was "it was repaired better than new":facepalm: The worst part is most would only discount a few hundred after i found out

Darell_n
02-05-2020, 05:41 PM
I owned a rebuilt Subaru WRX for 10 years and traded a same year non turbo high mileage Impreza plus $5k for it. Had no issues but Subarus are lego so I’d be more cautious with anything else. FYI, rebuilt status had no effect on insurance write off valuation.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2020, 05:42 PM
FYI, rebuilt status had no effect on insurance write off valuation.this surprises me.

corsvette
02-05-2020, 05:52 PM
Older vehicles I'd be fine with it. Years back when my sister was in uni, i bought her a 2005 Acura EL with 126,000 km. Needed a bumper cover, headlamp, left fender and hood. Found all the parts at a wrecker (same color) for $800. All told we had $3500 invested in the car after all expenses. The inspection itself was very involved, they checked everything out thoroughly.. She had 5 trouble free years out of it before the Airdrie hailstorm wrote it off again (she received full market value too). It's all retaliative to the value of a vehicle, don't think I'd buy anything for more than 15k that had a salvage unless I planned to keep it forever.. I see plenty of high end vehicles with $30,000+ carfax repair claims when they were a year or two old. Same model vehicle gets into a fender bender in a parking lot 10 years later it'll be written off. Some would still buy the clean title vehicle thinking the salvaged would have some horrible issues.

Body shops are very expensive. On a older car, a broken headlamp and grill can be enough to write it off.

brucebanner
02-05-2020, 06:04 PM
I have in the past. Drove the car for 4~ years no issues at all.

Didn't have a terrible time selling it either.

Now would I? Would be very vehicle dependent and how badly I wanted said vehicle

Darell_n
02-05-2020, 06:44 PM
this surprises me.

You and me both. I received double of what I expected.

spikerS
02-05-2020, 07:12 PM
My last Dodge Ram had a rebuilt title, but truth be told, it was a beater. Would I buy another rebuilt? sure. As long as it is inspected by my preferred mechanic of choice and it comes back clean, I see no issue why not. And if I get a good deal on it because of the rebuilt status, save the money.

There is such a weird stigma attached to a rebuilt status that boggles me. With how pricey labor and parts are these days, 4-5K in parts can write off a new vehicle because repair shops soak the hell outta insurance companies on the labor side, and those 4-5k in parts could just be a couple fenders, headlights, hood, and bumper, and the frame rails can be pristine. And remember, those replacement parts I mentioned are straight up bolt ons. I dunno, like I said, personally, I have no issues with them, as long as the repairs are done correctly. I get the discount, and a nice vehicle to drive.

Ed Bolian has it right. Get the high mileage bad examples and enjoy them at a fraction of the price, and then sell them later and break even.

The only thing *rebuilt* means is that the insurance company decided it was not worth their effort to repair, or it was cheaper to write it off, versus to repair it. As such, it is a subjective opinion and not necessarily a reflection of the vehicle condition.

AndyL
02-05-2020, 08:07 PM
5k is a single panel. Or bumper. That's how we rough estimated in towing. Typical rear ender - hood, bumper 2fenders. 20k. Is it worth less than 40? Yes, get your shit - it's toast. No, probably be at the body shop in 2-3 days.

Subarus tend to get written off because parts supply is horrible and resale is good at auction.

I'll buy rebuilds all day long as long as I'm happy that it's not 2 cars welded together. But I'm a cheap prick and my price will reflect it. :)

speedog
02-05-2020, 08:27 PM
Why is this even being discussed here? Don't all beyond ballers just buy or lease new? Including for their kids?

arcticcat522
02-05-2020, 09:10 PM
Why is this even being discussed here? Don't all beyond ballers just buy or lease new? Including for their kids?

I would love to lease a kid.....if they turn out a little shit, give'm back and try again ...hahahah

jwslam
02-06-2020, 10:06 AM
I would love to lease a kid.....if they turn out a little shit, give'm back and try again ...hahahah
Imagine all the greasy used kid sale lots...
KidKonnetionz

- - - Updated - - -

My brother against my opinion bought a non-rebuilt 10yo car.
Very visible that it had been through a Marlborough Garage Repair from horrible paint match and panel alignment.

6mo in the brakes went. Going in for replacement at a real shop, they found out why the wear rate was so high; the rotors were different sized, neither being the manufacturer size :banghead:

It's an 08 that is still on the road today, but continues to boil my blood.

MalibuStacy
02-06-2020, 11:07 PM
Yes I would, but it would have to be the right vehicle. My car is a mostly fully loaded C30 Rdesign T5 (missing heated seats and a few other smaller options). When I bought it last year it only had 106000 on the chassis. The engine and trans only had 76000. It has a rebuilt status, was rebuilt by Volvo. Reason for the status, when it was only a 4 years old, the car slammed the oil pan on a speed-bump. Engine was really expensive at the time and it was replaced. Then it was damaged again in the same way, (this gave it the rebuild) and again it was serviced by the guys at Volvo.

And before you go after me for things like frame damage, I have three friends with P1 chassis Volvo' and they have all had the smae problem. The oil pan lays lower then the sub frame and these cars sit low. Just the other day I went to PNP and the wrecked C30 was low km, reason for the salvage, blown oil pan.

Masked Bandit
02-06-2020, 11:50 PM
With the right info and price, absolutely. A family member has owned & driven a rebuilt for going on eight years & 100,000 KM now, paid about 55% of the value of similar non-rebuilt title cars.