PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Daytona 500: God Emperor is taking “The Beast” for a lap

Darkane
02-16-2020, 12:52 PM
Trump is the Marshall and shining star of Daytona this year.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/16/politics/donald-trump-melania-trump-daytona-500-nascar-race/index.html

rage2
02-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Tuned in haha

ExtraSlow
02-16-2020, 01:29 PM
How fast dat bitch go?

Darkane
02-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Man, I’m ultra proud to be Canadian (not just western), but the Americans can sure put in a patriotic show hahah.

Fighter jets, the beast, Trump, military singing the anthem (really good too).

I can hear the bald eagles. And Metallica crushing the speakers in the back ground!

rage2
02-16-2020, 02:15 PM
I liked the black guy playing and singing country songs wearing an Iron Maiden shirt. Not something you see everyday. Unless you follow nascar I guess.

How much armour does the beast have to weigh 22,000 lbs haha.

rage2
02-16-2020, 02:34 PM
What just happened? Did they stop the race because of rain might be coming?

Darkane
02-16-2020, 02:53 PM
I liked the black guy playing and singing country songs wearing an Iron Maiden shirt. Not something you see everyday. Unless you follow nascar I guess.

I fell for the same thing. Darius was wearing a Parliament(?) shirt.

He use to be the singer for Hootie and the blowfish. Now he sings in snakeskin boots! Lol

rage2
02-16-2020, 03:26 PM
I fell for the same thing. Darius was wearing a Parliament(?) shirt.

He use to be the singer for Hootie and the blowfish. Now he sings in snakeskin boots! Lol
That makes slightly more sense haha.

spikerS
02-16-2020, 03:36 PM

well, the floor pan of the beast is almost 6" thick AR steel, and the doors alone are like 12" thick. Have a close look if you ever see the president coming in or out of it on TV, and pay close attention to how he has to swing his legs over the door sills, or to how thick the doors actually are. It's pretty crazy.

https://historygarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Cadillac-Presidential-Limo-The-Beast-White-House-Down-replica-rear-door.jpg

rage2
02-16-2020, 03:53 PM
NASCAR needs rain tires.

Darkane
02-16-2020, 05:14 PM
NASCAR needs rain tires.

Yeah brutal lol.

SKR
02-16-2020, 06:03 PM
Oval racing in the rain would be so dumb. It would be like going to a metal show and the band plays an acoustic set. It's like yeah, that's kind of what it's supposed to be, but it's not what anybody wants.

killramos
02-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Good show

speedog
02-16-2020, 08:24 PM
NASCAR needs rain tires.

They do have them for road courses but 200mph in rain on a banked oval is quite a different thing.

rage2
02-16-2020, 09:12 PM
They do have them for road courses but 200mph in rain on a banked oval is quite a different thing.

https://youtu.be/0-E_pzabRNU

https://youtu.be/NhG681KWO24

SKR
02-16-2020, 09:52 PM
I'm not an engineer, (and I haven't watched the videos either, I'm just going off the titles) but that's two series that have a tremendous amount of aerodynamic grip that NASCAR doesn't have. Stock cars can barely hold onto the track when it's dry. Or maybe it has fuck all to do with that, I don't know. I don't like rain racing any time. It's always just so slow and stupid and who cares. I'm not watching any Daytona 500 where the cars are tiptoeing around at 100mph. Zero percent of the global population would rather see that than postpone it a day to run 200mph in the sunshine.

speedog
02-16-2020, 11:14 PM
I'm not an engineer, (and I haven't watched the videos either, I'm just going off the titles) but that's two series that have a tremendous amount of aerodynamic grip that NASCAR doesn't have. Stock cars can barely hold onto the track when it's dry. Or maybe it has fuck all to do with that, I don't know. I don't like rain racing any time. It's always just so slow and stupid and who cares. I'm not watching any Daytona 500 where the cars are tiptoeing around at 100mph. Zero percent of the global population would rather see that than postpone it a day to run 200mph in the sunshine.

You're either a hater or not, rage2 has already cast his vote.

rage2
02-17-2020, 10:12 AM
I’m not a hater. Rain tires on an oval on rain tires would genuinely be exciting imo. Sure it won’t be 200mph but it sure won’t be 100mph if you’ve got rain tires on. Let’s say 170-180mph laps on the limit would be phenomenal.

To be fair I was a big indycar fan. They don’t run rain tires on ovals either and I’ve always criticized them for that.

ExtraSlow
02-17-2020, 10:15 AM
less grip is always a good thing for Nascar excitement. I still say the greatest moment of racing in that series was this:

SKR
02-17-2020, 11:36 AM
I’m not a hater. Rain tires on an oval on rain tires would genuinely be exciting imo. Sure it won’t be 200mph but it sure won’t be 100mph if you’ve got rain tires on. Let’s say 170-180mph laps on the limit would be phenomenal.

You're right that it probably wouldn't be 100mph, but I don't think it would be 170. I really don't think the grip would be there to hold that through the corners, and even worse through the tri-oval. They manage to crash on dry pavement at speeds slower than that.

It would be a different dynamic, I'll give you that. They'd probably have to brake going into turns 1 and 3. But that's how they do it at Indianapolis, Michigan and California, and you'll never be as bored as you will be watching one of those races.

SKR
02-17-2020, 11:42 AM
less grip is always a good thing for Nascar excitement. I still say the greatest moment of racing in that series was this:

As fun as that was, that was mechanical failure.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150721132451/http://www.thatsracin.com/2012/02/29/v-print/82870/recalling-details-surrounding.html

rage2
02-17-2020, 11:43 AM
You're right that it probably wouldn't be 100mph, but I don't think it would be 170. I really don't think the grip would be there to hold that through the corners, and even worse through the tri-oval. They manage to crash on dry pavement at speeds slower than that.

It would be a different dynamic, I'll give you that. They'd probably have to brake going into turns 1 and 3. But that's how they do it at Indianapolis, Michigan and California, and you'll never be as bored as you will be watching one of those races.
It’ll separate the men from the boys.

I think you’re underestimating how good rain tires are these days. Not counting monsoon levels of rain or hydroplaning (which should never happen with banking) you’re looking at a 10% reduction in grip levels on just mechanical grip compared to slicks.

SKR
02-17-2020, 11:49 AM
I think you’re underestimating how good rain tires are these days.

I could be. I don't watch any rain racing because I hate it so much. Maybe I've missed out on technological advances. Does Goodyear supply rain tires to any other major racing series?

rage2
02-17-2020, 11:55 AM
I could be. I don't watch any rain racing because I hate it so much. Maybe I've missed out on technological advances. Does Goodyear supply rain tires to any other major racing series?
They only do NASCAR and nhra afaik.

speedog
02-17-2020, 07:08 PM
Ummm, wow. Newman's crash has to be one of the nastiest I've seen in a while. Hit right in the driver's window area while upside down in the air. He was taken directly to hospital.

SKR
02-17-2020, 07:13 PM
Bad bad crash to finish the race. Coming to the line one car got turned, flipped and was pounded by another car right in the driver's window. One replay, a lot of shaky voices in post race interviews, driver loaded straight into an ambulance and sent to a hospital. No word on condition yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Ummm, wow. Newman's crash has to be one of the nastiest I've seen in a while. Hit right in the driver's window area while upside down in the air. He was taken directly to hospital.

When they showed him upside down, on fire, and the camera zoomed in on gas pouring out that's probably as horrified as I've ever been. When they got it out I thought he was okay, but when they showed the replay of the driver's side roll bar caved in, I don't know.

speedog
02-17-2020, 07:22 PM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1229571858955005952

https://youtu.be/igIzNTTdGbs

SKR
02-17-2020, 08:45 PM

That's Newman's car in the air. I hope that driver's door isn't as bad as it looks.

Edit: Steve O'Donnell, EVP of NASCAR, just read a statement from Roush Fenway Racing saying Newman is in serious but not life threatening condition. So that's better news than it could have been.

speedog
02-17-2020, 09:08 PM
It was as bad as it looks and the roll cage above the window was crushed in as well. Newman has walked away from some nasty flops but this was different in that his car got impacted in a very vulnerable area by another car with a speed differential that could've easily been 100mph. Over two hours now, no update.

speedog
02-17-2020, 09:13 PM
NASCAR just released that he is in serious condition but his injuries are not considered life threatening any more.

Thaco
02-17-2020, 09:18 PM
It was as bad as it looks and the roll cage above the window was crushed in as well. Newman has walked away from some nasty flops but this was different in that his car got impacted in a very vulnerable area by another car with a speed differential that could've easily been 100mph. Over two hours now, no update.

there was an update recently, but basically just said he's in serious condition in hospital and to respect him and his family's privacy.

mikestypes
02-17-2020, 11:58 PM
When they showed him upside down, on fire, and the camera zoomed in on gas pouring out that's probably as horrified as I've ever been. When they got it out I thought he was okay, but when they showed the replay of the driver's side roll bar caved in, I don't know.

Pretty sure that was the oil tank behind the drivers seat. If that much gas was coming out with an open flame right there, it would have been an inferno. Hope he isn’t too messed up.

speedog
02-19-2020, 12:00 AM
Newman apparently is able to fully converse, able to sit upright in bed. He has massive bruising on his head and doctors fully expect him to be able to walk.

Ironically, a bar added to the roll cage of all NASCAR racecars in 2010 may have saved his life. This bar was nicknamed the Newman Bar which was put into place because of Ryan Newman's bad 2009 Talladega accident.

speedog
02-19-2020, 12:50 PM
The man is up, walking and talking. Quite amazing considering the hit his car took and where it took the hit - certainly a testament to the safety improvements made over the years.

SKR
02-19-2020, 03:13 PM
That's awesome. I was so sure he was dead.