PDA

View Full Version : Selling a car privately

jazzyb
02-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Hey all,

So it’s time for me to part with my vehicle, in a expedited manner since I already bought the replacement.

Couple questions:

How do u guys go about valuing the vehicle?

It’s had a 3000 claim on it from someone keying it, had to replace all the 3m etc, how much should I discount for this?

I know of kijiji and autotrader, any other places?

FYI , it’s a 15 bmw 428i with 42000km

shakalaka
02-16-2020, 07:23 PM
Look online for similar make, model and mileage vehicles and see their listing price. Depending on the level of desperation to sell it, price it as aggressively based on the average prices.

rx7boi
02-19-2020, 04:26 PM
If the cosmetic repair was done and the paint matched correctly, I wouldn't take too much off nor would I let someone diminish its value purely based off of it getting keyed. That's the least of worries when it comes to used vehicles.

I'd be inclined to list it at slightly below market value and see what happens but it sounds like you're in a bit of a rush. Just be transparent with the car and tell low balls to go eat shit.

Kijiji will get you a shitload of tirekickers/lowballers. Autotrader is a pretty decent place.

PM'd you about a Carfax as well.

370Z
02-19-2020, 04:50 PM
If the cosmetic repair was done and the paint matched correctly, I wouldn't take too much off nor would I let someone diminish its value purely based off of it getting keyed. That's the least of worries when it comes to used vehicles.

I'd be inclined to list it at slightly below market value and see what happens but it sounds like you're in a bit of a rush. Just be transparent with the car and tell low balls to go eat shit.

Kijiji will get you a shitload of tirekickers/lowballers. Autotrader is a pretty decent place.

PM'd you about a Carfax as well.

I've never tried Autotrader... are you telling me there's no House of Cars shitbags on there preying on desperate sellers?! I guess what im asking is what makes it "decent"?

jwslam
02-19-2020, 04:52 PM
It’s had a 3000 claim on it from someone keying it, had to replace all the 3m etc, how much should I discount for this?
Me as a buyer: Carfax shows a $3000 claim
You: It was just a surface repair, nothing structural
Me: Prove it.

Hope you have the paperwork. Otherwise me as a buyer would be expecting a steep de-valuation.

pf0sh0
02-19-2020, 04:57 PM
Me as a buyer: Carfax shows a $3000 claim
You: It was just a surface repair, nothing structural
Me: Prove it.

Hope you have the paperwork. Otherwise me as a buyer would be expecting a steep de-valuation.

I get where you are coming from, but $3k on a car like that, likely wouldn't be structural damage :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
02-19-2020, 05:02 PM
As a buyer, I wouldn't touch that car without seeing which shop did the repair and the receipts. There is a big difference between say, Maranello or Screamin' doing the work and his buddy who paints out of his backyard on weekends for some extra cash. People selling a car with a defect know they only have to make it look passable long enough for it to become someone else's problem. $3K sounds like a lot for a keying repair, but I don't know how extensive it was. 3M can be expensive if you let the dealer do it.

jwslam
02-19-2020, 05:03 PM
I get where you are coming from, but $3k on a car like that, likely wouldn't be structural damage :dunno:
I know that. But does the NE budget baller 22 year old, side flat brim, 70degree recline left hand on top of steering wheel kid know that?

pf0sh0
02-19-2020, 05:18 PM
I know that. But does the NE budget baller 22 year old, side flat brim, 70degree recline left hand on top of steering wheel kid know that?

good point - but to that point, they might not even ask! haha

rx7boi
02-19-2020, 05:34 PM
I've never tried Autotrader... are you telling me there's no House of Cars shitbags on there preying on desperate sellers?! I guess what im asking is what makes it "decent"?

Oh there's always shitbags everywhere. I had to report several scammy ads for a Honda Accord; not sure if it helped but I report them where I can.

Overall, I found a better experience on Autotrader as a seller and less competition as a buyer. As a seller, prospects seemed to ask more questions that indicated they were serious buyers. As a buyer, I find that ads have more vehicle information.

Whenever I'm selling a vehicle, I post in both places but I think Kijiji gets way more traffic and therefore more bullshit that comes along with it.

As usual, YMMV.