PDA

View Full Version : What would be your must haves/wish list if you could build a custom home?

v8killa
02-21-2020, 01:33 PM
Wondering what some of your must haves would be in a new custom home? I read some older threads from 2011-14 but with technology and trends changing I am curious as to what would be on your wish list.

Some things that come to mind for me:

1. Sink and drain in the garage
2. In ceiling speakers throughout the house
3. Butlers pantry (with a second fridge)
4. Pool table/games area in basement

revelations
02-21-2020, 01:46 PM
- triple pane glass wall facing green space or trees (preferably north facing)
- air conditioning
- triple garage
- enclosed steamshower/sauna combination
- 8ft bathtub
- giant master bedroom with room to stretch for me (I do this nightly before bed)
- CAT7 wires everywhere
- smarthome, light automation
- 220v in garage

Ca_Silvia13
02-21-2020, 01:54 PM
Triple Car Garage with drainage
Dual sink in master en suite
sound proofing between floors
Upgraded windows

88CRX
02-21-2020, 02:05 PM
We concentrated on stuff that we couldn't change or upgrade later.

- Triple garage with drains.
- Wider and taller garage o/h doors.
- Skipped the garage sink but added an extra hose bib.
- Durable main floor finishes (we upgraded to tile that looks like hardwood).
- Added as many windows as possible.
- Made window bigger in multiple rooms.
- Added insulation to some interior walls for soundproofing.
- Payed extra for a larger lot.
- South facing driveway so you dont have to deal with ice buildup all winter.
- Dual ensuite vanity is a must have.
- Oversized ensuite shower.
- Huge kitchen and island.
- Completely open concept main floor.
- Finished basement stair (we'll develop the basement later).

- 9' basement would have been cool but skipped due to cost.
- Vaulted or 9' upper floor ceiling would have also been cool but skipped due to costs.
- With Bluetooth speakers we skipped the in ceiling speaker BS. Seems like a waste of money and a pain in the ass to upgrade later.

ThePenIsMightier
02-21-2020, 02:08 PM
Heated garage floor and heated basement floor.
Custom steam shower.

ExtraSlow
02-21-2020, 02:11 PM
Mature trees on the property.

benyl
02-21-2020, 02:14 PM
Mature trees on the property.

word.

Also, garage HRV / dehumidifier. My F150 rusted like an Ontario car.

ExtraSlow
02-21-2020, 02:25 PM
word.

Ventilation fan will do it. Calgary air is so dry.

killramos
02-21-2020, 02:29 PM
My List:
Completely decked out triple+ garage, if you can buy it for a garage I want it

A wolf stovetop 36”+ and dual wall ovens

Spatial audio run in wall through my “media room” for atmos without cables everywhere

Cat6 runs everywhere

One of those digital Moen shower controllers, press one button to heat shower to exact temp I know I like every time

Top quality windows to avoid heat loss and frosting

Dedicated HVAC for each floor

The rest of the house I couldn’t give 2 shits about

Mitsu3000gt
02-21-2020, 02:33 PM
For me:

- Large, fully finished garage with Epoxy'd floor, heat, 220V, sink and drain
- Soft water hose bib to garage area
- Flat property
- Covered patio(s)
- Dedicated theater in basement
- In wall/in-ceiling speakers throughout home
- Every room soundproofed
- 9-10ft ceilings
- Gigantic shower w/ 2 heads, double en suite sinks
- Proper air purifier on furnace
- Wired Ethernet going to every room (this is unbelievably hard to find on new builds)
- Top notch insulation / triple pane windows w/industrial shutters on basement and bedrooms
- Renewable energy sources if possible
- In floor heating everywhere
- Full sized wine/beer fridge
- No hardwood - tile everywhere that looks like hardwood
- Big trees
- No street parking

Probably lots more I'm missing haha.

Currently I have about half of those things, so i'll have to wait until the next one to get everything I want (and maybe win some money lol).

Ca_Silvia13
02-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Dedicated HVAC for each floor

This is bonkers expensive. I was involved with a house in Chestermere that had more controls and zone dampers then some office buildings

88CRX
02-21-2020, 03:41 PM
word.

I'm sure you've mentioned this before but was your garage heated and did you have floor drains?

Masked Bandit
02-21-2020, 03:48 PM
10 ft. ceilings on the main & second floor (if applicable) and 9 ft. in the basement. I've just got 8 in my house but my parents have 10 and I never noticed it as a kid but fuck I feel like I live in a cave at this point.

Mitsu3000gt
02-21-2020, 04:01 PM
10 ft. ceilings on the main & second floor (if applicable) and 9 ft. in the basement. I've just got 8 in my house but my parents have 10 and I never noticed it as a kid but fuck I feel like I live in a cave at this point.

I went from 8 --> 10 on main and second floors and 7(?) --> 9' in the basement and I agree it makes a huge difference in how open everything feels. You don't really notice until you experience both (like you say) but it makes even the smaller rooms feel very open IMO.

pheoxs
02-21-2020, 04:55 PM
- In floor heating
- Heated attached double garage /w driveway in front for 2 cars
- Sink with the laundry up by the bedrooms
- A den or office that is away from the bedrooms, preferably down a floor or two so I can make noise
- Ethernet wired everywhere
- Smart bulbs/plugs all over to set timers for things
- Smart plugs in all the bathrooms so you can make sure no hair things are left on
- Low maintenance front/back yards
- Gas stove
- Open concept so I can see the TV while cooking as well as guests have seating but can have conversations while prepping dinner
- Fenced back yard, even if tiny, enough for the dog to go outside in winters
- I'd actually rather a townhouse than a house (less maintenance + cheaper utilities long term)
- No fireplaces, fuck them

ThePenIsMightier
02-21-2020, 05:00 PM
I'll add epoxy floor (already mentioned) with parking hoist.
Also miss having a laundry tub/sink (already mentioned). That's also a good thing to have in the garage.

Mitsu3000gt
02-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Forgot about upstairs laundry. I used to have it in the basement, and upstairs is soooooo much better. Some builders now are putting them right in the master bedroom closet.

We have a sink roughed-in in the laundry room but so far haven't had a desire to have a sink there.

benyl
02-21-2020, 05:38 PM
I'm sure you've mentioned this before but was your garage heated and did you have floor drains?

Both infloor and drains. Humidity hits 70% because it is so tight. The heat not only melts the snow that drops of the car, it evaporates the water as it drains.

AndyL
02-21-2020, 06:04 PM
28x40 A frame, west facing. 10' cantilevered eave to cover deck on West end.
PV and solar water heaters on South roof.
10x10 cinderblock basement for furnace/WH only, grade beam & footings for rest of perimeter.
Open family/living room Master up 2bed down.

Corian/cheapest finishes since they get outdated and can be upgraded later.

The_Rural_Juror
02-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Triple car entry tandem garage
Sidewalk and driveway heaters
HVAC zoned on every floor including basement
HEPA filtration
Cats in every room
Steam and Sauna
Backing into river with downtown and mountain views
Swingers
5 minute drive to downtown
5 minute drive to Costco
As prestigious as Aspen

Tik-Tok
02-21-2020, 07:05 PM
Everyone in this thread is saying triple garage. As a triple garage owner, I can attest that it isn't enough. Depending on the property, I'd prefer a double attached, PLUS a double (or triple) detached. One for daily drivers, one for a shop.

Both infloor and drains. Humidity hits 70% because it is so tight. The heat not only melts the snow that drops of the car, it evaporates the water as it drains.

Maybe it was just your truck? I have a heated garage with no drains, and none of my vehicles rust out. Then again, it's definitely not an energy efficient garage, lots of heat/air loss areas.

killramos
02-21-2020, 07:43 PM
I think a triple entry with one tandem bay would do it for me, if you really wanted lots of cars add a lift to the tandem bay.

The_Rural_Juror
02-21-2020, 08:33 PM
I want a triple-triple tandem.

killramos
02-21-2020, 08:44 PM
I want a triple-triple tandem.

Ahhh the warehouse approach. Ballin.

schurchill39
02-21-2020, 09:48 PM
So far I think we'd prefer having a large bungalow with a finished walk out - stairs suck. Office in the basement away from bedrooms and sound proofed between floors. Gas range with a double oven, large island food prep area. Walk in pantry. Large shower in the master and 100% must have a double sink. Main room vaulted ceilings and tons of windows out to the back yard

For me, in my next house my main focus is going to be the back yard. We spend a ton of time back there and we love to cook and entertain. I'd want a large deck off the back with an outdoor kitchen and nat gas heaters for winter/fall. Under the deck I'd like a hot tub and seating for a firepit. Room for a large shed for yard and lawn things and enough room for a nice sized lawn with flower gardens around it. I'd need to have large privacy screens on the deck and a large fence and trees if its in the city. Ideally I would not have anyone behind us because fuck having neighboors.

I told the wife I won't even consider moving unless we get a bigger garage and currently I have an oversized double. So we'd be looking at a tripple car garage with at least one of them being a tandem, or a double attached and double detached. Essentially a place for each DD as well as a bay for toys and a bay for my wood & metal shop. I'd definitely be rocking in floor drainage too.

I would rather not live in the city but thats probably the only way I would be able to afford a custom build. Otherwise my ideal location would be an acrage just outside of town on the SW side surrounded by large mature treas

v8killa
02-23-2020, 11:27 PM
Lots of good ideas!

I like the soundproofing of rooms but I am not sure the cost/effectiveness around it.

I would also add:
-2 hot water tanks
-In floor heating in the master bath
-a ton of dimmable pot lights

suntan
02-24-2020, 12:34 AM
I'm going to install an on-demand water heater when the hot water tank goes kaput. Looks like most of the annoying problems are gone now.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember to get solid core doors if you want soundproofed rooms. Makes a huge difference.

you&me
02-24-2020, 07:43 AM
We've got an eye out for a development lot now and this is a constant discussion I have with my wife ("put it on the list!")... A few items off the top of my head -

Large, oversized garage... Ideally each bay needs to be extra wide and extra deep.
Storage area in the garage... Bikes, skis, etc
Large mudroom with lots of storage, lockers, etc. A friend had a vent built in to each locker to act as a boot dryer...
Exterior man door in the garage or mudroom, etc... Convenient exit for letting dogs out and containing them when they come back in with muddy paws, etc
Large butlers pantry (one builder we've talked to called it a "scullery")... Extra sink, extra fridge, extra dishwasher; basically an area to hide all the mess after a big meal if you don't want to deal with it right away.
Lots of storage - broom closets, linen closets, etc.
Higher ceilings - probably 10'.
Sound proofing between floors
Solid core doors
Dual wall overs with an additional warming drawer
Built in coffee station with water line
Pot filler over the stove
Heavy duty hood fan
Steam oven (I have a feeling we'll go over-the-top in the appliance area)
At least one dual and an additional single sink in the kitchen
Space for a small TV in the kitchen
Separate, dedicated playroom, to (try and) contain all the kids' toys and crap
Dual sinks and make up vanity in the master bathroom
Built in bench and shelf for shampoo etc in the shower
Heated floors in all ensuites (I like the idea of complete radiant heating, but haven't looked into it enough yet)
Proper wine storage room... Doesn't have to be a extravagant cellar, but at least dark and cool. A friend is a wine distributor and his ~2,000 bottle "cellar" is a spare room in the basement with the carpet taken up to expose the concrete floor and black out shades over the window.
Large laundry room w/ dual washers / dryers and sink
Dedicated kids playroom with tons of storage

Things I think we would skip / do without -

Multiple wine fridges... Like, we have one in our bedroom now... Why?
Multiple shower jets... I have yet to find a body jet system / set up that I like.
Honestly, we could probably do without a tub in the master bathroom... Unless we pile the kids into "the big tub" for fun, it gets used maybe once a year. I know, I know... resale...
Fireplace in the master / ensuite... Never used

killramos
02-24-2020, 08:46 AM
^That’s a pretty solid list! Good points all around.

benyl
02-24-2020, 09:56 AM
We've got an eye out for a development lot now and this is a constant discussion I have with my wife ("put it on the list!")... A few items off the top of my head -

Large, oversized garage... Ideally each bay needs to be extra wide and extra deep.
Storage area in the garage... Bikes, skis, etc
Large mudroom with lots of storage, lockers, etc. A friend had a vent built in to each locker to act as a boot dryer...
Exterior man door in the garage or mudroom, etc... Convenient exit for letting dogs out and containing them when they come back in with muddy paws, etc
Large butlers pantry (one builder we've talked to called it a "scullery")... Extra sink, extra fridge, extra dishwasher; basically an area to hide all the mess after a big meal if you don't want to deal with it right away.
Lots of storage - broom closets, linen closets, etc.
Higher ceilings - probably 10'.
Sound proofing between floors
Solid core doors
Dual wall overs with an additional warming drawer
Built in coffee station with water line
Pot filler over the stove
Heavy duty hood fan
Steam oven (I have a feeling we'll go over-the-top in the appliance area)
At least one dual and an additional single sink in the kitchen
Space for a small TV in the kitchen
Separate, dedicated playroom, to (try and) contain all the kids' toys and crap
Dual sinks and make up vanity in the master bathroom
Built in bench and shelf for shampoo etc in the shower
Heated floors in all ensuites (I like the idea of complete radiant heating, but haven't looked into it enough yet)
Proper wine storage room... Doesn't have to be a extravagant cellar, but at least dark and cool. A friend is a wine distributor and his ~2,000 bottle "cellar" is a spare room in the basement with the carpet taken up to expose the concrete floor and black out shades over the window.
Large laundry room w/ dual washers / dryers and sink
Dedicated kids playroom with tons of storage

Things I think we would skip / do without -

Multiple wine fridges... Like, we have one in our bedroom now... Why?
Multiple shower jets... I have yet to find a body jet system / set up that I like.
Honestly, we could probably do without a tub in the master bathroom... Unless we pile the kids into "the big tub" for fun, it gets used maybe once a year. I know, I know... resale...
Fireplace in the master / ensuite... Never used

We've done most on your list in our current house, but I want to build again. haha. make small improvements.
It's been mentioned, but you forgot to put a sink in your garage.
We did the boot dryer under the bench in the mud room. Each locker would be great, but overkill for us.
Custom stainless hood fan is the bomb.

When you find a coffee station with a waterline (that feeds into the machine), let me know. Miele, Wolf, and others still have to be filled by hand.

ExtraSlow
02-24-2020, 10:12 AM
Custom stainless hood fan is the bomb. Yeah, extra high CFM hood fan would be high on my list. My wife burns shit on the regular...

benyl
02-24-2020, 10:18 AM
1200 CFM. haha

you&me
02-24-2020, 10:25 AM
We've done most on your list in our current house, but I want to build again. haha. make small improvements.
We did the boot dryer under the bench in the mud room. Each locker would be great, but overkill for us.

When you find a coffee station with a waterline (that feeds into the machine), let me know. Miele, Wolf, and others still have to be filled by hand.

I'm having a tough time thinking of a practical use for a sink in the garage... best for rinsing muddy boots, etc? I know this is the wrong place to admit it, but I'm not really a "garage guy"...

We definitely need individual lockers for the kids, but you're probably right that individual dryers would be overkill and a single 'boot area' under the lockers would suffice. I did notice in a home we toured recently that they included laundry equipment in the mudroom, as well as a primary laundry room on the second floor - I could see that being useful for snow pants, wet sports great, etc...

The waterline to the coffee machine was something I haven't actually looked into, but it's one of those "surely it must exist" thoughts I've had, as I constantly refill the reservoir. Why hasn't someone done that?!

I see that I listed playroom twice... hahaha

I do also like the idea of heated driveways, walkways and patios...

Since you've been there, done that, any other suggestions?

bjstare
02-24-2020, 10:27 AM

My parents garage is like this. Super tight, in floor heating with drains. My dad used to have an exhaust fan cycling and window cracked all winter to get some moisture out. He put HRVs in the house and garage last year.

JustinL
02-24-2020, 10:28 AM
I think a triple entry with one tandem bay would do it for me, if you really wanted lots of cars add a lift to the tandem bay.

This is my garage and it's pretty glorious. 2 Daily drivers in the double section, 2 race cars and 1 summer car in the tandem section. Zero cars on the driveway.

ExtraSlow
02-24-2020, 10:29 AM
This is my garage and it's pretty glorious. 2 Daily drivers in the double section, 2 race cars and 1 summer car in the tandem section. Zero cars on the driveway.
I approve of your lifestyle.

v8killa
02-24-2020, 10:52 AM
I'm having a tough time thinking of a practical use for a sink in the garage... best for rinsing muddy boots, etc? I know this is the wrong place to admit it, but I'm not really a "garage guy"...

For me it would be to wash my hands and such after working on the cars or doing yard work rather than using the inside bathroom and getting it all dirty every time.

killramos
02-24-2020, 10:56 AM
Sink to pre wash rags after detailing would be great. Having water right there to wet rags also good.

Lots of reasons to have a sink in the garage.

Was walking my dog this AM and what is a real flex, is those heated driveways. Wow.

ExtraSlow
02-24-2020, 10:58 AM
Sink to pre wash rags after detailing would be great. Having water right there to wet rags also good.

Lots of reasons to have a sink in the garage.

Was walking my dog this AM and what is a real flex, is those heated driveways. Wow.

Heated driveways and sidewalks, for sure. Without that, you are just a plebe.

roopi
02-24-2020, 11:01 AM

My wife actually wanted one to bathe the dog instead of bringing a dirty dog in the house.

you&me
02-24-2020, 11:11 AM
Those uses for the garage sink make sense, but just probably not applicable for us... Might be one of those "might as well" things to have on the list.

Another one - channel drain in the shower

A2VR6
02-24-2020, 11:13 AM
Anyone throw in a sink and plumbing (ie. drain etc) for a detached garage? I've seen plenty of garages with these but they are attached. Curious to what the cost is to tie in an deteched garage into the water/sewer system.

killramos
02-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Those uses for the garage sink make sense, but just probably not applicable for us... Might be one of those "might as well" things to have on the list.

Another one - channel drain in the shower

Unless the sink is going to severely retard your personal utility for the garage I would still consider it, it will cost next to nothing to put in if planned from the get go, and is a valuable option for a lot of people. Just for the resale value alone.

I would make sure it’s roughed in at the minimum.

kenny
02-24-2020, 12:04 PM

Our home included a garage sink in the specs, but we changed it to a mop basin/dog wash. I use it all the time and I'm not a big "garage guy". Washing greasy hands, or just dirty hands from landscaping with warm water is much nicer than just cold from a hose bib.

Some other items for new build:
- Kick plate on the kitchen island for central vac (we added it to washrooms too but they aren't used as often)
- low voltage wiring everywhere, you don't need it now but you will eventually and it'll cost 5x as much to wire it up later
- ethernet in ceiling for wifi AP
- if house has multiple furnaces: add couple vents from upstairs furnace to main floor ceiling (use only in summer for AC) so you can skip the AC on main floor furnace.
- conduits for landscape electrical (this can be done later)

flipstah
02-24-2020, 12:11 PM

https://www.franke.com/main/en/cs/products/fully-automatic-coffee-machine.html

You're welcome.

benyl
02-24-2020, 12:13 PM
- if house has multiple furnaces: add couple vents from upstairs furnace to main floor ceiling (use only in summer for AC) so you can skip the AC on main floor furnace.

Did you get this from me from some of the other threads on houses? haha

We have hot hose bibs in the back yard and the garage. I don't know if I would do the backyard again, but the garage is a must.

We also have hose bibs on each of our decks. Easy to spray them off after the winter, or to get rid of construction dirt if you are in a new neighborhood. Make cleaning the BBQ easier too.

I went into a show home in Rock Lake a few weeks ago and it had two sets for Washer and Dryers. Don't know if I will do that.

As our kids are getting older, we will likely build with ensuites for each of the bedrooms. Either that, or the washroom will be segregated with a door on the toilet, the shower / tub and then dual sinks for the kids.

For in floor, don't forget the laundry room if you have tile. We didn't do it, but you would be surprised how shockingly cold it is in there. haha I was talked out of doing in floor throughout the house. Regret it now. Wouldn't have cost that much more for the pipes and the valves.

Next house will have hard wood throughout including bedrooms. Instead of carpet, put rugs in where you need them.

kenny
02-24-2020, 02:35 PM
Did you get this from me from some of the other threads on houses? haha

This one is from you, I was going to credit you but wasn't 100% sure who mentioned it in the past. It's on the list for the next house lol

JRSC00LUDE
02-24-2020, 03:07 PM
I'm a simple guy I guess, I don't want a large house so it's tough to get everything. I built 1750 s.f. 3 bdrm over 2 floors last year, the only "must haves" were tons of kitchen cabinetry and large island for entertaining then an en-suite with a large soaker tub and steam sauna/shower. Simple, clean with some unique but salable design criteria inside. Balcony off the master, 24x24 garage as that's the largest that would fit and this year zero-scape the very limited yard so I never have to do anything.

I did my best to build a condo for a house haha

I developed the basement to be a 2 bdrm suite because I don't need any of the space but designed it so it's completely separate from the main house and completely convertible back to non-suite should I ever have the need for a 5 bdrm and another 800 s.f. of space. Hidden doorways framed, etc. so it can be converted back to a unified single-family in under a week. Figured that would suit potential future changes to my life and, whatever the current real estate market may be should I decide to sell. Not much of a mover though so I doubt I will.

I'm more a fan of 4 more years and the revenue downstairs will cover my entire mtg and I can relax.

msommers
02-24-2020, 03:30 PM
This
Z5azBVuK424

This & That (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/f0/ef/faf0ef07ccc1da3b78a9c80a2de8189e.jpg)

This

This

This

This

This
https://www.abode2.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/fp1-438x438.jpg

....I'll go back to living in my little condo that thankfully has heat...

tonytiger55
02-24-2020, 05:13 PM
If I was to build a custom house. I think one of the key things I would like is to ensure the day to day basics ‘function’.
A example would be the kitchen. I’d like a kitchen that has a good kitchen triangle. Having good access to the fridge, stove(gas), sink and a good space for a prep area without having to march around the kitchen is key.
Good hood fan and structure around it so it can be built properly and fully over the stove. A second overly sized sink with a prep area for washing/prepping vegetables, poultry, meat etc
Good access to the dining table too.

A separate mud room for access to the garden (yard) and I’d like to have a overly sized sink in that spot.
A two car garage is fine, but slightly wider and deeper. Wider so I don’t have to squeeze out of the car. Deeper, so I can a have a bench and work space. Sink and floor drain is also a must.

Underfloor pipes for heated driveway.

I’d like to have a library with a old style bookshelf which opens up with a secret entrance to the kitchen pantry. Hidden access to the garage, and mini stairs to the upstairs bedroom (his) closet.

mr2mike
02-24-2020, 05:17 PM
Did I miss 89Coupe's humble brag yet?

88CRX
02-24-2020, 05:18 PM
I'm going to install an on-demand water heater when the hot water tank goes kaput.

We have on demand and you need to wait FOREVER to get hot water out of a tap. If you get on demand hot water get a re-circ line, which then negates the energy efficiency of an on demand system. I'd much prefer a 2 tank system then the on demand we have.

Lots of good ideas!

I like the soundproofing of rooms but I am not sure the cost/effectiveness around it.

We paid $11/linear foot for batts in the walls. And we kept standard hollow wood doors and it definitely still makes a difference. Solid core door would have helped further, but $$$.

you&me
02-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Did I miss 89Coupe's humble brag yet?

No, not yet

Xtrema
02-25-2020, 10:05 AM
1700-2000 sq ft bungalow with walkout and a triple garage (double with a tandem 3rd spot is fine). 10' + ceiling and more with vaulted ceilings in main rooms.

Because I'm done with stairs now and I don't think I'll like them more in the future.

flipstah
02-25-2020, 10:39 AM
This
Z5azBVuK424

This & That (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/f0/ef/faf0ef07ccc1da3b78a9c80a2de8189e.jpg)

This

This

This

This

This
https://www.abode2.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/fp1-438x438.jpg

....I'll go back to living in my little condo that thankfully has heat...

Your tastes are so mixed haha! Country kitchen with a modern tank, old school library and then a koi pond wat

Are you a boss from Hitman?

suntan
02-25-2020, 11:35 AM
We have on demand and you need to wait FOREVER to get hot water out of a tap. If you get on demand hot water get a re-circ line, which then negates the energy efficiency of an on demand system. I'd much prefer a 2 tank system then the on demand we have. I live with three girls. I'd need a five tank system.

We paid $11/linear foot for batts in the walls. And we kept standard hollow wood doors and it definitely still makes a difference. Solid core door would have helped further, but $$$.Solid core doors aren't expensive at all if you're just going with Masonite.

I know, I know, I'm a pleb.

ExtraSlow
02-25-2020, 12:35 PM
I do pretty well with a single 60 gallon tank. If I was designing the house from scratch I'd prefer 2x40 gal though, for redundancy in case of failure and ease of replacement. No room for two in my utility room though.

Circulation pump would be nice too. But I'm a Pleb.

ExtraSlow
02-25-2020, 01:05 PM
If I lived in the country, a big bungalow with a completely wrap around covered porch.

msommers
02-25-2020, 01:08 PM
Your tastes are so mixed haha! Country kitchen with a modern tank, old school library and then a koi pond wat

Are you a boss from Hitman?

Haha I came to realize that after I hit 'post'!

Kitchen would be #1 on that list

jwslam
02-25-2020, 01:10 PM
I do pretty well with a single 60 gallon tank. If I was designing the house from scratch I'd prefer 2x40 gal though, for redundancy in case of failure and ease of replacement. No room for two in my utility room though.
A friend of mine had a failure in one of their two. That's when we learned they were piped in series...

If I lived in the country, a big bungalow with a completely wrap around covered porch.
But then which side do you sit in your rocking chair with your gun?

nismodrifter
02-25-2020, 01:18 PM
Couple things that we have that I think are an absolute must going forward:
- ensuite for every bedroom
- hide a hose vacuum system
- guest bedroom in basement has its own ensuite (total privacy for guests staying over), separate half bathroom in basement for everyone else to use.
- walk in closet in every bedroom
- big ass recycling/garbage drawer in kitchen
- mega wide garage space: can comfortably open doors and walk around when loading/unloading, this is a game changer IMO.

ExtraSlow
02-25-2020, 01:21 PM
But then which side do you sit in your rocking chair with your gun?dream big. Multiple rocking chairs, multiple guns.

suntan
02-25-2020, 01:42 PM
- mega wide garage space: can comfortably open doors and walk around when loading/unloading, this is a game changer IMO.

Ha, I told my friend to do this when he built, said that was the best customization he did to the house.

Toilet_X
02-25-2020, 01:43 PM
Sodomy pit.

Ca_Silvia13
02-25-2020, 01:50 PM
Sodomy pit.

With hose bib near by too

ExtraSlow
02-25-2020, 01:50 PM
Sodomy pit.

I thought you already had that?