PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Gym Bag Design?

davidI
02-23-2020, 01:20 PM
Not sure if this is the best forum for the post but it targets the right audience.

I'm trying to custom design the perfect gym bag that I'll then hand-craft into veg-tan leather and am looking for design ideas.

I'm thinking either a round or square barrel/duffel bag style with a single shoulder strap (no handles) with perhaps a shoe bag on one end and pocket for lifting straps, chalk, etc. on the other. Maybe a small padded zipper pocket with slots for phone/keys/wallet on the long-side.

Does anyone have other cool design ideas or have a gym bag with other features I should consider?

(Photo below not really the design I'm pcituring but it gives a general idea of the separate shoe slot)

jwslam
02-24-2020, 09:52 AM
The bag I'm using now has a plastic lined wet side
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07P6Z4Q5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish it had an external bottle holder

mrsingh
02-24-2020, 10:00 AM
Another option.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VFCLJFR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Oj.uEb4NJFPPK

flipstah
02-24-2020, 10:12 AM
For the custom route, consider the following:

- Proper ventilation so your stuff won't stink up the bag
- Lining that is not reactive to cleaning agents like Lysol or soap if you ever want to clean the inside
- Maybe an external key loop for gym pass scanning
- Internal velvet pocket for your valuables

davidI
02-25-2020, 01:37 PM
For the custom route, consider the following:

- Proper ventilation so your stuff won't stink up the bag
- Lining that is not reactive to cleaning agents like Lysol or soap if you ever want to clean the inside
- Maybe an external key loop for gym pass scanning
- Internal velvet pocket for your valuables

Good points.

- Leather is not a great material for ventilation but my wet/sweaty stuff and shoes come out of my gym bag as soon as I'm home so I don't think there will be an issue there.
- Good point on the lining. I'll plan for a cloth lining that is removable and can be thrown in the laundry.
- The gym I'm at has waterproof bracelets but it's a good idea for if I ever custom make bags for others (side note but there's a pool/spa at the gym, including sauna, steamroom, plunge pool, 3 temps of hot tubs, and a 'massage area' where there are various water jet chairs, fountains, back massagers, etc. It's pretty sick for basically a community center (not to mention it's only 30 Euros/month for access before 2pm).
- Soft pocket for phone is a must.

XylathaneGTR
02-25-2020, 02:15 PM
Good points.
- Soft pocket for phone is a must.

Maybe a little anal, but for me I don't like one singular pocket to throw my wallet, keys, phone, and glasses/case into - I prefer separate-ish compartments for small things. For example, I don't want my house keys to rub or press onto my wallet and scratch/scuff the leather. My filson bag has separate compartments / dividers for small things within its larger pockets, but my roots bag only has a singular zippered inner compartment. A couple of stitched in dividers within an inner pocket can go a long way here.

suntan
02-25-2020, 02:49 PM
Shoe pocket on one end. Other end for toiletries.
Two compartments inside, one for clean, other for dirty.
At least four interior pockets to hold other junk.
Top zips.
Waterproof base.
Should be longer than taller.

Should be 50-60 litres total size.

lint
02-25-2020, 03:01 PM
https://www.sfbags.com/collections/bags/products/atlas-executive-athletic-holdall-briefcase?variant=380116664336

Cagare
02-25-2020, 03:14 PM
Depending on how much equipment you are carrying such as multiple belts, shoes, straps then a carry on sized luggage is great. I typically have two pairs of shoes, 2 belts, wrist wraps and deadlift straps on top of clothes, shake, towel, etc.

Maybe not perfect, but it fits everything and has the convenience of a carry on roller suitcase.

dirtsniffer
02-25-2020, 03:19 PM
use canvas. leather will be a real pain if you need to squeeze it into a smaller locker. one large compartment. use dedicated bags for things like shoes, laundry, wet gear, toiletries.

-edit-
TIL that some folks take more to the gym than I take on a 4 day trip.

davidI
02-25-2020, 03:22 PM
Maybe a little anal, but for me I don't like one singular pocket to throw my wallet, keys, phone, and glasses/case into - I prefer separate-ish compartments for small things. For example, I don't want my house keys to rub or press onto my wallet and scratch/scuff the leather. My filson bag has separate compartments / dividers for small things within its larger pockets, but my roots bag only has a singular zippered inner compartment. A couple of stitched in dividers within an inner pocket can go a long way here.

Definitely. Keys and phone should never be in the same pocket.

Shoe pocket on one end. Other end for toiletries.
Two compartments inside, one for clean, other for dirty.
At least four interior pockets to hold other junk.
Top zips.
Waterproof base.
Should be longer than taller.

Should be 50-60 litres total size.

Good suggestions but 50-60 litres?!? How much crap do you take to the gym?

I've travelled for 6 months with <40 litres before!

Cagare
02-25-2020, 03:30 PM
-edit-
TIL that some folks take more to the gym than I take on a 4 day trip.

Some powerlifters/strong men at our gym have 3 pairs plus shoes, 3 belts, knee/wrist wraps and smelling salts. I am amazed at how much some people use.

suntan
02-25-2020, 06:55 PM
Definitely. Keys and phone should never be in the same pocket.

Good suggestions but 50-60 litres?!? How much crap do you take to the gym?

I've travelled for 6 months with <40 litres before!
Towel and swimsuit is the issue.

sexualbanana
02-25-2020, 09:07 PM
I always like the idea hidden shoe compartment, but hated how much of the main compartment it takes. Plus a soft hidden shoe compartment usually means nothing sits flat in the main compartment either.

davidI
02-26-2020, 02:09 AM
Now I'm curious what people bring to the gym!?!

For me, I wear running shoes to the gym (and often run to the gym) and have lifting shoes (basically an Adidas version of Chucks) in my bag. Then gym towel, straps, chalk, headphones (though I usually wear those), and bottle of water.
For the pool: boardies, towel, soap, sandals, and swim cap (Spanish pools insist you wear a swim cap).
Depending on weather I either wear my workout clothes to the gym and put the casual change of clothes in the bag or vice-versa.

I've been using a 26L backpack and all that fits without a problem though I'll probably aim for 35-45 litres for the duffle.

flipstah
02-26-2020, 07:22 AM
I just have a backpack with sweatpants, DRIFIT tee, Romaleos 3, runners, and a hoodie.

I do have my climbing gear in a different duffel bag though so I have two in the car at all times.

Cagare
02-26-2020, 09:56 AM
- Training shoes/deadlift/flats
- Lifting Shoes
- Latching style belt (does not fit in bag)
- Traditional Belt
- knee sleeves/wraps
- elbow sleeves
- wrist wraps
- deadlift straps
- headphones
- Change of clothes
- workout shake/mix

Some other ancillary stuff, but that's about it.

bjstare
02-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Reading this thread is a good reminder of how much I dislike going to the gym. Glad I gave it up years ago.

brucebanner
02-28-2020, 12:56 PM
Always wear gym clothes & shoes to gym (days off or in camp so it doesn't matter)
-lever lifting belt
-wrist wraps
-hip circle
-training log book
-basketball shoes if I'm going to play afterwards
-headphones

Wallet and keys stay in bag while at the gym. I keep the bag with me in the gym. Anything bigger and my gym won't let me keep it, would have to be in a locker.

scboss
02-29-2020, 04:47 AM
For me as long as it has a separation for my shoes and a loop for my belt im sold. Although most of these come in duffel form if im using it for other stuff backpack is a must!

jacinda
03-24-2020, 01:02 PM
an interesting question. I too was looking for ithttps://babang.xyz/assets/11/o.png