PDA

View Full Version : Home Inspectors?

cyra1ax
02-26-2020, 09:59 PM
Not sure if this should go here or the real estate category, move if required!

I'm taking possession of a new build in a month, and one of the forms that they sent me was an option to delegate an representative(home inspector) for the pre-possession walkthrough. I like to think that I did pretty good in the other walkthroughs prior, but am I crazy for considering a home inspector? Basically thinking they would be more thorough than I would be(going on roof, in attic, verifying that codes were followed for mechanical, that kinda stuff). Also if anyone has a referral (or ppl to avoid) that would be appreciated!

ExtraSlow
02-26-2020, 10:01 PM
Home inspector is good for documenting shit, but they aren't pulling permits and codes afaik

colsankey
02-26-2020, 10:56 PM
Weve used pillar to post before, cant remember what it cost, but they went through the place and tried all the faucets, furnace, gas fireplace, stove, oven etc.

Then checked electrical panel, roof, windows, etc for potential future issues. I'm basic tools handy, but I dont know jack about home construction, so it was worth the piece of mind.

mr2mike
02-27-2020, 08:38 AM
New build? I think you're wasting your money.
I mean you're wasting your money most times with a home inspector.

What you sign in their forms absolves them from anything. Been disappointed with every inspector I've used. I can show you massive issues (electrical and plumbing) that anyone who can work an oven drawer or follow a drain line could find.
Next time spending my cash on a FLIR cam and a humidity meter and doing it myself with my agent present.

ExtraSlow
02-27-2020, 08:56 AM
Next time spending my cash on a FLIR cam and a humidity meter and doing it myself with my agent present. Yep that works good for anyone who's a home handyman. Spending 3 hours going through the house yourself will tell you a lot.

spike98
02-27-2020, 09:07 AM
New build? I think you're wasting your money.
I mean you're wasting your money most times with a home inspector.

What you sign in their forms absolves them from anything. Been disappointed with every inspector I've used. I can show you massive issues (electrical and plumbing) that anyone who can work an oven drawer or follow a drain line could find.
Next time spending my cash on a FLIR cam and a humidity meter and doing it myself with my agent present.

I more or less agree with this statement. Having my previous home inspected and conducting a home inspection in the new home i learned a few things. I point out a few things that the home inspector missed that were actual things to watch for to the buyers of my old home. Same with my new home, the guy missed a bunch of stuff that i had him add into the report after my own inspection. Also seasonal changes can hide some things that a home inspector wouldn't even see if the conditions are right.

Neither cared about permitting or code compliance. Both used FLIR and neither didn't understood how to use it. Basically you are better off buying a residential FLIR IR gun and doing it all yourself unless you know absolutely nothing about home construction and have no access to youtube.