PDA

View Full Version : PART 9 - Your Career Arc through the Alberta downturn

Pages : [1] 2

ExtraSlow
02-27-2020, 07:26 AM
Part 8 is 18 months old, let's start Part 9. I've simplified the poll responses, and I know they don't cover every possibility. Just choose one and don't complain.

For myself, I was laid off, did some consulting, did some unemployment, did some survival jobs, more unemployment, more consulting, and got back to full time employment in 2019.
I believe that employment in oil and gas is in a secular decline, on top of any price or political issues.

How has it gone for you, and how are things looking in your future and with your network?

gmc72
02-27-2020, 07:37 AM
I was laid off in June of 2016. Went on EI for a few months, but then was called back the following November and have been here ever since. I was switched from salaried to hourly and there have been a few stretches of no work, but mostly a month at the most. I know that I am one of the lucky ones in my field because there are people I know who still aren't working yet.

I agree with you that O&G is slowly declining, and I am looking for opportunities outside of it, but there isn't much in my field (piping designer/AutoCad).

never
02-27-2020, 08:22 AM
Voluntarily left a major EPC firm in the fall and went to a producer. My long term outlook is great because I'm in regulatory and the more of a pain the government makes things, the more job security I have!

Brent.ff
02-27-2020, 08:26 AM
Laid off in 2015 from oil & gas enviro consulting, landed gig a month later.. 5 years later, still here.. worked out pretty well in the end.

also in regulatory, but civil side now... tons of opportunity right now for environmental people with the pipeline construction rolling, but no way i'm going back

V6-BoI
02-27-2020, 08:44 AM
Laid off in 2015, was able to find something within a month. Voluntarily left my last company in 2019 for a different company.

killramos
02-27-2020, 08:46 AM
Staved off a couple rounds of layoffs, played musical chairs jumping into different roles as needed for about a year.

Started school to get another degree, leveraged my enrollment and quit my job 2 months later to try something completely different.

After about a year at that I resigned to focus on school, after a few months off took a part time consulting gig. Turns out there was more than enough work to go around and that part time gig was full time after about 15 minutes.

Finished my degree, converted from a consultant to an employee, including the consulting have been here for a little over 2 years now and really enjoying it.

I’ve been pretty lucky all things considered, didn’t always feel that way though.

spike98
02-27-2020, 08:55 AM
Im a mixture of the first two. The company i was working for got bought up and i made the cut and landed into a new role. Then i left a year and a bit later to take a different job in my home town. It was a great situation because i got the buyout from the sale while still landing a good gig.

pheoxs
02-27-2020, 09:10 AM
I've weathered to storm pretty well. Worked up until fall 2017 and survived many rounds of layoffs then voluntarily decided to quit as I was tired of always living in camps for months on end. Opened up my own online shop and that went really well, did it for 2 years and realized I didn't really like just working alone all the time and kinda missed the social contact of a 9-5. Decided to look for a office job and found in in around a month that was a big step up from what I left in 2017 so pretty happy with things. Doing my 9-5 and then still my side business in the evenings for now. DINK with no spouse lmao.

bjstare
02-27-2020, 09:31 AM
Laid off from an EPC in late 2016; was in a new role in another industry in <4 weeks, and I'm currently still with the same company. Much better work (more engaging and innovative, and most importantly for me - not engineering), largely insulated from O&G/downturn. Higher caliber coworkers, more money, more stress. Overall, the downturn has been pretty good to me.

lasimmon
02-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Was at a company owned by a big American firm, tried to sell in 2017 to no avail. Everyone laid off Dec. 22nd.

Started up private shop with essentially same staff and same customers Jan 1, 2018 and have been extremely busy here ever since.

KPHMPH
02-27-2020, 09:42 AM
I starved for a long time up in Grande Prairie but was always hoping for better times. March of 2019 I decided that this wasn’t for me but was stuck with a huge amount of cash in equipment. Being that I was never going to sell it for anywhere near what I paid in this market I decided to export it to the USA and start a new venture down there.

Finally got everything setup and started work at the start of this month ( February 2020 ) and it’s been decently good so far - really proving myself to these guys and getting my rapport up there resulting in more work.

Swank
02-27-2020, 10:43 AM
Laid off from O&G over 6 years ago and got the same job in post secondary a few months later, now I get to worry about layoffs all over again. Fortunately our department runs pretty lean and I'm the only one doing what I do, but I'm not going to be naive and consider my role invincible.

msommers
02-27-2020, 10:58 AM
Worked in the field for almost 5 years. Thought going back for my MSc would make myself more marketable to an office job for O&G companies downtown, and it has very slightly helped there simply because I could apply for "student" jobs again and get short contracts/make some connections/gain more experience. Additionally, I am more qualified to meet the bare minimum for working internationally but visas, sponsorships etc make it less appealing for employers.

Lots of coffees and lunches since Christmas, fortunately lots of folks with their ears open for me, but between cancelled job postings or strict student criteria, it's completely bare out there.

Considering writing the CFA L1 but more school feels a bit futile given my MSc experience, and the cost is pretty steep. Coding seems all the rage but seems quite buzzy at the moment. What else am I doing I guess, hey?

Applying to work at the City as a landscaper for the summer this morning. C'est la vie.

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2020, 10:59 AM
I feel very fortunate to have survived every downtown and layoff since my career started in the mid 2000s. I have changed jobs a few times voluntarily and been through a name-change/amalgamation or two. I have no delusions about the market though, nobody is safe these days. Good luck to everyone.

SKR
02-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Laid off in spring 2016 when my rigs shut down for breakup. Same company brought me back as a consultant after breakup when my rigs fired up again that summer. Rehired in spring 2017.

I haven't been overworked by any means, but it's been steady enough to keep me around I guess. Nice thing is I've been working from home since the slowdown started in 2015. I used to spend 150-250 nights a year in hotels, but since 2015 it's been maybe 20 nights total.

vengie
02-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Service Company here.

Survived multiple rounds of layoffs, went through multiple pay reductions, continued to grind and progress within the company.

Now the Technical Manager for said company and doing decent.

Tik-Tok
02-27-2020, 01:15 PM
I voluntarily left my 19year career behind. Fuck aviation.

sabad66
02-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Started at a major producer as a new grad in 2011 and made it through multiple rounds of layoffs/reorgs and even got a promotion moving into another role in 2018. Even to this day there always seems to be a group somewhere within the company laying people off so i am thankful i have been able to stick around this long. If i somehow make it to retirement here with a DB pension i would be very fortunate but certainly not counting on that happening.

ercchry
02-27-2020, 02:30 PM
Design to finance, purely voluntary... actually quit before even having a plan. Was just over it. It just so happened to align perfectly with the whole 2015 mess

Have built up some experience, leveraged that into my current role, nothing but sunshine and rainbows ahead, young company. Rapid growth, well appreciated for what I do

ExtraSlow
02-27-2020, 02:34 PM
Have built up some experience, leveraged that into my current role, nothing but sunshine and rainbows ahead, young company. Rapid growth, well appreciated for what I do Vests every day bro.

ercchry
02-27-2020, 02:40 PM
Vests every day bro.

I did my first “tie Tuesday” this week... :rofl:

tonytiger55
02-27-2020, 03:22 PM
I did my first “tie Tuesday” this week... :rofl:

What kind of knot did you do with your tie?

ercchry
02-27-2020, 04:16 PM
What kind of knot did you do with your tie?

Text book GQ... simple “double over” or whatever the name is, pull tight with dimple, adjust tie bar for just the right amount of lift

flipstah
02-27-2020, 04:37 PM
Text book GQ... simple “double over” or whatever the name is, pull tight with dimple, adjust tie bar for just the right amount of lift

Just do four-in-hand jeez!

Got laid off from a producer 2015 and been working elsewhere ever since. It's been great but I did have personal challenges, in the beginning, adjusting the first year.

ercchry
02-27-2020, 04:50 PM
Just do four-in-hand jeez!

That appears to be the knot! :rofl:

Only one I can do without looking up a diagram haha

ExtraSlow
02-27-2020, 05:44 PM
Is four in hand different than double Windsor? I basically won't do ties anymore, not for interviews, weddings or funerals.

duaner
02-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Laid off from EPC in early 2016. Couldn't find work and returned to school in fall of 2017. Will be getting my Behavioural Science degree in 2 months and looking for something in human services (possibly).

spikerS
02-27-2020, 06:43 PM
double Windsor

only tie knot I know...

Marsh
02-27-2020, 07:03 PM
Design to finance, purely voluntary... actually quit before even having a plan. Was just over it. It just so happened to align perfectly with the whole 2015 mess

Have built up some experience, leveraged that into my current role, nothing but sunshine and rainbows ahead, young company. Rapid growth, well appreciated for what I do

What role did you end up in finance?

It's been up and down for me, graduated from grad school in 2015 and took nearly a year to find something. worked there for a couple years and got laid off last fall, been consulting/traveling/chilling but looking to get back into things now.

ercchry
02-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Credit officer... basically assess risk on every loan that we fund, we have bank status but we’re focused on the alternative space so we only do residential mortgages, so mostly spend my time justifying ridiculous types of income and making sure we’re happy with the quality of our securities, odd instructing of lawyers too but that’s mainly when that department is overwhelmed with volume

e31
02-27-2020, 07:23 PM
Vests every day bro.
Wal-Mart greeter?

A790
02-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Launched two companies. Working 80 hours a week. Busy as fuck.

I feel for those impacted by the recession. It makes me wish I could work 90 hours/week. More concerned about Calgary and getting fucked on my RE assets than I am about my income.

80% of what I earn is in USD.

Darell_n
02-27-2020, 08:40 PM
No recession in my industry, busy as ever. The only change is great Journeyman electricians retraining and becoming apprentices with my company.

RawB8figure
02-28-2020, 02:20 PM
Which companies did you launch?

A790
02-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Which companies did you launch?

A digital "agency" serving SMB's and an online content/ecom network.

bjstare
02-28-2020, 03:15 PM
Launched two companies. Working 80 hours a week. Busy as fuck.

I feel for those impacted by the recession. It makes me wish I could work 90 hours/week. More concerned about Calgary and getting fucked on my RE assets than I am about my income.

80% of what I earn is in USD.

Good for you. Earning USD is big.

I concur that Calgary RE is the sketchiest thing right now. I can't see any catalyst to drive it up on the horizon.

A790
02-28-2020, 03:27 PM
Good for you. Earning USD is big.

I concur that Calgary RE is the sketchiest thing right now. I can't see any catalyst to drive it up on the horizon.

Fuck I know. :(

Oh well, I'll pay off the mortgage on one of my properties soonish and then I may wind up keeping it forever. The only reason I'm still here is because of it. Blegh.

jake1er
02-28-2020, 04:10 PM
I've been employed in an O&G sales role the entire downturn. In 2016 I moved laterally to another more technology focused company for a 20% raise. Worked out well and in that time I've moved from territory sales to key account management and have grown my salary by another 40%. It's been an extremely stressful 5 years though. Lot's of doubt and uncertainty but I've been able to remain lucky.

Cagare
02-28-2020, 04:12 PM
Hasn't really changed much for me. Infrastructure engineer before and after. Left Alberta voluntarily at the start of the economic issues, worked in government for 3 years. Moved back to Alberta into a similar job I had before I left, just at a place with a bit more work on the go.

KO22
02-28-2020, 07:25 PM
From start of 2016 to now I managed to land a pretty good job with a big increase in salary (still in O&G) but probably aged like 30 years from stress, being laid off, companies I’m with getting bought, moving provinces and industries etc. Been a god damn whirlwind.

schurchill39
02-29-2020, 06:29 AM
I watched many of my friends get laid off from an O&G service company but managed to survive all of the rounds and even carve out my own senior level role. I didn't like the shift in the culture after some big company changes so I left to join a couple of buddies at a small consulting firm. I took an overall pay cut (I'd like to find whoever said contracting/consulting was lucrative and kick them in the nuts) but I have been learning a ton which is what I really wanted to get out of it. Plus I hopefully it makes me more marketable if any full time salaried roles pop up because the stress of contracting is starting to get to me.

Overall both my wife and myself have thankfully remained employed the whole time but it definitely wasn't without stress and close calls.

trickyone
02-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Moved into construction industry last year (I am in States), don't regret a single day.

finboy
02-29-2020, 02:00 PM
Laid off in q2 2014, found a job at a services company start of 2015, company went under a year later and I went back to wait for business intelligence and data warehousing. During school I landed a telecom PM roll and have been there for the last 3.5 years. In that time, I’ve got my pmp and prosci, but my wage has been mostly stagnant for the last 5+ years. Up side is that life has been steady enough to get a great deal on a house, and all my friends seem to have found their own stability. I’d hate to be in my 20’s in the city right now, not sure there is a solution for that.

My career is solid for the immediate to mid term future (despite our ceo telling the press about 5000 layoffs) but it would be nice to see calgary bounce back a bit. A rising tide raises all ships, and I’m not going anywhere as this is home.

tonytiger55
02-29-2020, 06:03 PM
I studied and started in Banking when I landed in Canada. But moved onto Grocery sector for more breadcrumbs. At this time I started seeing friends in O&G getting laid off.
After two years I got laid off in my role. But I managed to get a role on a different side of the compnay that was entry level admin marketing (gota pay the mortgage and bills yo).
I tried applying for other jobs, but was getting nowhere. Lots of lay offs happening in Calgary.
I looked at going to SAIT to study and get some more skills. Possibly healthcare. But after meeting with a information officer, there was blatant cash grab barriers because I was a immigrant.

I survived two rounds of layoffs then the third round was mass layoffs. I thought my role was safe, but I got laid off due to nepotism. The layoff was not a bad thing, I travelled for two months. I really needed it in this stage of my life.

So I was out of work for 10 months. I had savings but I cut back as you never know.
I went to networking events, and bullshit networking events. So many self employed people as marketing consultants.

I looked at a career in insurance and banking again. I looked at various jobs, applied for entry level roles. But got nowhere. Some of the interview techniques and processes were questionable. It was soo frustrating.
I ended up studying for Life Insurance and a General 1 Insurance Licence, I got a short contract with a establish company. The contract was extended to longer one as I passed my exams first time.
I loved the job and helping my clients. I met some great people. There were also vulnerable people I was able to direct. It was very rewarding helping people do better. I could transfer so many of my skills over, especially from the finance sector.
I was good at what I did, many sub agencies recognised that and tried to hire me.

I decided to leave to a sister company for a more corporate role. Long story short I went through the books and identified a product that was ripping off a good client. I went out of my way to help them and they valued that. It was a massive deal that would help them over the long run and it was good for business. A Win Win. It was stolen from me.
I had the last laugh as senior manager who stole it broke one of the cardinal rules and in doing so they could not close the deal.

I was asked by other agency managers to come work for them. But the above experience left a sour taste in my mouth so I politely declined.
I took a paycut for my new role (not that I made much anyway). But its more stable, especially the market we are in.

So all in all, its been rollercoaster ride so far.

Tonytiger screams in English...

R154
02-29-2020, 08:32 PM
Went from an o&g ancillary role in power gen to hydraulics (voluntary) then back to power gen on the large natural gas/cogeneration side when the right opportunity appeared.

Turns out that projects come and go, but my desk has largely stayed the same. I count myself in the lucky few that can say this.

Alberta is different for sure this time. I went through a small recession prior to this big one. to be honest, this go around has demoralized entire segments of our province, not just specific entities.

All of my fellow brothers and sisters out there, keep your heads up.

Perceptionist
03-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Went from engineering at a junior O&G producer to full time MBA when times got tough and the company closed its doors. Subsequently moved into a finance role at a bank and then recently jumped to a large producer in a corporate role. There's been no shortage of uncertainty through all that but it forced me to make some career changes that have worked out for the best.

vengie
03-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Bumping this back up.

Emergency meetings being held today, things look like they could be getting quite rocky again here soon.

birdman86
03-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Bumping this back up.

Emergency meetings being held today, things look like they could be getting quite rocky again here soon.

Talk now of well count 3600-3800. Down 1000+ from a month ago. Glad I'll be back on the farm in a couple months.

lasimmon
03-09-2020, 10:25 AM
Probably going to ask for cash up front from anyone who isn't a long term customer going forward. Can't be too careful these days.

schurchill39
03-09-2020, 02:21 PM
Talk now of well count 3600-3800. Down 1000+ from a month ago. Glad I'll be back on the farm in a couple months.

Need a rock picker? You okay if I bring my toddler too? I'm not above child labor in this market.

birdman86
03-10-2020, 10:28 AM
Need a rock picker? You okay if I bring my toddler too? I'm not above child labor in this market.

No rock problems but you could come pick wild oats. Will pay with free access to the raspberry bush.

Rat Fink
03-10-2020, 11:30 AM

ExtraSlow
03-10-2020, 11:37 AM
Thank you for your service. We all like to shit on anyone who works for the government, but I have massive respect for first responders.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-10-2020, 03:19 PM
Worked operational O&G IT until 2017. Picked up a project contract for most of 2018, while I applied to LE. Moved back into a short term operational role. Got deferred in early 2019, and moved out of O&G spring 2019 into financial (still IT), where I'm FT.

ShermanEF9
03-10-2020, 09:30 PM
I just got out of construction and landed a support role with law enforcement/government. It is a contract gig, but they have regularly carried those contracts through, and have plans to hire contractors full time.

suntan
03-11-2020, 01:13 PM
In IT for 23 years now. System design, programming, devops, networking, databases, yadda yadda.

killramos
03-11-2020, 01:49 PM
And here I always thought IT was just turning computers on and off again and saying no to bigger monitors.

bjstare
03-11-2020, 02:00 PM
And here I always thought IT was just turning computers on and off again and saying no to bigger monitors.

That's definitely what IT is.

flipstah
03-11-2020, 02:41 PM
That's definitely what IT is.

Someone's OneDrive is going to be corrupt tomorrow.

pheoxs
03-11-2020, 03:23 PM

1) Be an IT person
2) Swich over to the industrial side of things
3) Call it automation
4) Bill twice as much

suntan
03-11-2020, 08:50 PM

Yes but now we can do it remotely.

killramos
03-11-2020, 08:57 PM
Yes but now we can do it remotely.

Technology is amazing

Toms-SC
03-17-2020, 10:41 PM
I have voluntarily changed Countries and took up a similar position to what I had in Calgary. The writing was on the wall with most of my major consulting contracts, so I applied to jobs in the United States and landed one a year into my search. I suppose I'm the example of the dude who went fuck it and bailed on Canada. Now that I've been down here for a couple of years I regret not coming down here sooner. The number of job opportunities, the quality of the positions, and the compensation packages make it a lucrative career move. The ultimate plan is to save enough cash that I'll buy some land on Vancouver Island in 3~ish years and work remotely for a US-based tech company. I check in here from time to time, so feel free to leave some questions if you have any.

TLDR; Use the TN1 Visa to get a foothold in the US, win the H1B lottery, and apply for a Greencard if you intend on sticking around more than six years.

RawB8figure
03-18-2020, 08:04 AM
What kind of work do you do? What part of the US? I have been thinking about making the move down there as well.

arcticcat522
03-18-2020, 08:51 AM
What kind of work do you do? What part of the US? I have been thinking about making the move down there as well.
Toms-SC Also interested for my wife...

rach
03-18-2020, 03:11 PM
15% cut in office
thats quite alot IMO

oster
03-18-2020, 03:18 PM
15% cut in office
thats quite alot IMO

where at? i know Cenovus has started already

vengie
03-18-2020, 03:27 PM
Just officially laid off 40% of my team... Fucking hell. :guns::facepalm:

rach
03-18-2020, 03:29 PM

small private consulting company..
field crews kept same rates , office guys all got 15 cut
not sure why

NoSup4U
03-18-2020, 03:30 PM
Just officially laid off 40% of my team... Fucking hell.

What does that equate to number wise, and what industry?

If you don't mind me asking of course (feel free to decline)

ExtraSlow
03-18-2020, 07:33 PM
Had a chat with someone who manages one of the larger hotels near the airport. Current occupancy 2%. They don't think anyone else is much better. Currently laying off ALL housekeeping staff and will have one manager clean the one or two rooms a day required.

Disoblige
03-18-2020, 08:07 PM
Cenovus cut salary or layoffs?

ThePenIsMightier
03-18-2020, 08:11 PM
To me, the only thing that makes Cenovus tempting is that they might get bought. Not going to jump in with both feet on that, but it's still a little itchy to dump $80k into...

ExtraSlow
03-18-2020, 08:16 PM
CVE is a highly leveraged play. OVV or SU or CNQ all are stronger companies.

nzwasp
03-18-2020, 08:51 PM
So as it seems obvious that they are going under I wonder if people are just dumping all their stock

Toms-SC
03-19-2020, 12:33 PM
Toms-SC Also interested for my wife...

I work in IT and specialize in Security. There are 60 professions that qualify for the TN status so take a look to see if you'd qualify.

I hate the snow and cold, so I targeted jobs in States that didn't have either of those things, ended up in California.

Disoblige
03-19-2020, 12:34 PM
In times like this, I would ask to not spread rumors unless you think it is ultra reliable. Already lots of stress going around and no one needs to be further stressed from fake news from clowns like CaptainCrunch on Calgarypuck saying crap with no substance on oil company layoffs.

suntan
03-19-2020, 12:38 PM
In times like this, I would ask to not spread rumors unless you think it is ultra reliable. Already lots of stress going around and no one needs to be further stressed from fake news from clowns like CaptainCrunch on Calgarypuck saying crap with no substance on oil company layoffs.

There are no legitimate sources of info on CP.

sabad66
03-19-2020, 12:43 PM

which unsubstantiated rumours have been posted here?

nzwasp
03-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Probably the one from oster about cenovus laying off staff already - yet nothing to back that up, my cenovus contact hasnt heard anything at all.

Disoblige
03-19-2020, 12:46 PM
which unsubstantiated rumours have been posted here?
Didn't say there was any here. I am just saying in general.
On a related note though, if someone is vague and can't explain too much (perhaps using that Cenovus one as an example), then probably best to not say anything.

oster
03-19-2020, 12:58 PM
Fair enough. not trying to spread any misinformation.

ExtraSlow
03-19-2020, 01:00 PM
I heard we will all get a pony.

never
03-19-2020, 01:03 PM

I heard it was miniature donkeys.

ExtraSlow
03-19-2020, 01:10 PM
I heard it was miniature donkeys.
I'd vote for that!

ercchry
03-19-2020, 01:28 PM

I heard those make everything better!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/7a/96/0b7a9668c3b55dab1d87f1aff8e3fb58.jpg

Swank
03-19-2020, 01:59 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImaginaryEminentCero-size_restricted.gif

nzwasp
03-19-2020, 03:05 PM
Well shit I just got my pay cut by 3.5% which was the raise I received a month ago. Whole company had their pay rise given to them and then taken away 2 weeks later.
And now they are talking furloughs are a possibility for all non billable employees, or if you have no billable work also furloughed, company wide too (we have 150,000) employees

SkiBum5.0
03-19-2020, 06:18 PM
Halliburton? Furlough is very hard in Canada. Good luck to you either way.

nzwasp
03-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Nope. The other big H

Disoblige
03-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Nope. The other big H
Henoywall.

ExtraSlow
03-19-2020, 08:52 PM
Sorta relevant? To one of these threads anyway.
Canada isn't going to loose even a proportional amount, since Alberta energy industry has been depressed for years. Still, could be an additional 10,000 people out of work.

killramos
03-19-2020, 09:04 PM
Sorta relevant? To one of these threads anyway.
Canada isn't going to loose even a proportional amount, since Alberta energy industry has been depressed for years. Still, could be an additional 10,000 people out of work.

Still less valuable than 1 Bombardier employee.

Tik-Tok
03-19-2020, 09:29 PM
Still less valuable than 1 Bombardier employee.

And it's Alberta's own fault for voting conservative time and time again.

USED1
03-19-2020, 09:54 PM
Probably the one from oster about cenovus laying off staff already - yet nothing to back that up, my cenovus contact hasnt heard anything at all.

You mean your wife

nzwasp
03-24-2020, 02:20 PM
well my company is now instituting an across the board 2 week unpaid holiday for all 150K employees worldwide, next month and may, however the email is unclear whether its 4 weeks total or 2 weeks total. Also what is unclear is that for example for myself I am 100% billable to active projects right now so I dont know if that just means I pause for 1 or 2 weeks or if they expect me to just work for free for 2 weeks.

Cagare
03-24-2020, 02:25 PM
well my company is now instituting an across the board 2 week unpaid holiday for all 150K employees worldwide, next month and may, however the email is unclear whether its 4 weeks total or 2 weeks total. Also what is unclear is that for example for myself I am 100% billable to active projects right now so I dont know if that just means I pause for 1 or 2 weeks or if they expect me to just work for free for 2 weeks.

Full pause.

ExtraSlow
03-25-2020, 03:34 PM
Well, two of my buddies were laid off today. one at an EPC company and one who works oil and gas sales. I have some risk of the same fate too.

SKR
03-25-2020, 04:53 PM
We got an email last night saying that pay cuts are coming, there's some kind of a work sharing thing that's a week of work and a week of EI or something, and layoffs coming. Our division is for sale, and our division only deals with drilling rigs, so maybe they'll just give us all the boot and that'll be the end of that.

I'm not real optimistic on finding work right now to keep paying my mortgage, whether it's the economy or the plague, and I'm not sure about selling the house right now either. Maybe I'll just give the keys to the bank and tell them thanks, and see you later.

ExtraSlow
03-25-2020, 05:37 PM
Hey I got informed pay cuts are coming. I literally only had 1 paycheque of full pay since the last round of cuts at the "other" subsidiary were ended.
1 in a row baby.