PDA

View Full Version : Planet Organic bites the dust.

KrisYYC
03-05-2020, 07:49 PM
https://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/we-are-at-an-end-planet-organic-officially-shuts-down-five-calgary-stores-to-close

To be honest I'm not surprised. Organic food is widely available at regular grocery stores and no longer a niche product. The location closest to me has a No Frills literally right next to it. Talk about opposite ends of the price spectrum haha.

ExtraSlow
03-05-2020, 08:01 PM
I can't name a single location of that store. Must not interesct with my low-class lyfestyle

ThePenIsMightier
03-05-2020, 08:32 PM
I went into one once and I had a great time. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard inside a grocery store in my life.
Without even trying, I found a fancy jar of salsa. It was definitely a touch bigger than your standard Tostitos brand, but not double the size. Let's call it 50% bigger.

It was nineteen dollars. Not nineteen lira. Not nine dollars. Not nine TeenWolf licensed merchandise dollars.
It was actually a $19 jar of salsa.
Oh, man - I laughed and laughed so fuckin hard and then I started noticing the clientele and the stench of patchouli and the white dreadlocks and it was WAY too much for me. I started pointing at things and laughing!

God that was a hilarious time! I'll miss it.

KrisYYC
03-05-2020, 08:44 PM
I went into one once and I had a great time. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard inside a grocery store in my life.
Without even trying, I found a fancy jar of salsa. It was definitely a touch bigger than your standard Tostitos brand, but not double the size. Let's call it 50% bigger.

It was nineteen dollars. Not nineteen lira. Not nine dollars. Not nine TeenWolf licensed merchandise dollars.
It was actually a $19 jar of salsa.
Oh, man - I laughed and laughed so fuckin hard and then I started noticing the clientele and the stench of patchouli and the white dreadlocks and it was WAY too much for me. I started pointing at things and laughing!

God that was a hilarious time! I'll miss it.

Oh I know. Or $12 for a frozen pizza the size of a tea cup saucer. The vibe in that place made me feel like I was getting bitch tits and diarrhea. I only went once.

Xtrema
03-05-2020, 09:01 PM
who is supplying them for the last 3 months? They had tons of unpaid suppliers since last fall and most stopped supplying them.

firebane
03-06-2020, 08:36 AM
I knew someone going there for deodorant and it comes in this super tiny tub and costs $10 and they were like "it only costs me $10 for it a month" and I said it costs me $5 for mine for 6 months.

bjstare
03-06-2020, 08:45 AM
I knew someone going there for deodorant and it comes in this super tiny tub and costs $10 and they were like "it only costs me $10 for it a month" and I said it costs me $5 for mine for 6 months.

Yeah, deodorant can last a long time if you only use it once a week.

ExtraSlow
03-06-2020, 09:01 AM
Yeah, deodorant can last a long time if you only use it once a week.

Mine lasts forever, subscribe for more life hacks.

mr2mike
03-06-2020, 09:45 AM
Mine lasts forever, subscribe for more life hacks.

Wear a sweater vest to contain BO and allow ventilation while walking?

dj_rice
03-06-2020, 09:57 AM
who is supplying them for the last 3 months? They had tons of unpaid suppliers since last fall and most stopped supplying them.

Very shitty for local suppliers who will now never get paid. Hopefully the staff will get paid all their wages at least but seen this coming long ago.

tonytiger55
03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
To be honest I'm actually surprised they lasted this long.
I bought milk from there. One of the products was actually really good. But a lot of the stuff was over priced and I wondered how they made any money?

Swank
03-06-2020, 10:17 AM
The word 'organic' is just grocery talk for 'overpriced'.

bjstare
03-07-2020, 08:56 AM
Very shitty for local suppliers who will now never get paid.

Zero sympathy from me. If they make poor business decisions (e.g. continue sending product to someone who repeatedly isn't paying you), they have a tough lesson to learn.

Misterman
03-07-2020, 10:33 AM

This is why their shelves have been bare for so long. They just kept trying to sell whatever they could before they officially closed the doors, and left any suppliers they owed money to in the dust. This whole thing is way old news now.

The word 'organic' is just grocery talk for 'overpriced'.

Their business model, despite their name, really wasn't about anything Organic. It was about selling vegan garbage to millennial phaggots who think veganism/brain damage is "hip"

ExtraSlow
03-07-2020, 10:36 AM
Lots of companies leaving suppliers unpaid. It's sad, but standard procedure.

Darell_n
03-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Safeway/Sobeys was on a credit freeze recently from one of their major suppliers. Lots of shady outfits not paying their bills in the grocery industry.

Disoblige
03-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Just sounds like a poorly managed company who isn't adapting to the times and have no long term vision. Good riddance and hope not too many people got screwed by this POS company.

On side note, article says exec rep was telling them their jobs were safe and then a week or so later this comes out lol. <golf clap>

flipstah
03-07-2020, 12:08 PM
There's one that just opened in Britannia across from Sunterra. Guess it's not happening haha.

msommers
03-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Food there was always quite niche and therefore very expensive, so I get it. I have to wonder how much longer Community Foods can hold on for. That said, I remember it being very busy in there. Planet Organic on the other hand was a huge store that was never busy.

suntan
03-07-2020, 12:57 PM
Food there was always quite niche and therefore very expensive, so I get it. I have to wonder how much longer Community Foods can hold on for. That said, I remember it being very busy in there. Planet Organic on the other hand was a huge store that was never busy.
CNF is owned by Calgary Co-op now.

msommers
03-07-2020, 01:27 PM
Oh interesting. Cheers!

eblend
03-08-2020, 08:04 PM
The writing for these types of places was on the wall like 5 years ago...when oil cratered and people could no longer afford to pay $5 for a pound of apple, or $8 for a pound of tomatos. Was in one of these (or whatever it is where old Kmart was on Southland/Elbow). The prices are insane. The only reason I was in there was because my wife wanted to find some essential oils, so after spending $20 for a ml or whatever, we just started ordering on Amazon instead.

Mitsu3000gt
03-09-2020, 09:52 AM
Surprised it took them this long to be honest. I've been in there a few times and each time it was dead other than a few people with man buns probably named Jasper picking through some ultra-niche vegan food choices. They also offered a variety of the exact same items you can buy at a normal grocery store but 50% more expensive. I guess the people looking to spend $12.00 on 50g of mixed nuts will have to look elsewhere now haha.

Xtrema
03-09-2020, 11:34 AM
I guess the people looking to spend $12.00 on 50g of mixed nuts will have to look elsewhere now haha.

I think Sunterra still got them covered and Whole Foods consider Albertans too ghetto to afford their products to expand here.

dj_rice
03-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Whole Foods consider Albertans too ghetto to afford their products to expand here.

They started renovating an old Canadian Tire location here in Edmonton, then they abandoned the project and H-Mart ended up moving in