PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus Workplace thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

holden
03-11-2020, 08:21 PM
I assume many places will be instituting work from home policies soon. Anybody preemptively working from home right now due to the virus?

ExtraSlow
03-11-2020, 08:23 PM
Mods please move this thread to the Coronavirus sub-forum.

dj_rice
03-12-2020, 08:00 AM
I work at a dealership. Work from home will never happen in this trade. Hell, even when your sick or break your leg, they be asking if your coming in the next day or not....and theres been no mention of any new cleaniless policies regarding Covid19.

nzwasp
03-12-2020, 08:02 AM
I work at a dealership. Work from home will never happen in this trade. Hell, even when your sick or break your leg, they be asking if your coming in the next day or not....and theres been no mention of any new cleaniless policies regarding Covid19.

Have you atleast noticed less people buying, I guess right now is probably a big demand as everyone just got there big oil bonuses.

dj_rice
03-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Have you atleast noticed less people buying, I guess right now is probably a big demand as everyone just got there big oil bonuses.

I'm in Fixed Ops. So on that side, I do see less appointments and people servicing their cars than usual. But that could be also due to economy, people are broke after Christmas, vacation season. Jan/Feb are always our slowest months. Should start ramping up soon when people bring out their AMGs...

bjstare
03-12-2020, 08:28 AM
I'm working in the Suncor building, it's pretty much all everyone's been talking about today.

My company told us we can all wfh if we want to... not too many people are so far, but I expect that to change. Nothing mandated yet.

Disoblige
03-12-2020, 08:29 AM
I like the idea of a company getting employees to work from home for a day just to make sure they can get everything running properly at home if needed.

jwslam
03-12-2020, 08:38 AM
I'm working in the Suncor building, it's pretty much all everyone's been talking about today.

My company told us we can all wfh if we want to... not too many people are so far, but I expect that to change. Nothing mandated yet.
I saw this came from the daycare in Suncor

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2020, 08:38 AM
My workplace be like.

- - - Updated - - -

Mods please move this thread to the Coronavirus sub-forum.

Mods please create a Coronavirus sub-forum or declare this man to be senile.

pheoxs
03-12-2020, 08:46 AM

Also in the suncor building. Haven't really heard much besides they sent a a hundred people or so home to work from there (presumably any parents of kids in the daycare).

Still waiting to hear more.

ExtraSlow
03-12-2020, 08:49 AM
Mods please create a Coronavirus sub-forum or declare this man to be senile. Hey, maybe BOTH!!!

pf0sh0
03-12-2020, 08:51 AM
I am on the west end of DT, just today one of our VP's went around ensuring we all have our VPN access set up properly in case we decide to work from home

killramos
03-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Hey, maybe BOTH!!!

ES I can’t believe you booked me for a coffee right by that death trap of a building

Haha

We actually got banned from going to either Eau Claire or the Suncor building. No non essential travel. And we have a town hall this morning on some topic. Wondering if we get permission to largely work from home which would be awesome.

lasimmon
03-12-2020, 09:13 AM
ES I can’t believe you booked me for a coffee right by that death trap of a building

Haha

We actually got banned from going to either Eau Claire or the Suncor building. No non essential travel. And we have a town hall this morning on some topic. Wondering if we get permission to largely work from home which would be awesome.

Sounds like you have some real solid leadership over there.

killramos
03-12-2020, 09:17 AM
Honestly with all the hysteria around this flu my sarcasm detector is broken.

I can’t tell what is an over or under response anymore.

bjstare
03-12-2020, 09:18 AM
And we have a town hall this morning on some topic.

Does anyone see the irony in holding a townhall right now? Could it not be an email?? haha

Some guy that sits next to me just spent 3 weeks in India (and I'm not sure where between here and there) and is back in the office on his first day back. This is why this shit is spreading so fast.

RedDawn
03-12-2020, 09:24 AM

Haha

I know Suncor had the infected day care but why Eau Claire?

sabad66
03-12-2020, 09:25 AM

Haha

why eau claire? i came into the office today specifically so i could get some jackie's and buy some hot sauce from the caribbean store so now i'm worried lol. did i miss something?

tonytiger55
03-12-2020, 09:26 AM
A lot of people work from home anyways(where I work/Insurance). We have to take our laptops home daily so if a event occurs, we can still function.
There are contingency plans, but in a nutshell.... Don't come in and log in from home.

killramos
03-12-2020, 09:26 AM
Does anyone see the irony in holding a townhall right now? Could it not be an email?? haha

Some guy that sits next to me just spent 3 weeks in India (and I'm not sure where between here and there) and is back in the office on his first day back. This is why this shit is spreading so fast.

We are a pretty small shop lol, our town hall is likely fewer people than the average big co water cooler line. We are welcome to call in if we desire.

Dunno apparently there was a report of an infection at Eau Claire, which happens to be quite close to us. I just know what I’m told.

NoSup4U
03-12-2020, 09:31 AM
Love working from home, but i'm wondering if the masses getting sent home could be a double edged sword. Companies realize it works, and decided they no longer need the expense of office space, emptying DT even further :thumbsdow

Xtrema
03-12-2020, 09:35 AM
We are speeding up VPN deployments and expanding bandwidth as needed.

Rule are set up on when to punt someone from office to work from home but 1 employee already got sent home on a 3rd degree connection (friend of friend's family member confirmed).

Buster
03-12-2020, 09:40 AM
We are speeding up VPN deployments and expanding bandwidth as needed.

Rule are set up on when to punt someone from office to work from home but 1 employee already got sent home on a 3rd degree connection (friend of friend's family member confirmed).

this sounds like a good direction.

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2020, 09:42 AM
ES I can’t believe you booked me

How much are your rates? I hear you are handsome. Is this your agent?

JordanEG6
03-12-2020, 09:43 AM
No preemptive policies that I know of. Someone left for Vietnam yesterday for vacation. I don't want to be in the office when he gets back.

jwslam
03-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Typical CNRL

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/canadian-north-coronavirus-fort-mcmurray-1.5494007

Coronavirus link sends 130 oilsands workers back to Edmonton after 3-hour impasse

In the video, the crew member apologizes for the wait before saying, "Supposedly, somebody was indirectly in contact with a presumptive coronavirus patient."

"The crew member was made aware of the person's positive test result only after they had operated a flight for one of our Alberta charter clients."
The crew member also says he was told the risk to those on board was low, but Alberta Health, CNRL and Canadian North management were discussing what to do.
"They didn't want me to tell anybody anything and finally I said, 'Someone's got to know something.' So this is me trying to put you at ease," the crew member says on the video "There's no … very low risk."

Officials had been informed that a crew member reported being in close contact with someone who had later tested positive for coronavirus, Valin said.

The passenger said when the plane returned to Edmonton, "Nobody from Alberta Health met our plane and little information was shared about self-quarantine, etc."

The passenger said the entire event seemed "cavalier and nonsensical" because all of the "potentially-infected workers" were sent to the work site the next day.

Proyecto2000
03-12-2020, 09:48 AM
my workplace said that working form home is now an option if you would like to take it. Boss figures that in the next week or two confirmed cases will skyrocket and that the entire company (12 people) will be working from home so we are now setting up laptops for this event.

No clue how this effects our field staff or our Nisku shop but thank goodness for breakup and rigs shutting down I guess

killramos
03-12-2020, 09:51 AM
Love working from home, but i'm wondering if the masses getting sent home could be a double edged sword. Companies realize it works, and decided they no longer need the expense of office space, emptying DT even further :thumbsdow

I don’t see the downside here. Downtown is incredibly overrated

- - - Updated - - -

How much are your rates? I hear you are handsome. Is this your agent?

More than you can afford pal, I require at least a 20oz coffee for my time. And lots of cream.w

vengie
03-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Our DT crew all working from home for the rest of the week.
Our office is in BVS

roopi
03-12-2020, 09:55 AM
I don’t see the downside here. Downtown is incredibly overrated

You don't see a downside to increased vacancy in downtown Calgary? :rofl:

pheoxs
03-12-2020, 10:10 AM
I know Suncor had the infected day care but why Eau Claire?

Not sure if someone already answered but an employee at the garage in Eau Claire tested positive.

https://i.redd.it/gw6qfav2j9m41.png

Xtrema
03-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Heard rumor that Enmax has a no wage on isolation policy, anyone can confirm?

suntan
03-12-2020, 10:11 AM

Wouldn't worry about that, overall productivity goes down quite a bit when people start working from home.

beyond_ban
03-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Our office is having a conference call today to decide whether we work from home or no, and I reckon today or tomorrow will be my last day in the office for a week or two.

ExtraSlow
03-12-2020, 10:22 AM
I can’t tell what is an over or under response anymore. This is my current status as well. I have now way to judge what is a reasonable attitude. So I'm just freaking out internally.

My company just sent out a note that basically said "business as usual, wash your hands." I cannot tell if that's reasonable or not.

Cagare
03-12-2020, 10:32 AM
So an employee of a restaurant in Eau Claire has it, was working March 3-7. Unconfirmed reporter tweet.

https://twitter.com/SammyHudes/status/1238133441746669568

killramos
03-12-2020, 10:50 AM
You don't see a downside to increased vacancy in downtown Calgary? :rofl:

It’s not vacancy if people are still paying rent

We have switched to a rotating 50% of people work from home to decrease density downtown.

Essentially maintain a rotating skeleton screw in the office, also acts as a stress test for our IT infra in case we move to 0% in the office.

tirebob
03-12-2020, 10:55 AM
This shit is going to kill a lot of small businesses... How the fuck is a tire store supposed to operate from home? I still haven't figured it out.

AndyL
03-12-2020, 10:58 AM
This shit is going to kill a lot of small businesses... How the fuck is a tire store supposed to operate from home? I still haven't figured it out.

:rofl: just send the tire machines home with them and the customers there :rofl: then downsize the shop :)

I've seen some interesting memos from service industry friends. There's some craziness going around. I blame legalized pot :)

flipstah
03-12-2020, 11:05 AM

Mobile Tire Shop. Let's figure that out!

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2020, 11:08 AM

Wasn't your masterplan to let the virus kill all the weak? That would inherently reduce your customer base.

tirebob
03-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Mobile Tire Shop. Let's figure that out!

There is a reason the vast majority of those fail miserably... In well over 30 years in this business I have seen them come and go constantly over the decades. Too much investment for too little work that doesn't pay enough, and especially in this case, too short term of an escalated need to be realistic.

suntan
03-12-2020, 11:11 AM
It’s not vacancy if people are still paying rent

We have switched to a rotating 50% of people work from home to decrease density downtown.

Essentially maintain a rotating skeleton screw in the office, also acts as a stress test for our IT infra in case we move to 0% in the office.

But if nobody is at work downtown, then the best place for me to be is downtown.

4D thinking motherfuckers.

HiSpec
03-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Same here as well. From what I gathered around the dealership we are seeing significantly less appointments compare to March from previous years.

I'm in Fixed Ops. So on that side, I do see less appointments and people servicing their cars than usual. But that could be also due to economy, people are broke after Christmas, vacation season. Jan/Feb are always our slowest months. Should start ramping up soon when people bring out their AMGs...

tirebob
03-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Wasn't your masterplan to let the virus kill all the weak? That would inherently reduce your customer base.

Nahh... The people that would mostly die are not customers of mine. They are the ones who just take up needed hospital beds in the short term trying to drag out a little more time.

Please note... It isn't my plan. It is natures plan. I just recognize the result. It doesn't mean it is pleasant. Just reality.

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Nahh... The people that would mostly die are not customers of mine. They are the ones who just take up needed hospital beds in the short term trying to drag out a little more time.

Please note... It isn't my plan. It is natures plan. I just recognize the result. It doesn't mean it is pleasant. Just reality.

Ok Tire-nos. (snaps finger)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-12-2020, 11:23 AM

Yep slightly concerned about being out of work or not being able to work as I’m self employed.

vengie
03-12-2020, 11:29 AM

Yes, I am a little nervous as my wife and I own a small gym/ yoga studio.

R-Audi
03-12-2020, 11:32 AM
I am in Bow Valley and have an office in Suncor..

Apparently 98 kids in the Suncor daycare.. so have to think at least 98 adults being exposed in Suncor... times however many people they come in contact with. Even just seeing how many kids push the buttons in the elevator in the morning and afternoon.
Heard a rumor that at least 200 people were sent home and the building may be closed later today... this is getting ugly.

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Nahh... The people that would mostly die are not customers of mine.

FACT: Weak people drive cars. Strong ones just run everywhere.

tirebob
03-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Ok Tire-nos. (snaps finger)

I think you might be taking me far more seriously than you should be. I often just say shit to see what happens. Not that there isn't a degree of truth to it, but I see what is happening around me and don't have my head buried in the sand about anything.

bjstare
03-12-2020, 11:39 AM
I am in Bow Valley and have an office in Suncor..

Apparently 98 kids in the Suncor daycare.. so have to think at least 98 adults being exposed in Suncor... times however many people they come in contact with. Even just seeing how many kids push the buttons in the elevator in the morning and afternoon.
Heard a rumor that at least 200 people were sent home and the building may be closed later today... this is getting ugly.

I've heard the same. I'm hoping they do close the building/send everyone home. Not great timing work-wise though. Working remotely is normal procedure for my company, but it's less efficient for Suncor folks (who I work with).

R-Audi
03-12-2020, 11:47 AM
I've heard the same. I'm hoping they do close the building/send everyone home. Not great timing work-wise though. Working remotely is normal procedure for my company, but it's less efficient for Suncor folks (who I work with).

I run a Business Centre on the top 2 floors and most of our clients have gone home already...Our Bow valley location is nearly empty as well.

mr2mike
03-12-2020, 12:19 PM
I literally don't have a computer at home new enough to install Citrix.
2006 iMac.
Can't afford anything now that investments have all but disappeared.

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2020, 12:22 PM
"Abundance of caution" translates to "Keep coming into work until one of you catches something on the filthy public transit, then we will ask a few of you to self isolate even though we recognize that you all touch the same coffee machine, door knobs, and defecate in the same sinks because the government says that we are very low risk".

Darell_n
03-12-2020, 12:33 PM
I want a 14 pack of Corona for self isolation that includes an ‘I survived 14 days of Conona.’ t-shirt.

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2020, 12:34 PM
I want a 14 pack of Corona for self isolation that includes an ‘I survived 14 days of Conona.’ t-shirt.

Hold on to that shirt. Some emerging data may imply longer than 14 days of quarantine.

killramos
03-12-2020, 12:50 PM
Suncor building evacuated is what I have heard.

ExtraSlow
03-12-2020, 12:56 PM
2006 iMac.
Can't afford anything now that investments have all but disappeared. Know what's better than working from home? Not working from home. You win baby.

eglove
03-12-2020, 12:56 PM
2006 iMac.
Can't afford anything now that investments have all but disappeared.

I got a 2010 imac for cheap ;)

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/411448-FS-Mid-2010-iMac-(8gb-ram-500gb-HDD-3-06ghz-i3-Radeon-4670)?p=4852996#post4852996

R-Audi
03-12-2020, 12:59 PM

Not that I am aware of....My Staff are still there and havent been told otherwise. Possible Suncor the company?

bjstare
03-12-2020, 01:00 PM

Nope. Not yet, anyways.

killramos
03-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Cool, heard that in the hallway.

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2020, 01:16 PM

Sorry. That was me. I wanted to see which one of you are on beyond.

bjstare
03-12-2020, 01:17 PM

Might as well have been though, this place is a ghost town. Nice to be able to actually get some work done when I'm not in meetings :rofl:

benyl
03-12-2020, 01:20 PM
Know what's better than working from home? Not working from home. You win baby.

Not if you aren't getting paid.

austic
03-12-2020, 01:24 PM
we have a meeting at 2:30 (online meeting) to plan for everyone to work from home (Small Accounting Company).

pf0sh0
03-12-2020, 01:26 PM
I wonder if Omi had a line up today

pheoxs
03-12-2020, 01:27 PM

Nope, our program lead just told us we're still working from the office and business as usual. People aren't being told to work from home.

I also don't have much faith in our leadership at the moment.

bigbadboss101
03-12-2020, 01:29 PM

That place is crazy after 11:15.

killramos
03-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Sorry. That was me. I wanted to see which one of you are on beyond.

I never knew you had tits like that. I’ll never see your avatar the same way.

ExtraSlow
03-12-2020, 01:41 PM

Had a buddy text me that the line was short, but not zero. No idea what time he went. Holy grill BVS was busy, barely got a table at 11:45.

killramos
03-12-2020, 02:05 PM
Ceilis was packed

beyond_ban
03-12-2020, 02:05 PM

I walked past at 11:30 and there was a pretty standard line for that time.

blownz
03-12-2020, 02:14 PM
I am curious as to who's company is paying for self isolation?

We have a number of employees currently on vacation, or about to go (although many of these are reconsidering) and we are considering making them stay home for a week to see if they end up with any symptoms. We have a policy of only 5 paid sick days and are struggling with how generous we want to be with extra days. Plus our hourly field guys don't get any paid days normally.

We have the same problem as many places were some people may be able to work from home, but not all. So far we have just cut down on meetings in boardrooms and in person and posted proper hand washing and sneeze and cough etiquette signs basically everywhere. lol

We also have the cleaners spending additional time every day to sanitize surfaces. Not sure how much of a difference that will make, but it worked to calm down some of the more panicked staff.

I would appreciate any other ideas though.

pf0sh0
03-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Curious about this too.. have some friends in San Diego coming back soon who just received calls from their work place informing them to stay home for 2 weeks...

Both haven't received clarification on whether it is unpaid/ paid

Cagare
03-12-2020, 02:30 PM
Received notice today about this. Self isolation is on your vacation or leave of absence. Odd they don't say if you actually have the disease that you can use sick time, but maybe that's implied?

Of course you can work from home if self isolating and many of us can, but if they close schools and I have to self isolate, good luck with that.

pheoxs
03-12-2020, 02:34 PM
Should it not fall under short term disability? Since you can't perform the duties of your job?

Cagare
03-12-2020, 02:36 PM
Should it not fall under short term disability? Since you can't perform the duties of your job?

That's likely what they are doing with EI right? I think if you are sick, then sick time should apply if you have it?

Self isolation is one thing.

Mitsu3000gt
03-12-2020, 02:39 PM
We had to take a questionnaire to see if we are set up to work from home, and our offices are apparently getting sanitized daily. Nothing more than that as of yet.

I'm going to Hawaii in April so if I get stuck there I won't be too upset haha.

Swank
03-12-2020, 02:56 PM
I bet there are a lot of people who won't self isolate if they aren't getting paid, we all know tons of people live paycheck to paycheck. On the other hand there will be people who abuse it and it'll hurt a lot of employer's bottom lines even without the abuse, as if the economy isn't laying the boots to us enough already. Conundrum!

Mitsu3000gt
03-12-2020, 04:18 PM
We got told to work from home on Monday as a test, and they might extend it as a precaution.

idriveabox
03-12-2020, 06:18 PM
BVS office. I’m in insurance and we’ve been home all week. Not going back until at least the 31st...

The_Rural_Juror
03-12-2020, 06:34 PM
We were told to keep coming in until Trudeau tells us not to or someone is infected. I am going to professionally retire instead.

mr2mike
03-12-2020, 08:14 PM
We were told to keep coming in until Trudeau tells us not to
Are we still talking Covid-19 or about immigration into Canada?

Thaco
03-12-2020, 08:26 PM
Nothing official from my work, they told a few people who traveled recently to stay home for a couple works, i work in IT and right now we're going bananas trying to scrounge any laptops we can get our hands on to prep them for potential building shutdown if it comes to that.

rage2
03-12-2020, 08:37 PM
Nothing official from my work, they told a few people who traveled recently to stay home for a couple works, i work in IT and right now we're going bananas trying to scrounge any laptops we can get our hands on to prep them for potential building shutdown if it comes to that.
We’ve had problems sourcing laptops because of China shutdown from covid. We got lucky in Calgary converting everyone to laptops when we moved to new office.

Thaco
03-12-2020, 08:43 PM
We’ve had problems sourcing laptops because of China shutdown from covid. We got lucky in Calgary converting everyone to laptops when we moved to new office.

also intel chip shortages all the time, i can only imagine this is going to make it worse.

i've been telling them for years to ditch desktops except where performance and giant video cards are needed

The_Penguin
03-12-2020, 09:50 PM
We're 90% laptops. Thanks to Powershell and PDQ deploy every laptop will have VPN setup and Citrix by tomorrow.

adam c
03-12-2020, 10:03 PM
Nothing other than a paper on how to wash hands properly

Business as usual

eblend
03-12-2020, 10:59 PM
I work in IT and today we were asked to ensure we were ready for work from home......2 hours before an email went out to everyone to stay home for rest of March...thanks for the heads up! Our RDS environment is going to be busy. Many people have laptops and our VPN is good for about 1000 people, but those that don't, including myself, will be working via RDS. Up until this point...RDS was only used by like 5 people in our team....we will see how it goes!

schurchill39
03-12-2020, 11:30 PM
I've been at home for nearly two weeks waiting for our second baby to come so thankfully it sounds like I missed the bulk of the scare. So far the clients I work for have only thrown up signs on how to wash your hands but one of them did send out a "how to" guide for working remotely but they haven't officially said to do that yet

JfuckinC
03-13-2020, 07:33 AM
We just got a new server rolled out, but doing our work(drafting) over Remote Desktop isn’t really viable so that sucks.

bigbadboss101
03-13-2020, 07:40 AM
Asked to work from home today. Our team is the 'trial' group. Also rolled out a new VPN in place of Cisco. Now I just need a bigger screen.

killramos
03-13-2020, 07:42 AM
I have a lunch and learn on how to use Microsoft teams today lol

A bunch of us are always working from home so we are setup pretty good, some people were losing their minds at the concept here yesterday.

Had some grey hair geos complaining about how it’s impossible to do their job on a computer, reality check time for some of the fossils who never adapted to digital.

Disoblige
03-13-2020, 07:44 AM
Had some grey hair geos complaining about how it’s impossible to do their job on a computer, reality check time for some of the fossils who never adapted to digital.
Gotta hate that. But the reality is, it's the person. Know a lot of older folk who are great at adapting, just most of them simply aren't lol.

I mean, these are also the same people who don't know how to zoom in on an Excel spreadsheet, so it's obvious that they are just not computer savvy and saying it's impossible to work remotely as an excuse.

mr2mike
03-13-2020, 07:59 AM
Tell 'em to color at home!
Probably depleted by the time it's mapped.

suntan
03-13-2020, 08:00 AM
I have a lunch and learn on how to use Microsoft teams today lol

A bunch of us are always working from home so we are setup pretty good, some people were losing their minds at the concept here yesterday.

LOL you're going to be so bored during that training.

gmc72
03-13-2020, 08:04 AM
I just got an email saying that we should get a CITRIX login set up with IT in preparation of working from home. Doing my job on a laptop is going to be hell. Going from 2 32" screens to a 15"? UGH!!!

jwslam
03-13-2020, 08:08 AM
Tell 'em to color at home!
I guess work has to issue 11x17 printers to everyone.
but then they also need a personal live-in IT guy.