PDA

View Full Version : Gym equipment

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

89coupe
03-18-2020, 08:44 AM
With all the gyms closed, where is the best place to shop for gym equipment?

I need to get some equipment ASAP.

My dumbbells and pull up bar aren’t cutting it.

you&me
03-18-2020, 08:59 AM
https://www.hyperfitness.ca/products/weight-lifting-package

Local and well-reviewed. Should have everything someone would need.

Edit - just saw "SOLD OUT"... Must be having some problems with suppliers.

taemo
03-18-2020, 09:02 AM
so it is true then that home gym equipment sales are going up lol

i bought my previous gym equipment from https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/ but it looks like their website is overloaded busy right now

killramos
03-18-2020, 09:08 AM
Costco

brucebanner
03-18-2020, 09:22 AM
https://tydax.com

Apparently pretty good gear. Have a buddy that fitted his home gym with their stuff.

Cagare
03-18-2020, 09:48 AM
https://www.bellsofsteel.com/

Based in Calgary. Lots of stuff sold out, and 1 week backlog on orders. Their showroom is closed.

Good equipment. I am strongly debating on it right now.

A790
03-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Fitness Depot.

Ask them to bring everything to 28 points (the lowest they'll go on price without corporate approval).

Disoblige
03-18-2020, 12:50 PM
Fitness Depot.

Ask them to bring everything to 28 points (the lowest they'll go on price without corporate approval).
What does 28 points mean? Does that relay to some sort of percentage relative to the price or what?

D'z Nutz
03-18-2020, 12:58 PM
What does 28 points mean? Does that relay to some sort of percentage relative to the price or what?

uJKsJU_Xr4k

ArjayAquino
03-18-2020, 03:11 PM
Ever consider doing bodyweight training? I'm giving this one a try while I wait to go back to the gym https://athleanx.com/xero

From what I see this is promising because of how the workouts are laid out and the exercise movements are creative. A big part of it is you do super sets and each part of the super set is a variation of the same exercise, no breaks in between them, and you go until failure.

Sample to show what I mean:

OTown
03-19-2020, 12:46 AM
Cant wait to see all this gym equipment on kijiji in a months time.

Cagare
03-19-2020, 07:14 AM
Cant wait to see all this gym equipment on kijiji in a months time.

Can't wait to see when everyone realizes this won't be for just a month.

mr2mike
03-19-2020, 07:20 AM
With all the gyms closed, where is the best place to shop for gym equipment? I need to get some equipment ASAP. My dumbbells and pull up bar aren’t cutting it.
I found when I bought weight equipment, I quickly max out then have to buy more weight. My 80lb-120lb dumbbells are useless and are looking for 140lb or higher to continue my PR's. Any where stock this?

dirtsniffer
03-19-2020, 07:25 AM
Curious what you want a 140 lb dumbell for?

Ive seen them at a gym or two. They are made from a bar with small 10 lb weights on them.

Darkane
03-19-2020, 07:32 AM
Can't wait to see when everyone realizes this won't be for just a month.

That is one of the hardest things for people right now.

I’d love it be wrong, but this is going to carry on for a while. This is our generations defining moment, and if it did somehow miraculously cleared up in a month or two.. economically the damage is done. We’re in for a major uphill battle for the next 5years +. Sorry for the negativity first thing in the morning. It’s realism.

r3ccOs
03-19-2020, 04:51 PM
any recommendations for a good rowing machine - is the concept 2 worthwhile

roopi
03-19-2020, 05:58 PM
any recommendations for a good rowing machine - is the concept 2 worthwhile

I had the concept2 for about a year and it was a great machine. They keep their value too as I as able to sell it after a year for $100 less then I bought it. Took a couple hours on Kijiji. I could have been lucky though. Also Amazon usually has it with free shipping for the same price as most fitness stores (unless you can get a discount at one).

andyg16
03-24-2020, 04:31 PM
Looks like dumbbell sets (adjustable and normal hex ones) are sold out everywhere! I was ready to pull the trigger on the bowflex select tech ones and zero luck!

sabad66
03-24-2020, 04:41 PM
https://www.hyperfitness.ca/products/weight-lifting-package

Local and well-reviewed. Should have everything someone would need.

Edit - just saw "SOLD OUT"... Must be having some problems with suppliers.

I called these guys yesterday. 5 week back order but they will be taking pre orders soon. Canceled my gym membership so might as well use my health spending account on this instead

Cagare
03-24-2020, 04:44 PM
This company is happily gouging away if you are desperate. They had a 30lb dumbbell for $87 I think, kettlebells up now. Such shit.

http://www.allsold.ca/

89coupe
03-25-2020, 06:15 PM
Ended up ordering this, nothing fancy but should be good enough for home.

A790
03-25-2020, 06:20 PM
I've always found smith machines awkward and hard to use.

89coupe
03-25-2020, 06:25 PM
I've always found smith machines awkward and hard to use.

Not for everyone, I don’t mind them.

ExtraSlow
03-25-2020, 06:50 PM

The_Rural_Juror
03-25-2020, 07:10 PM
Not for everyone, I don’t mind them.

Not for whimps. Pros only.

vengie
03-25-2020, 07:13 PM
Its a little hard to do curls in the squat rack with a smith machine... so there is that.

89coupe
03-25-2020, 07:16 PM
Its a little hard to do curls in the squat rack with a smith machine... so there is that.

Stand in front, or slide the bar to the top so it’s out of the way.:dunno:

revelations
03-25-2020, 07:39 PM
I immediately ordered a joist/beam ceiling mounted bar once I saw the gym was closed. While I am certainly no Atlas, I dont do well when I dont have access to something to workout with. In the past, I've even resorted to using hotel bathroom doors as a pull up device.

We have a partial basement (mechanical room is part unfinished ) where I can do pull-ups and hangs/wipes.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073WFL6Y1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Between this and body workouts, its a good substitute for the lack of gymness.

vengie
03-26-2020, 09:21 AM
This is my current home gym.
Put it all together in January, absolutely loving it.

bigbadboss101
03-26-2020, 11:18 AM
Nice! I sold my stuff when we moved. Now I wish I didn't.

killramos
03-26-2020, 11:53 AM
I know there are a lot of fitness threads on here but with being cooped up in the house more I was wondering what the world of beyond thinks of the Peloton Bikes?

They seem really expensive for that they are to me and I never like monthly fees but those I know who have them seem to like them a lot.

ExtraSlow
03-26-2020, 12:25 PM
Do you the bike or the spin class aspect? For people who love spin classes, it's probably great.

roopi
03-26-2020, 12:25 PM
I think the benefit is the classes that you pay for. The bike itself is nothing special. If you have a ipad/tv you can buy a cheaper bike and pay for the classes. Something like this https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/schwinn-ic4-spin-bike/13868851

jwslam
03-26-2020, 12:34 PM
I thought beyond always recommends putting your road bike on a stationary trainer.

killramos
03-26-2020, 12:37 PM
I thought beyond always recommends putting your road bike on a stationary trainer.

I don’t own a road bike (nor am I really interested) so I am open minded to a spin trainer type item.

I’m never going to be the type of person to build out and use a massive home gym but it would be nice to have something for when you can’t get out and be active to take the edge off.

I’m also bored, and shopping for dumb shit is my primary hobby.

bigboom
03-26-2020, 01:49 PM
Peloton bikes are great for those that are into spin classes but I personally wouldn't touch them unless you got a great price on one. For the money spent on a Peloton bike and then the monthly fee you could easily buy a proper bike and trainer along with a subscription to a better training application (Trainerroad, Zwift, Sufferfest etc). I believe a Peloton bike is in the $3k mark and then $50/month after that.

You can buy a bike for around $1500ish and then buy a smart trainer for around $1000 that has power and erg mode which can make your experience training/riding way more immersive and subscription to all those other services are $15/month.

Kjonus
03-26-2020, 02:14 PM
I've got the old version of this bike https://global.schwinnfitness.com/en/570u/100529.html changed out the seat and got a set of clipless pedals on it. It does the job just fine, got a bunch of pre made programs, wasn't too much of an investment, doesn't take up much room, and easy to move. I move it in front of the TV when in use and move it out of the way when I'm done. I got three bikes for outside (mountain, fat tire, road) I use this pretty regular when I can't get out due to weather or in the case of what's gone on now. Looked at spin bikes before getting this but unless you push yourself to crank in the tension you can easily slack off, otherwise you spend the big money and get what you're looking at or the ones with built in programs. I think this is the better option IMO.

89coupe
03-26-2020, 03:39 PM
I bought this from Beyond Fitness. They retail for like $2000.00

Bought a refurbished one for $800

The_Rural_Juror
03-26-2020, 04:19 PM
That is a lovely ride, sir.

pheoxs
03-27-2020, 08:31 AM
Also curious; anyone know anywhere with free weights in stock? Would love some 5, 10, 15, 20lb set right now but guessing everywhere is cleared out.

Cagare
03-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Also curious; anyone know anywhere with free weights in stock? Would love some 5, 10, 15, 20lb set right now but guessing everywhere is cleared out.

Cleared out everywhere. Superstore had some lightweight stuff out, at realistic pricing, which fits your description.

revelations
03-27-2020, 10:54 AM
Cleared out everywhere. Superstore had some lightweight stuff out, at realistic pricing, which fits your description.

You can prob find some marked up on Kijiji - used to be something like $1 a pound but im sure its 2x that now.

Cagare
03-27-2020, 11:14 AM
You can prob find some marked up on Kijiji - used to be something like $1 a pound but im sure its 2x that now.

Marked up more than that in some cases.

89coupe
04-01-2020, 04:38 PM
All setup, just need to buy some plate weight and a big mirror for the wall.

Cagare
04-01-2020, 04:43 PM
Plates are still incredibly hard to find, used market is nearly as much or more than new right now.

What do you think of the powerblocks? I never thought I could get over the handle design. Was hoping to track down some Ironmasters eventually.

mr2mike
04-01-2020, 04:43 PM

89coupe
04-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Plates are still incredibly hard to find, used market is nearly as much or more than new right now.

What do you think of the powerblocks? I never thought I could get over the handle design. Was hoping to track down some Ironmasters eventually.

The power blocks are ok, had them for years. I use to have a full Olympic weight set, 350lbs worth along with dumbbells, but sold it thinking I would never use them. Then the Pandemic happened lol

Cagare
04-02-2020, 09:00 AM
I am just waiting for one more order to arrive with my air bike, another pull up bar and rings and a few other accessory bits. Still need some adjustable dumbbells and a few kettlebells.

https://i.imgur.com/XBbIzZg.jpg

Tik-Tok
04-02-2020, 09:26 AM
The power blocks are ok, had them for years. I use to have a full military weight set, 350lbs worth along with dumbbells, but sold it thinking I would never use them. Then the Pandemic happened lol

I just sold 300lbs of weights in January for $50 because I was sick of them taking up space in the basement and wanted them gone, fast. Guess I should have waited, lol.

cet
04-02-2020, 09:28 AM
I know there are a lot of fitness threads on here but with being cooped up in the house more I was wondering what the world of beyond thinks of the Peloton Bikes?

They seem really expensive for that they are to me and I never like monthly fees but those I know who have them seem to like them a lot.

Girlfriend got one before Christmas but I only really started using it a few weeks ago once the gym closed. I just replaced getting up early to go to the gym with getting up early to get on the bike. I haven't been on a bike in years, and before this, never been to a spin class. I was looking for a way to add cardio to my day and I'm really enjoying the bike. Lots of different classes to choose from and you can filter by music type, ability, length, etc. You can jump on at a specific time to join in to a live class or just start when you want and choose any one you want.

What I also like is that it's not just bike classes. With the Peloton you have the big screen on the bike, there's also an app you can download that has a whole lot more on it. You can do running and walking classes, both inside and outside, bootcamp classes, strength, yoga, stretching and a few more; all kinds of different programs for all kinds of different goals and abilities. The only classes I've tried so far are the spin, a core work out, and a dance cardio one I did with my daughter. All that did was show me that I'm much, much less coordinated than I thought I was.

89coupe
04-02-2020, 09:35 AM
I can’t seem to find plate weight anywhere, everyone is out of stock.

The_Rural_Juror
04-02-2020, 09:38 AM

I like the feel of Ironmasters but the Powerblocks are so much more convenient for changing weights. Powerblocks also appeared to be more secure.

Cagare
04-02-2020, 09:42 AM
I can’t seem to find plate weight anywhere, everyone is out of stock.

Rogue Canada has some limited stock if you wanted to order, but you will be waiting a while.

I like the feel of Ironmasters but the Powerblocks are so much more convenient for changing weights. Powerblocks also appeared to be more secure.

I mean, it's not like I change weights all the time. I mean, some incline press if I am trying to jump RPE, it's not hard to add one plate to the ironmaster or take it away. They also feel more like a standard dumbell, and it looks like I could drop them after a set and not worry about hurting them. I think the powerblock would be great if you have multiple people working out at once?

killramos
04-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Girlfriend got one before Christmas but I only really started using it a few weeks ago once the gym closed. I just replaced getting up early to go to the gym with getting up early to get on the bike. I haven't been on a bike in years, and before this, never been to a spin class. I was looking for a way to add cardio to my day and I'm really enjoying the bike. Lots of different classes to choose from and you can filter by music type, ability, length, etc. You can jump on at a specific time to join in to a live class or just start when you want and choose any one you want.

What I also like is that it's not just bike classes. With the Peloton you have the big screen on the bike, there's also an app you can download that has a whole lot more on it. You can do running and walking classes, both inside and outside, bootcamp classes, strength, yoga, stretching and a few more; all kinds of different programs for all kinds of different goals and abilities. The only classes I've tried so far are the spin, a core work out, and a dance cardio one I did with my daughter. All that did was show me that I'm much, much less coordinated than I thought I was.

I bit the bullet and ordered one, I can return it if i don’t like it so no harm in trying.

Looking forward to it showing up, I feel like it likely has the right level of convenience and competitiveness for me to actually get into it. Or it won’t. I guess we will see.

Wife’s been angling for one for a while anyway.

revelations
04-02-2020, 10:15 AM
This guy has some amazing exercises. I do his "10 min home workout" and it takes me 25 minutes

https://youtu.be/vc1E5CfRfos

beyond_ban
04-02-2020, 10:46 AM
All setup, just need to buy some plate weight and a big mirror for the wall.

Out of curiosity, what are you using the bar collars for?

89coupe
04-02-2020, 11:19 AM
Out of curiosity, what are you using the bar collars for?

Nothing at the moment, I literally put it together yesterday haha.

bigboom
04-02-2020, 11:33 AM

I've had my powerblocks for 8 years or so and theyve been great. My only concern is that they are only held in by those two pins and every now and then i wonder if they will ever fall out in the middle of a lift if gravity or something pulled them out but other than that they've been great. If i was being nitpicky the one thing i would say is that being able to get increments of 5 without having to pull the handles and remove the built in weights would be great.

topmade
04-02-2020, 11:54 AM
I've had my powerblocks for 8 years or so and theyve been great. My only concern is that they are only held in by those two pins and every now and then i wonder if they will ever fall out in the middle of a lift if gravity or something pulled them out but other than that they've been great. If i was being nitpicky the one thing i would say is that being able to get increments of 5 without having to pull the handles and remove the built in weights would be great.

Doesn't your pin handle have magnets? Mine have them but once you lift them up they get locked in place. My other sportblocks have the 4 plastic pins that seem pretty secure so I've never had any concerns with either falling out. Maybe yours is a different model can you rotate them around so the pins face up when doing your exercises.

shakalaka
04-02-2020, 12:10 PM
I put this in yesterday. Bowflex M6. For the wife mostly but I am the who needs it lol. I am now looking at a squat rack of some kind, a bench, some plated weights and a dumbell set that I'll likely be ordering shortly. That's pretty much all I need in a home gym.

The_Rural_Juror
04-02-2020, 12:23 PM

You must have the original design with the rigid pins. I had those for some years as well before upgrading to the newer models with the flexible latches. They appear to be quite robust.

ExtraSlow
04-02-2020, 12:52 PM
veteran move buying the wife a stairclimber. high five.

bigboom
04-02-2020, 12:54 PM
Doesn't your pin handle have magnets? Mine have them but once you lift them up they get locked in place. My other sportblocks have the 4 plastic pins that seem pretty secure so I've never had any concerns with either falling out. Maybe yours is a different model can you rotate them around so the pins face up when doing your exercises.

Mine have the magnets which I'm assuming are those red inserts in either side of the handle but i guess i just mentally don't trust it sometimes depending on the lift I'm doing, especially with things like tricep extensions.

89coupe
04-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Mine have the magnets which I'm assuming are those red inserts in either side of the handle but i guess i just mentally don't trust it sometimes depending on the lift I'm doing, especially with things like tricep extensions.

Mine have never come out, had them for like 17 years.

89coupe
04-02-2020, 01:57 PM
I’m baffled that all the stores in Calgary are out of stock and can’t get new orders for 2-3months.

They could be killing it for sales, blows my mind.

jwslam
04-02-2020, 02:06 PM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-exercise-equipment/calgary/bowlfex-home-gym/1494767479

Mine is very similar. Bought it like 4yrs back used for $100...
Should I sell? :rofl:

ExtraSlow
04-02-2020, 02:21 PM
I’m baffled that all the stores in Calgary are out of stock and can’t get new orders for 2-3months.

They could be killing it for sales, blows my mind.

Are you suggesting that fitness stores could have predicted the timing and impact of the Coronavirus?

killramos
04-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Are you suggesting that fitness stores could have predicted the timing and impact of the Coronavirus?

They should have obviously knocked a few pallets of food headed to the NE off the transport trucks so the aspenites could buy some free weights...

89coupe
04-02-2020, 05:30 PM

Based on my conversations with multiple stores they are not restocking a lot of products purposely to conserve cash flow.

Cagare
04-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Based on my conversations with multiple stores they are not restocking a lot of products purposely to conserve cash flow.

Fascinating. Second hand market is going to go more insane then given that. Makes sense from their standpoint. Too bad they cannot sell some stuff and drop ship them.

OTown
04-02-2020, 08:46 PM

https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-peloton-alternatives-top-smart-exercise-bikes/

Theres lots of other options that do the same thing for less

shakalaka
04-02-2020, 09:16 PM
veteran move buying the wife a stairclimber. high five.

Haha. Learning the ropes as I go along..

shadowz
04-03-2020, 05:27 PM
I bought this from Beyond Fitness. They retail for like $2000.00

Bought a refurbished one for $800

hey, did they have multiple of these?

mr2mike
04-04-2020, 01:05 PM

pheoxs
04-12-2020, 03:44 PM
Anyone got any tips on who might have some dumbells for sale? Would prefer a 15 or 20lb set but pretty flexible at this point. Tried a couple stores and everywhere is sold out obviously. Looking online most of the fitness places say in store only but also their stores are closed.

Fine if I need to preorder or wait a bit but hoping to find something reasonable. Some of the Kijiji prices are out to lunch.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2020, 03:50 PM
did anyone else see a LinkedIn post about a machine shop in strathmore making weights out of the industrial steel they normally use for structural stuff? No? And I can't find it? Ok then . . . . .

Kjonus
04-12-2020, 04:10 PM
did anyone else see a LinkedIn post about a machine shop in strathmore making weights out of the industrial steel they normally use for structural stuff? No? And I can't find it? Ok then . . . . .

Not sure if its the same guy but check FB Marketplace as he's got posts there.

370Z
04-12-2020, 05:09 PM
Canceled my WHC membership 10 years ago and bought what I needed on kijiji...

I don't think I could ever go back to a gym ever again... not because of costs, but because I'm grossed out by everything you have to share/ touch in there...I still remember all the people that just leave their sweat on machines.

pheoxs
04-12-2020, 05:22 PM

I saw a couple of those on fb/kijiji but their prices are crazy. like 5-10$/lb

dirtsniffer
04-12-2020, 06:55 PM
That's crazy.

You should aim for a buck a pound. 2 bucks is premium

pheoxs
04-12-2020, 07:04 PM
That's crazy.

You should aim for a buck a pound. 2 bucks is premium

For sure. Hence asking above haha. I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

revelations
04-12-2020, 07:05 PM
I don't think I could ever go back to a gym ever again... not because of costs, but because I'm grossed out by everything you have to share/ touch in there...I still remember all the people that just leave their sweat on machines.

Thats just a silly line of thinking. I've been going to gyms on and off since the early 90s and not once has that ever crossed my mind as a reason to not go. Mind you I will wipe if the bench is soaking or I've left an obvious mark of sweat behind.

The skin is a fantastic flexible barrier. People are far too timid now a days. In fact sweat might actually help ward off bugs from equipment.

https://www.insider.com/does-sweat-carry-germs-and-viruses

Wash your hands, shower and there are zero issues - unless you're licking the bench.

Cagare
04-13-2020, 09:25 AM
For sure. Hence asking above haha. I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

It's gonna be a while. Most manufacturing for these are in China.

There is some major gouging going on across North America on gym equipment. Best bet is to order something that will ship when it comes in stock. It's almost tempting to sell everything I just bought new recently for profit, but I would rather keep it.

Most dumbbells are $4/lb used right now or higher, and most of the time they are not the nice ones.

firebane
04-13-2020, 09:36 AM
It's gonna be a while. Most manufacturing for these are in China.

There is some major gouging going on across North America on gym equipment. Best bet is to order something that will ship when it comes in stock. It's almost tempting to sell everything I just bought new recently for profit, but I would rather keep it.

Most dumbbells are $4/lb used right now or higher, and most of the time they are not the nice ones.

I'm lucky to have a 100lbs of old plastic covered weights. But I went to look at bars and good lord.. $300 for an olympic bar.

Cagare
04-13-2020, 09:49 AM
I'm lucky to have a 100lbs of old plastic covered weights. But I went to look at bars and good lord.. $300 for an olympic bar.

$300 is pretty reasonable for an olympic bar depending on the quality. Olympic bars can range $300 to over $1k for higher end. Quite a bit more to get wrong when manufacturing an olympic bar. The good olympic barbells are made in Canada and the US. Dumbbells are mainly manufactured in China.

firebane
04-13-2020, 09:52 AM
$300 is pretty reasonable for an olympic bar depending on the quality. Olympic bars can range $300 to over $1k for higher end. Quite a bit more to get wrong when manufacturing an olympic bar. The good olympic barbells are made in Canada and the US. Dumbbells are mainly manufactured in China.

Yeah the one I'm looking at is made here in Calgary. I'll probably be picking one up regardless as I'll be needing one.

Cagare
04-13-2020, 10:36 AM
Yeah the one I'm looking at is made here in Calgary. I'll probably be picking one up regardless as I'll be needing one.

You must mean the Bells of Steel bar. I don't know that it is made in Calgary?

I have their bar. It's been good so far.

firebane
04-13-2020, 10:40 AM
You must mean the Bells of Steel bar. I don't know that it is made in Calgary?

I have their bar. It's been good so far.

Different company https://yycweights.com/

Not sure what their quality is but I inquired.

Cagare
04-13-2020, 11:01 AM
Different company https://yycweights.com/

Not sure what their quality is but I inquired.

Hmm, thanks for the link. Interesting, but they are charging $285 for an olympic bar with no knurling, basically a smooth steel bar. The Bells of Steel barenaked power bar is $300, not in stock right now, but comes with full knurling and at least a warranty.

Just be careful with a company that just popped up to take advantage of a shortfall in equipment. They are charging nearly the same prices as current established manufacturers, with no knurling, no returns (according to their website), and "approximate" weights in their plates. I mean, the plates could do in a pinch.

THey seem ok for dumbbells, but again pricing is that of existing manufacturers. I would wait on stock.

firebane
04-13-2020, 11:13 AM
Hmm, thanks for the link. Interesting, but they are charging $285 for an olympic bar with no knurling, basically a smooth steel bar. The Bells of Steel barenaked power bar is $300, not in stock right now, but comes with full knurling and at least a warranty.

Just be careful with a company that just popped up to take advantage of a shortfall in equipment. They are charging nearly the same prices as current established manufacturers, with no knurling, no returns (according to their website), and "approximate" weights in their plates. I mean, the plates could do in a pinch.

THey seem ok for dumbbells, but again pricing is that of existing manufacturers. I would wait on stock.

Oh absolutely. I sent them an email to ask what type of testing they have done. This isn't something I'm willing to risk my life with LOL.

phubu
04-13-2020, 11:29 AM
Has anyone heard of hyper fitness (https://www.hyperfitness.ca/)? I wonder how their material quality are cause the price for packages seems reasonable.

sabad66
04-13-2020, 11:39 AM
Has anyone heard of hyper fitness (https://www.hyperfitness.ca/)? I wonder how their material quality are cause the price for packages seems reasonable.

no experience with their products yet, but i am in contact with them. They notified me when they had stock for back order, but fucking outlook put it in my junk mail and i missed it. Hope i can get it on their next container as reviews look really good.

vengie
04-13-2020, 11:40 AM

These guys look like they were/ are a machine shop and are manufacturing their own materials.
They likely have zero testing for their bars.... as far as weights go, well a plate is a plate.

They popped up here in 2020.

Edit: Just read some of their descriptions, they're literally a fly by night operation... Buyer beware.

Hyper fitness is just selling kits straight from China.
They're decent for what they are, but overpriced (in my eyes) for the quality you'll be getting.

firebane
04-13-2020, 11:43 AM

Don't know how I'd feel about an olympic 7' bar for $125.

shakalaka
04-13-2020, 12:35 PM
Have you guys been seeing ads on Instagram about those dumbbell weight sets similar to Bowflex ones which gives you multiple weight options in a compact setup for $80 or so? Is that legit? Compared to Bowflex's $500 or so, seems like too good to be true.

Cagare
04-13-2020, 12:50 PM
They likely have zero testing for their bars.... as far as weights go, well a plate is a plate.

In most cases I agree. But there are variations in weight tolerance. For that price I would want a tighter variation. For close to what you are paying them you can get a set of calibrated plates from StrongArm sport. Those plates should be $1 to $1.50 a pound tops.

Also, I wouldn't be worried about the bar breaking unless you are doing some serious weight. Let's put it this way, I think they are saying it's a 25.4mm bar (1"), with no knurling for nearly $300, that's probably going to have a lot of whip I bet. Typical powerlifting bar is 28.5 mm diameter, with knurling and 190,000 psi or stronger bar. There are variations from there. I just don't see the value being there with that bar.

If you read that page About us, they started this because people couldn't get equipment. It's nice, and I understand this gentleman is hand making most of this stuff, but they are charging more than retail of other established brands. Unless you absolutely need equipment now, I would not buy from them.

Pacman
04-13-2020, 12:51 PM
I've got a set of Powerblock Sport 5-50 that I would consider trading for one of the lightweight sets. I don't use much past 35 pounds.

pheoxs
04-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Have you guys been seeing ads on Instagram about those dumbbell weight sets similar to Bowflex ones which gives you multiple weight options in a compact setup for $80 or so? Is that legit? Compared to Bowflex's $500 or so, seems like too good to be true.

Almost certainly fake. After looking at a few sites for some I'm getting a ton of ads on all social media for them. Almost every single site was registered in the last couple months.

They'll make a site, advertise a cheap price, sell a bunch and never ship (or ship a empty box so there's a tracking number), then shutdown and disappear before you can do a chargeback.

sabad66
05-10-2020, 09:39 AM

They have stock now for pre order, delivery in July. Just ordered a rack with the bench upgrade, came out to just under $1300 with taxes and with pickup in calgary

sabad66
05-10-2020, 10:13 AM
Anyone have any recommendations on some floor mats for a home gym for under and around a squat rack? Will be covering a carpeted area if that makes any difference