PDA

View Full Version : The Economy Is Pooped: How Do We Help

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The_Rural_Juror
03-23-2020, 08:26 AM
I didn't want to 89coupe another thread, but I really want to know how we can help with the imminent poopage of the economy.
Prioritization for me looks like:

1) Front Line Health Care Workers
2) Vulnerable Population
3) Low Income Families
4) Small Businesses

Suggestions?

Xtrema
03-23-2020, 08:39 AM
I have been eating out a lot more before the lock down. Trying to help eateries around 17th ave SW, a burger/ramen at a time.

Now, I'm trying to do the same with my Starbucks coffee runs but unfortunately, there are nothing good to eat around my house.

Renee from UAP will get a gig from me if government doesn't deem dealership non-essential and get my car by end of this month.

I will keep donating to Calgary Food Bank and I am sure the need will be immense to get thru this and is the only non-profit I trust my money to.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2020, 08:43 AM
Is that Renee the detailing woman? I might need a service like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't decide how much I want to eat out. I'm kind of conflicted. I love restaurant food, but also not sure if my take-out orders for with "aggressive social distancing" strategies.

There are two local family - run places I want to support though.

And my barber TBH.

pheoxs
03-23-2020, 08:49 AM
I have been eating out a lot more before the lock down. Trying to help eateries around 17th ave SW, a burger/ramen at a time.

Now, I'm trying to do the same with my Starbucks coffee runs but unfortunately, there are nothing good to eat around my house.

Renee from UAP will get a gig from me if government doesn't deem dealership non-essential and get my car by end of this month.

I will keep donating to Calgary Food Bank and I am sure the need will be immense to get thru this and is the only non-profit I trust my money to.

It's a hard balance for me. On one hand I want to support local but on the other hand I want to take social distancing seriously and don't feel like venturing out for takeout or doing delivery.

I'm basically going to hibernate but as soon as things look up I'll do my best to waste lots of my money on local businesses.

tonytiger55
03-23-2020, 08:54 AM
I didn't want to 89coupe another thread, but I really want to know how we can help with the imminent poopage of the economy.
Prioritization for me looks like:

1) Front Line Health Care Workers
2) Vulnerable Population
3) Low Income Families
4) Small Businesses

Suggestions?

I would personally place truck drivers and farmers at the top of that. None of that list can function without them on a basic level.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2020, 08:56 AM
I would personally place truck drivers and farmers at the top of that. None of that list can function without them on a basic level.

Really hard to directly support those industries as an individual consumer though.

bjstare
03-23-2020, 09:06 AM
We went from doing some kind of take out at least twice a week to none at all. No way I want random people touching/preparing my food. Our family's well-being trumps supporting local eateries. I still want to support local business in ways that make sense; I plan on visiting tirebob sometime soon, as an example.

The_Rural_Juror
03-23-2020, 09:10 AM
Truckers are our lifeline right now, but they appear to be well-compensated with some anecdotal reports of rates tripling due to how busy they are. The government in the US needs to ensure that they keep truck and rest stops open for them.

I have been supporting our local bakeries, but it is tough to buy $50 of pastries every few days. I feel bad for the front line grocery store employees.

tonytiger55
03-23-2020, 09:13 AM
Really hard to directly support those industries as an individual consumer though.

Fair point.
That came to mind as my buddy is a truck driver. Once he stops shit gets real. I would like to see government give them and the family the same status as healthcare workers. My truck driver friend and his family still need to go grocery shopping, access pharmacy etc. While he is on the road, his wife has to do the Costco runs and look after his two kids. If she gets sick, he has to stop working. That is one load of supplies off the road.

To answer OP's original point. The only thing directly comes to mind is grocery stores giving only access to key workers like they do with the elderly.

ZenOps
03-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Rip the bandaid off, or slowly peel it. For the Economy, I'm going to be brutal and say - let it go. Just let it go. If Ford is no longer a company in a year - let it go. If NASA is no longer functional because all of them were 50+ age and they never passed on any useful information to the next generation, just let it go.

AndyL
03-23-2020, 09:31 AM
Sorry but after that stunt yesterday with the nurses refusing to run nasal swabs... My support for the nurses is diminished... Sorry your union the hospital, and AHS decided nasal swabs only need surgical masks... You want respirators - bring your own. 2 dozen symptomatic isolated people moved... Exposing thousands more people, needlessly since the nurses refused to perform the tests...

Pretty sure hypocraticand nightingale oaths say you don't do that.

Not like they aren't going to be rolling in overtime at our expense. Restaurants etc are delivering them free meals at the hospital.

I'm supporting my local grocery store manager - I'm her childcare now that daycares are gone.

Id love to see more stores setting up and feeding the truckers along the highways - since the fast-food restaurants they tend to rely on refuse to allow them to order at the window. Our government should look at adjusting hours of service rules for them like they did during the Katrina aftermath. I emailed Mr Barlow on this Friday, after finding out a friend is sitting on a 72 hour reset just before Coutts - with a load of respirators... Because he ran out of hours before he got in sight of the crossing - lineup was insane.

The_Rural_Juror
03-23-2020, 09:42 AM
I'm supporting my local grocery store manager - I'm her childcare now that daycares are gone.

That's a heck of a way to get first dibs at TP and fresh produce.

It was a small local group of nurses. I don't blame them as there are health care professionals dying from inadequate PPE. They walked out early when there was little to no impact to the public - it's a different issue if they did that during the peak. They need to protect their family too.

I read that about truck drivers. That's going to get fixed. It has to be.

I am looking into 3D printing groups as well. We won't be able to print ventilators, but I am sure there are odds and ends we could help with. I wonder if we can print face shield supports for grocery store employees. They see so many people, especially the greeters and receipt checkers at Costco.

AndyL
03-23-2020, 09:53 AM
Sorry but demanding PPE that's above and beyond what your union, hospital and AHS have agreed is appropriate isn't going to fly.

They're going to get it - everyone is... This is why they're well paid - wasn't that their argument as to why we can't cut back?

It still comes back to - were about to face a shortage. Waste them now unnecessarily or later during procedures they're needed? Some US hospital's are already out and their staff is working with improvised... Ours are complaining they want more...

There's no need for 3d printed pieces - most aren't dialed in for water tight, could probably sell some less effective respirators to the general population... My PAPR went to relative with medical need, so I should eyeball a new one soon :)

SKR
03-23-2020, 10:03 AM
Sorry but after that stunt yesterday with the nurses refusing to run nasal swabs... My support for the nurses is diminished... Sorry your union the hospital, and AHS decided nasal swabs only need surgical masks... You want respirators - bring your own. 2 dozen symptomatic isolated people moved... Exposing thousands more people, needlessly since the nurses refused to perform the tests...

Pretty sure hypocraticand nightingale oaths say you don't do that.

They don't say that. Fuckin Facebook housewife.

ZenOps
03-23-2020, 11:00 AM
EBgames claims it is an essential service. Well, it is if the internet goes down IMO.

B.Spilner
03-23-2020, 11:32 AM
EBgames claims it is an essential service. Well, it is if the internet goes down IMO.

Stores all closed friday...:dunno:

The_Rural_Juror
03-23-2020, 11:52 AM
Stores all closed friday...:dunno:

After Flipstah got his Animal Crossing.

ZenOps
03-23-2020, 12:24 PM
It claims its essential, the cops obviously won't see it that way and will shut it down/fine it to death to stay open.

Disoblige
03-23-2020, 12:27 PM
Where is "build wall around Aspen" ?
That is easily #2 on the list. #1 debatable.

tirebob
03-23-2020, 01:14 PM
We went from doing some kind of take out at least twice a week to none at all. No way I want random people touching/preparing my food. Our family's well-being trumps supporting local eateries. I still want to support local business in ways that make sense; I plan on visiting tirebob sometime soon, as an example.And it is greatly appreciated!!! Cheers!

dirtsniffer
03-23-2020, 01:25 PM
My wife has proposed $30 Thursday's where everyone supports a local industry with a $30 purchase. I think this week we are getting a $50 craft gift card as 100% of gift cards purchased right now go to staff.

Disoblige
03-23-2020, 01:28 PM
The gift card idea is awesome. Give them the money now in time of need, so you can redeem later when times are better.
We can definitely do our part by buying a $50 gift card from a local business every week from various places.

D'z Nutz
03-23-2020, 06:50 PM
The gift card idea is awesome. Give them the money now in time of need, so you can redeem later when times are better.
We can definitely do our part by buying a $50 gift card from a local business every week from various places.

Keep in mind some of the smaller businesses don't do gift cards because of the overhead to process them.

you&me
03-23-2020, 09:30 PM
Keep in mind some of the smaller businesses don't do gift cards because of the overhead to process them.

Also keep in mind, as unfortunate as it may be, the reality is many small businesses may not come out the other side and those gift cards could be worthless.

I'm all for supporting local, small businesses (no, Starbucks doesn't count), but you might want to consider actually buying something, rather than just dropping $$ on a gift card.

msommers
03-24-2020, 12:34 PM
I've seen some restaurants posting that people are donating money to have them deliver food to healthcare staff. I fucking love this idea and we are going to donate the most we can manage.

ExtraSlow
03-24-2020, 06:22 PM
Man I'm going to want some restaurant food soon. Heard Boston Pizza had a special in pick-up orders. Id probably prefer one of my local family-run places, but feeling so conflicted about any kind of commerce.

What would Dr Dee tell me to do?

ZenOps
03-24-2020, 06:29 PM
I'm going to go full retard and say: We should build a mask and glove factory to restart the economy.

Because if through my lifetime it was Cold and Flu, if its now every year Cold Flu and Corona - then its probably more important than having an extra cheese pizza or slice of avocado toast. Especially if it mutates and kills more kids than old people - you know - like what the Flu mutated into that one year.

nzwasp
03-24-2020, 06:36 PM
I saw an article on Reddit today that most small businesses close in under 30 days if they have no form of revenue for that period.

ZenOps
03-24-2020, 08:28 PM
My guess would be that the USA would consider a year long pause button only if the rest of the world did the same. As long as the USA can maintain the illusion of #1, by ensuring everyone else is miserable and not just them - it will be ok.

Misery loves company.

The_Rural_Juror
03-24-2020, 11:09 PM
I saw an article on Reddit today that most small businesses close in under 30 days if they have no form of revenue for that period.

That sounds about right.

vengie
03-24-2020, 11:26 PM

Yup.

04Terminator
03-25-2020, 12:36 AM
The economy will be just fine. The poor will get poorer, the rich will get richer, and we'll forget about taking future precautions 10 minutes after this is over. Right now, we all love healthcare and research, after the 10 minutes is over, we'll be back to cutting funding for both.

If a business cant afford to survive and pay its employees for 3 months, it doesn't deserve to be taking up space in the market place. We especially should not give big business even a penny.

Don't panic about the economy.

Misterman
03-25-2020, 05:28 AM
It claims its essential, the cops obviously won't see it that way and will shut it down/fine it to death to stay open.

Cops are too busy doing non essential work and creating unnecessary distance exposure by running extra speed traps now, that they won't have time to shut down EB games or do anything actually useful. At least in Edmonton.

ExtraSlow
03-25-2020, 12:41 PM
I can't decide how much I want to eat out. I'm kind of conflicted. I love restaurant food, but also not sure if my take-out orders for with "aggressive social distancing" strategies.

There are two local family - run places I want to support though.

And my barber TBH.

Well, my wife is much more rational and well-informed than me, so she said we were fine to eat take-out. Got a big take-out order from my favourite Viet place for lunch and tipped the guy an extra $15 bucks too. I've been buying from him from for ten years, want to help him any way I can.

04Terminator
03-25-2020, 02:31 PM
Well, my wife is much more rational and well-informed than me, so she said we were fine to eat take-out. Got a big take-out order from my favourite Viet place for lunch and tipped the guy an extra $15 bucks too. I've been buying from him from for ten years, want to help him any way I can.

You are very brave. We stopped eating out, delivery all that. I even douse my amazon packages in spray bleach, and let them sit outside for an hour before I bring them in. They when I open them, I spray the inner packaging.

I tried a timmies drive through, and when she passed me the card readers, I was suddenly wondering how many hands it's been through, how many employees coughed or sneezed on it. This stupid thing is going to turn me into Howard Hughes, minus all his money.

D'z Nutz
03-26-2020, 06:31 PM
I've seen some restaurants posting that people are donating money to have them deliver food to healthcare staff. I fucking love this idea and we are going to donate the most we can manage.

Sadly it looks like healthcare staff are unable to accept food donations now:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6734171/coronavirus-alberta-health-services-workers-food-donations/

Some Albertans have been showing their appreciation for health-care workers by dropping off donations of food. But those donations won’t be accepted anymore, Alberta Health Services said.

In a series of tweets Wednesday, AHS explained “the risk is just too great right now” and “no AHS staff member may accept or serve any external, non-AHS sourced food, to patients or staff.”

Also, I went to order some food from my favourite Italian restaurant last night and they decided to shut down because they weren't getting enough business :(

03-26-2020, 07:28 PM
You are very brave. We stopped eating out, delivery all that. I even douse my amazon packages in spray bleach, and let them sit outside for an hour before I bring them in. They when I open them, I spray the inner packaging.

I tried a timmies drive through, and when she passed me the card readers, I was suddenly wondering how many hands it's been through, how many employees coughed or sneezed on it. This stupid thing is going to turn me into Howard Hughes, minus all his money.

Just stay home buddy.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sJoNw_1585174306

KPHMPH
03-27-2020, 08:16 AM
I have an inkling this is going to be the hardest hit times for Alberta that we will ever see in our life.

I honestly don’t know if I want to prolong the inevitable with some of these businesses, not enough people are ordering out to keep them alive.

ZenOps
03-27-2020, 08:22 AM
Locally, sure there will be damage. But high probably two big worldwide airlines will fade out if not bluntly just give up. This is also a chance for one or two major combustion car manufacturers to call it quits too. IMO, no one else even mentions it as taboo - But Ford could just plain give up on autos and start making other things.

This event is the ultimate scapegoat to reshape everything.

The_Rural_Juror
03-27-2020, 08:32 AM
Are there any organizations that I should be donating money to right now?

Xtrema
03-27-2020, 08:36 AM

https://www.calgaryfoodbank.com/2020/healthycommunity/

This ain't normal and many won't survive on Trudeau's $2K alone.

And cherry on top is money won't go to fat CEOs and cronies.
https://www.charityintelligence.ca/charity-details/11-calgary-food-bank

The_Rural_Juror
03-27-2020, 08:49 AM
https://www.calgaryfoodbank.com/2020/healthycommunity/

This ain't normal and many won't survive on Trudeau's $2K alone.

And cherry on top is money won't go to fat CEOs and cronies.
https://www.charityintelligence.ca/charity-details/11-calgary-food-bank

I entered "Xtrema is so dreamy" on the message to the food bank.

A2VR6
03-27-2020, 10:03 AM

https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/calgary-seniors-resource-society/

There are alot of isolated seniors out there with no family and these guys are the only people helping/interacting with them day to day.

AndyL
03-27-2020, 10:28 AM
Wildrose community connections down in high river has organized with Sobeys to deliver food to those in isolation/vulnerable. So the seniors - sick, returning snowbirds etc.

That would be a good place to send some $.

arcticcat522
03-27-2020, 10:33 AM
I entered "Xtrema is so dreamy" on the message to the food bank.

Rep for you kind sir.

The_Rural_Juror
03-27-2020, 11:57 AM
https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/calgary-seniors-resource-society/

There are alot of isolated seniors out there with no family and these guys are the only people helping/interacting with them day to day.

I pay tribute to A2VR6

nzwasp
03-27-2020, 12:51 PM
Donations made as well, thanks for the info

Donation Amount: $200.00
In Support of: A General Donation
Donation Date: 27/03/2020
Charity Name: Calgary Food Bank
Registered Charity Number: 130167349RR0001

ExtraSlow
03-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Favourite family-run Chinese place tonight. Tipped em $20 on a $65 order.

ExtraSlow
03-28-2020, 08:24 AM
Can help out the local sharpening place too:
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/411685-Quality-Calgary-small-business-Get-your-knives-sharpened-Cal-Don-Sharpening?p=4860237#post4860237
Cal-Don has a "hands free drop table" in the parking lot. I like that.

D'z Nutz
03-28-2020, 10:10 AM
I drove by my favourite pizza place yesterday and they're still open. Gonna have to make an order this week:
https://www.zomato.com/calgary/luigis-2-for-1-pizza-17th-ave-se/menu

ExtraSlow
03-28-2020, 10:22 AM
Lina's Italian market has sign outside advertising grocery and meal delivery. I like Italian food!

ExtraSlow
04-03-2020, 06:30 PM
Well, supported another local small business today. $70 worth of seafood from Pelican pier. Damned kids were hungry, guess they haven't been getting as much grease as usual, they demolished it.

The_Rural_Juror
04-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Good job!

tirebob
04-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Well, supported another local small business today. $70 worth of seafood from Pelican pier. Damned kids were hungry, guess they haven't been getting as much grease as usual, they demolished it.

Good for you man! I dropped $150 at Master Meats yesterday... Beautiful brisket and a chuck roast to make pulled beef dips with!

ExtraSlow
04-03-2020, 06:52 PM
I need to clean out my freezer before I buy a brisket, but assuming it's still permitted, I'll be hitting master meats soon enough.

The_Rural_Juror
04-03-2020, 06:58 PM
I like how the owner of Master Meats always sneaks in an extra 10%-15% more than what I want. So I always adjusted my order. Then one day I got a noob who gave me exactly what I asked for. That was awkward.

90_Shelby
04-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Lina's Italian market has sign outside advertising grocery and meal delivery. I like Italian food!

Their doors are still open as well, we loaded up this week.

The_Rural_Juror
04-05-2020, 01:19 PM
http://monogramcoffee.com/ has free shipping if you order 2 bags. They are a great homegrown group.
What I learned from This War of Mine is that coffee is essential for mental health. So I stocked up.

dirtsniffer
04-05-2020, 01:50 PM
Try out 521 roasters.

sabad66
04-07-2020, 10:37 AM
So Modern Steak's supplier is now offering their raw steaks for sale to the public:
https://benqmeats.net/store/

Very tempting.

ExtraSlow
04-07-2020, 10:43 AM
So Modern Steak's supplier is now offering their raw steaks for sale to the public:
https://benqmeats.net/store/

Very tempting.

The "better" butchers in town can all get amazing quality steaks.

ExtraSlow
04-11-2020, 12:05 PM
Anyone have suggestions for local charities that are still functional that can help get resources to those in need right now? I was thinking meals-on-wheels or food banks are probably pretty busy. Anything else?

I do know that independent musicians are hurting, since the majority of their income comes from live shows. Find someone on bandcamp or somewhere and buy some merch or something.

90_Shelby
04-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Anyone have suggestions for local charities that are still functional that can help get resources to those in need right now? I was thinking meals-on-wheels or food banks are probably pretty busy. Anything else?

I do know that independent musicians are hurting, since the majority of their income comes from live shows. Find someone on bandcamp or somewhere and buy some merch or something.

Or go and pre-purchase your next set of tires from Tirebob.

The_Rural_Juror
04-11-2020, 01:41 PM
Food bank, mustard seed, these guys: https://calgaryfoundation.org/covid-19/

A2VR6
04-11-2020, 04:02 PM
FYI for those who are interested in donating to a charitable organization TC Energy has launched an external giving portal where they'll match donations made on their external site up to $500,000.

https://tcenergy.benevity.org/community

D'z Nutz
04-12-2020, 08:35 AM
Went to Glamorgan bakery yesterday to pick up a few bags of cheese buns yesterday. They're doing pre-orders and curb side pickups now if you don't want to go in.

The Italian restaurant I like to go to finally reopened last week to do take-out only and it's good to hear they've been pretty steady.

msommers
04-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Which Italian place?? Also good to know about those cheese buns. They're like crack

ExtraSlow
04-12-2020, 07:22 PM
Had another good way to help come across my desk today. Our school is donating grocery gift cards to some of the lower income families. Our school always had a lot of kids relying on the breakfast and lunch nutrition programs to get adequate healthy food through the day, and now that school is out those kids can't access those resources obviously. The school administration is handling the distribution to those families in need, and as long as my household is still earning two incomes, I'm able to help out as well. I will be donating to this for sure, because it's heartbreaking to think of these kids being stuck inside all day and being hungry.

Ask your local school, or get in contact with a school in a more "diverse area" if you live in aspen.

The_Rural_Juror
04-12-2020, 07:45 PM
I do brown bagging for Calgary kids too. https://bb4ck.org/

ExtraSlow
04-12-2020, 08:06 PM
I do brown bagging for Calgary kids too. https://bb4ck.org/

I think the lunch program at our school is a partnership with bb4ck, great organization.

HiSpec
04-12-2020, 08:19 PM
Ordered couple bags of beans from Sought x Found roaster.

D'z Nutz
04-13-2020, 08:47 AM
Which Italian place?? Also good to know about those cheese buns. They're like crack

Rea's on Edmonton Trail. Been going here since I was a kid.

http://www.reasitaliancucina.com/

ExtraSlow
04-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Reas is amazing. Love that place.

A2VR6
04-13-2020, 09:40 AM
Reas Gnocchi :drool:

msommers
04-13-2020, 12:20 PM
Rea's IS amazing. Love that place!

Pasta this week I think :)

D'z Nutz
04-13-2020, 12:23 PM
FYI, business hours from their Facebook post

Rea's Italian Cucina
April 2 at 2:05 PM ·

Rea's Italian Cucina is now open for take out. We are offering all of our great pizza's, as well as a limited selection of your favorite pasta dishes and entrees. For your convenience, we are able to offer beer and bottles of wine with your take out. We will soon be joining Door Dash for those wanting to stay in during this time. Check out our take out menu, call us today to place your order. We look forward to hearing from you.

We'll be open for take out Tuesday-Friday 11-2 and 5-8 and Saturday 5-8 #supportlocal

Minas is next on list of local businesses to support.
https://www.minassteakhouse.com/

killramos
04-13-2020, 09:03 PM
Minas is awesome and owned by some great people.

The_Rural_Juror
04-14-2020, 09:57 AM
Ordered couple bags of beans from Sought x Found roaster.

Sought x Found roasts really good coffee. I just don't know how to say their name. "Sought times Found", "Sought X Found", ...

beyond_ban
04-14-2020, 01:32 PM
Sought x Found roasts really good coffee. I just don't know how to say their name. "Sought times Found", "Sought X Found", ...

I think Sought and Found

ExtraSlow
04-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Hah, so I "got my head around" take-out restaurant food one or two meals a week just fine. Trying to make those orders mostly from my long-time family-run favourites. BUT had a new request this week. Family wants sushi. Now uncooked food during a time of pandemic, is that stupid?

The_Rural_Juror
04-15-2020, 09:24 AM
Hah, so I "got my head around" take-out restaurant food one or two meals a week just fine. Trying to make those orders mostly from my long-time family-run favourites. BUT had a new request this week. Family wants sushi. Now uncooked food during a time of pandemic, is that stupid?

You can buy frozen sushi grade stuff and do it yourself. However, there's that little rice obstacle you will have to overcome.

Maxx Mazda
04-15-2020, 09:25 AM
The "better" butchers in town can all get amazing quality steaks.

Yeah, checked the link. $250 for their “steak pack” are you kidding me?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-15-2020, 09:26 AM
Normally I buy most of my parts online but I spent $400 locally on brakes for my truck last week. But I also spent like $300 on Rockauto for Corvette and Crown Vic parts too.

Disoblige
04-15-2020, 09:29 AM
Family wants sushi. Now uncooked food during a time of pandemic, is that stupid?
Nope, as long as you do it properly. With uncooked food prep, you can't fuck around like with fried rice.
I even use superstore filets for my poke or nigiri/sashimi, but just have to make sure you freeze that stuff solidly and thaw it out before serving.

Or else this is going to happen to you and your family:
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/alberta-man-gets-first-known-canadian-case-of-worms-from-grocery-store-raw-salmon/

If you are really worried, stick with imitation crab meat, and make California rolls. Everything is cooked and maybe it will satisfy the sushi fix.

The_Rural_Juror
04-15-2020, 09:29 AM
I love the nice hand written message that Monogram wrote on the outside of my delivery package. Hope they make it.

lasimmon
04-15-2020, 09:30 AM

Its fine assuming the restaurant is practicing hygiene.

Disoblige
04-15-2020, 09:35 AM
Its fine assuming the restaurant is practicing hygiene.
Just realized ES meant take-out. Uncooked vs. cooked makes really no difference in terms of take-out concerns, really...

But... I honestly don't understand the whole take out scenario. Practice physical distancing and take all the proper precautions, but then put substances inside your body where you have no idea how it was handled. I rather go outside with no mask than eat take-out, but that is just me.

ExtraSlow
04-15-2020, 09:36 AM
Am I wrong in assuming no restaurants are having dine-in right now?

RX_EVOLV
04-15-2020, 09:43 AM
We drove by Jollibee NE yesterday evening and saw at least 15+ people holding a doordash bag waiting outside the door to pickup. Maybe they were trying to dodge the rain but defnitly no social distancing there - they were all in very close proximity waiting for their orders to come out.

killramos
04-15-2020, 09:52 AM
Am I wrong in assuming no restaurants are having dine-in right now?

Dine in is banned

ExtraSlow
04-15-2020, 09:54 AM
Dine in is banned

Right, so why are people surprised I'm talking about take-out? So confused.

Disoblige
04-15-2020, 09:58 AM
Right, so why are people surprised I'm talking about take-out? So confused.
Speaking for me, I wasn't surprised. I was referring to a scenario where you would make it at home yourself (which was my mistake).

The_Rural_Juror
04-15-2020, 10:14 AM
I haven't done take out in a while. However I would expect that restaurants are super vigilant at the moment because a positive case could destroy their business. I feel bad with the amount of stress those businesses must be under.

bjstare
04-15-2020, 11:13 AM
But... I honestly don't understand the whole take out scenario. Practice physical distancing and take all the proper precautions, but then put substances inside your body where you have no idea how it was handled. I rather go outside with no mask than eat take-out, but that is just me.

It's not just you.

At least once a week there's another restaurant/grocery store/whatever being shut down for sanitizing after an employee tested positive. Like hell I'm gonna let someone handle my food when I have no idea how important they think personal hygiene is during this time.. not to mention, it's highly likely they aren't 6 feet away from the other restaurant staff prepping my food.

Strider
04-15-2020, 04:38 PM
Sought x Found roasts really good coffee.
Holy shit, I thought beans at Monogram and P&S were expensive... Is Sought x Found in Aspen or something?

killramos
04-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Holy shit, I thought beans at Monogram and P&S were expensive... Is Sought x Found in Aspen or something?

They grow the beans in 89coupes back yard

ExtraSlow
04-15-2020, 04:49 PM
They use only the best 89poop as fertilizer.

msommers
04-15-2020, 07:46 PM

They seem right on par with all the bougie coffee roasters in town.

These are also the people with the dumbest hot chocolate description for the hot cocoa festival. Fuck those guys.

The_Rural_Juror
04-15-2020, 08:42 PM
What was the name that induced so much hate?

dirtsniffer
04-15-2020, 09:05 PM
Nope, as long as you do it properly. With uncooked food prep, you can't fuck around like with fried rice.
I even use superstore filets for my poke or nigiri/sashimi, but just have to make sure you freeze that stuff solidly and thaw it out before serving.

Or else this is going to happen to you and your family:
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/alberta-man-gets-first-known-canadian-case-of-worms-from-grocery-store-raw-salmon/

If you are really worried, stick with imitation crab meat, and make California rolls. Everything is cooked and maybe it will satisfy the sushi fix.

Residential freezers dont get cold enough to kill the parasites afaik

- - - Updated - - -

Started buying five 21 coffee to get my fill whilst working from home.

5lb bag for $80

https://five21roasters.com/products/ethiopia-guji-coffee-in-calgary?variant=13248093257751