PDA

View Full Version : How extensive/expensive is this project? New patio/deck

RX_EVOLV
04-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Because our house is a 4 level split, we have to walk down 1 floor to access the backyard, and our patio is at the end of the yard against the fence. Sometimes it's a pain just to go in and out to BBQ. Now that we are home all the time, wife and I been thinking about opening up our dining room to a patio deck for better access to the backyard and a place to BBQ. We will still keep the current patio area for lounging.

It's a VERY preliminary idea and have no clue how much something this would cost. if it's $5K - great. if it's like $20K+ then forget about it. Right now it doesn't seem like the right time to kick the tires and get people to come take a look, so curious if you guys have any idea whether this is a minor project ( closer to the $5K range) or a much more extensive/expensive project.

- We have a 4 level split house, so living room is a bit elevated
- We want to replace this window with a sliding door to access outside
- Build a deck with stairs - doesn't have to be too big as we have another huge cement patio area at the end of the yard. Maybe 150-200sqf?

Pictures of inside and outside of house.

spikerS
04-18-2020, 11:31 AM
it's gonna definitely be more than $5k.

$5k will probably cover a standard deck in the size you want with the stairs. To reno the house to make that a sliding door is probably another $4-ish K as the new door needs to be found, cut out the old wall and window, install the new door, and then repair and paint the interior, repair the stucco exterior, (assuming there is no electrical or plumbing that needs to be re-routed). It's not a hard job, but it is a time consuming one.

not really a cheap option. do-able, but not cheap.

jwslam
04-18-2020, 01:29 PM
Yea I was reading and thought the same. Just the door would cost you $5k of structural work.

Also what is the room one level down... your new deck would obstruct that window.

arcticcat522
04-18-2020, 02:17 PM
I bet he could do it himself for around 5k. If he's into that sorta thing. No? Structure wouldn't be too much if the slider fits the same width as the window. Might not fit a slider, but French doors maybe. I also think this would add some value to the home.

ExtraSlow
04-18-2020, 02:27 PM
Yeah, 5k materials, plus a shit pile of hours. Bet some contractors woukd quote $20k.

bjstare
04-18-2020, 02:31 PM
Yeah, 5k materials, plus a shit pile of hours. Bet some contractors woukd quote $20k.

Yup that's what my thoughts were as well. $5k worth of materials (easily more if you want fancy decking and a nice door). Based on the question being asked, I would wager it's not gonna be a DIY.

edit: make no mistake, I think it's a great idea (assuming you find a way to keep access & light coming in that basement window).

RX_EVOLV
04-18-2020, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys. This is extremely helpful. The window is ~70in wide so looks like it's might actually fit the door without too much structural work? It's a west facing yard with decent view in the winter and lots of greenery in the summer so we think it should also add value to the house after, which makes this project a bit more justifiable. The window downstairs is for the laundry/furnace room so it's okay to block it. The pad where the shed is sitting is also pre-wired for a hot tub, so maybe that's something else we can look at down the road.

Sounds like with some research and planning, this is a $10-15K project. Time to crunch some numbers! Thanks so much.

RX_EVOLV
04-24-2020, 09:10 AM
Well the more we think about it, the more excited we get, and the numbers don't look too bad so onto the next step!

Any recommendations on who we should reach out for a job like this?

jwslam
04-24-2020, 09:16 AM
dezmarez seems to recommend the guys they are using

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/412018-Brentwood-Remodel!-Follow-Along-Our-Journey?highlight=brentwood

dirtsniffer
04-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Seems like 2-3 separate projects in my mind. First is to demo and install door, potentially lighting could be it's own project depending on scope. Then deck guy to prep and build the deck.

You may also need to consider the sag on the cable / wiring tying in near the house. Depending on how much more sag is present in the summer it could be a hazard on the deck.

spikerS
04-24-2020, 10:23 AM
I'd be happy to do the deck for you, but I think putting in the patio doors is something I am not so comfortable with.

Nufy
04-24-2020, 11:42 AM
12 x 22 deck cost me about 8500 4 years ago. Including vinyl decking.

I used and installed the old railing myself so that saved me a few $$

I did the reverse of you previous to that and took out a patio door from my master bedroom and added a window. That cost me about 4 G's...

Depending on deck size I would budget about 15,000 for the whole thing.

RX_EVOLV
04-24-2020, 12:56 PM
I'd be happy to do the deck for you, but I think putting in the patio doors is something I am not so comfortable with.

Thanks Spikers. Sounds like the big unknown in this project is the work that might be involved with this window/patio door. Let me get a few quotes on that first to make sure it's not a deal breaker, and if not, I'll reach out and see if you are able to come take a look?

spikerS
04-24-2020, 01:14 PM
yup, totally cool with that. More than anything, while I have done stucco in the past, My skill at trying to color match and cut it is gonna be crap. The rest of it I could do, but, it would probably be better if someone else did it.

Once you have the patio door in, it makes it much easier to put the deck in (height of the deck wise). But sure, lemme know if or when you want to proceed, and I can come take a look.

arcticcat522
04-24-2020, 01:52 PM
Seems like 2-3 separate projects in my mind. First is to demo and install door, potentially lighting could be it's own project depending on scope. Then deck guy to prep and build the deck.

You may also need to consider the sag on the cable / wiring tying in near the house. Depending on how much more sag is present in the summer it could be a hazard on the deck.

I agree with treating it as a couple different project. The sag of the service feed to the home is something to be aware of, but I don't think it's anything that needs to be changed. Just be aware of it. My place has probably the same clearance in the back yard.