PDA

View Full Version : CVT transmissions

jabjab
04-19-2020, 08:36 AM
The general consensus is to stay away from CVT transmission but people still buy them and you'd think car manufacturers fix any issues that are reoccurring

Im in the hunt for a suv in the 8k range but I'm seeing alot of muranos and rouges. I know they have the CVT tranny but are some years better than others?

killramos
04-19-2020, 08:48 AM
The issues with CVTs aren’t issues for the kind of people who buy cars with CVT’s.

bjstare
04-19-2020, 08:52 AM
The issues with CVTs aren’t issues for the kind of people who buy cars with CVT’s.

I 100% agree with this, but there are actual issues with some of them as well. Idk which ones, but there was a time when they were squealing and failing at relatively low kms (and I think it was in Nissans... I'd be happy to be corrected if I'm wrong though).

dirtsniffer
04-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Ive heard its more important to do fluid changes on cvt transmissions so on my wifes rogue we dod them every 75000km. Never gave us any issues

AllGoNoShow
04-19-2020, 09:12 AM
Fluid and the correct Fluid, CVT was fun and interesting! Wouldn't take abuse well but commuter is a different story.

ExtraSlow
04-19-2020, 09:19 AM
I have a friend that owned a Murano with the CVT. Claimed it was "sporty as hell and quite fast" so that's the kind of person who should own a CVT.

spikerS
04-19-2020, 09:25 AM
I have a friend that owned a Murano with the CVT. Claimed it was "sporty as hell and quite fast" so that's the kind of person who should own a CVT.

Your quote reminds me of someone who wants a F150 but will not buy an ecoboost because it doesn't have a V8 exhaust note. LOL!

In all seriousness though, CVT transmissions are fine. I had one in my old Jeep, and it was interesting. I liked it. It's not meant to be a bulletproof transmission that can handle the extremes like off roading or 1/8 track use, but, for what they are, CVTs are amazing and still a relatively new comer to the automotive world. Yeah, some Nissan CVTs had some growing pains, but I hear very few complaints about CVT overall.

revelations
04-19-2020, 09:57 AM
The general consensus is to stay away from CVT transmission but people still buy them and you'd think car manufacturers fix any issues that are reoccurring

Im in the hunt for a suv in the 8k range but I'm seeing alot of muranos and rouges. I know they have the CVT tranny but are some years better than others?

If youre looking for a specific make/model/year - you are way better off consulting a forum for that vehicle.

Car guys who own these vehicles have amazing information about them. You can get information that a) allows you select a MY that had these problems fixed or b) look for a vehicle with specific repairs done already

For eg.

https://forums.nicoclub.com/nissan-rogue-transmission-problems-t586137.html

(root)

https://forums.nicoclub.com/rogue-forum.html

Disoblige
04-19-2020, 09:57 AM
I didn't know spikerS owned a Murano before. Huh, interesting.

370Z
04-19-2020, 10:07 AM
Muranos... in my mid to late 20s, I owned a 2003 for many years. Same engine as the 350Z, great driving dynamics, but back then I wasn't really a car guy so that assessment wouldn't be too reliable, I mean it felt sporty to me, but keep in mind, at that time, I didn't even know how to drive a manual.

Next Murano I owned was an 09, for a winter back in 2013 or so...I still didn't think it was that bad, maybe it's because Muranos have decent power considering it's a soccer mom car. At that point, I was still wasn't a regular stick shift sports car driver.

For the past 4 years now almost, I've maintained my wife's 2013 Juke and like others have said, the CVT can be a headache. The newer gens that they use in Jukes, Muranos, and Rogues for sure are all programmed to go into limp mode if the temp is too hot OR too cold and the fluid level is too high or too low... so the secret I've found so far is to change the fluid often, luckily it's incredibly easy and everyone buys the Valvoline brand online which is a lot cheaper than buying OEM Nissan.

Anything with the first gen CVT is a ticking time bomb for dying on you... people launched class action lawsuits at the time and Nissan ended up giving a massive extension on the warranties but those would be long over now, I think it was 10 years, 200k.

Like I said, my 09 Murano was not too bad... only problem it had was on trips to Canmore on a very hot day, you could hear the CVT whining at highest rpms on the highway... but it didn't go into limp mode right away like the newer gens... still pretty sure it might have been doing damage though, but if I still owned that thing, I would've just changed the fluid more regularly.

As far as driving feel, non enthusiasts buy them because it really are smooth as hell... no real gears, it feels nice if you keep that in mind, ask my wife about the rubber band like feel and she'll stare at you blankly.

spikerS
04-19-2020, 10:08 AM
I didn't know spikerS owned a Murano before. Huh, interesting.

Nope, didn't own a Murano, my Jeep Compass I had for a couple years from 2010-2012 had the CVT in it.

Disoblige
04-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Nope, didn't own a Murano, my Jeep Compass I had for a couple years from 2010-2012 had the CVT in it.
Lol I was just making a joke between you and ES' comments.

spikerS
04-19-2020, 10:23 AM
oh, over my head. still drinking my first coffee. i will do better in the future lol

Pacman
04-19-2020, 12:18 PM
I've got 2 subaru outbacks, both with the CVT. One has 230,000km with no issues. The other has 125,000km with no major issues but I do notice the idle jumps around a bit which is a symptom of the start of a problem with them. Subaru extended the warranty on them so I should be covered if it blows up. I don't love them, but they are fine for daily driven commuter vehicles.

MalibuStacy
04-19-2020, 02:04 PM
If having a smooth driving experience is your goal, then a cvt is great. Just they aren't as well suited for spirited driving as a traditional slush box or auto.

HiSpec
04-19-2020, 03:52 PM
I believe the only 'enjoyable' CVT is the one in WRX.

bjstare
04-19-2020, 04:22 PM
Incorrect; the only enjoyable CVT is in a snowmobile.

ExtraSlow
04-19-2020, 04:26 PM
OP, did you get what you needed out of this thread before we derail it further? I hope so.

All transmissions are stupid. Direct drive is best.

heavyD
04-19-2020, 04:38 PM
I don't like them. I don't care if my wife's vehicle has one but I couldn't accept one in my daily driver.

revelations
04-19-2020, 06:09 PM
Incorrect; the only enjoyable CVT is in a snowmobile.

And scooters - had some fun on a Ruckus before.

Lex350
04-19-2020, 07:04 PM
CVT....never.

370Z
04-19-2020, 07:09 PM
And scooters - had some fun on a Ruckus before.

Oh man, I thought about buying one too... now would be an awesome to time to go rip around neighborhoods....

ExtraSlow
04-19-2020, 07:39 PM
Beyond scooter gang? I'm in.

AllGoNoShow
04-19-2020, 08:57 PM
I believe the only 'enjoyable' CVT is the one in WRX.

Justy for fun factor! Would do again any time :nut:

firebane
04-19-2020, 09:07 PM
My experience is from a 2010 Sentra and as a car guy I hated the cvt. The weird rubber band acceleration did not feel natural. You would go accelerate and the car rev to like 5k and just like a rubber band would do a weird acceleration.

As a commuter car it was perfectly fine and had zero issues with it.

revelations
04-19-2020, 10:34 PM
Beyond scooter gang? I'm in.

They are a hoot within a dense area, like DT Vancouver. Scoots are very popular there.

jabjab
04-20-2020, 10:52 AM
adding a vehicle with a CVT transmission would be for a second car and used for errands etc.

mzdspd
04-20-2020, 11:19 AM
My dad has owned a 2004 Murano since new.. now at 260k.. no issues with the CVT since new. He has changed the cvt fluid multiple times. The only issue that vehicle has had is related to the alternator, it’s on its 4th alternator. Still drives great though.

gmc72
04-20-2020, 12:37 PM
I have a 2009 Murano and haven't had any issues with the CVT. When I first got it, it was fine. Smooth acceleration, kind of sporty for a CUV. Then I got my BMW and I can't stand driving the Murano now. Drones, no shifting (I actually missed it), top heavy, etc. My wife drives it now, but I still have to sometimes. It has close to 260k on it, so it's been durable. Probably need to change the fluid soon though, or trade it in.