PDA

View Full Version : Slip tank/tidy tank for gasoline pickup?

Ekliptix
04-19-2020, 06:23 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to add some fuel range to my new gas pick up. A titan replacement is not in my budget.

I've been looking at used slip tanks. They seem great, but they all seem suited for diesel, meaning many of the manfs of the tanks and pumps say 'not for gasoline'. I assume it's because of the flammability of gas vs diesel, although I'm not sure if this is just a precaution, or if there's something not suitable about the tanks for gasoline.

My ultimate setup would be a slip tank with a hose routed into the factory filler hose. I've watched a tutorial for exactly this (there are kits), but again, it seems for diesel-only.

Anyone have any insight or guidance about this, for a gas pickup?

Thanks

spike98
04-20-2020, 12:47 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to add some fuel range to my new gas pick up. A titan replacement is not in my budget.

I've been looking at used slip tanks. They seem great, but they all seem suited for diesel, meaning many of the manfs of the tanks and pumps say 'not for gasoline'. I assume it's because of the flammability of gas vs diesel, although I'm not sure if this is just a precaution, or if there's something not suitable about the tanks for gasoline.

My ultimate setup would be a slip tank with a hose routed into the factory filler hose. I've watched a tutorial for exactly this (there are kits), but again, it seems for diesel-only.

Anyone have any insight or guidance about this, for a gas pickup?

Thanks

You're right. It is due to the flammability of gasoline vs diesel. Gas slips must be dual wall and i believe that is a transport canada requirement. Also, with Gas i would highly advise against going with a gravity drain. If for some reason the float valve malfunctions (mine has twice) you will end up with leaking gasoline all over the place which is a high hazard for a fire.

Edit, im wrong. It doesn't specifically need to be dual wall. 90873

e31
04-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Have a look underneath your truck for available space for a second tank. Source appropriate fuel tank from wrecker. I got one from an RV wrecker a few years ago.

Ekliptix
04-20-2020, 01:25 PM
You're right. It is due to the flammability of gasoline vs diesel. Gas slips must be dual wall and i believe that is a transport canada requirement. Also, with Gas i would highly advise against going with a gravity drain. If for some reason the float valve malfunctions (mine has twice) you will end up with leaking gasoline all over the place which is a high hazard for a fire.

Edit, im wrong. It doesn't specifically need to be dual wall. 90873
To prevent the leaky float valve risk, I can see a manual transfer from the slip tank to the main tank being the solution, although not as convenient.
I can just buy a ~300L tank, used for diesel previously, strap it in, fill it with gas, and use a siphon to manually refill my main tank when stopped. I've read grounding the main tank to the truck is a great idea to avoid the risk of static/sparking.

Have a look underneath your truck for available space for a second tank. Source appropriate fuel tank from wrecker. I got one from an RV wrecker a few years ago.
How did you connect and feed fuel from the second tank to the primary tank? How did you attach the second tank to the underside of the truck?

e31
04-20-2020, 01:42 PM
Drilled and tapped brass fittings into plastic tank, then epoxy around. I used aircraft fuel transfer pumps bought online. Just welded some brackets from PA and reused the metal straps.

spike98
04-21-2020, 08:03 AM
I can just buy a ~300L tank, used for diesel previously, strap it in, fill it with gas, and use a siphon to manually refill my main tank when stopped.

No, you can't. It has to be certified for gasoline use to the standard in the chart i provided. You could face a HEAVY find if it doesn't meet the specification. Most diesel tanks do not meet the spec as its more expensive to produce when they can rattle them off for diesel only and they will sell just fine.

Ekliptix
04-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Great to know. I'll keep my eye out for a gas-specific slip tank, and use Jerry cans in the meantime.

90_Shelby
04-21-2020, 11:54 AM
How about a fuel cell from Summit / Mopac etc. The size and shape may not work but they're usually inexpensive until you get into the bladder type for road course cars.

Ekliptix
04-21-2020, 12:26 PM
Good idea.
I found 32 gallon unit (120L) for $140 US. And it'll fit under my bed cover. I'll see what Mopac wants to charge me to get it.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rjs-3004601

ExtraSlow
04-21-2020, 12:29 PM
I'm going to assume those fuel cells are not legal for on-road use.

SKR
04-22-2020, 11:28 AM
Would a 36 gallon tank from a 2011-2014 truck fit? I know the frames are different enough that suspension parts don't interchange from 2001-2010 and 2011+. I've never heard of anyone doing that so maybe it isn't possible. I tried googling pictures to see the tanks side by side, or the frames side by side, but I wasn't smart enough to pull it off.

Ekliptix
04-24-2020, 08:59 AM
I can't answer that.

I went the cheap/inconvenient route for now. It was awesome filling these up (150L) at $0.61/L.
Got a 'shaker siphon' too, so I don't have to get a bunch of gas in my mouth transferring to the truck tank.
https://i.imgur.com/L4MAV0Uh.jpg

ExtraSlow
04-24-2020, 09:07 AM
I coukd use this for summer towing. Damned 96Lbtank doesn't get far at 25L/100....

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-24-2020, 09:40 AM
GM fuel tank sizes are a joke. In heavy cross wind I get 350-375km while towing from a 96L tank.

ExtraSlow
04-24-2020, 10:45 AM
Probably why gm tucks seem significantly cheaper on the used market. Or they did when I bought mine.

Ekliptix
04-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Putting this listing here, as it may work for someone. It's cheaper then a Titan tank. May be only diesel specific. Not sure. It's also $1,000, so more then I intend to spend, but it could be a convenient 170L tank replacement for someone.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/calgary/new-transfer-flow-tank-04-5-10-gm-170l/1491292360

Darell_n
04-24-2020, 12:24 PM
Greg’s Distributors should be able to get you proper gasoline certified Tidytanks. I’ve seen them around a fair bit, over the years.

http://www.tidytanks.com/certifiedTCTT.html

This particular model is certified for both diesel and gasoline and is only single walled. Maybe it’s the vacuum/pressure valve that is needed by the Federalies for gasoline.

killramos
04-24-2020, 09:14 PM
Probably why gm tucks seem significantly cheaper on the used market. Or they did when I bought mine.

The tank size is shockingly annoying I agree.