PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Golf Thread

roopi
05-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Got a round in yesterday at Rivers Edge. Greens were decent but the course was pretty wet still.

Anyone know which other courses have opened or opening dates?

bigboom
05-04-2020, 09:40 AM
Got a round in yesterday at Rivers Edge. Greens were decent but the course was pretty wet still.

Anyone know which other courses have opened or opening dates?

Canal Delacour opens today i believe.

killramos
05-04-2020, 11:33 AM
Heard Vulcan golf and country is open.

vtec4life
05-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Heatherglen and Heritage Pointe, also Glen Eagles is open

bjstare
05-04-2020, 12:36 PM
Glen Eagles is always open haha.

Pinebrook opened the range this weekend, but the course won't be open til first or second week of June (this was planned last year though, as they are doing a bunch of rebuilding).

npham
05-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Elbow and all the PGC courses seem to be open. Lots of courses seem to require a foursome to book.

ExtraSlow
05-04-2020, 01:08 PM
Lots of courses seem to require a foursome to book. yeah, males sense they aren't grouping you up with strangers, I think.

killramos
05-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Are CoC driving ranges open? Would be nice to swing a club over the lunch hour once in a while.

OPGForce
05-04-2020, 02:02 PM
Elbow and all the PGC courses seem to be open. Lots of courses seem to require a foursome to book.

You need to call the Pro Shop for most places if you have less than a foursome.

kertejud2
06-08-2020, 11:49 PM
So I've already played more golf this year than the past two years combined. 25 rounds. Before Covid it was my sisters goal to use her membership more, so she basically dragged me along since only principal members could get tee times for most of May (left the husband and kids at home). But it's been great. Now leagues have started up and I've actually decided to play and I'm wondering why I ever got away from it in the first place.

By all accounts it seems like golf is booming in the city again despite the economy. The pandemic and restrictions have made it one of the few recreational activities people can spend money on (an no spring and summer vacations either). Our club had a record number of rounds for May, and the last 9 holes didn't even open until the May Long Weekend. It's been crazy.

shakalaka
06-09-2020, 12:02 AM
I've been playing all over since the season opened a few weeks ago. We end up going 2-3 times a week sometimes since court's are shit and there's tons of time. I got a membership to the local club, which allows access to 4 different courses around the city, where it's half price every time I play and it's awesome. That being said, I still keep trying to go to courses where I haven't been before. Played at Springbank and enjoyed it there - that's the only in Calgary so far.

We are planning a Golfing trip to Kelowna at the end of the month - wondering what courses should we look at booking? We'll be playing a round on Saturday and Sunday.

kertejud2
06-09-2020, 12:17 AM
We are planning a Golfing trip to Kelowna at the end of the month - wondering what courses should we look at booking? We'll be playing a round on Saturday and Sunday.

Not sure there's been a better time to play Predator Ridge and Tower Ranch. Both have had booking deals for less than $150 (turns out all these BC courses realize that by telling Albertans to stay away, they don't get as much money) so definitely look online to see what they're offering. If you can stuff in 36 on one of the days, play both courses on Predator.

shakalaka
06-09-2020, 12:41 AM
Not sure there's been a better time to play Predator Ridge and Tower Ranch. Both have had booking deals for less than $150 (turns out all these BC courses realize that by telling Albertans to stay away, they don't get as much money) so definitely look online to see what they're offering. If you can stuff in 36 on one of the days, play both courses on Predator.

Thanks for the suggestions. Did a quick look on Groupon and couldn't find any deals. But I will check up on Google. Predator Ridge has 36 holes? That's insane, might have to give that a go on Saturday if I can find bookings. If you know of any specific sites where they post these deals, then please let me know. Thanks.

lasimmon
06-09-2020, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Did a quick look on Groupon and couldn't find any deals. But I will check up on Google. Predator Ridge has 36 holes? That's insane, might have to give that a go on Saturday if I can find bookings. If you know of any specific sites where they post these deals, then please let me know. Thanks.

Predator is 45-60 mins from Kelowna. So if looking to stay local Gallaghers Canyon, Harvest Golf club, and Black Mountain are all solid. Tower Ranch is great too.

bjstare
06-09-2020, 07:58 AM
Predator is ok, not worth the money though. I played it fo $100 last time, and I'd say that's a little more in line with the quality of the course. Ridge course is a little frustrating the first time you play it unless your with a local as there's quite a few completely blind shots that just make it a guessing game (yeah they have a yardage book, but it only does so much).

Talking Rock is apparently one of the best in the okanagan, little bit of a drive from Kelowna, but I've heard it's a must play.

I've only played a few times so far this year, as our club rebuilt 12 of the holes last fall/this spring and isn't open til June 20. I've been going to the range at lunch time most days though since I'm only a few mins from the course. Perfect way to break up the day.

lasimmon
06-09-2020, 08:02 AM
Predator is ok, not worth the money though. I played it fo $100 last time, and I'd say that's a little more in line with the quality of the course. Ridge course is a little frustrating the first time you play it unless your with a local as there's quite a few completely blind shots that just make it a guessing game (yeah they have a yardage book, but it only does so much).

Talking Rock is apparently one of the best in the okanagan, little bit of a drive from Kelowna, but I've heard it's a must play.

I've only played a few times so far this year, as our club rebuilt 12 of the holes last fall/this spring and isn't open til June 20. I've been going to the range at lunch time most days though since I'm only a few mins from the course. Perfect way to break up the day.

Talking rock is good, but its in the Schuswap.

ExtraSlow
06-09-2020, 08:08 AM
Hyde mountain is nice, if we are expanding the radius that far.

shakalaka
06-09-2020, 12:26 PM
Okay didn't realize Predator was that far out. That's gonna have to be a no-go for us then. We want to stay in Kelowna proper and try out a couple of courses there. So Tower Ranch is one option, what's a good second option?

roopi
06-09-2020, 12:39 PM
If you are looking for a good value then play Shannon Lake.

lasimmon
06-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Okay didn't realize Predator was that far out. That's gonna have to be a no-go for us then. We want to stay in Kelowna proper and try out a couple of courses there. So Tower Ranch is one option, what's a good second option?

Gallaghers canyon
Black Mountain
The harvest Club
Okanagan golf club - Bear or Quail course

All good options

killramos
06-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Harvest is a solid choice.

shakalaka
06-11-2020, 09:12 PM
So there's a slight change in plans. I don't want to derail the thread too much but since it's about Golf I will post here.

On Friday we get to Kelowna likely later in the day so will just in Kelowna. Saturday morning will book at Tower Ranch and be done by 2-3 to enjoy rest of the day in Kelowna. Now for Sunday since we are heading back, I am thinking stopping by at a course somewhere in between the drive back to Edmonton from Kelowna. Say something perhaps along the half way mark. Thinking about heading back on Sunday in a timely manner, then stopping on the way to whatever course that sort of falls half way, play a round of 18 holes and then continue back towards Edmonton. Since it'll only be half the drive, it shouldn't be that bad. Any suggestions for 'must-see' courses on the drive back between Kelowna and Edmonton? Also remember, we are all more or less rookies, so preferably nothing that's a super difficult course.

TIA!

npham
06-11-2020, 09:13 PM
Take the really long road home and play Jasper Park Lodge?

shakalaka
06-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Take the really long road home and play Jasper Park Lodge?

That's the Fairmont one? We were actually thinking of just going there first instead of Kelowna but I decided latter is better, but for a round it's definitely an option. Not sure how much driving time that will add heading back though so if it's significant, I am guessing that's gonna be a no go for the rest of the peeps.

npham
06-11-2020, 09:22 PM
Yea, I would probably just go there when you are back in Edmonton. Shorter drive from Edmonton.

You could play Banff Springs though. Make sure to play the old course/18. That's not too far out of the way. Silvertip has great views, but the golf is gimmicky. Kananaskis is probably too far out of the way for you and would add an hour or so of driving.

lasimmon
06-11-2020, 09:27 PM
I just wouldn’t golf.

89coupe
06-21-2021, 07:05 AM
Bought a new driver, first in like 10 years.

Got the new Callaway Epic Speed, Smoke stiff shaft, & a jumbo grip by Dritac..

Can’t wait to try out on the course.

bjstare
06-21-2021, 07:19 AM
Drivers have changed a ton in 10 years, if it was fit properly for you, it's almost guaranteed to change your game for the better.

89coupe
06-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Drivers have changed a ton in 10 years, if it was fit properly for you, it's almost guaranteed to change your game for the better.

I had modern shafts in my old driver head, but the tech on the head was old school.

I’m sure I will need to tweak this new driver, but all the adjustments available now are awesome. So easy to adjust loft, draw, etc.

killramos
07-17-2021, 03:13 PM
Doesn’t look like there is a 2021 thread.

Anyone have best ideas for a kind of dark horse cheap membership course these days? Doesn’t have to be a great course.

I have a buddy who is dead set on getting one for next year but paying 3k+ a year just isn’t going to be an option for him.

I’ve heard playership has dropped off a lot in the last few years so figured I’d poll the crowd on options.

lasimmon
07-17-2021, 04:48 PM
Doesn’t look like there is a 2021 thread.

Anyone have best ideas for a kind of dark horse cheap membership course these days? Doesn’t have to be a great course.

I have a buddy who is dead set on getting one for next year but paying 3k+ a year just isn’t going to be an option for him.

I’ve heard playership has dropped off a lot in the last few years so figured I’d poll the crowd on options.

Where did you hear that player ship has dropped? Maybe 2 years ago. Right now it’s crazy.

killramos
07-17-2021, 04:56 PM
I guess I’m not that current on things.

I’ve played 3 rounds in 24 months.

lasimmon
07-17-2021, 05:50 PM
Should be able to find some sub $3000 membership for a year. Maybe elbow springs or somewhere.

killramos
07-17-2021, 06:18 PM
ES was one of the ones that came to mind. Had a buddy say $2,400 or so there.

bjstare
07-17-2021, 07:27 PM
Elbow is it. Under 35 can get an intermediate annual at my club (Pinebrook) for ~3k, but demand > supply right now so we didn’t let anyone new this year that didn’t play last year (this is the first year this has happened in the 8 years I’ve been there).

Demand for golf is though the roof. My other point of reference is our equity shares sold as low as 22k last year, and the last one sold a couple weeks ago for ~52k.

killramos
07-17-2021, 07:32 PM
PB intermediate is equity or equity lite I assume?

bjstare
07-17-2021, 09:02 PM
Intermediate is no equity, just an annual pass with slightly limited playing privileges. There’s two types of intermediate, depending on if your family has a share or not… if you aren’t a members child, your dues are an extra $500 which gets banked towards the activation fee if you purchase a share one day.

2002civic
07-18-2021, 11:39 AM
Weird, 2-4 years ago golf was an old mans game and equity memberships were being given away. Interesting to see what happens once people can travel again and if the demand stays.

bjstare
07-19-2021, 08:08 AM
Given away? At Bearspaw maybe :rofl:

ExtraSlow
07-19-2021, 08:11 AM
Did the Winston ever get thier shit figured out with the old guys and the new clubhouse money?

killramos
07-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Given away? At Bearspaw maybe :rofl:

Probably not the best example, but VR the equity was essentially worthless while I was golfing there.

bjstare
07-19-2021, 08:44 AM
Probably not the best example, but VR the equity was essentially worthless while I was golfing there.

I wasn't even thinking about semi-private; the value of an equity share in what is effectively a public course is questionable at the best of times, IMO.

GenerationX
07-19-2021, 10:21 AM
Did the Winston ever get thier shit figured out with the old guys and the new clubhouse money?

I think they're still figuring it out, it's so bad though :facepalm:

ExtraSlow
07-19-2021, 10:36 AM
Makes perfect sense. Individuals are voting for individual self-interest. Private golf clubs are like the most complicated condo corporation ever devised.

killramos
07-19-2021, 11:01 AM
Any kind of equity ownership where a huge proportion of the voters are retirees on fixed incomes always ends badly.