PDA

View Full Version : Shitty food chains (split)

msommers
05-05-2020, 09:57 AM
They are part of a big enough corporation that I think only some stores will close?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited

Restaurant operations[edit (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Recipe_Unlimited&action=edit§ion=6)]

Cara Air Terminal Restaurant Division (Sold to HMS Host in 2010)
Harvey's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey%27s)
Swiss Chalet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Chalet)
Kelseys Original Roadhouse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelseys_Original_Roadhouse)
Milestones Grill and Bar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milestones_Grill_and_Bar)
Montana's BBQ & Bar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana%27s_Cookhouse)
East Side Mario's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Mario%27s)
Prime Pubs
Bier Markt
The Burger's Priest
Landing Group
Casey's Grill & Bar
New York Fries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Fries)[25] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited#cite_note-25)
St-Hubert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St-Hubert)
Pickle Barrel[26] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited#cite_note-Pickle_Barrel-26)
Original Joe's[26] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited#cite_note-Pickle_Barrel-26)
State & Main[26] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited#cite_note-Pickle_Barrel-26)
Elephant & Castle[26] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited#cite_note-Pickle_Barrel-26)
Taverne Moderne[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited#cite_note-Recipe_Unlimited_Corporation-4)
The Keg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keg)[27] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited#cite_note-27)

It makes so much sense now why that list of restaurants suck.

killramos
05-05-2020, 10:00 AM
I actually like OJ’s, The Landing Group, and the Keg.

:dunno:

Many of them do indeed suck.

For some reason state and main despite having the same menu as OJ’s is always gross

ExtraSlow
05-05-2020, 10:03 AM
Chain restaurants are generally poor to fair, no matter who owns them. They bring the pay structure and supply chain of fast food to the "sit-down" market. Each of those restaurants does a few things decently, and usually they are cheaper than "real" restaurants with "real" chefs, but you have to be realistic.

lasimmon
05-05-2020, 10:07 AM
I actually like OJ’s, The Landing Group, and the Keg.

:dunno:

Many of them do indeed suck.

For some reason state and main despite having the same menu as OJ’s is always gross

I like OJ's because I can go there and spend $16 an know exactly what I am going to get, no matter what location I go to.

You're right about state and main too.

I like Owens landing for vendor lunch because of the big beers and the keg for prime rib and the horse radish!

msommers
05-05-2020, 10:09 AM
^^OJs and Boston Pizza. True, things are certainly consistent.

pheoxs
05-05-2020, 10:17 AM
^^OJs and Boston Pizza. True, things are certainly consistent.

Boston Pizza is so over priced though. If they cut their prices like 30% it'd be a good place to go but not worth it as they are.

rx7boi
05-05-2020, 10:21 AM
I hate New York Fries. Basically just movie theater quality food at movie theater prices.

Glad to see them potentially go, to be honest haha.

Buster
05-05-2020, 10:32 AM
Can't think of a single non- independent restaurant chain that I would care if they disappeared. They will just get replaced by something else. It's the circle of life. The big question coming out of this isn't what happens to each of the firms competing in each of the spaces (restaurants, airlines, etc). The big question is what will happen to demand. If random shitty restaurant chain goes bust, then it is the shareholders that take the hit (and maybe the bondholders/banks). But otherwise as a consumer, we shouldn't really care - demand will create new, hopefully better competitors that aren't weighed down by entrenched companies. Perhaps even we will get actual restaurants taking those lease spaces.

killramos
05-05-2020, 10:37 AM
I like OJ's because I can go there and spend $16 an know exactly what I am going to get, no matter what location I go to.

You're right about state and main too.

I like Owens landing for vendor lunch because of the big beers and the keg for prime rib and the horse radish!

Owens is in our building, love that spot.

Their burger is deadly and big beers always helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't think of a single non- independent restaurant chain that I would care if they disappeared. They will just get replaced by something else. It's the circle of life. The big question coming out of this isn't what happens to each of the firms competing in each of the spaces (restaurants, airlines, etc). The big question is what will happen to demand. If random shitty restaurant chain goes bust, then it is the shareholders that take the hit (and maybe the bondholders/banks). But otherwise as a consumer, we shouldn't really care - demand will create new, hopefully better competitors that aren't weighed down by entrenched companies. Perhaps even we will get actual restaurants taking those lease spaces.

Good point. I am not losing sleep as long as the restaurant gets replaced with something worth trying.

One big thing about OJ’s for me is there a a few of them in smaller centres that become the only place worth eating at. I appreciate them existing. Edson in particular comes to mind when your main alternative is BP’s :barf:

pheoxs
05-05-2020, 10:45 AM

I'll miss Earls, their late night happy hour is pretty good. Original Joes has a few items I quite like as well I guess and a good happy hour too. I think that's about it for me. I'd actually be happy if the Keg goes away so I can convince my dad to go to other upscale places when they wanna go out.

I guess I'd miss mucho burrito as well if they disappeared.

killramos
05-05-2020, 10:47 AM
If Joeys disappeared I think I would be suffering serious marital problems.

ExtraSlow
05-05-2020, 10:49 AM
If Joeys disappeared I think I would be suffering serious marital problems.

Is that where you and the wife shop for thirds?

killramos
05-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Is that where you and the wife shop for thirds?

I may not be in the NE anymore, but I’m not in Airdrie either.

Buster
05-05-2020, 10:51 AM
The Keg is okay. Not as good as it was pre-takeover.

blitz
05-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Swiss Chalet dipping sauce is the bomb. That was the “fancy” restaurant we went to when I was a kid.

killramos
05-10-2020, 11:39 AM
Swiss Chalet dipping sauce is the bomb. That was the “fancy” restaurant we went to when I was a kid.

Haha for some reason I always had it in my head that swiss chalet was fancy when I was a kid too. Went maybe twice.

Olive Garden was my family’s jam.

SKR
05-10-2020, 12:08 PM

What in the hell can you get at OJs for $16? Last time I went I had wings, a steak sandwich and a Guinness and by the time I was done with tax and tip it was $56.

lasimmon
05-10-2020, 12:24 PM
What in the hell can you get at OJs for $16? Last time I went I had wings, a steak sandwich and a Guinness and by the time I was done with tax and tip it was $56.

The sandwiches and wraps are like $16 aren’t they? Maybe $18.

msommers
05-10-2020, 01:01 PM

Same thing when I was a kid. Got myself a Shirley temple too cuz it was fancy as shit :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
05-10-2020, 02:22 PM
I might have given Foody Goody a 5 star review once.

blitz
05-10-2020, 02:24 PM
Same thing when I was a kid. Got myself a Shirley temple too cuz it was fancy as shit :rofl:

Shirley temple was my cocktail of choice too. They also came with those little plastic swords that would fit in an action figures hands.

flipstah
05-10-2020, 02:30 PM
I might have given Foody Goody a 5 star review once.

That’s probably going to a dated concept after this,

“You served yourself and touched utensils?!”

Maxt
05-10-2020, 04:13 PM

I go there for the coffee, its actually really decent.

ThePenIsMightier
05-23-2020, 09:11 AM
I ate food prepared by someone outside of my house for the first time since March 8th.
It was fucking amazing. All it was was pizza and wings but fancier, local pizza. The oil from their real cheese dripped down my chin and I shoved wings into my gullet over the sink! Wow, I've missed restaurant food.

Don't be mean... Many of us have chosen an irrational path to follow during this constant state of fear. I know I'm crazy, on this one. Knowing is half the battle.

Edit - I posted this on the Coronavirus thread initially and it's been moved here. That's why I hadn't eaten at a restaurant in so long.

msommers
05-23-2020, 09:46 AM
^^^May I suggest MSG for home use

max_boost
05-23-2020, 10:14 AM
I ate food prepared by someone outside of my house for the first time since March 8th.
It was fucking amazing. All it was was pizza and wings but fancier, local pizza. The oil from their real cheese dripped down my chin and I shoved wings into my gullet over the sink! Wow, I've missed restaurant food.

Don't be mean... Many of us have chosen an irrational path to follow during this constant state of fear. I know I'm crazy, on this one. Knowing is half the battle.

Speaking of pizza, I had two slices of the Supreme from Pizza Hut two nights ago. I haven't had Pizza Hut in forever and I do not remember their pizza being that deadly. Was it always good or what happened here? It was fkn foodgasm in my mouth.

jutes
05-23-2020, 10:19 AM
On the contrary, I've started to make my own with simple ingredients and pre-made thin dough.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2020, 10:25 AM
Speaking of pizza, I had two slices of the Supreme from Pizza Hut two nights ago. I haven't had Pizza Hut in forever and I do not remember their pizza being that deadly. Was it always good or what happened here? It was fkn foodgasm in my mouth.
It never used to be good. Maybe you are just starved for pizza?

ThePenIsMightier
05-23-2020, 10:34 AM
It never used to be good. Maybe you are just starved for pizza?

I've always loved that one. It's amazing... IF you get it from a good outlet. Pizza Hut has suffered a lot from inconsistent restaurants

max_boost
05-23-2020, 10:41 AM
Um thats exactly what they have done in the past. Its suitcases now, but they also had extra fuel surcharges tacked on top back in the day when they fucked up their predictions on contract fuel pricing.

Ah fair.

And Idk the pizza was just so good. I'm still thinking about it today lol

bjstare
05-23-2020, 11:10 AM
OK, so what Pizza Hut location was this from? The people want to know.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Having a family has ruined take-out pizza for me. My wife likes weird kinds, my kids can't agree on sharing anything, so unless we buy four pizzas, I'm basically just eating whatever the other three don't want.

Tik-Tok
05-23-2020, 11:27 AM
Having a family has ruined take-out pizza for me. My wife likes weird kinds, my kids can't agree on sharing anything, so unless we buy four pizzas, I'm basically just eating whatever the other three don't want.

Papa Murphy's make your own half and half. 12 dollar take'n'bake Tuesdays.

Edit: I recommend the thin crust. Eating a half a large pizza is less than 600kcal, which is just barely enough to satisfy the pizza crave, but leaves more room for beer.

adam c
05-23-2020, 11:28 AM
Have had papa johns a few times, 25off for 25%

killramos
05-23-2020, 11:29 AM

Pizza Hut on 4th NE is good.

17th SW is terrible.

That’s all I’ve got.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2020, 11:31 AM

Haven't tried them. Papa John's is pretty cheap for the kids sizes. We do make your own with naan breads pretty often. In fact that's the menu for today.

spikerS
05-23-2020, 11:39 AM
We do make your own with naan breads pretty often. In fact that's the menu for today.

LOL, we do that too. 6 pack of Naan bread, some squeezable pizza sauce, a few different deli meats and a pack of grated mozza. Kids love em.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-23-2020, 12:24 PM

Edit: I recommend the thin crust. Eating a half a large pizza is less than 600kcal, which is just barely enough to satisfy the pizza crave, but leaves more room for beer.

Agreed! Had Papa Murphy's take-and-bake for the first time the other day and was quite impressed.

ercchry
05-23-2020, 12:35 PM

This is the wrong question, the important information is “what strain were you smoking?” :rofl:

max_boost
05-23-2020, 01:32 PM

10233 Elbow Dr SW :drool:

bjstare
05-23-2020, 05:24 PM

I'd say this post is more reflective of being a dad, than it is a reflection on take-out pizza haha. Substitute pizza in this situation for... well, anything really :rofl:

ExtraSlow
05-23-2020, 05:44 PM
I'd say this post is more reflective of being a dad, than it is a reflection on take-out pizza haha. Substitute pizza in this situation for... well, anything really :rofl:

Oh I'm aware what the culprit is.

JRSC00LUDE
05-23-2020, 06:01 PM

Edit - I posted this on the Coronavirus thread initially and it's been moved here. That's why I hadn't eaten at a restaurant in so long.

Haha that's funny (not in a I'm being my usual cunt self way).

I've eaten out every single day since this started. Fucking death wish!

ExtraSlow
05-23-2020, 06:12 PM
I've eaten out every single day since this started.
Leave your dating life out of it.

killramos
05-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Oh I'm aware what the culprit is.

It’s really your own fault for letting the wife and kids have pizza preferences

ThePenIsMightier
05-23-2020, 06:32 PM
Haha that's funny (not in a I'm being my usual cunt self way).

I've eaten out every single day since this started. Fucking death wish!

It's weird, right?! That's just a line we chose to draw and stuck with it, hard even though there was probably very little risk and it was pretty irrational.
But holy fucking saving money, Batman!! I am swimming in cash and I should've lost weight from so much less pub food but methinks the additional Beer@Home consumption has cancelled that.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2020, 06:38 PM
It’s really your own fault for letting the wife and kids have pizza preferences

At least they ask my permission before getting a coke out of the fridge!

TomcoPDR
05-23-2020, 06:47 PM
At least they ask my permission before getting a coke out of the fridge!

What? Being man of the house, you don’t pad lock your fridge.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2020, 06:50 PM
What? Being man of the house, you don’t pad lock your fridge.

I don't need to, it's called respect.

bjstare
05-23-2020, 07:19 PM
I don't need to, it's called respect.

Says the guy that can't get a pizza he likes.

max_boost
05-23-2020, 08:16 PM
So nice ExtraSlow, if I didn't eat whatever was on the table, I guess I starve and then get the clothes hanger treatment lol

killramos
05-23-2020, 08:26 PM
So nice ExtraSlow, if I didn't eat whatever was on the table, I guess I starve and then get the clothes hanger treatment lol

Man, I always thought the clothes hangar treatment was something VERY different. Unless...

max_boost
05-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Lol you twisted human. The feather duster wasn’t around for some reason lol

bjstare
05-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Pretty hard to do an abortion with a feather duster, no?

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2020, 08:08 PM
Pretty hard to do an abortion with a feather duster, no?

Not if it's used at the top of a flight of stairs to frighten her enough to fall back down them.
LoL dark!

legendboy
06-02-2020, 08:32 PM
Don't care for cheap pizza in general but Pizza Hut Wingstreet wings are pretty decent

heavyD
06-03-2020, 03:14 PM
Swiss Chalet served me one of the worst meals I have ever had. I'm astonished that they have managed to stay in business this long serving such substandard quality food.

Xtrema
06-03-2020, 06:01 PM
Swiss Chalet served me one of the worst meals I have ever had. I'm astonished that they have managed to stay in business this long serving such substandard quality food.

Make Nando's closing hurt that much more.

max_boost
06-03-2020, 06:56 PM
Never had Swiss Chalet lol but there are no in between reviews it seems. Either 1/10 or 10/10 it seems.

I fkn love Nando's tho

Maxt
06-03-2020, 09:25 PM
I only go there for the coffee.

heavyD
06-04-2020, 11:09 AM
Never had Swiss Chalet lol but there are no in between reviews it seems. Either 1/10 or 10/10 it seems.

I fkn love Nando's tho

If you are the type of person that lines up daily in the morning to pay good money for a powdered egg, microwaved ham/sausage/bacon breakfast sandwich from Tim Hortons then Swiss Chalet will be 10/10 for you. If you prefer paying for good food only then Swiss Chalet will be 1/10. The reason there’s no in between is because you either like to pay for shit food or you don’t.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2020, 11:19 AM
Back in the day I thought roasting a chicken was a difficult thing to accomplish. Back then Swiss chalet seemed impressive.

JRSC00LUDE
06-04-2020, 04:16 PM
Back in the day I thought roasting a chicken was a difficult thing to accomplish. Back then Swiss chalet seemed impressive.

Swiss Chalet ceased to be impressive the second Kenny Roger's Roasters opened its doors.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2020, 04:26 PM