PDA

View Full Version : buyer wants to back out of a car deal AFTER giving me the cash. #whatwouldbeyondo

Pages : [1] 2

Buster
05-05-2020, 07:36 PM
So I sold my car, agreed price, the money was wired to my account in full. I was preparing the transport and sorting out the bill of sale, etc, and the guy emailed me asking to cancel the deal.

What would you do?

a) Tell him to stuff it - a deal is a deal

b) give him the money back

c) keep a portion as a deposit (if so how much?)

yipb
05-05-2020, 07:39 PM
If you can easily sell the car then c. If not then a or c

killramos
05-05-2020, 07:46 PM
Lie and tell him you already committed to transport and are on the hook for it so the car is coming his way. He is free to relist it.

What kind of bozo sends the full amount then renegs. Poor bastard must be in a Crunch.

revelations
05-05-2020, 07:48 PM
So I sold my car, agreed price, the money was wired to my account in full. I was preparing the transport and sorting out the bill of sale, etc, and the guy emailed me asking to cancel the deal.

What would you do?

a) Tell him to stuff it - a deal is a deal

b) give him the money back

c) keep a portion as a deposit (if so how much?)

That's a tough one - but if you decide to keep it, bill for your time etc.

I had something similar happen and the buyer ended up paying about 300$ (left a deposit) from a $15,000 sale.

Buster
05-05-2020, 07:54 PM
That's a tough one - but if you decide to keep it, bill for your time etc.

I had something similar happen and the buyer ended up paying about 300$ (left a deposit) from a $15,000 sale.

This is a $100k deal. It's going to be expensive for him.

ThePenIsMightier
05-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Offer c) and I think minimum 5%. He's got to feel a sting and you've got to be confident you can sell it again without taking a loss compared to the as-sold price. You may still only get 95% from your next buyer.

Is there any tiny chance this is a scam? If you refund the full money, could he possibly make a claim that the car was sold to him and get a claim on the title?
I don't think so... But this behaviour is very odd.

Clever
05-05-2020, 07:56 PM
Did he give you a reason for backing out? At the very least option C, I would be more pissed about wasting my time more than anything.

adam c
05-05-2020, 07:56 PM
This is a $100k deal. It's going to be expensive for him.

Keeping 2-5% on 100k deal seems reasonable

03ozwhip
05-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Did he give you a reason for backing out? At the very least option C, I would be more pissed about wasting my time more than anything.

And potential buyers in the meantime. Fucking hell I hate people.

ExtraSlow
05-05-2020, 07:58 PM
Is there any tiny chance this is a scam? If you refund the full money, could he possibly make a claim that the car was sold to him and get a claim on the title?

Yeah, don't send him money for like 10 business days minimum, there's probably nothing afoot, but there are ways to perpetuate fraud in this manner.

D'z Nutz
05-05-2020, 07:58 PM
If you can easily sell the car then c. If not then a or c

Yeah, this is what I'd do.

If it's hard to sell, tell him tough luck. If it's easy to sell and you're anxious to get rid of it, take a cut and deduct that from the sale price to make it more enticing for the next guy.

renegs

heh heh heh

KUM0rl9pL2c

ThePenIsMightier
05-05-2020, 08:07 PM
Yeah, this is what I'd do.

If it's hard to sell, tell him tough luck. If it's easy to sell and you're anxious to get rid of it, take a cut and deduct that from the sale price to make it more enticing for the next guy....]

$100k private sales aren't easy to come by. Places like Weissach likely take at least 10% and Ferrari would take 20% if you consign there.

This sucks!

ExtraSlow
05-05-2020, 08:08 PM
You have a signed bill of sale? That's a contract.

killramos
05-05-2020, 08:12 PM
This is for the AMG GT?

I say keep 5-10k and drive it for another year for free.

ThePenIsMightier
05-05-2020, 08:12 PM

I think I'm smelling what you're stepping in.
Aaawwww FORWARD LOOKING COMPENSATORY MECHANISM, BITCHES!!!!!
LoL!

rage2
05-05-2020, 08:17 PM
A. Ship the car. Tell him it’s a YP not a MP.

Buster
05-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Offer c) and I think minimum 5%. He's got to feel a sting and you've got to be confident you can sell it again without taking a loss compared to the as-sold price. You may still only get 95% from your next buyer.

I'm viewing it as a "time+damages" situation. I am going to confirm with the bank that the wire was non-reversible. It definitely came into my account labelled as a "wire" which are generally considered difficult or impossible to reverse.

And potential buyers in the meantime. Fucking hell I hate people.

Yes, potential buyers. Some of the shit I've seen in my work life would make your eyes water.

Yeah, don't send him money for like 10 business days minimum, there's probably nothing afoot, but there are ways to perpetuate fraud in this manner.

That's a good plan, and I want to ensure the bank is onboard with the funds being totally cleaer.

No bill of sale, but enough communication to ensure that the deal is done. Possession is 9/10s of the law, and I have a car and a lot of cash, so I don't think he can ask for the money back on a verbal agreement.
Bill of sale is signed on my end, but I haven't sent it to him

This is for the AMG GT?

I say keep 5-10k and drive it for another year for free.

Maybe. I think his damage will end up being in the $5k range.

I told him that I would "help if I could" and would see if some of the other buyers were still interested.

ExtraSlow
05-05-2020, 08:27 PM
Either way, don't send him the money until you sell the car. Fuck him, maybe in three or four weeks he'll decide he wants the car.

dirtsniffer
05-05-2020, 08:27 PM
I'd be hesitant in trying to assign damages if you haven't incurred them. Send him the bill of sale or cancel the deal. You could offer to buy it back from him for $95k if you so choose.

If he refuses to take delivery I would consult a lawyer. You could set up a deal where the money is put in trust and you work to sell the vehicle for a fair price in a reasonable time. You get the new offer and a top up to $100k, he gets returned the remainder

revelations
05-05-2020, 08:37 PM
It sounds like if you threaten to shave enough off the top - 10-15% for eg - buyer might reconsider backing out.

I cant believe someone would just wire you 100k though - without any guarantees of possession - that amount takes weeks to clear usually.

I would have worked with some kind of escrow setup at that price range.

ExtraSlow
05-05-2020, 08:50 PM
I would be having a long talk with a manager at the bank, of the fraud department, to ensure you aren't being fucked here. I wouldn't be taking it from any teller.

tirebob
05-05-2020, 08:53 PM

This! Be careful man... Wire transfer stuff can be scammy but not sure of the specific details of course. Tell him he bought the car. If he wants to leave it with you until it is sold again you will send back his money less your commission fee, unless of course the money is confirmed legit and his family is going to leave him over it and you GAF and feel bad. Otherwise, he bought a car.

lilmira
05-05-2020, 08:55 PM
help the guy out within reason if you can. his wife must be really hot or strong

Buster
05-05-2020, 08:56 PM
I've talked to him on skype numerous times and I know who he is through some professional connections. It's unlikely a fraud but I'm going to be carful.

npham
05-05-2020, 09:36 PM
5% is likely not enough IMO. Can't be easy to move a 100k car in this economy.

msommers
05-05-2020, 09:54 PM
Keep money, send car. This was an apparent 100K impulse buy. Not your problem now that you have the funds.

If multiple people were chomping to buy the car and getting another buyer was easy, then fine option C (15%).

More often than not, I'm a stick in the mud with this kind of stuff. A deal is a deal.

got_mike33
05-05-2020, 10:20 PM
I swear this happened before on Beyond. Some young kid bought a Corvette and wanted to return it to the Beyonder, but I can't find the thread.

D'z Nutz
05-05-2020, 10:22 PM

Buster sold an orange Corvette?

SKR
05-05-2020, 10:39 PM

I don't know this industry jargon.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-05-2020, 10:41 PM
I don't know this industry jargon.

You Problem, not a Me Problem. Dang kids and their hip slangs.

Personally, the only tactic I've tried in a buyer-tries-to-back-out-of-completed-car-sale situation is to engage in a shouting match with them on your front lawn. I'm 1/1 so far, so clearly this is your best option.

revelations
05-05-2020, 10:41 PM
You problem/my problem?

mazdavirgin
05-05-2020, 10:51 PM
Money laundering?

lasimmon
05-05-2020, 10:55 PM
Without an executed agreement I’d be wary of keeping a large amount. A couple % to cover costs.

Is sending the car without a signed bill of sale an option? I’m not sure i would.

ThePenIsMightier
05-05-2020, 10:58 PM
Personally, the only tactic I've tried in a buyer-tries-to-back-out-of-completed-car-sale situation is to engage in a shouting match with them on your front lawn. I'm 1/1 so far, so clearly this is your best option.

LoL!! That sounds hilarious! This is golden advice but it should be a requirement that both combatants be adorned in Wife Beater shirts.

And be White Trash, but now we're entering the entrance of the Department of Redundancy Department.

ThePenIsMightier
05-05-2020, 11:01 PM
Without an executed agreement I’d be wary of keeping a large amount. A couple % to cover costs.

Is sending the car without a signed bill of sale an option? I’m not sure i would.

He's not "keeping" anything. The buyer has to agree to take this hit, or execute the existing, binding contract.

He's welcomed to not agree to it - at which point he's presented with the keys to the car he bought but suddenly wants to weasel out of.

shakalaka
05-05-2020, 11:06 PM
Everyone is forgetting that Buster knows this guy through some professional connections. So there are at least some arms length relationship and mutual connections in existence. Which means it's not likely to be a scam. Once that is ascertained for sure to be the case, I would suggest delving into the reasoning as to why the sale is being backed out of. If it's something like I found a better deal elsewhere on the same vehicle, then something maybe able to get worked out. If it's something like, my life will come to an end if I go ahead with it then it's your call as to how much you want to help someone out. I'd definitely keep a deposit, depending on the time and effort, I'd say 5% is reasonable.

If someone was dropping $100K cash on a car, more likely than not they either found a better deal or a better investment for their money as opposed to being in dire financial need to keep living their lives.

All that being said, strictly speaking as far as the legal side of things are concerned, there seems to be an offer and acceptance, i.e., there is a legally binding contract. Send the car, let him re-sell if that's what he needs to do. But all depends on what sort of mutual connections are in existence and if that move would harm you in some way down the line.

PS: This is not legal advise.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-05-2020, 11:13 PM
LoL!! That sounds hilarious! This is golden advice but it should be a requirement that both combatants be adorned in Wife Beater shirts.

And be White Trash, but now we're entering the entrance of the Department of Redundancy Department.

Well, if the gravy-stained undershirt fits....

schurchill39
05-05-2020, 11:16 PM
Everyone is forgetting that Buster knows this guy through some professional connections. So there are at least some arms length relationship and mutual connections in existence. Which means it's not likely to be a scam. Once that is ascertained for sure to be the case, I would suggest delving into the reasoning as to why the sale is being backed out of. If it's something like I found a better deal elsewhere on the same vehicle, then something maybe able to get worked out. If it's something like, my life will come to an end if I go ahead with it then it's your call as to how much you want to help someone out. I'd definitely keep a deposit, depending on the time and effort, I'd say 5% is reasonable.

If someone was dropping $100K cash on a car, more likely than not they either found a better deal or a better investment for their money as opposed to being in dire financial need to keep living their lives.

All that being said, strictly speaking as far as the legal side of things are concerned, there seems to be an offer and acceptance, i.e., there is a legally binding contract. Send the car, let him re-sell if that's what he needs to do. But all depends on what sort of mutual connections are in existence and if that move would harm you in some way down the line.

I like the sounds of shakalaka's not legal advise.

bjstare
05-06-2020, 07:06 AM
It would be an easy A if you didn't have personal connections with the buyer. I would try and preserve reputation if there was any risk, so C is probably best path forward.

Buster
05-06-2020, 07:55 AM
I'm not sure if I'm even legally allowed to do c if i technically no longer own the car. Ugh.

ThePenIsMightier
05-06-2020, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure if I'm even legally allowed to do c if i technically no longer own the car. Ugh.

It's a separate transaction. You sell him a video of you clearly shredding the Bill Of Sale for the low, low price of $6,500 (or whatever price you put on it taking another few months to sell this vehicle).

pheoxs
05-06-2020, 08:04 AM
Wire funds then ask for money back? tbh sounds like a scam

Edit: Guess they have indirect professional connection. Depends how much that is worth vs the sale of a asset that'll probably be worth less if you try to find a new buyer now

rage2
05-06-2020, 08:09 AM
There are so many risks with b and c, regardless if you know the guy or not. I mean if you really want to be a nice guy and pursue b and c, then do up another bill of sale to protect yourself. Get all that shit signed.

I wouldn't even bother even if it's a friend. So many ways it can go south.

Cagare
05-06-2020, 08:10 AM
Wait, did you make the deal before the shit hit the fan with Covid? If so, keep a larger deposit, at least 10%.

State that the deposit will be to cover the difference in sale price to another party. I would fear that selling it not may be challenging, but I could be wrong given the car.

killramos
05-06-2020, 08:11 AM
Presumably he can sell it for more where he is otherwise why would he be buying one from Alberta?

Swank
05-06-2020, 09:09 AM
What does the reason matter? People lie regardless of connections. Smells like he's trying to let his buyer's remorse be your problem. Let him re-sell.

redblack
05-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Deal is done, send him the car and it’s up to him to keep it or sell it.

nismodrifter
05-06-2020, 09:42 AM
Car is sold. Deal is done. He can deal with it. Don't waste a second more of your time on this.

JRSC00LUDE
05-06-2020, 09:44 AM
Car is sold. Deal is done. He can deal with it. Don't waste a second more of your time on this.

This.

flipstah
05-06-2020, 09:46 AM
I thought you need a signed bill of sale from both parties to constitute a vehicle sale?

tonytiger55
05-06-2020, 10:21 AM

I would partially side with this.
If someone has 100K and can drop that moola on a depreciating asset. Take a moment and assess the person, character and who they are.
They may have business connections and reputation can be a big thing here. Later down the line will it hurt you? The economy is tanking and you may need some of those connections later down the line.
On the flip side, you are sitting on the cash. You have to be a shark in this world if you want to be top dog. The other party made a poor decisions. Maybe their wife found out. Who knows..?

Its a shitty situation. If it helps, you can park the car with me for for a few days. So nether of you have the car, it can help clear both your heads for a bit.
Then I take my girlfriend out for a spin in the car and return it back after. At that point you and the other party will will know what they want to do and my girlfriend thinks im gangsta. Its a win win for all. Hell, I'l even leave my prized Japanese classic 2002 with you as security.

In seriousness...if you do decide to return the money. As others have said wait on the cash and talk to a senior member in the bank.

bjstare
05-06-2020, 10:26 AM
There you have it Buster, you gotta be a shark before you can be a dog. Hopefully that answers your question.

lilmira
05-06-2020, 10:35 AM
You have to let the peacock fly

Buster
05-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Wait, did you make the deal before the shit hit the fan with Covid? If so, keep a larger deposit, at least 10%.

State that the deposit will be to cover the difference in sale price to another party. I would fear that selling it not may be challenging, but I could be wrong given the car.

Post Covid. Lots of people with cash out there still. Covid has made a lot of HNW people bored at home window shopping cars. Lots of lowballers though, more than usual, thinking people are desperate.

What does the reason matter? People lie regardless of connections. Smells like he's trying to let his buyer's remorse be your problem. Let him re-sell.

This is close, yes.

Deal is done, send him the car and it’s up to him to keep it or sell it.

I have never really considered b), and I made that clear to him. Just curious how many people here would have done that.

I would partially side with this.
If someone has 100K and can drop that moola on a depreciating asset. Take a moment and assess the person, character and who they are.
They may have business connections and reputation can be a big thing here. Later down the line will it hurt you? The economy is tanking and you may need some of those connections later down the line.
On the flip side, you are sitting on the cash. You have to be a shark in this world if you want to be top dog. The other party made a poor decisions. Maybe their wife found out. Who knows..?

Its a shitty situation. If it helps, you can park the car with me for for a few days. So nether of you have the car, it can help clear both your heads for a bit.
Then I take my girlfriend out for a spin in the car and return it back after. At that point you and the other party will will know what they want to do and my girlfriend thinks im gangsta. Its a win win for all. Hell, I'l even leave my prized Japanese classic 2002 with you as security.

In seriousness...if you do decide to return the money. As others have said wait on the cash and talk to a senior member in the bank.

Insert beyond joke here: If you GF wants a ride, tell her to call me. :P

Alternative: post pics of GF

There you have it Buster, you gotta be a shark before you can be a dog. Hopefully that answers your question.

I've been fortunate to be the shark more than the shark-ed, but you always gotta watch your back.

2Legit2Quit
05-06-2020, 10:40 AM
All good opinions have already been covered, it's not a teenager backing out on a Honda Civic, I'd be up front and ask what his reasoning is? Change of heart or something life changing the requires the back out?

Very weird situation in general, let alone for $100k. I'd be extremely wary even if it was $10-20k.

After sorting out the legality and money transfer risks I'd probably tell him I'm keeping $5k and give him back the rest.

jaylo
05-06-2020, 11:05 AM
I do agree with a lawyer being the middle man, shall Buster agree to reverse the transaction.

The buyer pays for the lawyer's fees.

lilmira
05-06-2020, 11:20 AM
Perhaps just line him up with the other local buyers. May be he can sell it quick with minimal loss and save the shipping. The original deal is done, no risk to you. Let him deal with the second sale.

Pacman
05-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Perhaps just line him up with the other local buyers. May be he can sell it quick with minimal loss and save the shipping. The original deal is done, no risk to you. Let him deal with the second sale.

that's a fair suggestion. Seller can connect the new owner with the other interested parties and try to help him out.

you&me
05-06-2020, 11:46 AM
I find it really strange that the buyer sent the funds without having a signed copy of the bill of sale. I wouldn't be sending funds to someone without knowing that we actually had a deal (as indicated by the seller's signature on the contract). Kinda weird he already even had your wire instructions at that stage...

bjstare
05-06-2020, 12:05 PM
I find it really strange that the buyer sent the funds without having a signed copy of the bill of sale. I wouldn't be sending funds to someone without knowing that we actually had a deal (as indicated by the seller's signature on the contract). Kinda weird he already even had your wire instructions at that stage...

This is true. I was talking to a couple people from Vancouver interested in my S2000, and one of them wanted to do deposit confirmation through docusign. And that's for a ~20k car.

rage2
05-06-2020, 12:44 PM
It’s a matter of trust and due diligence. I wired a guy in Hong Kong $40k for a watch that I didn’t pick up in person for 3 weeks.

Masked Bandit
05-06-2020, 12:48 PM
There was an offer & acceptance plus payment. The car is his, deal is done.

you&me
05-06-2020, 12:59 PM
It’s a matter of trust and due diligence. I wired a guy in Hong Kong $40k for a watch that I didn’t pick up in person for 3 weeks.

And I've seen even crazier things. The point is, in the normal course of business / a car deal where a buyer and seller aren't physically meeting, typically agreement is drafted with terms, the buyer signs, sends payment info (i.e. wire instructions) along with signed agreement, buyer signs and then pays... It might not be unheard of, but it's certainly not normal.

Buster
05-06-2020, 01:13 PM
And I've seen even crazier things. The point is, in the normal course of business / a car deal where a buyer and seller aren't physically meeting, typically agreement is drafted with terms, the buyer signs, sends payment info (i.e. wire instructions) along with signed agreement, buyer signs and then pays... It might not be unheard of, but it's certainly not normal.

In the absence of working through lawyers in trust, I have never signed a bill of sale prior to getting the cash. Cash up front before documents and before transport. Or no deal.

tonytiger55
05-06-2020, 02:48 PM

Not to derail the thread. But can we have a pic or link to the watch please?

Thaco
05-06-2020, 03:40 PM
i'd send him the car, not worth the chance of fraud.. give him some BS excuse like you've already committed that money to your new car and the dealer wont let you back out.

D'z Nutz
05-06-2020, 03:57 PM
Why do you guys feel like Buster needs to provide an excuse to keep the money? The only reason he should give is the only one he needs: a deal's a deal.

googe
05-06-2020, 04:25 PM
Well in the minority here, but if you have no damages and there was realistically no opportunity cost, and you haven’t shipped it yet, I’d just give the money back. It’s not worth it. If you have damages, I’d subtract them. If it’s priced reasonably, you’ll get another offer, and maybe even a better one.

Sure if he’s buying a 100k car he can’t be hurting, but the same can be said for the seller. Nobody is hurting here.

I wouldn’t just keep an arbitrary amount though. Kinda comes across as a shady cash grab and probably more trouble than it’s worth. If you want to go that route, I’d ask him what he thinks is fair compensation. Maybe he’ll volunteer to toss you something. Especially since he will realize you don’t have to give him anything back.

Thaco
05-06-2020, 04:26 PM
Why do you guys feel like Buster needs to provide an excuse to keep the money? The only reason he should give is the only one he needs: a deal's a deal.

because its a little less dickish... its not difficult to make someone's life hell for being an asshole....

- - - Updated - - -

Well in the minority here, but if you have no damages and there was realistically no opportunity cost, and you haven’t shipped it yet, I’d just give the money back. It’s not worth it. If you have damages, I’d subtract them. If it’s priced reasonably, you’ll get another offer, and maybe even a better one.

Sure if he’s buying a 100k car he can’t be hurting, but the same can be said for the seller. Nobody is hurting here.

I wouldn’t just keep an arbitrary amount though. Kinda comes across as a shady cash grab and probably more trouble than it’s worth. If you want to go that route, I’d ask him what he thinks is fair compensation. Maybe he’ll volunteer to toss you something. Especially since he will realize you don’t have to give him anything back.

this is textbook scam, send someone a ton of money and then ask for it back, then the first payment bounces back a couple weeks later.

Team_Mclaren
05-06-2020, 04:28 PM
A deal is done.

btw: It's funny how many people say the deal is done here, what if buster was a dealer, what would people say? lol

Buster
05-06-2020, 04:33 PM
because its a little less dickish... its not difficult to make someone's life hell for being an asshole....

- - - Updated - - -

this is textbook scam, send someone a ton of money and then ask for it back, then the first payment bounces back a couple weeks later.

i confirmed with my bank that the wire is irreversible.

rage2
05-06-2020, 04:34 PM
A deal is done.

btw: It's funny how many people say the deal is done here, what if buster was a dealer, what would people say? lol
I'd still say the deal is done.

Buster
05-06-2020, 04:38 PM
Question: what if he refuses to actually COLLECT the car.

dj_rice
05-06-2020, 04:46 PM
Question: what if he refuses to actually COLLECT the car.

At the dealership, in 2013, customer purchased and paid for a 2014 C63 but never came and picked it up. Believe he was an over-seas customer from China/HK. Sat on the storage lot for years. Not sure the details in the background, but they sold it again in 2018 as used.

Buster
05-06-2020, 04:52 PM
At the dealership, in 2013, customer purchased and paid for a 2014 C63 but never came and picked it up. Believe he was an over-seas customer from China/HK. Sat on the storage lot for years. Not sure the details in the background, but they sold it again in 2018 as used.

Does an abandoned car eventually revert to the storage owner?

lilmira
05-06-2020, 05:02 PM
Didn't some people used to buy cheap cars and drive it for a bit without registering and then abandon. The car would get towed and the city would send notice to the last registered owner. You can get off the hook as long as you can prove that you no longer own the car. I don't know what the city would do to the car. Of course, it would be a bit unusual for a 100k car.

Xtrema
05-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Given you have done this deal during country wide lockdown, has the value of your GT dropped significantly? Can you hold on to the difference, say when the deal was signed until today, drop is 8%?

Or can you sell it again and keep refund only what you get from the new sold price?

But if it's legally his, shouldn't that be his problem?

Thaco
05-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Does an abandoned car eventually revert to the storage owner?

i think there is some clause for reasonable storage fees and when that exceeds the value of the goods then the storage lot can sell it to recover costs

Kloubek
05-06-2020, 08:40 PM
The first sale of my corvette went to a younger kid who, as soon as he brought it home, his parents said no way. He asked to bring it back and get his money back.

It was entirely my right to say too bad, but the idea of keeping a small deposit seemed reasonable. He offered me a grand to take it back. We settled on 500.

Seems you take a small fee for your trouble, and move on.

90_Shelby
05-06-2020, 11:10 PM
Can you give him the option to either:

a) take the care, you could even cover the shipping cost, and if he doesn’t want it, he can resell it.

Or

b) you keep the money and hold it until the car sells to a different buyer. If it doesn’t sell for the same amount, you keep the difference.

You have cash in hand, the car is sold. The above recommendations are reasonable solutions to protect yourself from him reneging on the deal.

Disoblige
05-06-2020, 11:25 PM
A deal is done.

People would rag on the buyer for being a moron paying for the car and then refuse to pick it up.

The_Rural_Juror
05-07-2020, 12:11 AM
IANAL. Your obligation is to ship the vehicle, so do that and ghost him like you ghosted me on Tinder. This is definitely may could sometimes be legal advice.

Darkane
05-07-2020, 07:36 AM
It was entirely my right to say too bad, but the idea of keeping a small deposit seemed reasonable. He offered me a grand to take it back. We settled on 500.

I’m not rocket surgeon, but I don’t think that’s how negotiation works.

msommers
05-07-2020, 07:51 AM
Maybe it's my pessimism here...

If Buster and the buyer know each other professionally through the grapevine and are concerned about that relationship....if this guy is asking for the money back after dropping 100K on impulse...to me it seems like he doesn't care about how he looks to Buster?

Disoblige
05-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Someone here could offer Buster 85k, he shaves off $15k from first buyer, win-win for all Beyonders involved if it works out.

:rofl:

ThePenIsMightier
05-07-2020, 08:04 AM
People would rag on the buyer for being a moron paying for the car and then refuse to pick it up.

No - because Buster is popular, they'd launch a social media assault on the dealer "for screwing over my homie". Google and Yelp ratings would plummet. Angry Facebook posts would rain down on them. Someone would "have a connection in the media" and a paralegal/variant would mysteriously offer some free services to "make this right".

RoFL! "Fair is fair...... Unless it fucks me over in the slightest way!"

roopi
05-07-2020, 11:05 AM

vengie
05-07-2020, 11:29 AM

One of the best comments I've read on here in quite some time.

Rocket1k78
05-07-2020, 11:31 AM
If it was a deal with a random id be telling the buyer where to pick up his car but since they kinda know each other professionally its not so straight forward. I see the side where this could potentially jeopardize future dealings and with that type of financial circle i definitely wouldnt want to be burning bridges. Busters not in the wrong here at all but the buyer could totally throw him under the bus and make him sound like the pos. I hope one day i get to have this problem trying to sell my super car

Marth 101:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Buster
05-07-2020, 11:32 AM
The first sale of my corvette went to a younger kid who, as soon as he brought it home, his parents said no way. He asked to bring it back and get his money back.

Seems you take a small fee for your trouble, and move on.

That's pretty nice of you. I bet the lesson he didn't learn cost him even more down the road. Maybe he ended up sending $100K to a guy assuming that car purchases are like buying a toaster oven at Walmart.

shakalaka
05-07-2020, 11:39 AM

LOL

This deserves rep as I had the exact same thought. But I guess Kloubek was being nice.

jaylo
05-07-2020, 11:39 AM
100K is quite a big chunk of change. IMO, I would buy some stocks right now (while it is down) and make profit compared to holding on to the vehicle that depreciates every month.

shakalaka
05-07-2020, 11:43 AM
100K is quite a big chunk of change. IMO, I would buy some stocks right now (while it is down) and make profit compared to holding on to the vehicle that depreciates every month.

You know I always struggle with this and always get lectured by family on spending habits etc. Where do you draw the line?

When is it a GOOD time to spend $100K plus on a car? When you're a millionaire? When you're a multi-millionaire? What if you are dead by then?

There is NEVER going to be a good time to splurge on something that's not an investment if all you always want to do is keep saving and making more $. Which is great if that tickles your pickle. But at some point, you have to do what makes you happy and if cars or watches or whatever is one of those things then fuck it. Sure you will save less or make less, but the enjoyment you get out of that is priceless IMO.

Just gotta strike a balance is what I always say. Don't bankrupt yourself. Have your enjoyment within reason all the while doing some investments on the side.

My dad's lectures were always like, "keep saving until you have lots and then you can buy whatever car you want". Like what if I am Kobe'd by then? What if my fucking knees don't work and I can't get in and out of a supercar by then?

I know I can be a lot 'smarter' with money but really do what makes you happy and not what you think you should do.

Anyway, I digress lol. Maybe Buster can send this to the buyer if he's having second thoughts about spending $. Haha.

PS: This is not legal advise. :angel:

killramos
05-07-2020, 11:53 AM
That's pretty nice of you. I bet the lesson he didn't learn cost him even more down the road. Maybe he ended up sending $100K to a guy assuming that car purchases are like buying a toaster oven at Walmart.

JRSC00LUDE
05-07-2020, 12:29 PM

Yes.

There was an offer & acceptance plus payment. The car is his, deal is done.

Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Then I guess the purchaser shouldn't be an asshole. If you can't commit to spending 100K here's a thought, don't make a deal and deliver the fucking money. This isn't Buster's fault.

D'z Nutz
05-07-2020, 01:08 PM
PS: This is not legal advise. :angel:

My advice? Don't listen to a lawyer who doesn't know the difference between advise and advice.

ThePenIsMightier
05-07-2020, 01:12 PM
My advice? Don't listen to a lawyer who doesn't know the difference between advise and advice.

Herr Grammar Nazi haz arrived!
+Rep

The_Rural_Juror
05-07-2020, 01:15 PM
So Kloubek is the villain in this story here. If only he would have taught the kid a fine lesson, I wouldn't be able to purchase an AMG GT for $50k for delivery tonight.

Disoblige
05-07-2020, 01:19 PM
So Kloubek is the villain in this story here. If only he would have taught the kid a fine lesson, I wouldn't be able to purchase an AMG GT for $50k for delivery tonight.
Damn, all this time I thought ddduke/dropdat was a jerk. He just taught me a fine lesson in not making bets with douchebags.

bjstare
05-07-2020, 01:20 PM

Unless the buyer is a very poor money manager this shouldn't be a "one or the other" scenario.