PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Jeep Wrangler IIHS testing

speedog
05-10-2020, 08:34 AM
The latest version of the Jeep Wrangler (2018 and newer) only gets a marginal rating in the offset crash test, previous version was a good rating. What's more interesting is this was only discovered by the IIHS due to a random audit whereas the Wrangler happened to be picked - the manufacturer never made any mention of what the IIHS experienced and manufacturers are allowed to submit their own independent crash test results to the IIHS for safety ratings as the IIHS does not test every vehicle model made.

So one has to wonder how many other vehicle models are out there that really don't live up to their IIHS safety rating due to manufacturer safety reporting self compliance?

The news article here (https://driving.ca/jeep/wrangler/auto-news/news/2019-jeep-wrangler-flips-twice-during-iihs-crash-testing) and the video...

https://youtu.be/bqWuYc6d7-E

ExtraSlow
05-10-2020, 08:47 AM
That video makes me laugh, even though clearly, it's no laughing matter. Does this mean IIHS will be auditing more FCA autos now that they've been caught cheating a-la "dieselgate"?

J-D
05-10-2020, 09:20 AM
The new-for-2018 Wrangler was originally eligible for a safety rating based on data supplied by the manufacturer because the model’s previous generation earned a ‘Good’ rating. In docs submitted by Fiat Chrysler, the Wrangler did not tip over. Under a verification program, IIHS conducts audit tests of some vehicles to ensure program integrity. The Wrangler was selected for one of these audit tests, both of which ended with the vehicle tipping over.

I love how the US is just moving towards Boeing certifying the safety of their planes and FCA certifying the safety of their cars :barf:

Tik-Tok
05-10-2020, 09:23 AM
I had no idea IIHS doesn't test all vehicles. I just assumed their ratings were from their own testing.

The Jeep isn't surprising though, I mean, no one buys a Wrangler for safety.

speedog
05-10-2020, 09:30 AM
A long but good read about IIHS' testing from their web site, https://www.iihs.org/ratings/about-our-tests

benyl
05-10-2020, 10:07 AM
That video makes me laugh, even though clearly, it's no laughing matter. Does this mean IIHS will be auditing more FCA autos now that they've been caught cheating a-la "dieselgate"?

The IIHS rating doesn’t mean anything. It’s like a consumer reports rating.

The NHTSA the official body in the US. https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

Pretty sure they test all cars.

killramos
05-10-2020, 10:30 AM
I had no idea IIHS doesn't test all vehicles. I just assumed their ratings were from their own testing.

+1 on both points.

speedog
05-10-2020, 10:32 AM
The IIHS rating doesn’t mean anything. It’s like a consumer reports rating.

The NHTSA the official body in the US. https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

Pretty sure they test all cars.

Only one Chevrolet for 2020.

Darell_n
05-10-2020, 12:15 PM
The Jeep test actually looked really good to me, if one ignores the roll-over. The passenger compartment held up very good compared a lot of the small offset crash videos. A good one is the Toyota Sienna or any mini-van really. Someone’s probably dead in those.

speedog
05-10-2020, 12:23 PM
The Jeep test actually looked really good to me, if one ignores the roll-over. The passenger compartment held up very good compared a lot of the small offset crash videos. A good one is the Toyota Sienna or any mini-van really. Someone’s probably dead in those.

But you can't really ignore the rollover, unsecured shit is gonna get tossed around which will greatly increase the risk of injury. The pre-3018 model didn't roll over so what changed.

killramos
05-10-2020, 12:50 PM
As a guy who has watched a lot of Jeep videos, no one should be surprised that a Jeep tips over in anything north of a brisk breeze let alone a collision.

Doubt they are that dangerous to the occupants though

speedog
05-10-2020, 01:40 PM
2017 to 2018 changes - weight was also cut by using hollow track and stabilizer bars and aluminum steering gear. Could those changes have made the difference?

revelations
05-10-2020, 02:06 PM

People buy SUVs all the time for perceived safety - more metal - but then fail to realize that the 'more metal' mindset, and the basic laws of physics, also causes more single vehicle accidents, like this one.

ExtraSlow
05-10-2020, 02:08 PM
You can tell the Jeep and former Jeep crowd by who says : "that video looks fine to me"

Tik-Tok
05-10-2020, 02:30 PM
You can tell the Jeep and former Jeep crowd by who says : "that video looks fine to me"

Well, it is driving in a straight line. That's the best case scenario for a Wrangler.

Darell_n
05-10-2020, 04:04 PM

Nope. I have never considered owning one. Haven't actually been in a Wrangler in the last 25 years, but I tip over my side-by-side once or twice a year so it doesn't bother me much.

killramos
05-10-2020, 04:17 PM

Yup. Standard Jeep Operating procedure.