PDA

View Full Version : Local grocery stores

dirtsniffer
05-17-2020, 10:41 PM
Personal goal is to try to keep more money in western Canada and groceries is probably my biggest budget item that I have some flexibility over.

Where do you like to shop local? My favorite so far is the italian center in willow park. I think coop counts as local too so I think im going to work them into the mix. Been buying what little gas ive needed there to support them as well.

flipstah
05-18-2020, 05:22 AM
Lina’s Italian Market

For me I shop at the Korean grocery stores like A Mart as well.

tirebob
05-18-2020, 07:56 AM
I have shopped COOP for years. I always try and buy groceries as close to home grown, produced, boxed, whatever. Obviously not always possible, but as much as I can get is selected in the following order of production. First from Alberta, then Canada, then US then wherever I trust the product from most. Buying from local farm direct is awesome too. I like to get eggs from the kids down the road who raise their own chickens, veggies from farmer markets when they are local and in season, meat sometimes farmer direct etc.

BigDL
05-18-2020, 08:33 AM
Lina’s Italian Market

For me I shop at the Korean grocery stores like A Mart as well.

The new A Mart in Royal Oak just opened, though I like E Mart better.

bigbadboss101
05-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Plan to go check out A Mart. We also go to the farmers market for bones, some veggies, bacon etc.

rage2
05-18-2020, 09:21 AM
Anyone know if any stores are carrying US steaks because of the shortage? Sobeys was only carrying US ground beef and burgers.

ThePenIsMightier
05-18-2020, 09:43 AM
I like this idea. Western Canada > all. Please consider buying things that are from anywhere except China.

I suppose it's worth noting that the Save On Foods chain is owned by self-made billionaire, Jimmy Pattison. He is a Westerner.

Darell_n
05-18-2020, 11:49 AM
Read a news article this morning about London Drugs now carries food from 20 local food suppliers in their Local Central section. Might be worth checking out.

Edit: Actually is looks like 20 companies across the country, Calgary location are sell Bear Bait Honey.

killramos
05-18-2020, 12:19 PM
Italian Center Shop isn’t bad and owned out of Edmonton

I know linas has changed owned several times recently. Not sure if it’s still local or not.

dirtsniffer
05-18-2020, 02:52 PM
Italian Center Shop isn’t bad and owned out of Edmonton

I know linas has changed owned several times recently. Not sure if it’s still local or not.

I'm really into the deli at the Italian centre. I think it's the same price as any chain but with a way bigger selection. Great mushroom selection too. Haven't bought fresh meat there yet though.

Hmmm maybe I'll hit up the dry aged locker at coop this afternoon.

msommers
05-18-2020, 07:52 PM
The Italian Centre is amazing

Darell_n
05-18-2020, 07:55 PM
The Italian Centre is amazing

Lucky for everyone, there is plans to build a second location in Calgary.

jwslam
05-19-2020, 09:37 AM
Nobody's been to "The Italian Store (http://www.italianstore.ca/)" McKnight and Deerfoot?

I only randomly saw it one time when I was in a cab taking that WB to NB exit. They had cooked food but not sure if they serve that anymore.

flipstah
05-19-2020, 09:41 AM
Nobody's been to "The Italian Store (http://www.italianstore.ca/)" McKnight and Deerfoot?

I only randomly saw it one time when I was in a cab taking that WB to NB exit. They had cooked food but not sure if they serve that anymore.

I keep forgetting about that place. It's such an obscure location, but their food is so good.

Updates say they're cooking hot food again.

ExtraSlow
05-19-2020, 10:20 AM
I like that place a lot better than Linas.

killramos
05-19-2020, 10:29 AM

Linas hasn’t been great in a long time. I only ever went due to proximity, and because my mother likes the tiramisu

flipstah
05-19-2020, 11:07 AM

What do you recommend from The Italian Store? Your oral expertise is greatly valued.

Xtrema
05-19-2020, 02:14 PM
The new A Mart in Royal Oak just opened, though I like E Mart better.

I do go to both whenever I'm in the south. But if they are in Royal Oak, one less reason to hit dirty south.

I assume they took over Planet Organic's old location?

schocker
05-19-2020, 08:00 PM

This is the one I go to as a northie. Since it is scarpones I always stock up on tomatoes/beans and then they have a decent deli and lots dry/frozen good. Not really any produce out of season. Cafe is good too.