PDA

View Full Version : Alberta restaurant group wants fee cap for delivery services

speedog
05-20-2020, 06:54 AM
Link to story here ("https://calgarysun.com/business/local-business/restaurant-group-wants-fee-cap-imposed-on-skip-the-dishes-and-other-delivery-apps/wcm/cf2fe708-b07b-42df-9cb1-a9c1c0f39837).

Yeah, I understand it's a double edge sword. Restaurants want to use delivery services and the two heavy hitters meantime in the story, Door Dash and Skip the Dishes, give them that service albeit at a cost. At the same time, many restaurants get a sort of web presence they might never achieve otherwise through these two delivery services.

One thing that is interesting is the one restaurant owner, Modern Steak, complaining he's sepent $72,000 on fees since March - I have to wonder if he could've hired his own delivery drivers for that amount. Dominos still has it's own delivery drivers - so are they doing it wrong or are they doing it right?

Btw, my wife and I have never used one of these delivery services - we'll order take out and pick it up. Our kids, though, all use both these services.

msommers
05-20-2020, 08:21 AM
I think a lot of customers scroll through Door Dash or Skip to figure out what to get for dinner. Conversely, we spoiled ourselves and ordered Zipang last night. You could call or text your order, pickup or use their delivery driver or use DoorDash if you wanted. Hell they even were ok to accept e transfer! Huge sashimi pieces last night, damn I love that place.

Anyways without the web presence on these delivery sites, I truly feel like they'd be much slower. Gotta pay to play right now.

Modern Steak has a good following built on Instagram, posts a lot of funny shit. Their burgers were good but not amazing to me but onion rings were legit. A&W still has best onion rings!

pheoxs
05-20-2020, 08:36 AM
Its kind of the same as the Amazon effect. So many people use these services that if you aren't on them then you aren't getting the sales. As a result your own site + delivery option will get a fraction of the traffic as being on Skip. So Skip can charge a premium because they bring in sales as well.

Amazon basically does this as well, so much of ecommerce now happens on Amazon that merchants have to decide between either giving Amazon a huge cut or missing out on traffic. Last time I looked it cost nearly 27% cut to have our products fufilled by Amazon.

killramos
05-20-2020, 08:37 AM
I have no issues with these delivery services making a bit of money. If restaurants don’t like it they are free to invest in their own web presence / app and delivery service. I bet you 99 times out of a hundred it’s cheaper to use DoorDash or Skip, which is why they don’t do it.

The restaurants are just being sour that their antiquated model is being disrupted.

JRSC00LUDE
05-20-2020, 08:40 AM
Door dash is a fucking joke, they put up any menu from any restaurant they can find online and just offer the service without contract or consent.

We were sitting at my friends' one night ordering some desserts and his GF was scrolling though the different apps to find something and she came across HIS restaurant on DD. We're thinking WTF assuming someone in the BOH was running a scam or something so we ordered, the menu was wrong and the prices were wrong (outdated) but they actually phoned us and said "this item isn't on the menu today, can we offer this instead". Bottom line we got an order, paid LESS than current menu price and when he called to find out WTF was going on later it turns out DD had just phoned in a pickup order and then called us back to correct the menu discrepancies. They charged us their website prices for the available menu items though. Then DD goes to the the restaurant saying they have "demand for your services" and try to get you to sign up.

Skip the Dishes just sucks for service in general here, I won't use them anymore. Tons of delay issues, drivers stealing food, etc. Although now most restaurants heavily staple up their bags to avoid the "sampling" by the scumbag driver.

ExtraSlow
05-20-2020, 08:44 AM
Doordash subsidizes those orders heavily, and is losing money massively. Suspect all those services lose money, but because they are"tech companies " nobody cares.

killramos
05-20-2020, 08:48 AM
Door dash is a fucking joke, they put up any menu from any restaurant they can find online and just offer the service without contract or consent.

We were sitting at my friends' one night ordering some desserts and his GF was scrolling though the different apps to find something and she came across HIS restaurant on DD. We're thinking WTF assuming someone in the BOH was running a scam or something so we ordered, the menu was wrong and the prices were wrong (outdated) but they actually phoned us and said "this item isn't on the menu today, can we offer this instead". Bottom line we got an order, paid LESS than current menu price and when he called to find out WTF was going on later it turns out DD had just phoned in a pickup order and then called us back to correct the menu discrepancies. They charged us their website prices for the available menu items though. Then DD goes to the the restaurant saying they have "demand for your services" and try to get you to sign up.

Skip the Dishes just sucks for service in general here, I won't use them anymore. Tons of delay issues, drivers stealing food, etc. Although now most restaurants heavily staple up their bags to avoid the "sampling" by the scumbag driver.

I fail to see how that scenario is bad for the restaurant.

tha_bandit
05-20-2020, 08:51 AM
Then DD goes to the the restaurant saying they have "demand for your services" and try to get you to sign up.

Just read this article in the morning BBC News (https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52724062)

Disoblige
05-20-2020, 08:55 AM
When I saw this on the news yesterday, my question was: did Modern not understand the rate they were being charged or something? They act like it is a surprise to them or as if they increased commissions. I know everyone is hurting and some more than others but no one was pointing a gun to their head to use them. I may be missing a few details but regardless, I know many restaurant owners aren't going to be using the excuse that they were "surprised" by the fees.

ExtraSlow
05-20-2020, 09:02 AM
When I saw this on the news yesterday, my question was: did Modern not understand the rate they were being charged or something? They act like it is a surprise to them or as if they increased commissions. I know everyone is hurting and some more than others but no one was pointing a gun to their head to use them. I may be missing a few details but regardless, I know many restaurant owners aren't going to be using the excuse that they were "surprised" by the fees.

Agree it's not a good look for the restaurant owner. Makes them look pretty inept.

RX_EVOLV
05-20-2020, 09:10 AM
I personally don't see any issues with those companies charging 30% service fee. I would imagine for a restaurant to setup a delivery system (hire and manage delivery staff and e-commerce setup, along with all the overheads like insurance, payroll, etc..) it would probably cost close to, if not over, the 30% fee. I think best of all it's a pay as you go system. If you don't get any deliveries that day, you don't pay any commission. You are not stuck with paying a delivery staff and all the associated overhead cost and paper work and headache.

Plus it looks like the good restaurants are able to stay busy right now without relying on Door Dash or Skip. Look at how often places like Shiki Menya, BVF, or Bridget Bar sell out without putting themselves in those delivery apps. The realty is there is probably no way for any restaurants to survive or make money on take out orders alone if they weren't setup to do so in the first place, as they are still dealing with the cost and overhead of running a full restaurant that's designed to serve hundreds, if not thousands of dine in guests per week.

pheoxs
05-20-2020, 09:15 AM
One thing to keep in mind is most restaurants already run pretty lean margins and then use societies tipping culture expectation to bring in additional revenue to pay their staff. The cooks still get a tipout each night. When you order on skip or doordash they don't receive any tips, anything you tip goes to skip / the delivery driver and not the restaurant.

JRSC00LUDE
05-20-2020, 09:19 AM
I fail to see how that scenario is bad for the restaurant.

Out of date menu items and invalid pricing between takeout and dine in can make for unhappy customers. They're misrepresenting the business and it's unethical to peddle the restaurants services for their (DD) own gain when the business explicitly does not want to have anything to do with DD (or Skip for that matter).

- - - Updated - - -

Just read this article in the morning BBC News (https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52724062)

Exactly hahaha

flipstah
05-20-2020, 09:27 AM
lmao I found DoorDash to be useless. Skip has a great app.

Back on the topic: No one is forcing them to use the app; they can utilize and develop their own services if they want to.

max_boost
05-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Steve at Modern is a good dude and super hardworking. This is an extremely touchy subject for him. Everyone can form their own opinions and I don’t always agree with him getting into it with others but I see both sides.

I had a free trial run with Door Dash for a couple months. They will add any restaurant to their site. They charge the customer initially so the restaurant pays nothing. Customer orders online, door dash will call into the restaurant on behalf of the customer and it’ll be placed as a pickup order. The call Center is India as I’ve never had someone with fluent call into place the order. Door dash picks up the order and pays with a door dash MasterCard. The restaurant gets the full money up front, customer paid a 15% surcharge on their order and presumably door dash covers a portion of it too. It’s a no brainer to try their trial run.

After the trial run it’s back to the 25-30% fee again. Being Asian, of course I stopped using Door Dash. I ain’t paying that 25% but I have simplified my operations to 2 FT and 3 PT and that’s how I’m gonna roll now. My bills are paid and I’m no longer a money centric person. Well I am but overall health is more important lol

That’s what Modern is fighting to get capped from 25-30% to a flat 10-15%. Now tbh, simplest way to put it, in this pandemic, having the govt step into cap the fees is the last thing anyone is thinking about with businesses failing all over the place. These apps are the middleman. Someone’s gotta pay.

tonytiger55
05-20-2020, 09:32 AM
Delivery fees + tips do add up.
Ive started to order direct from the restaurant and tip there to help them out.
But its a supply and demand issue. People are willing to pay for the delivery.
I find the restaurants are placed in a impossible position. The min wage does not help at all.

bjstare
05-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Agree it's not a good look for the restaurant owner. Makes them look pretty inept.

:werd: I was thinking the same thing. Saw the Modern Steak guy on the news this morning, and I can only hope he's smarter than he comes across. When he said he was surprised by the price, it made him sound like a real dummy. If he's actually that stupid, no idea how he runs a successful business.

Chester
05-20-2020, 09:55 AM
I hate door dash. A week ago the driver couldn't find my house so he left the food "under street sign", never found it. On Saturday the Door Dash driver just decided to not show up and keep our food, Door Dash refused to refund me.91562

msommers
05-20-2020, 10:00 AM

DoorDash is backed by investment giant Softbank, which this week posted a record-breaking loss of nearly $13bn.

Defending the loss, chief executive Masayoshi Son reportedly compared himself to Jesus.

The billionaire is said to have stated during a call with investors that Jesus was "also misunderstood".

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Buster
05-20-2020, 10:03 AM
What a dumb idea.

Price controls never work.

syscal
05-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Back on the topic: No one is forcing them to use the app

They are doing exactly that by misrepresenting the restaurant online and reselling their product without consent.

flipstah
05-20-2020, 11:03 AM
I thought Modern Steak was using Skip, being charged fees, and wants it capped?

They are doing exactly that by misrepresenting the restaurant online and reselling their product without consent.

max_boost
05-20-2020, 12:20 PM
They are no longer using Skip. I believe it's just Door Dash exclusively now.

I was approached by both Uber and Skip recently and turned them both down. Not worth it but I know I am very fortunate to have neighborhood support.

roopi
05-20-2020, 12:47 PM
I hate door dash. A week ago the driver couldn't find my house so he left the food "under street sign", never found it. On Saturday the Door Dash driver just decided to not show up and keep our food, Door Dash refused to refund me.91562

:rofl: This really happened? Who leaves food on the street under a sign? I don't use any of these apps. If they don't have their own delivery service I will pickup the food. If I have an issue with an order I can contact the restaurant instead of dealing with one of these services call centers.

max_boost
05-20-2020, 12:55 PM
One of the benefits during the Door Dash trial run was, if there were complaints it went directly to Door Dash. The Dashers would tell me it was basically an automatic refund from head office on complaints. Chester's case, wow. No words. What a useless driver or maybe Chester lives in a secret area that can't be access by regular folks

Disoblige
05-20-2020, 12:56 PM
I'm surprised we're so stringent on certain things but food delivery is a free-for-all. If drivers tampering with food is actually a common thing, all orders should be stapled shut or an easy unremovable sticker on the plastic bag knot so customers know it wasn't tampered with.

Hey that is actually a good idea, no? :rofl:

max_boost
05-20-2020, 12:59 PM
haha Chinese food is safest then as there's a plastic lid, then saran wrap, then tied up double knot haha

The_Rural_Juror
05-20-2020, 01:06 PM
Not to mention that it's usually high heat deep or stir fried. Kills everything.

roopi
05-20-2020, 01:08 PM
I'm surprised we're so stringent on certain things but food delivery is a free-for-all. If drivers tampering with food is actually a common thing, all orders should be stapled shut or an easy unremovable sticker on the plastic bag knot so customers know it wasn't tampered with.

Hey that is actually a good idea, no? :rofl:

I've thought about this too and it's one of the reasons I don't use these services. It's such a simple concept to have a sticker/seal on the bags but there is no standard for it. One day when someone gets poisoned by a delivery driver they will implement something like this.

Mitsu3000gt
05-20-2020, 01:16 PM
You don't need to be on Door Dash or Skip to get business if people really want your food. If you don't like to pay fees, make better food so people will come pick it up or hire your own delivery drivers. We frequent a few places that aren't on DD/Skip and they are always slammed, some even stop taking orders after certain times because they can't keep up.

If Modern says they paid $72,000 in delivery fees for ~2 months, they could have hired 10 drivers and paid them all $15/hr for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week instead and saved like $25K. Sounds like they're just lazy.

If you want to be on Door Dash / Skip so you have less to worry about, you gotta pay to play.

pheoxs
05-20-2020, 01:22 PM
I wonder if its against skip's TOS to include a menu and a discount if they order direct through the store. I know some chinese food places always include a menu. I wonder if you could do that with a 5 or 10% off for direct sales. Or maybe free shipping? idk

beyond_ban
05-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Price controls have no place in a competitive market such as food delivery where barriers to entry are fairly low. Anyone want to start a food delivery business with a patented tamper proof delivery bag tonight?

flipstah
05-20-2020, 01:34 PM
Pfft easy.

You know those bubble tea sealing machines? Just make one wide enough for a bowl. Or hell, just use bbt cups lol.

Call it a 'shaker'. White people love shakers.

RX_EVOLV
05-20-2020, 02:05 PM
I wonder if its against skip's TOS to include a menu and a discount if they order direct through the store. I know some chinese food places always include a menu. I wonder if you could do that with a 5 or 10% off for direct sales. Or maybe free shipping? idk

Everyone is doing that, even the big chains. Earls is 20% off if you order direct + pickup. Moxie's is 15% off. Boston Pizza is 15% or something. so probably not against their terms and conditions

JRSC00LUDE
05-20-2020, 02:13 PM
Pfft easy.

You know those bubble tea sealing machines? Just make one wide enough for a bowl. Or hell, just use bbt cups lol.

Call it a 'shaker'. White people love shakers.

That sounds racist.

Chester
05-20-2020, 05:04 PM
:rofl: This really happened? Who leaves food on the street under a sign? I don't use any of these apps. If they don't have their own delivery service I will pickup the food. If I have an issue with an order I can contact the restaurant instead of dealing with one of these services call centers.

Yup, lesson learned. We usually only eat out on the weekends, so will just pick it up from now on.

CompletelyNumb
05-21-2020, 10:24 AM
So he wants the government to tell a private business how much it can charge for it's services. :zzz:

Maybe they can put a price limit per oz on his [poorly cooked] steaks as well.

msommers
05-21-2020, 10:35 AM
Shots fired!

flipstah
05-21-2020, 10:39 AM
So he wants the government to tell a private business how much it can charge for it's services. :zzz:

laaaawwwwllzzzzzlawlwlzlzlzlwlawlzlzlzlzlawllzzz

black300
05-21-2020, 11:24 AM
Skip the Dishes is great for consumers and they do take a hefty amount from restaurants. However a lot of restaurants have higher prices for Skip Menu to accommodate that. The only that pisses me off is how customers complain about their food and get a refund instantly, the restaurant does not have any room to argue. For example, can we get no tomatoes in a greek salad. How is that possible, it is prepped that way. No there is no option for no tomatoes on the menu and it is not possible. Stick to a different salad, and then they complain. Skip goes out and hands 100% refund. I bet so many customers are taking advantage of this knowing they will get a credit.

Some customers should just cook at home if they are that picky.

Mitsu3000gt
05-21-2020, 12:35 PM
If I have an issue with an order I can contact the restaurant instead of dealing with one of these services call centers.

If you have an issue, Door Dash refunds you no questions asked - it's just a button in the app, no call center required and they credit your account. I had a $90 sushi order messed up one time and one click later I had a full credit.

Mitsu3000gt
05-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Skip the Dishes is great for consumers and they do take a hefty amount from restaurants. However a lot of restaurants have higher prices for Skip Menu to accommodate that. The only that pisses me off is how customers complain about their food and get a refund instantly, the restaurant does not have any room to argue. For example, can we get no tomatoes in a greek salad. How is that possible, it is prepped that way. No there is no option for no tomatoes on the menu and it is not possible. Stick to a different salad, and then they complain. Skip goes out and hands 100% refund. I bet so many customers are taking advantage of this knowing they will get a credit.

Some customers should just cook at home if they are that picky.

Why don't you contact the customer if their request cannot be accommodated? That's what has happened to me every time and it seems to work out just fine. The reason people pay a significant premium for DoorDash/Skip food is because they don't want to cook at home. Inflated restaurant pricing + DD/Skip fee + delivery fee + driver tip and often you're at a 50-100% premium to the menu price, especially on a small order.

Customers are allowed to be picky if they are paying for the food - could be an allergy or something too. It's up to the restaurant to let them know if their request cannot be accommodated, same as it would be in a dine-in situation. If you call them and let them know, they say it's fine, and THEN still complain for a refund, then that is a dick move. If the restaurant doesn't contact them to let them know or offer alternative, then they are within their rights to complain IMO. Customers have no idea what food is pre-made, what can be swapped out, etc. unless someone tells them.

roopi
05-21-2020, 12:51 PM
If you have an issue, Door Dash refunds you no questions asked - it's just a button in the app, no call center required and they credit your account. I had a $90 sushi order messed up one time and one click later I had a full credit.

Chester did you try this?

AndyL
05-21-2020, 12:57 PM
In other news, nice humblebrag. We did so much takeout/delivery we spent 72k$ in fees.

So what 315k$ in takeout/delivery sales?

JRSC00LUDE
05-21-2020, 01:04 PM

This is enjoyable.

killramos
05-21-2020, 01:04 PM
In other news, nice humblebrag. We did so much takeout/delivery we spent 72k$ in fees.

So what 315k$ in takeout/delivery sales?

Across his 3 restaurants over 2 months? Restaurants have always been decent at bringing in revenue, it’s making a profit that is the difficult part and an extra 72k off the top hurts a ton.

AndyL
05-21-2020, 01:25 PM
Across his 3 restaurants over 2 months? Restaurants have always been decent at bringing in revenue, it’s making a profit that is the difficult part and an extra 72k off the top hurts a ton.

But they signed up for those rates... It's not like the rates were jacked for covid... Just the % of dine in vs takeout has changed.

I think most businesses would be looking at it as a positive thing... Having business being able to focus on the takeout side and looking forward to hopefully some new dine-in customers post-covid

killramos
05-21-2020, 01:26 PM
I dunno you were the one criticizing it as a humble brag, the fees are a completely different issue.

You make it sound like 300k is some massive number for a restaurant in terms of revenue. Across 3 restaurants over 2 months that’s all of 1500 bucks a day per shop. That ain’t keeping the lights on.

Mitsu3000gt
05-21-2020, 01:28 PM
But they signed up for those rates... It's not like the rates were jacked for covid... Just the % of dine in vs takeout has changed.

I think most businesses would be looking at it as a positive thing... Having business being able to focus on the takeout side and looking forward to hopefully some new dine-in customers post-covid

Hard to believe they are hurting (obviously they're still pretty busy still if they paid that much in delivery fees alone), but it's possible their revenue is down significantly due to lack of alcohol sales as that is usually marked up 100%-400%+. Still can't feel sorry for them though, if their food was that good, people would go pick it up.

As I mentioned above though, $72K over 2 months would buy them a small army of their own delivery personnel if they feel like they can do it better.

ThePenIsMightier
05-21-2020, 01:30 PM
Why don't you contact the customer if their request cannot be accommodated? That's what has happened to me every time and it seems to work out just fine. The reason people pay a significant premium for DoorDash/Skip food is because they don't want to cook at home. Inflated restaurant pricing + DD/Skip fee + delivery fee + driver tip and often you're at a 50-100% premium to the menu price, especially on a small order.

Customers are allowed to be picky if they are paying for the food - could be an allergy or something too. It's up to the restaurant to let them know if their request cannot be accommodated, same as it would be in a dine-in situation. If you call them and let them know, they say it's fine, and THEN still complain for a refund, then that is a dick move. If the restaurant doesn't contact them to let them know or offer alternative, then they are within their rights to complain IMO. Customers have no idea what food is pre-made, what can be swapped out, etc. unless someone tells them.

Bullshit. Karens gonna Karen is what most of this will be.

"Ummm, yeah, excuse me! I ordered my Caprese Salad without cheese or tomato and reminded you that I am deathly allergic to balsamic! So... You're gonna have to go ahead and refund me 345% of the value of this order, or I'm gonna have to talk about the manager on Yelp!"

Chester
05-21-2020, 01:46 PM
Chester did you try this?

I didn't, was too hangry; cut my losses, placed another order and drove to pick it up lol.

Mitsu3000gt
05-21-2020, 02:12 PM
Bullshit. Karens gonna Karen is what most of this will be.

"Ummm, yeah, excuse me! I ordered my Caprese Salad without cheese or tomato and reminded you that I am deathly allergic to balsamic! So... You're gonna have to go ahead and refund me 345% of the value of this order, or I'm gonna have to talk about the manager on Yelp!"

How is this scenario any different than what would happen inside the restaurant for a sit-down meal though? There will always be that 1% who can't be pleased, it's part of being in the restaurant business. In both scenarios the customer is likely to receive a full or partial refund. I haven't heard of any customer getting MORE than the order value back.

If the restaurant makes an attempt the contact the customer then they have done their part IMO. If the restaurant does not notify the customer that their request cannot be accommodated, that is on the restaurant IMO. Exactly the same as a dine-in situation. If they don't like it then they can handle deliveries themselves if they think they can do a better job.

Or, if it's THAT bad, maybe they should start making better food so they don't need delivery services at all. Some places are so busy with pick-up orders they only open for a certain window each day.

syscal
05-21-2020, 06:31 PM
I thought Modern Steak was using Skip, being charged fees, and wants it capped?

Yea, I wasn't referring to modern steak specifically...but you did say "back on topic" so my bad

zechs
05-21-2020, 07:31 PM
How is this scenario any different than what would happen inside the restaurant for a sit-down meal though?

https://i.imgur.com/dGx5OSB.jpg

It also works the same online. Even though you aren't quite anonymous, there are literally zero repercussions for treating businesses online horribly.

It's one thing to steal from someone when you have to look them in the eye. Another thing when its "another faceless business" online.

My two cents, but as a small business owner, my interactions in person vs anything online (even email) is night and day.

ThePenIsMightier
05-21-2020, 07:51 PM
I'm torn on this overall issue because there are excellent points for both sides. Overall, I think it's foolish for us to (as of today) deny the fact that Skip The Dishes is currently the cartel that fucks these restaurants over. I think I made the argument about how Yelp used to have the power to fuck restaurants over, as well. They have nothing proprietary and thus competitors are already all over Skip The D driving prices down and increasing competition. But... In the meantime, these restaurants are getting fucked and that's wrong.
I do not and will not ever support govt intervention to limit these fees in a case like this. But, they are getting fisted and it's unfair and it's also unfair to say "do it yourself" when these are restaurants, not delivery places. They entered the restaurant business, not the quick-food delivery biz. You can't reasonably expect them to combat this effectively by entering that biz.

So, why is it so dominant and yet so allegedly unpopular?
Skip The D is the Nickelback/Walmart in this. Ask anyone, and they'll tell you "Skip Sux" but deep down, everyone is buying it! Like that SouthPark episode about Walmart.

I take my stand and say "nope - not doing it". If it ain't pizza, I'm climbing off my thumb to go pick it up.
I think it's painfully obvious that we all need way way more people exactly like me. You're all welcome!

sexualbanana
05-21-2020, 08:25 PM
The service is a lot like Waiters en Route (if anyone remembers them). They were basically a third-party delivery service, but it all happened by phone and they charged an exorbitant delivery fee (the one time I looked into it, the delivery charge was going to be $20 and that was about 20 years ago).

I think a lot of the discontent comes from the fact that restaurants are only able to operate as takeout/delivery only. Before that, I think a lot of restaurants and bars were willing to eat the cost of delivering to Skip/DD/UE and basically attribute it to marketing costs. The main revenue was generated through their dine-in business anyways and delivery was just a small portion of that. But now you take away the sitdown revenue and all you're left with is a sliver of profit (or loss) after accounting for delivery fees. And that stings.

dirtsniffer
05-21-2020, 10:16 PM

I've definitely had the typical 10% off for pick or or cash, and that's probably not available through skip. But now that you mention the skip TOS I have seen it less lately. But i think I've also seen that some places have higher prices on skip vs on a menu you pick up... So no idea really.

The only exorbitant delivery fee I was ever ok with was dial a bottle when I was 16.

Xtrema
05-21-2020, 11:12 PM
The only thing I dont like about this trend is everything will just cost more for people who dont use or hate these delivery services.

tirebob
05-22-2020, 07:38 AM
I'm torn on this overall issue because there are excellent points for both sides. Overall, I think it's foolish for us to (as of today) deny the fact that Skip The Dishes is currently the cartel that fucks these restaurants over. I think I made the argument about how Yelp used to have the power to fuck restaurants over, as well. They have nothing proprietary and thus competitors are already all over Skip The D driving prices down and increasing competition. But... In the meantime, these restaurants are getting fucked and that's wrong.
I do not and will not ever support govt intervention to limit these fees in a case like this. But, they are getting fisted and it's unfair and it's also unfair to say "do it yourself" when these are restaurants, not delivery places. They entered the restaurant business, not the quick-food delivery biz. You can't reasonably expect them to combat this effectively by entering that biz.

So, why is it so dominant and yet so allegedly unpopular?
Skip The D is the Nickelback/Walmart in this. Ask anyone, and they'll tell you "Skip Sux" but deep down, everyone is buying it! Like that SouthPark episode about Walmart.

I take my stand and say "nope - not doing it". If it ain't pizza, I'm climbing off my thumb to go pick it up.
I think it's painfully obvious that we all need way way more people exactly like me. You're all welcome!

Good summary! I too accept that it is what it is, but I refuse to participate. Fuck skip and the horse they rode in on. I will always call a restaurant directly and go pick it up if they don’t deliver or pay a secondary delivery driver to go get it if I am too lazy. Hell, maybe I will even just cook for myself... The horror!!

Xtrema
05-22-2020, 08:22 AM
Good summary! I too accept that it is what it is, but I refuse to participate. Fuck skip and the horse they rode in on. I will always call a restaurant directly and go pick it up if they don’t deliver or pay a secondary delivery driver to go get it if I am too lazy. Hell, maybe I will even just cook for myself... The horror!!

I think I used any of these new delivery services once for business lunch and that's it because we didn't have time to pick it up. I also refuse to participate, especially against restaurants that I like and support. I rather pick it up myself.

Tik-Tok
05-22-2020, 08:54 AM

As if skip even delivers to your acreage Bob :rofl:

I've only used one of these services once, because I was hungry, covered in car grease, needed a shower, and my wife wasn't home so I would have had to install the car seat and take my daughter to pick up while I was covered in said grease.

Other than that, I've been picking up myself.

tirebob
05-22-2020, 09:08 AM
As if skip even delivers to your acreage Bob :rofl:

This is true now, but sometimes even the guys in the shop will use skip for their lunches and I always give them shit... Haha!

max_boost
05-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Talking on the phone is scary lol app is easy. I know many who refuse to pick up the phone.

Xtrema
05-22-2020, 11:30 AM
Talking on the phone is scary lol app is easy. I know many who refuse to pick up the phone.

Wakado seems to be fine on Wix's platform. I rather go thru that than these other middle mans that take way bigger cut.

max_boost
05-22-2020, 11:45 AM
Wakado seems to be fine on Wix's platform. I rather go thru that than these other middle mans that take way bigger cut.

For sure. I have been taking orders via email and FB messenger as well.

I just prefer it this way as I can 100% control the flow of orders, wait times etc.

ExtraSlow
05-22-2020, 11:55 AM
My local Viet place claims they take orders by text, but don't really seem to. I've tried, and they seem confused. Guy speaks almost no English too, maybe that's the issue?

roopi
05-22-2020, 11:57 AM
My local Viet place claims they take orders by text, but don't really seem to. I've tried, and they seem confused. Guy speaks almost no English too, maybe that's the issue?

Try WeChat

RX_EVOLV
05-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Van Son Viet on 16ave NW has an awesome online ordering system - probably the best one I've seen so far, so there are some good e-commerce ordering alternatives out there for sure if restaurants want to setup their own.

Otherwise we always order JUS Fruits via text and that worked just fine.

pheoxs
05-22-2020, 12:49 PM
Van Son Viet on 16ave NW has an awesome online ordering system - probably the best one I've seen so far, so there are some good e-commerce ordering alternatives out there for sure if restaurants want to setup their own.

Tbh if any web devs are out of work this would be a prime market to start signing restaurants up. No reason you couldn't build a basic package with all the backend the same and then adjust the graphics and menu for each restaurant.

killramos
05-22-2020, 01:00 PM

That and their food is pretty great

AndyL
05-22-2020, 01:14 PM
Tbh if any web devs are out of work this would be a prime market to start signing restaurants up. No reason you couldn't build a basic package with all the backend the same and then adjust the graphics and menu for each restaurant.

Pretty sure there's a WordPress plug-in for that :)

But then you have to pay for that plug-in... And who's to say they won't demand the province set rules on that too.

max_boost
05-22-2020, 01:17 PM

Perhaps that's why I am still in biz. I can do bro speak, tfw speak, fob speak and standard English.