PDA

View Full Version : Would you eat at a buffet Post Covid?

max_boost
05-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Hey guys, just wanna get your thoughts on this and figured Beyond would be a good place to ask.

Would you eat at a buffet post Covid? Or do you think this is the death of the buffet? Is there anything a restaurant can do? Make everyone use disposable gloves for each visit to the table? put up signs telling ppl to not re-use their plates and or lick their fingers and having a bouncer, I mean staff to enforce?

killramos
05-20-2020, 01:13 PM
I don’t go to a lot of buffets, but covid will not change my opinion of them at all.

A790
05-20-2020, 01:16 PM
Honestly, was kind of struggling with buffets pre-covid. I'm good on 'em now.

Unless it's yours and you're inviting me for a date <3

pheoxs
05-20-2020, 01:19 PM
I never really went to buffets pre-covid, doubt I'll go post covid. Outside of the Vegas ones where I'm hungover as fuck and just want to stuff my self sober I just don't see the desire. I'd rather go to AYCE sushi than a buffet locally. I don't even know if I know any good buffets locally tbh.

As for what a restaurant can do, unfortunately the only real answer would be to have a staff member do the serving. Gas stations started doing this with the slushi machines, you tell them what flavours you want and they fill the cup for you. Buffets could be done the same, put a full plexiglass cover on one side so they can point and talk to the plastic and not get germs on anything then a server on the backside dishing things out for them and then hand the plate over at the end.

ercchry
05-20-2020, 01:20 PM
Only if A+ brings back the Toro sushi :drool:

...but yeah, guess it depends on what “after” looks like. Vaccine figured out, people calm. Great. Done. But if it’s more like, if you’re found to have a high temp you’re banned from businesses and potentially can’t work, then probably not

Tik-Tok
05-20-2020, 01:23 PM
I don’t go to a lot of buffets, but covid will not change my opinion of them at all.

Yep. I don't even remember the last buffet I was at. I think it might have been the Clay Oven, over a decade ago.

beyond_ban
05-20-2020, 01:25 PM
I think it depends on if the buffet adapts their methodology to suit a more sanitized dining experience. While i would not be interested in a standard buffet with a spoon that all patrons use to serve themselves, i think the business could be adapted via having a staff member serve you behind glass (a la cafeteria) or order your food and have it delivered from the kitchen like at most of the AYCE sushi spots

Brent.ff
05-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Considering that the major vector at the curling bonspiel was shared utensils.... until i a) had it or b) have a vaccine.. nope

Edit: or ya, dont let any gross nasty people of the public serve it..

Disoblige
05-20-2020, 01:33 PM
What if it was iPad order style and the food is in the back? I always wondered if these "made-to-order" options can be opened up to other cuisines too.

spikerS
05-20-2020, 01:46 PM
Honestly I would go and eat at one today, with zero changes from pre-covid.

I think people are just way over reacting.

A790
05-20-2020, 01:51 PM
Honestly I would go and eat at one today, with zero changes from pre-covid.

I think people are just way over reacting.

Nearly killed two people in my family. Killed a friend of a friend.

Respectfully, lots of people aren't taking it seriously enough.

lilmira
05-20-2020, 01:52 PM
Not affected, I didn't like buffet pre-covid to begin with.

spikerS
05-20-2020, 01:59 PM

Respectfully, lots of people aren't taking it seriously enough.

And you just took it too seriously, respectfully of course. Sure, Covid is serious business, but the world is becoming a germaphobe's paradise. We all know some of the best food comes out of the dirtiest kitchens that AHS closes down 5 times a year.

JRSC00LUDE
05-20-2020, 02:00 PM
A friend of mine has a buffet only restaurant, I try to go monthly because I try to patronize my friend's businesses where possible AND my little guy loves it.

I am genuinely worried for his future and will go there as soon as it is able to open.

A790
05-20-2020, 02:21 PM
And you just took it too seriously, respectfully of course. Sure, Covid is serious business, but the world is becoming a germaphobe's paradise. We all know some of the best food comes out of the dirtiest kitchens that AHS closes down 5 times a year.

I dunno dude. Hits home when someone you know dies from it. Given that the extent of me taking it seriously is wearing a mask when I go shopping and minimizing facetime with people until it blows over, I don't think I'm taking it too seriously.

And you're also talking at me as if my family and I didn't run a restaurant for 13 years. I know how it goes. Which is also why I'm steering clear of buffets for a while :)

benyl
05-20-2020, 02:25 PM
I'm sad that https://souplantation.com/ / https://sweettomatoes.com/ shut down. It was go to travel food in Florida and California that was real food and super cheap.

Realistically, how do you manage to socially distance in a buffet line?

The_Rural_Juror
05-20-2020, 02:34 PM
I dunno dude. Hits home when someone you know dies from it. Given that the extent of me taking it seriously is wearing a mask when I go shopping and minimizing facetime with people until it blows over, I don't think I'm taking it too seriously.

And you're also talking at me as if my family and I didn't run a restaurant for 13 years. I know how it goes. Which is also why I'm steering clear of buffets for a while :)

Werd. Sorry to hear about the bad news. :(

A790
05-20-2020, 02:50 PM
Werd. Sorry to hear about the bad news. :(

Thanks my dude. We weren't close, but close enough for the reality to hit home.

Also, it's pretty funny how somebody thinks that a response to someone saying "this has impacted my family and killed someone I knew" was to talk AT me and tell me I am taking it too seriously.

msommers
05-20-2020, 02:50 PM
The last buffet I went to was at Foody Goody.

spikerS
05-20-2020, 02:57 PM

I agree, it sucks when it hits home, but dude, your words were "Friend of a friend", that's hardly hitting home. I am not trying to minimize it as it is affecting your circle of friends, and I am truly sorry for the loss. It sucks no matter the cause. I also realize that this could just as easily hit home, and I know that is frightening.

Having said that, IF this is as deadly as everyone says, and IF this is contagious as everyone says, it is not a matter of IF you and those you love will contract this virus, but a matter of WHEN. And if this mortality rate of 0.3% is accurate, well, I personally don't want to live in fear. To me that isn't living. I am not saying that I am not taking percautions, but, I am not willing to become a total hermit (granted that isn't a real big change for me). Not really sure where I am going with all this, but, like I said, I am fine with it. Serenity prayer and all that.

I don't wanna be callous, but, I am just not willing to be held hostage by it. And let's be real here, we are buds in RL. You have seen me. Do you really think I would pass up a buffet? :rofl:

nzwasp
05-20-2020, 03:02 PM
I wouldnt and I also not want to participate in Potluck meals that I was already wary of aswell.

pheoxs
05-20-2020, 03:04 PM
I agree, it sucks when it hits home, but dude, your words were "Friend of a friend", that's hardly hitting home. I am not trying to minimize it as it is affecting your circle of friends, and I am truly sorry for the loss. It sucks no matter the cause. I also realize that this could just as easily hit home, and I know that is frightening.

Having said that, IF this is as deadly as everyone says, and IF this is contagious as everyone says, it is not a matter of IF you and those you love will contract this virus, but a matter of WHEN. And if this mortality rate of 0.3% is accurate, well, I personally don't want to live in fear. To me that isn't living. I am not saying that I am not taking percautions, but, I am not willing to become a total hermit (granted that isn't a real big change for me). Not really sure where I am going with all this, but, like I said, I am fine with it. Serenity prayer and all that.

I don't wanna be callous, but, I am just not willing to be held hostage by it. And let's be real here, we are buds in RL. You have seen me. Do you really think I would pass up a buffet? :rofl:

Perhaps you missed the part where it actually affected his family?

spikerS
05-20-2020, 03:11 PM
Perhaps you missed the part where it actually affected his family?

ok, i missed that part. Apologies Cam

AndyL
05-20-2020, 03:13 PM
I'm hitting up the local Chinese buffet as soon as it re-opens.

But y'all can govern yourself accordingly :rofl:

killramos
05-20-2020, 03:20 PM
For me Chinese is a takeout/delivery comfort food thing, has been for years, so I order like 12 things and make my own little buffet in the kitchen and eat that for a week (or at least I wish it would last a week).

I haven’t been out for Chinese regularly since I was maybe 10. My grandmother loved the regency palace buffet. I don’t have any issues with Chinese buffets, it’s just not that high up my list if I’m going to put pants on and eat out.

05-20-2020, 03:24 PM
I’m avoiding all Chinese food until a vaccine is discovered.

Lex350
05-20-2020, 03:29 PM
I only ate at a buffet once a year as it was (Thanksgiving at the Winter Club) so I'm good not to eat one.

JRSC00LUDE
05-20-2020, 03:31 PM
I’m avoiding all Chinese food until a vaccine is discovered.

Your trolling game is weak.

rx7boi
05-20-2020, 03:37 PM
I'd probably wait it out a little bit but it's hard when some places have salad bar elements as part of the experience. COVID just made risks more salient.

That said, I'm not in a rush to go back to the Grey Eagle buffet. There is plenty of good food around town.

max_boost
05-20-2020, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry to hear bro A790 :(

I'm not really a buffet guy either but I understand its appeal. I've had a lot of customers call in to ask about it so was curious on the feel out there.

For starters I'm not even doing dine in until this is all over as it's impossible for me to look after customers. I was able to do good volume before because the buffet is a self serve thing. It has been a staple of my biz forever and brings in about 1/3 of my sales. My take out has always been solid, it has actually done better during this time with the initiatives, support local, cerb money etc. So my sales for May are on track to be only down 10% which is incredible. March and April were down 35-40% which did have me a bit worried.

I am taking this day by day, week by week, month by month, who knows. During this time have been able to try a few diff things and tbh I'm leaning to ridding the buffet table altogether. I could open it for small gatherings when the appropriate time comes or take some of your suggestions, or even reduce the hours/days I have it. Time will tell. Again, thanks for your comments.

D'z Nutz
05-20-2020, 03:58 PM
I'd probably wait it out a little bit but it's hard when some places have salad bar elements as part of the experience. COVID just made risks more salient.

Immediately after Covid would be the safest time because everyone's still on high alert. Then it goes downhill from there.

I'm not a buffet guy, but this whole experience hasn't changed my opinion. It all boils down to where.

JRSC00LUDE
05-20-2020, 04:00 PM
max_boost, that's a lot of percentage to make up but it's awesome you're being proactive after being forced to be reactive.

Buffets are so bizarre. My friend's place his parents ran it FOREVER, were a really long time in already when I met them in the 90's. Since the classic location burned a couple decades ago they still have regulars that have been there to every location they've been in. It's amazing the loyalty, to me it's almost unlike anything else I've seen in restaurants.

pheoxs
05-20-2020, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry to hear bro A790 :(

I'm not really a buffet guy either but I understand its appeal. I've had a lot of customers call in to ask about it so was curious on the feel out there.

For starters I'm not even doing dine in until this is all over as it's impossible for me to look after customers. I was able to do good volume before because the buffet is a self serve thing. It has been a staple of my biz forever and brings in about 1/3 of my sales. My take out has always been solid, it has actually done better during this time with the initiatives, support local, cerb money etc. So my sales for May are on track to be only down 10% which is incredible. March and April were down 35-40% which did have me a bit worried.

I am taking this day by day, week by week, month by month, who knows. During this time have been able to try a few diff things and tbh I'm leaning to ridding the buffet table altogether. I could open it for small gatherings when the appropriate time comes or take some of your suggestions, or even reduce the hours/days I have it. Time will tell. Again, thanks for your comments.

Not sure about spacing but what about it doing it similar to sushi restaurants where you print off paper cards that have tick boxes for each item. They just fill it out and the server goes and prepares that food onto plates and brings it back. You could do it family styles where each person has their own plate and then you just bring their order on one big platter. Then they serve themselves from the platter. No additional risk if they share utensils since they're all together anyways.

max_boost
05-20-2020, 04:10 PM
max_boost, that's a lot of percentage to make up but it's awesome you're being proactive after being forced to be reactive.

Buffets are so bizarre. My friend's place his parents ran it FOREVER, were a really long time in already when I met them in the 90's. Since the classic location burned a couple decades ago they still have regulars that have been there to every location they've been in. It's amazing the loyalty, to me it's almost unlike anything else I've seen in restaurants.

Thanks bro. Yea the loyalty and support has been incredible. I am grateful for everything. I feel a bit bad because I am escaping this relatively unscathed while so many peers are struggling. I am not taking this for granted.

A790
05-20-2020, 04:20 PM
I get the sentiment. I also caught swine flu back in the day and it fucking sucked. Changed my POV on both flu vaccines and on hygiene safety in general.

There's also so much conflicting data right now - with mortalities as high as 7% or as low as 0.07% - that erring on the side of caution seems prudent to me. When things stabilize and become more understood, I'll revisit.

Helps that I work from home and am a closet introvert anyways.

ok, i missed that part. Apologies Cam

All good dude. I know you aren't actually an ass or trying to be a dick. It's like that time you asked me about Trudeau/Trump and were floored when I told you I'd take Trudeau every day of the week.

Still would.

When this shit blows over, let's grab a beer and have Trudeau vs. Trump 2.0 :)

That said, I'm not in a rush to go back to the Grey Eagle buffet. There is plenty of good food around town.

Good point. Other things to think abut: Bolero/Gaucho, sushi bars/sushi moats, etc.

Thanks bro. Yea the loyalty and support has been incredible. I am grateful for everything. I feel a bit bad because I am escaping this relatively unscathed while so many peers are struggling. I am not taking this for granted.
I feel you. We have been more or less unimpacted financially, which I feel both relief and guilt over. It's hard to see people around me struggling while simultaneously booking a record revenue April. Like what do I do/have I done to deserve that luck?

But, like you, I am not taking it for granted.

rx7boi
05-20-2020, 04:35 PM
Oh man, I really liked going to Fusion Sushi for AYCE. It's not everyone's jam and there is considerable debate between what makes good AYCE food, if at all even possible in their eyes.

I just miss paying $28 and stuffing my face full of tuna sashimi and unagi nigiri until I get mercury poisoning.

JRSC00LUDE
05-20-2020, 04:39 PM

I feel you. We have been more or less unimpacted financially, which I feel both relief and guilt over. It's hard to see people around me struggling while simultaneously booking a record revenue April. Like what do I do/have I done to deserve that luck?

But, like you, I am not taking it for granted.

What I've been doing, outside of some private things, is spending extra on local businesses. Primarily restaurants and coffee shops for me but while I am making money I am going to be damn sure to do my part to help the places I like who are still able to function earn it too. I've found some new favourite spots as well as a result. I'm spending way less on some things (like drinks at a bar haha) but more overall right now, mostly on food and coffee and whatnot. And I think a lot of people are. To me that's how you give back for being fortunate enough to still be making money, put it back out there into people's pockets. The responsibility of money is to do good things with it.

It's good to hear you're both doing well.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-20-2020, 04:56 PM
Oh man, I really liked going to Fusion Sushi for AYCE. It's not everyone's jam and there is considerable debate between what makes good AYCE food, if at all even possible in their eyes.

I just miss paying $28 and stuffing my face full of tuna sashimi and unagi nigiri until I get mercury poisoning.

Man, not being able to pig out at Fusion is one of our greatest annoyances about the pandemic, haha.

RE:buffets - The wife and I have to be extra careful, so buffets (and eating at restaurants at all, really) are likely a no-go until a vaccine is available, depends on when. Once that's in place (assuming one is developed) I'd have no problem hitting one.

The_Rural_Juror
05-20-2020, 05:36 PM
Fried rice?

rx7boi
05-20-2020, 05:37 PM
Looks like we're doing a foodie meet at Fusion once this is all over!

max_boost
05-20-2020, 05:45 PM
Didn't know Fusion was so popular! I would go to Sushi BBQ Inn and thought it was amazing. Best $30 spent ever haha

rx7boi
05-20-2020, 05:52 PM
I used to be a fan of Sushi BBQ Inn, but the owners continued to cut corners. All their metal grills were warped and broken; we literally got a piece of metal in the meats that we cooked.

When we asked for a different mesh grill, they just brought another broken one and basically told us the manufacturer discontinued them so all they had were broken utensils :rofl:

That, and the lines were atrocious even with a reservation.

The best one was on the far left wall near the back, they have this one table where they use a raised bannister as a seating bench so you're sitting about 1 foot higher than everyone else at the table haha.

max_boost
05-20-2020, 05:53 PM
The best one was on the far left wall near the back, they have this one table where they use a raised bannister as a seating bench so you're sitting about 1 foot higher than everyone else at the table haha.

Larry David - Curb lol

ExtraSlow
05-20-2020, 06:06 PM
I avoid buffets, and have for my entire adult life. However, if I was meeting someone, and if they happened to choose a buffet restaurant, I'd be okay with that now as always.

shakalaka
05-20-2020, 06:46 PM
For me, it would depend on the place.

If the place is otherwise known to be clean and tidy, without any concerns then I am more likely to consider doing the buffet as opposed to if it's a dodgy looking joint.

A790
05-20-2020, 06:57 PM
What I've been doing, outside of some private things, is spending extra on local businesses. Primarily restaurants and coffee shops for me but while I am making money I am going to be damn sure to do my part to help the places I like who are still able to function earn it too. I've found some new favourite spots as well as a result. I'm spending way less on some things (like drinks at a bar haha) but more overall right now, mostly on food and coffee and whatnot. And I think a lot of people are. To me that's how you give back for being fortunate enough to still be making money, put it back out there into people's pockets. The responsibility of money is to do good things with it.

It's good to hear you're both doing well.

Well, we've been doing that. Ordering from farmers/farmers markets, ordering from small restaurants, etc.

I'm also paying most of my moms mortgage and gave my brother a chunk off his rent. I increased the rates I pay contractors where I've had to slow down overall volume of work. I'm doing what I can to spread it around without fucking myself over in the process.

Most of my revenues come from the USA, so I'm legit adding new money to the local economy lol.

But holding on to my personal tax funds until Aug 31 because Trudie said I could. ;)

RX_EVOLV
05-20-2020, 07:59 PM
Completely depend on the place. If it's the Fairmont Banff Spring or a Vegas buffet ( at a nicer hotel) then I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Places like Grey Eagle, or the salad bar at Smugglers, I would probably avoid for a while. Come to think of it, the only buffet we do now is hot pot, and probably have no issues with those once things open up.

ExtraSlow
05-20-2020, 08:08 PM
Isn't the Covid risk from the other patrons? Or am I missing the point here?

RX_EVOLV
05-20-2020, 08:17 PM
Isn't the Covid risk from the other patrons? Or am I missing the point here?

this https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-restaurant-experiment-shows-how-quickly-covid-19-spreads-11988058?utm_source=AmberMac+Subscribers&utm_campaign=15ad7265bd-AmberMac_Newsletter_Vol_202_Resilience&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_000e6c0bbe-15ad7265bd-332731395

Xtrema
05-20-2020, 09:35 PM
I am not a fan of buffet but I do go to one near by for team lunches because it's easy.

The only way I see buffet surviving in the future is food is behind manned counter and you are being served, cafeteria style. No more self serve.

ThePenIsMightier
05-20-2020, 10:12 PM
Completely depend on the place. If it's the Fairmont Banff Spring or a Vegas buffet ( at a nicer hotel) then I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Places like Grey Eagle, or the salad bar at Smugglers, I would probably avoid for a while. Come to think of it, the only buffet we do now is hot pot, and probably have no issues with those once things open up.

I don't feel better touching the six public serving spoons of 300+ previous Vegas degenerates before I eat bread with my dominant hand. Doesn't matter whether I'm at the Cosmo, Excalibur, Bellagio or whatever the fuck Imperial Palace is called, this week....
I'll awkwardly-as-shit use my virtually dead limb, non-dominant hand to touch anything and everything serving spoon related at any buffet, ever. After that struggle, (and believe me, the struggle is real), I'll sit down with my poorly constructed plate, sans Feng Shui and haphazardly dumped food to eat and wonder why this was $40 + a line up when all I wanted was some potato/veg and a little chunk of prime rib.
Then I look over at some table of disgusting vile who pulled the whole fucking steamer tray of snow crab legs to their table and remember why the last time I ate at a Vegas buffet was because it was comp'd - yet still not worth it.

Kloubek
05-21-2020, 01:13 AM
After covid is gone? Sure... why not.

But I personally would not any time soon. But then, our family isn't really planning to go to ANY sit-down places until this is over. The idea of sharing utensils and despite a guard, people hovering over the food I am about to eat? No thanks.

But your poll does say POST, so I voted yes. I only feel we need to be careful while this is widely transmitting. Once it is gone, I think most people would accept old-school buffets again... though added sanitary measures would be appreciated by many, I'm sure.

flipstah
05-21-2020, 06:48 AM
Either it’ll be cafeteria style or automated like Point Sushi after this.

killramos
05-21-2020, 07:18 AM
One thing is for sure, I am massively craving Silver Dragon cart service once restaurants are open again.

CompletelyNumb
05-25-2020, 06:39 PM
Most of my revenues come from the USA, so I'm legit adding new money to the local economy lol.

:thumbsup: I've been hoarding as much USD as I can for a long time now. The recent exchange rates were very welcome to see.

gqmw
05-25-2020, 08:03 PM
I'm in the don't go to buffets often category - just the quality/cleanliness of the food isn't the best combined with the fact that I almost always leave way too full.

Hot pot might be the only place I would still go for AYCE, just cause sometimes it's easier to get decent variety and saves me from having to prep for it at home.

finboy
05-25-2020, 08:56 PM
Without second thought, can’t wait for the economy to get going again (also had a family member die of Covid)

ThePenIsMightier
05-25-2020, 09:22 PM
You know... All it should take to fix most issues would be a supply of cleansing, disinfectant towelettes at every table. If I could conveniently clean my hands after spoon-touch-a-thon and before eating , I'd feel a lot better.

Xtrema
05-25-2020, 10:07 PM
One thing is for sure, I am massively craving Silver Dragon cart service once restaurants are open again.

Dim Sum is in my blood. Still pissed I couldn't come out last Beyond meet and had to listen to our CEO instead and choking down crappy catering sandwiches.

taemo
05-26-2020, 08:06 AM
We rarely eat at buffets (mostly for family events) but I have no problem going.

To me the risk of contacting COVID19 at a buffet or any restaurant is no different than going to any public places.

If the restaurant wants to reduce the risk then change the serving spoons ver frequently as that's the major contact point for transmission.

killramos
05-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Also can’t wait for some Brazilian BBQ.

Hopefully with all the fear out there it will hit demand and these things will get cheaper and less busy.

flipstah
05-26-2020, 08:23 AM
Dim Sum is in my blood. Still pissed I couldn't come out last Beyond meet and had to listen to our CEO instead and choking down crappy catering sandwiches.

It was so good.

topmade
05-26-2020, 09:17 AM
Never been a fan of buffets and usually only time we go if someone invites us. So with that said, I would go if someone invited me :).

dj_rice
05-26-2020, 09:31 AM
I miss da Chinese AYCE Hot Pot :(

spikerS
05-26-2020, 09:33 AM

Hopefully with all the fear out there it will hit demand and these things will get cheaper and less busy.

yeah, the family is craving some Goucho. I am thinking it is still going to be awhile as once the restrictions are lifted, I am expecting places like that to be busy as hell.

max_boost
05-26-2020, 11:12 AM
Can totally use some Brazilian BBQ and dim sum. I/We need a foodie meet.

bjstare
05-26-2020, 11:48 AM
Would I eat at a buffet post covid? No.

Would I eat at a buffet pre covid? Also no.

Tik-Tok
05-26-2020, 12:09 PM
If the restaurant wants to reduce the risk then change the serving spoons ver frequently as that's the major contact point for transmission.

I have less of a problem with serving spoons, then I do with open air food and zero trust in people properly covering their mouths while sneezing or coughing.

vengie
05-26-2020, 12:15 PM
I have less of a problem with serving spoons, then I do with open air food and zero trust in people properly covering their mouths while sneezing or coughing.

Exactly this.

I avoid Olly Fresco's (or any similar establishment) in BVS due 100% to my lack of faith in people.

Rocket1k78
05-26-2020, 02:13 PM
I miss da Chinese AYCE Hot Pot :(

I wonder if this will affect those the same as the normal AYCE(places like A+). With the hp places they bring the food out to you so its no different than a restaurant

Whoops, forgot about the sauces and condiments. Fuck i hope they dont stay shut down

TomcoPDR
05-26-2020, 03:14 PM
I wonder if this will affect those the same as the normal AYCE(places like A+). With the hp places they bring the food out to you so its no different than a restaurant

Whoops, forgot about the sauces and condiments. Fuck i hope they dont stay shut down

The condiment bar at hp places are so gross

pheoxs
05-26-2020, 03:49 PM
Went to costco and noticed how they were doing the food. They had one staff member dedicated to filling drinks and handing them out so that people dont touch the machines.

If costco can do that I feel like Buffets can have an employee be the designated fill everyones plates as they point person

jwslam
05-26-2020, 04:09 PM

yeah, the family is craving some Goucho. I am thinking it is still going to be awhile as once the restrictions are lifted, I am expecting places like that to be busy as hell.
https://brazilconnection.ca/products/minas-bbq-kit

BerserkerCatSplat
05-26-2020, 04:24 PM

Hey, free Calgary delivery too. Thanks for the tip!

D'z Nutz
05-26-2020, 04:28 PM
Hey, free Calgary delivery too. Thanks for the tip!

10% off pick up too

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/412327-The-Economy-Is-Pooped-How-Do-We-Help?p=4869015#post4869015

BerserkerCatSplat
05-26-2020, 05:10 PM
10% off pick up too

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/412327-The-Economy-Is-Pooped-How-Do-We-Help?p=4869015#post4869015

Nice, going to do the DIY on the BBQ this weekend and a pickup order another time.

Xtrema
05-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Went to costco and noticed how they were doing the food. They had one staff member dedicated to filling drinks and handing them out so that people dont touch the machines.

If costco can do that I feel like Buffets can have an employee be the designated fill everyones plates as they point person

Basically, buffet will have to treat everything like Lobsters and Roast Beef which may increase cost.

And how long the line would be to do 1 round if the line is 6ft apart?

The efficiency and spontaneous of buffet is gone.

Also notice restaurants in HK are doing this:
https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2020/02/12/d21283fe-4cb5-11ea-9b4e-9c10402c07b7_image_hires_113746.jpg

But the shared condiment still a problem tho.

killramos
05-26-2020, 10:12 PM

Or you could get them to cook it for you first, Minas takeout platters are awesome.

Disoblige
05-27-2020, 12:24 AM
Ichiran Ramen (the single isolation booth ramen Restaurant) must be making a killing these days. They should expand to more locations and come to Canada.

flipstah
05-27-2020, 05:13 AM
Basically, buffet will have to treat everything like Lobsters and Roast Beef which may increase cost.

And how long the line would be to do 1 round if the line is 6ft apart?

The efficiency and spontaneous of buffet is gone.

Also notice restaurants in HK are doing this:
https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2020/02/12/d21283fe-4cb5-11ea-9b4e-9c10402c07b7_image_hires_113746.jpg

But the shared condiment still a problem tho.

Are they still cleansing utensils using hot tea? Please tell me that stopped.

ExtraSlow
05-27-2020, 08:11 AM
How do you eat soup wearing a mask? I feel like I'm missing something from the HK picture.

austic
05-27-2020, 08:56 AM
I would say generally no, but I would still have the prime rib buffet on thursdays at the Pclub as I feel like its more sanitary.

Xtrema
05-27-2020, 10:04 AM

It's been 20 years since I was there but I have seen people still doing that in some restaurants in Canada.

They is born from people distrust of shop owners has not fully clean all soap/chemical off dishes. So cleaning with tea help clean that out. It's not this only method of cleaning. But I think that practices has ended long ago in HK but I am not the one to ask for latest.

I'm sure old people still do it a hole in a wall somewhere.

How do you eat soup wearing a mask? I feel like I'm missing something from the HK picture.

Mask comes off when you eat, mask goes back on when you are done. Plexishield/curtains help you in between.

For a world class city that's denser than Manhattan, they must be doing something right.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china-hong-kong-sar/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/ (just Manhattan's number is 20x of HK)

Rocket1k78
05-27-2020, 11:20 AM
The condiment bar at hp places are so gross
I only ever go to 1 pot and they do a pretty good job of keeping it clean. I've seen the kitchens at a couple very busy pho places and you would almost think they have the health inspector bribed because its so filthy haha

Was there last year and i seen it quite a bit, we even did it at a couple places where it looked suspect lol