PDA

View Full Version : Aston Martin CEO replaced by Mercedes-AMG CEO

rage2
05-24-2020, 04:50 PM
https://www.ft.com/content/cbea48e5-69f7-4774-81cb-af04ee0cdb5b

The AM to AMG transformation is almost complete. Moers has been pretty unhappy with Daimler board forcing hybrids down AMGs throat, but no choice with EU’s draconian CO2 penalties.

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2020, 06:53 PM
Sub'd.
It will be interesting to see how holdouts to partial EV tech do in the next five years. Are they stubborn, or are they such purists that they will maintain a limited following?

killramos
05-24-2020, 06:58 PM
https://www.ft.com/content/cbea48e5-69f7-4774-81cb-af04ee0cdb5b

The AM to AMG transformation is almost complete. Moers has been pretty unhappy with Daimler board forcing hybrids down AMGs throat, but no choice with EU’s draconian CO2 penalties.

So the real AMG’s will be AM? I can live with that.

rage2
05-24-2020, 08:56 PM
Not really. There will be no new ICE developments at Mercedes, including AMG. That stopped last year. The M256 that’s in my E53 will be their last ICE. Collector status baby.

Future AMGs will leverage hybrid coupled with their existing ICE engines before moving to full electric. The first is the M256 + mild hybrid that’s already in my car, the next will be the “73” which is the M177 4L V8 TT coupled to a 200hp plug in electric drivetrain. After that the next “63” is rumored to have the M139 I4 turbo 45 engine coupled to the same 200hp plug in hybrid drivetrain. It’s this last choice that pissed off Moers apparently. That drivetrain is already developed (with lower outputs) in the GLC350e. All this shit is stop gap as Daimler goes full steam ahead on EVs.

Those are also the setups that AM will get in the future. Or they just continue to use legacy engines Pagani style.

Buster
05-24-2020, 09:04 PM
Not really. There will be no new ICE developments at Mercedes, including AMG. That stopped last year. The M256 that’s in my E53 will be their last ICE. Collector status baby.

Future AMGs will leverage hybrid coupled with their existing ICE engines before moving to full electric. The first is the M256 + mild hybrid that’s already in my car, the next will be the “73” which is the M177 4L V8 TT coupled to a 200hp plug in electric drivetrain. After that the next “63” is rumored to have the M139 I4 turbo 45 engine coupled to the same 200hp plug in hybrid drivetrain. It’s this last choice that pissed off Moers apparently. That drivetrain is already developed (with lower outputs) in the GLC350e. All this shit is stop gap as Daimler goes full steam ahead on EVs.

Those are also the setups that AM will get in the future. Or they just continue to use legacy engines Pagani style.

This post is more depressing than anything in the COVID thread.

rage2
05-24-2020, 09:38 PM
This post is more depressing than anything in the COVID thread.
Embrace it man. The drivability is exactly what I’ve been looking for all these years. Gf drove my car the other day and complained how sensitive the throttle was. In Eco mode.

shakalaka
05-24-2020, 10:07 PM
The way things are going, I do not look forward to the automotive future at all.

heavyD
05-25-2020, 12:40 PM
The way things are going, I do not look forward to the automotive future at all.

Vehicles will lose their personality. Styling and packaging will vary from manufacturer but they will all accelerate quickly and quietly. No exhaust rumble, no feel of changing gears, etc. Just uneventful speed. Take a manufacturer like Subaru for instance. They thrive on being different from their rivals with their boxer engine and longitudinal engine layout but once we go all EV they will lose all uniqueness as they will be offering the same layouts as everyone else. What's going to differentiate a 911 from a Corvette outside of styling? The automobile enthusiast is a dying breed anyway as the market transitions to SUV's but EV's will be the final nail in the coffin.

Buster
05-25-2020, 12:54 PM
I've been saying that for years. It'll be a bit like cell phones. Remember when we argued over which phone was better? Now they are basically all the same. Ev will just turn cars into exceptionally competent commodities.

killramos
05-25-2020, 01:13 PM
I've been saying that for years. It'll be a bit like cell phones. Remember when we argued over which phone was better? Now they are basically all the same. Ev will just turn cars into exceptionally competent commodities.

Umm people definitely still argue about which smartphone is better :rofl:

heavyD
05-25-2020, 01:57 PM
Umm people definitely still argue about which smartphone is better :rofl:

There’s always going to be nerds and fanboys but largely nobody cares anymore. You used to see dedicated threads on pretty well any forum on android vs Apple. It’s largely limited to the odd drive post by a fanboy hating on Apple these days. It will be the same with the odd blue oval poster hating on a GM EV but largely the industry will come down to generic vehicles differentiated largely by level of luxury and handling tweaks.

revelations
05-25-2020, 02:08 PM
Vehicles with old, simple tech (eg. 3v heads, no variable timing, no DI, etc.) will start to climb in price as a result.

Most people dont care about vehicles more than they care about their TV. SUVs all look the same, have the same HP and the same bad over-tech setup and are over-styled (but not as bad as the civic).

soloracer
05-25-2020, 06:00 PM
If you think that is depressing, think about autonomous driving cars. Not too hard to imagine that nobody owns a car and you just order one on your cell phone to pick you up when they need to go somewhere. You pay a subscription and the type of subscription determines the kind of car you get. But premium would be based upon comforts and features not exterior style or performance. No sense in having more power than necessary since speed is regulated. Insurance would change big time too. No more insurance based upon your record or the bracket you fall into. Instead insurance would be based on the reputation of the company supplying the cars.

So what does that mean for ICE cars? My guess would be that eventually the only place you would use them would be a track. Which means that cars you can enjoy on a track would be in demand. But your ordinary commuter cars will become worthless. I think of when the car replaced the horse. Horses used to be needed everywhere - for work, travel and pleasure. Now they are just for pleasure. And high end race horses still command big money.

killramos
05-25-2020, 06:16 PM
If you want to know where ice car laws will be in 20 years, just look at gun laws lol

Buster
05-25-2020, 06:17 PM
autonomous electric vehicles would be an enormous boost to the economy. It's jsut boring.

revelations
05-25-2020, 06:21 PM
Farmers are buying old tractors now as the new ones are too complicated (among other reasons).

- - - Updated - - -

autonomous electric vehicles would be an enormous boost to the economy. It's jsut boring.

FSD vehicles will never come to play in Canada for 12 months of the year - until someone pays for smart roads (toll).

Buster
05-25-2020, 06:33 PM
never is a long time

revelations
05-25-2020, 06:43 PM
never is a long time

it was never with a clause - until the FSD systems can determine with 100% accuracy, the centre of a road lane , along with edges - in snow covered roads - this will never come to canada - or most northern states.

killramos
05-25-2020, 06:46 PM
Remember back when we used stars to navigate.

I bet people used to say thousands of crazy metal contraptions flying through outer space able to tell us exactly where we are anywhere in the world accurate to a meter would NEVER happen.

ExtraSlow
05-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Never in speedogs lifetime maybe?

killramos
05-25-2020, 06:55 PM

That’s a loooong time.

revelations
05-25-2020, 06:55 PM
Remember back when we used stars to navigate.

I bet people used to say thousands of crazy metal contraptions flying through outer space able to tell us exactly where we are anywhere in the world accurate to a meter would NEVER happen.

again, never with a clause.

If space vehicles were never invented, we would not have GPS. Instead, we would likely have some highly accurate LORAN-type setup for the cities and a low accuracy LORAN-type system around the globe in less populated areas.

ThePenIsMightier
05-25-2020, 07:10 PM

Ohhhh snap!!!!

A790
05-25-2020, 07:31 PM
Farmers are buying old tractors now as the new ones are too complicated (among other reasons).

- - - Updated - - -

FSD vehicles will never come to play in Canada for 12 months of the year - until someone pays for smart roads (toll).

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31761/enormous-costs-of-new-tractors-drive-demand-of-40-year-old-equipment-to-all-time-highs

I thought farmers were using old tech because the ownership costs are way lower? Certain systems/etc. are blocked from access entirely.

Or something.

And I bet you that fully autonomous cars are on Calgary's roads by 2035.

Buster
05-25-2020, 07:37 PM

Coming in hot!

revelations
05-25-2020, 08:59 PM
https://www.thedrive.com/news/31761/enormous-costs-of-new-tractors-drive-demand-of-40-year-old-equipment-to-all-time-highs

I thought farmers were using old tech because the ownership costs are way lower? Certain systems/etc. are blocked from access entirely.

Or something.

And I bet you that fully autonomous cars are on Calgary's roads by 2035.

Yes, the farmers are going to old tech for various reasons - access blocked, subscription based pricing, cant perform maintenance in many cases without the dealers approval etc. There is a whole secondary market in the US for these tractor PC (computers) that have been hacked and modded.

I agree that in 15 years, its likely that someone will have stepped up to the smart road game - after seeing the sales potential. Perhaps install radar reflective cat-eyes, dug into the road like in BC so they dont come out in the winter. Thats where a user based road tax is also likely.

spikerS
05-25-2020, 09:52 PM

Farmers are buying old tech due to manufacturers fighting the right to repair movement. Farmers are no longer allowed to fix their own machinery or access the computers. Manufacturers have contracts when selling the equipment that they are only licensing the software in the machine to the current owner, and without that licence, the equipment won't operate. If you mess with the software, it bricks itself, and then the manufacturer will charge exorbitant amounts to fix it.

speedog
05-25-2020, 10:04 PM

Hey, hey. I maybe have one foot in the grave but not both yet although that 7th decade is looming large now.

flipstah
05-26-2020, 08:36 AM
Coming in hot!

Fun fact: speedog discovered 'hot'

ExtraSlow
05-26-2020, 09:01 AM
Hey, hey. I maybe have one foot in the grave but not both yet although that 7th decade is looming large now.

:love:

SSO
11-29-2020, 07:49 AM

Mercedes will likely end up owning a controlling shareholding in Aston Martin in the next ten years, without even paying for it.

https://karenable.com/aston-martins-mercedes-deal-q3-2020-results/

ThePenIsMightier
11-29-2020, 09:04 AM
^The link is "KarenAble"?
At first glance, that makes it sound like it's the official news source for Karens.
LoL

ExtraSlow
11-29-2020, 09:16 AM
EnABLE your inner KAREN!

SSO
11-29-2020, 09:41 AM
^The link is "KarenAble"?
At first glance, that makes it sound like it's the official news source for Karens.
LoL

Unfortunate development. Site was set up and named long before the "Karen" thing emerged.

I did think of renaming it but that would be another major undertaking.

shakalaka
11-29-2020, 09:51 AM
My Aston Martin Vantage was half-AMG anyway, it's only fair that it's the same case in F1.