PDA

View Full Version : Alberta health care and Psychologists.

jabjab
05-25-2020, 01:05 PM
I'm maxing out my work benefits and health spending account with my psycholgist and i don't know if i can afford seeing him once the benefits run out for much longer.

Does anyone know if Alberta Health Care can kick in or something that would help offset the out of pocket expenses once my benefits run out?

benz_890
05-25-2020, 01:11 PM
I'm maxing out my work benefits and health spending account with my psycholgist and i don't know if i can afford seeing him once the benefits run out for much longer.

Does anyone know if Alberta Health Care can kick in or something that would help offset the out of pocket expenses once my benefits run out?

AFAIK, not covered under AHC

ExtraSlow
05-25-2020, 01:22 PM
Probably can't help with your current psychologist however, there are some options for covered psychology and therapy services.
1) if your company has an "employee assistance program" you can get counselling and, social work, therapy and psychological services through that and its covered by that program outside of your normal health benefits. Limited number of sessions.
2) if yiur family doctor is in a "primary care network", ask if you can be referred to someone, and if you can, that is covered by AHS for a few sessions.
3) especially if you are lower income, is going to a place that has subsidized services. Carya and Calgary counselling centre have a sliding scale of subsidy. Google "sliding scale subsidized counselling"

If you do spent out of pocket, may as well save the receipts, it's tax deductible over a certain amount.

msommers
05-25-2020, 09:16 PM
3) especially if you are lower income, is going to a place that has subsidized services. Carya and Calgary counselling centre have a sliding scale of subsidy. Google "sliding scale subsidized counselling"

Definitely this. Discuss your income, or financial concerns about continuing the care once benefits run out.