PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket..

jbwasted
03-31-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey,

I've lurked here a little bit reading messages, and figured you all might be able to help me out.

I got a speeding ticket last night on 16ave NW (Heading west, just past deerfoot)... Yay! Hehe of well my own stupid fault I know better, and that is a very common speedtrap.

Unfortunately, I got a speeding ticket last year about this time, so this will bring me up to 6 demerits.

Anyone know how this will affect my insurance? The 3 demerits didn't hurt me, but I suspect having 6 will.
I would like to go to pointts and try and get the ticket lowered to a photo radar if that is the case.

Secondly, there is no address on the ticket of where the offense occured!?!? Think this will get me off in court?
Where does the address usually appear?

Thanks everyone

Gonthro
03-31-2004, 02:54 PM
yea, i got one in the exact same place... like 3 years ago..

anyways, goto court, tell them you will pay the $$ but you would like the demerits removed, chances are they will do it just because you showed up, worst they can do is say no.

jbwasted
03-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
yea, i got one in the exact same place... like 3 years ago..

anyways, goto court, tell them you will pay the $$ but you would like the demerits removed, chances are they will do it just because you showed up, worst they can do is say no.

Thanks.. The only problem is if they do say no, it is to late then to go to pointts isn't it?

I would rather pay the cash for pointts than pay 3x the amount in increased insurance costs..

Gonthro
03-31-2004, 03:00 PM
all points will do is take 2x the amount of your fine and go down and do the exact same thing.

and if you dont tell your insurance company then they wont know, the only way you will get screwed is if you try to change insurance companies.

QuasarCav
03-31-2004, 03:06 PM
^^^^

you are probably better off going yourself, here is what happened to me after i got a 307$ ticket for 45km/h over on deerfoot during a construction zone at 12:00am on a sunday:guns:

Justice of the peace: What can i do for you today?
Me: well i can't afford the demerits on my liscence!
JP:Well i can get rid of 2 and drop the ticket to 170$
Me (trying to restrain smile): sure sounds good
JP: Can you pay today?
Me: Yes
Jp: Okay on your way then

Total cost 172$ and 3 hours off work!

jbwasted
03-31-2004, 03:07 PM
all points will do is take 2x the amount of your fine and go down and do the exact same thing.

and if you dont tell your insurance company then they wont know, the only way you will get screwed is if you try to change insurance companies.

Oh yeah? That's cool I always figured the insurance companies found out somehow.

So what happens when I go to traffic court? Do I just show up on the day noted on the ticket? What happens there?

Sorry for all the questions I appreciate your help.
I haven't been to traffic court since I was 14 and was caught driving without a license (8 years ago now).

jbwasted
03-31-2004, 03:08 PM
One more thing, the missing address on the ticket won't help me?

I've never gotten a ticket that didin't have the offence location on it.

Ben
03-31-2004, 04:52 PM
Tickets never have the location of the infraction on them. Only the white copy that the officer keeps and submits.

jbwasted
03-31-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Tickets never have the location of the infraction on them. Only the white copy that the officer keeps and submits.

Interesting. Every ticket I have gotten before has had a location on it. Heh, most of my tickets have been drinking tickets however.
Glad those days are mostly over ;)

So if I don't tell my insurance company about the ticket they won't find out? Am I risking my coverage by not telling them?

Thanks for the info

BebeAphrodite
03-31-2004, 05:40 PM

Where did you get this idea?? If that were the case then nobody would tell their insurance company.

Gonthro
03-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

Where did you get this idea?? If that were the case then nobody would tell their insurance company.

some people are honest :D its actually in your contract that you must tell them, but as i said, if you dont tell them, they have no way of finding out

Weapon_R
03-31-2004, 07:02 PM

some people are honest :D its actually in your contract that you must tell them, but as i said, if you dont tell them, they have no way of finding out

They have absolutely every right and all ability to find out. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Gonthro
03-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

They have absolutely every right and all ability to find out. You have no clue what you're talking about.

what exactly do you think thechances are that of the thousands and thousands of people you company insures... thelly just go walkin through this filing cabinet one day and just decide, hrm, lets check up on this guy... im not saying they cant, just saying they wont.

dogmaiwli
04-12-2004, 02:38 PM
They Can, Do, and Did to Me ,
They tried to drop my coverage for 1 speeding ticket, I was at the second from the bottom of the barrel insurers.
Then my agent got involved, And they extended it, but it went up like 50 Bucks.

They usually look you up when your insurance is due for renewal.:whipped: :banghead:

jbwasted
04-12-2004, 03:36 PM
What about the speedo test?

Does this still work well for getting off of the ticket?

Would they ever just lower the ticket to <20 km/hr over, give me two demerits, and then give me the ticket for not maintaining the equipment?!?

This will be my 2nd speeding ticket > 20km/hr in shortly over a year..