PDA

View Full Version : Truck topper... do I sell?

Brent.ff
05-27-2020, 09:45 AM
So I have a Leer 100XR on my Tacoma in spruce mica, and getting a bit annoyed with it for moving mountain bikes and needing a rack if I want to take more then 1bike.

So do I:

a) sell it, put a tonneau on? How much do tonneaus cost and what should I expect to get in return for the topper, especially a relatively rare color

B) store it. Could build a rig to hang it off my ceiling, though may be ghetto AF.

C) none of the above. Figure out a good rack for mountain bikes and when hauling the trailer. Thoughts?

Other factors, I do sleep in the campertop typically at least one trip a year, and it is convenient for moving stuff for camping, so really don’t think I’d go Tonneau free

ExtraSlow
05-27-2020, 09:52 AM
Real pain in the dick to sell toppers. It's such a tiny market. You either end up taking months to sell, or you sell for almost nothing.

spikerS
05-27-2020, 10:04 AM
yeah, what ExtraSlow said.

They are expensive upfront for the original purchaser for the convenience and paint matching to their truck. Reselling them is a huge pain. You either sit and wait for months and months waiting for the right buyer with the same color and truck as you. Since as you said, pretty rare color, that is a time where rarity doesn't work in your favor. Expect to take a bath on your topper, and realistically, hope for ~$500 in your pocket.

I am in the opposite boat. I want a topper for my truck, but I, like you, have a rare color of truck, and again a standard box, which is a double whammy for me. Trying to find a used topper for my truck will be damn near impossible.

ExtraSlow
05-27-2020, 10:13 AM
I love hard toppers, but went to cheap vinyl roll up covers a couple of trucks ago and I think that works well for me. Cheap to buy, never need to take off. Mostly waterproof.

dirtsniffer
05-28-2020, 06:37 PM
My truck is 5 years old, but my tonneau was 1000 or so. Undercover flex. Sealing between panels wasnt good after a year or two. Manufacturer replaced no problem

ExtraSlow
05-28-2020, 07:06 PM
Being a cheap ass, and trading trucks often, this baby works for me.
https://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=82337&d=1528859789
It was $277 according to my old posts.
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/407194-Truck-modification?p=4734949#post4734949

My memory of the Leer legend topper was that I lost $1000 on it in the year and a half I owned it.

JfuckinC
05-29-2020, 08:54 AM
When I sold my topper from my Ram I found it easy and got an OK price for it. It was colour matched black to the rams though so that’s fairly common colour. I used to camp in mine too it was the best.

I’d keep the topper because they’re so handy, and buy a cheap tonneau haha.. a Tacoma topper can’t be hard to take on and off I did my Ram topper alone before and it was prob way bigger.

Brentt.ff if you go that route I have a brand new tonneau cover for a Tacoma in my garage let me know if you’re interested, I’d let it go for cheap.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-29-2020, 08:58 AM
There’s been a few times I’ve gotten trucks for export with mismatched toppers and just driven to the landfill and kicked them off.

ExtraSlow
05-29-2020, 09:06 AM
There’s been a few times I’ve gotten trucks for export with mismatched toppers and just driven to the landfill and kicked them off.

When I sold my F150 to an exporter, the guy told me that's what he was gong to do, and it was color matched. So I took it off myself, and spent 2 months trying to sell it.

JfuckinC
05-29-2020, 09:07 AM
Mine was one of those sweet looking frameless window ones though, maybe that’s why it was easier?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-29-2020, 09:09 AM
My problem is they don’t add anything to the “book” value and they make it hard to do PDR on box sides so I almost always get rid of them.

spikerS
05-29-2020, 09:21 AM
My problem is they don’t add anything to the “book” value and they make it hard to do PDR on box sides so I almost always get rid of them.

If you come across one for a 2019 F150 6'6" box, call me. I will drive out and grab it, save you going to the dump lol

I don't think I will find one in Abyss Grey, so I have resigned myself to getting pretty much any color and maybe spraying it later.

Tik-Tok
05-29-2020, 09:38 AM
I love hard toppers,

I would definitely rock a topper on my Avalanche, if they didn't charge an arm and a leg for them. No way I'm spending $3500usd on it, lol. Ive only seen one used in Canada (was being sold with the truck, and guy didn't want to part it).

I think they look neat.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-29-2020, 09:40 AM
If you come across one for a 2019 F150 6'6" box, call me. I will drive out and grab it, save you going to the dump lol

I don't think I will find one in Abyss Grey, so I have resigned myself to getting pretty much any color and maybe spraying it later.

Sure no problem.

Kijho
05-29-2020, 10:04 AM
I'd take it off and maybe just store it / hang from ceiling with some DIY hoist. I don't think it could look too ghetto considering you'll just be suspending it up there? Maybe list it for sale since you won't be in a rush to sell and if the right offer comes and you don't think you'll ever want / use it then you could sell. Maybe some day you'll have more use for it though if you're planning trips/ camping/ hunting or whatever.

You'll have a much easier and better time transporting the bikes without it on though. You could do a hitch mount bike rack but then you have it hanging off 2ft back and have to always worry about it.

Tonneau covers are disgustingly expensive like $1,100+ from Toyota (https://www.tacomatownonline.com/products/hard-tri-fold-tonneau-cover-tacoma-2005-2015?_pos=1&_sid=766430efc&_ss=r)

If I were to get a Tonneau I'd get this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01H2TONUO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Brent.ff
05-29-2020, 10:06 AM
I camped in it for 28 days one year, which is why im reluctant to sell,,

thanks for the thoughts guys, i might just see if i cant make a better rig for the bikes in the back. I hate hitch mounted racks on trucks. I'd rather go with a tailgate cover and leave the topper open

JfuckinC
05-29-2020, 10:31 AM

That’s what I used to do

B69
05-29-2020, 11:21 AM

That’s what I used to do

Man I swear I just bought your topper off of you. I drove from Calgary to Edmonton to get it haha.

Brent.ff
05-29-2020, 11:27 AM

That’s what I used to do

A) did you put anything on your window to hold it down from smashing into the bike?
B) was it a pain getting the bikes in over the tailgate when lifting in, or how did you do it?

bjstare
05-29-2020, 11:45 AM
I would definitely rock a topper on my Avalanche, if they didn't charge an arm and a leg for them. No way I'm spending $3500usd on it, lol. Ive only seen one used in Canada (was being sold with the truck, and guy didn't want to part it).

I think they look neat.

Can't tell if srs.

That thing is an abomination on every level.

JfuckinC
05-29-2020, 05:16 PM
Man I swear I just bought your topper off of you. I drove from Calgary to Edmonton to get it haha.

Haha I sold it a while back, the guy drove into Calgary to get it.

A) did you put anything on your window to hold it down from smashing into the bike?
B) was it a pain getting the bikes in over the tailgate when lifting in, or how did you do it?
A

A) no the bike handles sat against the hard plastic part that the latch mechanism ran through
B) I’d just lay the bike on their sides with the tires hanging over and lift the tail gate and stand the bikes up at the same time. That said they barely fit, so might not work in a tacoma.

Brent.ff
06-12-2020, 02:31 PM

I’m satisfied for now...

Colin_R6
06-23-2020, 08:25 PM
If you want to hang it from the ceiling, look into a Harken Hoister. I have one for my canoe, works great!

https://hoisterdirect.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=103