PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Acura TLX

jwslam
05-28-2020, 11:10 AM
I was watching this guy trying to catch some sort of "Live stream" unveiling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5hldThUydc

Underwhelming "event" along with nothing outstanding.
They took the vag seats and pretty much entire cockpit out of the RDX... Not sure how they are marketing this as "nothing like anything else in the lineup"

Here's the video and newroom

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases/release-8cf75f80abb38a8410369a59cf001066-all-new-2021-tlx-elevates-acura-sedan-performance-with-turbo-power-dedicated-platform-and-expressive-styling
52HgsMW0BbM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52HgsMW0BbM&feature=emb_logo)

88CRX
05-28-2020, 11:19 AM
No Type-S HP numbers but it does look good!

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2020/05/2021-Acura-TLX-2.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2020/05/2021-Acura-TLX-11.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

gpomp
05-28-2020, 11:54 AM
Ok now put this engine in the RDX

88CRX
05-28-2020, 11:57 AM
Ok now put this engine in the RDX

I'm sure they will.... in the RDX-S. Pretty sure they've already stated RDX-S is coming eventually.

Mitsu3000gt
05-28-2020, 12:18 PM
It's FINALLY getting a decent powertrain, have to give them props for that. There are still a few hold outs in the segment using boring N/A family sedan V6's (looking at you, Lexus).

Now...if only they would put the 2.0T from the CTR / Accord into the ILX with SH-AWD, that would be the sweet spot IMO.

Neil4Speed
05-28-2020, 12:44 PM
Good for them for still running with the sedan idea (So many companies have ditched the focus completely), and it really seems like the first leap forward in the TL line since the 04 TL that came out. I imagine that 3L Turbo will be in the mid-3's HP wise (after all even their 2.0T is getting in the high 200's).

I still have a soft spot for the brand, and want it to do well. The TLX was bland AF, although a very competent vehicle.

The car looks great, and hopefully they do something distinctive with the colors to make it stand out. It might have a chance at success considering Lexus has been sleeping at the wheel with the IS, Infiniti is pretty much doomed... but the competition is different now, the G70 will be tough to topple.

Now...if only they would put the 2.0T from the CTR / Accord into the ILX with SH-AWD, that would be the sweet spot IMO.

Agreed, I am guessing the fear that it will eat into the Accord/TLX value proposition. Although... I am sure it would be a net positive overall.

benyl
05-28-2020, 12:46 PM
Weird, I can't see that it looks much different than the current one.

Xtrema
05-28-2020, 01:25 PM
Agreed, I am guessing the fear that it will eat into the Accord/TLX value proposition. Although... I am sure it would be a net positive overall.

Chances are it will probably fill the price range for G70s.

And looks like it's now wider and bigger, RLX size.

The front suspension is interesting. The interior bit isn't as fluid as RDX. RDX based on different platform won't be as good even if it gets TTV6.

Darkane
05-28-2020, 01:51 PM
Detuned CTR engine with awd for 45k?

That’s not bad. I’m guessing it’ll be around 45k, maybe 40?! That would be amazing.

Type S will be 60ish?

jutes
05-28-2020, 02:24 PM
I'm sure they will.... in the RDX-S. Pretty sure they've already stated RDX-S is coming eventually.

Competitor to the M40i and GLC43?

C4S
05-28-2020, 02:54 PM
That is indeed sweet!

Lots bigger too, so more like E class size, and it will be a bargain as usual .. Lexus should wake up with the next IS ...

Wow ... I wonder who will buy those Hyundai G80 (or 70?)

Disoblige
05-28-2020, 02:54 PM
Hmm 3L turbo.. for the Type S.
I assume ~350 hp / 350 lb-ft of torque? That's pretty sick for a Honda sedan.

heavyD
05-28-2020, 03:50 PM
It's a very good looking car. I wish it wasn't so big though. Nice to see Acura trying at least.

bjstare
05-28-2020, 05:24 PM
Car and Driver says the Type-S will be 350hp. This excites me big time. I'm a honda/acura fanboy, and if I don't get a wagon next, I could definitely see this replacing my S4. Is it actually that big of a car?

Bring on the RDX type-S and I'll replace my wife's RDX with one of those in a couple years.

All in all, very happy they are bringing back the type-s (and it doesn't really appear to suck).

phreezee
05-28-2020, 05:41 PM
Remember they shrunk it when it went from TL to TLX. This is just a return to normal I think.

Xtrema
05-28-2020, 09:35 PM
Detuned CTR engine with awd for 45k?

That’s not bad. I’m guessing it’ll be around 45k, maybe 40?! That would be amazing.

Type S will be 60ish?

Starting at low 40s in Canada. Since it is starting mid 30s in US which is only $2K more but SHAWD is standard now.

Darkane
05-28-2020, 10:41 PM
Starting at low 40s in Canada. Since it is starting mid 30s in US which is only $2K more but SHAWD is standard now.

Well now.. that isn’t half bad is it?

In a couple years it might dip into the 30s with an incentive. Why buy a touring accord? It almost makes no sense to even consider a Honda over a base-ish TL.

Cool.

flipstah
05-29-2020, 03:36 AM
No Type-S HP numbers but it does look good!

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2020/05/2021-Acura-TLX-2.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2020/05/2021-Acura-TLX-11.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

Agreed! The blue is nice as well.

That interior is a beauty! Type S V6 mmmm Acura > Lexus in this case.

This will be a popular car!

Edit: https://youtu.be/42pwWoXi68s

bjstare
05-29-2020, 07:56 AM
The profile/proportions of this car are so awesome. Dash/axle ratio is :drool:

vengie
05-29-2020, 08:32 AM
Wow.
Acura nailed it on this one. If the type S is in the ~350hp range this thing will be a ton of fun.

Masked Bandit
05-29-2020, 10:56 AM
350 HP, AWD and Honda reliability? Yes please!

schocker
05-29-2020, 11:38 AM
I still don't understand what they are doing in the interior but I like everything else.

HiSpec
06-02-2020, 10:05 PM
Slightly off-topic but this is Acura's latest roadmap for all their vehicles between now till 2022...

https://jalopnik.com/acura-is-going-all-in-on-sporty-sedans-compact-type-s-1843865039

Imagine an ILX Type-S with a detuned CTR motor, DCT and AWD...

ExtraSlow
06-02-2020, 10:15 PM
Interested.

shakalaka
06-02-2020, 10:34 PM
I can't quit tell if I like it or not. I don't love it - I don't hate it. So for me at least in the first instance, it's just blah...not something I would turn my head for.

vengie
06-02-2020, 11:02 PM
I can't quit tell if I like it or not. I don't love it - I don't hate it. So for me at least in the first instance, it's just blah...not something I would turn my head for.

It definitely seems like a great option for you to own for 2 months

max_boost
06-03-2020, 12:49 AM

Lol you are special. Never change.

G-ZUS
06-03-2020, 08:13 AM
That's sexxxy

Darkane
06-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Slightly off-topic but this is Acura's latest roadmap for all their vehicles between now till 2022...

https://jalopnik.com/acura-is-going-all-in-on-sporty-sedans-compact-type-s-1843865039

Imagine an ILX Type-S with a detuned CTR motor, DCT and AWD...

Yeah that ILX would be sweet. although I fear it needs more than a detuned engine.

It needs full 306hp, otherwise a golf R might still be the better buy lol.

shakalaka
06-03-2020, 10:55 AM
Lol you are special. Never change.

We are all special in different ways.

:dunno:

schocker
06-03-2020, 11:10 AM
I don't think I had realized the ilx was still using the 9th gen civic as a base. At least now it should jump to the 11th gen.

rc2002
07-30-2020, 08:09 PM
Looks like 355hp for the type S model

https://driving.ca/acura/auto-news/news/acuras-tlx-type-s-will-boast-355-horsepower-about-as-much-torque/amp

bjstare
07-30-2020, 11:26 PM
That’s about the perfect amount of power for a DD, assuming it’s not too much of a porker. Fingers crossed it comes in under 4k lb, it’ll be just dandy. I’ll wait a couple years and buy one when someone else has ridden the steepest part of the depreciation curve.

blownz
08-31-2020, 02:59 PM
I am glad they finally have a decent engine for that thing! And it looks good imo. Only other issue I had with it when test driving besides the lack of power, was the shitty handling. Way too soft and boring of a ride. Hopefully they fix that too.

Mitsu3000gt
08-31-2020, 03:02 PM
If they can sell Japanese reliability with S4/340i performance, they should have a winner on their hands. I hope they don't mess up the transmission, Honda/Acura has a history of using in-house solutions instead of something like the widely adopted ZF8HP in the segment, so if they use their own I hope they do a good job. Their manual transmissions are some of the best available, but automatics not so much.

heavyD
09-01-2020, 08:32 PM
If only Honda's were reliable. Been below average for a few years now.

Darkane
09-02-2020, 07:32 AM

That’s too bad. Is it mechanical or a tech issue like screens and the such?

FraserB
09-02-2020, 07:58 AM
I am glad they finally have a decent engine for that thing! And it looks good imo. Only other issue I had with it when test driving besides the lack of power, was the shitty handling. Way too soft and boring of a ride. Hopefully they fix that too.

I had a 2020 as a loaner the other day and all I came away thinking was uninspired and dated. Definitely going to be test driving a 2021 based off the previews though.

Mitsu3000gt
09-02-2020, 10:08 AM

Do you have an objective data source for that or is it just your personal opinion? I haven't seen or read anything about that and we all know JD power is a sham.

Xtrema
09-02-2020, 10:19 AM
Do you have an objective data source for that or is it just your personal opinion? I haven't seen or read anything about that and we all know JD power is a sham.

CEO admits as much, quality issue hitting 2-3% operating margin.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2019/12/10/honda-quality-crisis-hits-profits/4389232002/

Darkane
09-02-2020, 12:20 PM
CEO admits as much, quality issue hitting 2-3% operating margin.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2019/12/10/honda-quality-crisis-hits-profits/4389232002/

Good read, thanks.

I want me some Honda from the 90s again. Hyundai is the ticket there.

Maxx Mazda
09-02-2020, 12:30 PM
Nice Accord?

heavyD
09-02-2020, 12:47 PM

JD power isn't a sham. That's internet falsehood from car fanboys that can't accept their beloved brand isn't reliable. Consumer Reports ratings mirror JD power as they both rate Honda average or below average in reliability relative to the rest of the industry. You can also see Acura fared even worse.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/11/14/consumer-reports-auto-reliability-study-2020-vehicles/2578463001/

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-us-vehicle-dependability-study

Most vehicles today are far more reliable than they were decades ago so it doesn't mean Honda's are unreliable and more that the rest of the industry has caught up and reliability is no longer a Honda selling point. It's a good sign though that Honda is acknowledging their issues and I'm sure it's something they will improve on in the coming years.

Mitsu3000gt
09-02-2020, 12:57 PM
The problem with JD, unless something has changed, is that it doesn't take into account severity of issues, it includes things like people not knowing how to use their infotainment system as reliability issues, and it gets its data from owners which are obviously not objective. They basically collect a whole bunch of unreliable/biased data and then charge companies to use their 'awards' and see said data. Not only do they pay people to fill out their surveys, but they have every incentive to sell their 'award' to the highest bidder. They also disqualify overly negative reviews by telling those people they didn't meet the demographic, because companies won't pay for their awards if they aren't positive. If your ratings are above average, they allow it. It's a similar business model to the BBB.

Personally I think it's going to be difficult for Hondas to be as reliable as they were in the past now that half their lineup has turbos.

Xtrema
09-02-2020, 01:13 PM
Yeah but if the model doesn't change it still kinda valid. JD Power IDS is why now there's a training session when you pick up a new car. Making sure the buyer understand all the tech and can pair their phone.

If you look at JD Power VDS of last 5 years, Honda went from 114 per car to 134 per car while the industry as a whole improves from 147 to 134.

Mitsu3000gt
09-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Yeah but if the model doesn't change it still kinda valid. JD Power IDS is why now there's a training session when you pick up a new car. Making sure the buyer understand all the tech and can pair their phone.

If you look at JD Power VDS of last 5 years, Honda went from 114 per car to 134 per car while the industry as a whole improves from 147 to 134.

The model is what makes it useless. Car companies literally pay them for the awards, and they further filter/control the ratings that they pay random people to give - it's about as big of a conflict of interest as it gets. As far as I know there is no third party keeping them honest either.

The only reason it exists is to give uneducated buyers something to get excited about if they know literally nothing else about the vehicle. It's strictly a marketing tool - manufactures wouldn't care about it otherwise.

Unless they are getting the data from various manufacturer warranty centers, categorized by type or severity, it's useless. Even that would present it's own challenges unless it could somehow be done by a third party to avoid manufacturers falsifying data. Surveying biased customers who the bulk of which probably haven't even read the manual regarding issues they've had is worthless IMO. Grandma having trouble getting Apple Car Play to work is not differentiated from another customer with a blown engine - and who knows if it was user error or an actual problem.

I'm all for a service that accurately compares reliability data, but JD power is not at all objective.

jutes
09-02-2020, 02:15 PM
This 3L turbo a completely new engine or was it used in other derivatives elsewhere? I'd be hesitant on picking up the first model year even though you may get away with it being a Honda. In comparison the 3.7L in my 2010 TL had zero issues at 200k and still pulled strong, where others had problems with oil consumption, coolant loss, lifter tick etc. Guess its a roll of the dice. The MDX Type-S will probably fit the bill for a fun family hauler, can't see myself having an AWD sedan like that anymore. If I want a toy to drive on a semi-daily basis it will be RWD V8, even with winter tires. IMO the TLX fits perfectly as a DD and only car in the family, but I guess situations are different.

K3RMiTdot
09-02-2020, 05:31 PM
3.0TT is a brand new engine.

npham
09-02-2020, 08:03 PM
I thought the Type-S is being delayed though, so the model you want won't be available for quite some time...the non Type-S is going to be boring as fuck to drive.

heavyD
09-03-2020, 07:14 AM
The model is what makes it useless. Car companies literally pay them for the awards, and they further filter/control the ratings that they pay random people to give - it's about as big of a conflict of interest as it gets. As far as I know there is no third party keeping them honest either.

The only reason it exists is to give uneducated buyers something to get excited about if they know literally nothing else about the vehicle. It's strictly a marketing tool - manufactures wouldn't care about it otherwise.

Unless they are getting the data from various manufacturer warranty centers, categorized by type or severity, it's useless. Even that would present it's own challenges unless it could somehow be done by a third party to avoid manufacturers falsifying data. Surveying biased customers who the bulk of which probably haven't even read the manual regarding issues they've had is worthless IMO. Grandma having trouble getting Apple Car Play to work is not differentiated from another customer with a blown engine - and who knows if it was user error or an actual problem.

I'm all for a service that accurately compares reliability data, but JD power is not at all objective.

I'm going to turn things around and ask you where you have any proof of automakers paying for awards. They pay JD Power for research but that's it. JD Power has been good for the industry;

https://jalopnik.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-jd-power-a-1818818969#:~:text=You%20probably%20know%20him%20by,%2Dtrillion%2Ddollar%20auto%20industry.

There's a particularly interesting part where he actually predicted GM's 90's slide and they laughed him off only for him to get the last laugh. At least I'm posting links to back up my statements while you are kind of passing off internet hearsay as fact.

ExtraSlow
09-03-2020, 07:16 AM
Maybe he's talking about motor trend, which IS a completly paid advertising thing.

bjstare
09-03-2020, 08:07 AM
I thought the Type-S is being delayed though, so the model you want won't be available for quite some time...the non Type-S is going to be boring as fuck to drive.

Was at an Acura dealer last week and the salesbro said the type s was gonna be early to mid next year (he said what month, I forget though).

K3RMiTdot
09-03-2020, 09:29 AM
its suppose to be in the spring of next year

Mitsu3000gt
09-03-2020, 09:40 AM
I'm going to turn things around and ask you where you have any proof of automakers paying for awards. They pay JD Power for research but that's it. JD Power has been good for the industry;

https://jalopnik.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-jd-power-a-1818818969#:~:text=You%20probably%20know%20him%20by,%2Dtrillion%2Ddollar%20auto%20industry.

There's a particularly interesting part where he actually predicted GM's 90's slide and they laughed him off only for him to get the last laugh. At least I'm posting links to back up my statements while you are kind of passing off internet hearsay as fact.

JD power looks at their "data", sees that "oh, Toyota is #1 in reliability this year", and they then approach Toyota and say if you pay us X dollars, you can use our award in your advertisements and see our data. That is literally how it works, it's not a secret. There are lots of companies that do the exact thing in various other industries as well (digital camera awards, home theater product awards, etc.), it's nothing new. It's a valid marketing tool but that's where it ends.

How is one internet article more reliable than the next? There are people on forums who work/worked for JD power, and people who work for the manufacturers that have been approached by them. It's not a secret how they operate and it's a common business model. They wouldn't have a revenue source if they didn't charge people to use their awards.

Even if you choose not to believe that's what they do, it's impossible to argue that the way they collect their data is objective.

https://www.consumerreports.org/consumerist/can-you-trust-those-awards-you-see-in-auto-ads/

And of course there is J.D. Power & Associates, who reportedly charge hundreds of thousands of dollars to car makers just for access to their survey results and then charge another big-time fee for the right to mention their awards in ads. Additionally, they provide a separate, equally pricey service where they help car companies make improvements that should result in higher ratings.

From another article, echoing exactly what I was saying above:

In recent years, J.D. Power’s IQS has come under a lot of scrutiny from publications like Car and Driver and Extreme Tech for what it classifies as a problem and how it uses consumer surveys to rank vehicles. The survey records “problems,” but this could mean an actual problem with the function of the car, or a problem a driver has personally with a feature in the car. For example, a faulty door lock and a frustration with voice command would be equally weighted as “problems,” even if the voice command is working exactly as it’s supposed to. In this sense, J.D. Power’s IQS is not reflective of quality, like the name implies, as much as consumer satisfaction.

FraserB
09-03-2020, 10:49 AM
And the equal weighting of actual problems and personal issues is what is going to hurt Acura these last few years. The new True Touch Interface, lack of Apple carplay in the infotainment for a while and differing screen layouts all come to mind as complaints that are know before signing, but get counted as issues when someone complains about them.

Mitsu3000gt
09-03-2020, 10:58 AM
And the equal weighting of actual problems and personal issues is what is going to hurt Acura these last few years. The new True Touch Interface, lack of Apple carplay in the infotainment for a while and differing screen layouts all come to mind as complaints that are know before signing, but get counted as issues when someone complains about them.

If I had to guess, probably 80-90% of people don't even bother to read the manual of a new car they buy. I can only imagine how many people have a hard time figuring out the latest infotainment systems, and think something must be broken when they can't figure it out in 5 seconds.

heavyD
09-03-2020, 12:14 PM

That's a little overblown as Toyota and Lexus still has high reliability ratings from both CR and JD power when they have amongst the worst infotainment systems in the industry. The truth is that Honda has had a lot of issues with the 1.5L engine and some of their automatic transmissions. Trying to pass their issues off as infotainment issues is simply incorrect.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-infotainment-system-brand-by-brand-guide/

The 2021 Acura TLX is likely to be no more reliable than a comparable German vehicle and possibly even less reliable. This is the reality of where Honda is right now relative to the rest of the industry.

rc2002
09-03-2020, 07:39 PM
Didn’t see this posted yet but it looks like Acura is going upmarket on pricing. Starting price is $4500 higher than previous gen.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128225_2021-acura-tlx-price-photos-specs-info

Value proposition is shrinking?

88CRX
09-03-2020, 10:36 PM
Seems like a bad idea considering all the incentives needed to move the current gen TLX’s.

jutes
09-04-2020, 06:40 AM
Didn’t see this posted yet but it looks like Acura is going upmarket on pricing. Starting price is $4500 higher than previous gen.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128225_2021-acura-tlx-price-photos-specs-info

Acura trying to compete with BMW and Mercedes now?

bjstare
09-04-2020, 07:32 AM
Acura trying to compete with BMW and Mercedes now?

Probably just Lexus? 10% Increase wont get them to German price points.

heavyD
09-04-2020, 10:32 AM
Probably just Lexus? 10% Increase wont get them to German price points.

Over $50k USD for the Type S puts them right in the wheelhouse of vehicles like the M340i.

bjstare
09-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Over $50k USD for the Type S puts them right in the wheelhouse of vehicles like the M340i.

Oh, duh. For some reason I was thinking CAD.

Darkane
09-04-2020, 04:02 PM

Typically I’d agree, but in this case it’s a hell of a lot more car than the base 2020.

Powerwise, that alone is worth the $4500 (6k?) cdn.

The new base 4cyl is like buying a base V6 2020 model. That delta is now much smaller. It claims here:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/acura/tlx

The 2020 Acura TLX has the lowest starting MSRP among luxury midsize cars, coming in at $33,000. You can replace the standard four-cylinder engine with a V6 for $3,200, and you can add all-wheel drive to models with the V6 for $2,000. Acura offers three upgrade packages that each add a few thousand dollars to the price. A fully loaded TLX will set you back nearly $50,000.

So arguably ~$1300 more?

I’m just trying to be a Honda fanboy here. Lol.

rc2002
09-04-2020, 08:57 PM
Typically I’d agree, but in this case it’s a hell of a lot more car than the base 2020.

Powerwise, that alone is worth the $4500 (6k?) cdn.

The new base 4cyl is like buying a base V6 2020 model. That delta is now much smaller. It claims here:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/acura/tlx

So arguably ~$1300 more?

I’m just trying to be a Honda fanboy here. Lol.

As a former Honda guy, I want to like them too. But for the 2021 model, $38525USD at today’s exchange rate is just North of $50k CAD. That’s assuming Canada doesn’t get hit with a premium to the exchange rate. $50k+ for a 272HP 4 cylinder FWD just doesn’t feel like good value to me.

schocker
09-04-2020, 09:32 PM
Maybe Canada won't get the FWD? Acura website lists SH-AWD, Tech, A-Spec and Platnium. SH-AWD starts at $43,990 which doesn't seem terrible. I like the idea of this car but still a yikes from me on the interior.

https://www.acura.ca/future-vehicles/tlx2021

riander5
09-05-2020, 11:24 AM

https://www.calgarybmw.ca/en/new-inventory/bmw/3_series

Not seeing too many 340's anywhere close to 50k

The big thing about Germans is whatever you see on their site, is never remotely close to what the dealers are offering at.. from my research anyhow.

heavyD
09-05-2020, 12:29 PM
https://www.calgarybmw.ca/en/new-inventory/bmw/3_series

Not seeing too many 340's anywhere close to 50k

The big thing about Germans is whatever you see on their site, is never remotely close to what the dealers are offering at.. from my research anyhow.

Yes and you won't see any Type S's close to $50k in Canada. US pricing is being referenced here for both. I agree with BMW as the price on their site isn't close to what you can get them for as I have paid significantly less on both of my BMW purchases.

rc2002
09-05-2020, 02:18 PM
I never thought to check the Acura.ca website, I didn’t think pricing would be up yet. Looks like these are better value in Canada.

I checked acura.com and the starting price there is listed as $37,500 which is less than the $38525 on the previous link I posted (maybe the MA website has dated info? or maybe it includes freight?)

For comparable base model AWD in US vs Canada, it would be $39,500USD vs $43,990CAD which is an effective currency conversion of 0.90. That’s actually pretty decent.

Darkane
09-05-2020, 03:11 PM
I never thought to check the Acura.ca website, I didn’t think pricing would be up yet. Looks like these are better value in Canada.

I checked acura.com and the starting price there is listed as $37,500 which is less than the $38525 on the previous link I posted (maybe the MA website has dated info? or maybe it includes freight?)

For comparable base model AWD in US vs Canada, it would be $39,500USD vs $43,990CAD which is an effective currency conversion of 0.90. That’s actually pretty decent.

Woohoo Honda. Off topic but the limited civic type R is 45k USD. Should ring in around $49,999 here.

schocker
09-24-2020, 03:08 PM
Sounds pretty good from the first drives of the 2.0 shawd
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/tlx/2021/2021-acura-tlx-first-drive-review/
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/24/2021-acura-tlx-first-drive/

gpomp
09-24-2020, 04:06 PM
Who else other than diehard Honda fanboys would buy this over a Genesis G70?

Mitsu3000gt
09-24-2020, 04:10 PM
Woohoo Honda. Off topic but the limited civic type R is 45k USD. Should ring in around $49,999 here.

$54,600 here in Canada. $10K is too much for primarily lighter wheels and yellow paint, IMHO, but I get the appeal to collectors. I would have liked to see it get a power bump for that kind of money.

- - - Updated - - -

The Genesis has pretty brutal residuals and resale, that could be enough for some people. I don't think the 3.0T version is out yet for reviews either. 2.0T reviews have so far been positive.

Not really my cup of tea either, but I think a performance car with "Japanese reliability" will sell well.

Xtrema
09-24-2020, 04:38 PM

G70 is more a ILX size.

Valid comparison would be G80.

heavyD
09-25-2020, 10:05 AM
Sounds pretty good from the first drives of the 2.0 shawd
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/tlx/2021/2021-acura-tlx-first-drive-review/
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/24/2021-acura-tlx-first-drive/

You should watch The Straightpipes video review where they demonstrate how awful the new 10 speed transmission is. The delayed shifting (we are talking seconds not milliseconds) would be a deal breaker in an entry level compact car and is totally unacceptable at this price point. When will Honda ever offer a good automatic transmission?

gpomp
09-25-2020, 10:30 AM
You should watch The Straightpipes video review where they demonstrate how awful the new 10 speed transmission is. The delayed shifting (we are talking seconds not milliseconds) would be a deal breaker in an entry level compact car and is totally unacceptable at this price point. When will Honda ever offer a good automatic transmission?

Their 8 speed DCT is pretty decent. Too bad they don't put it in anything worth buying.

Xtrema
09-25-2020, 11:07 AM
G70 is more a ILX size.

Valid comparison would be G80.

Ok. After watching reviews, this is the weirdest sized car ever.

Longer and wider and A6 and E class.

Has trunk and rear leg room of compact class. Has same rear leg room and somehow even less head room then G70.

Pretty porky at 3920lbs for a 4 banger. Whopping 500lb heavier than an A4.

heavyD
09-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Ok. After watching reviews, this is the weirdest sized car ever.

Longer and wider and A6 and E class.

Has trunk and rear leg room of compact class. Has same rear leg room and somehow even less head room then G70.

Pretty porky at 3920lbs for a 4 banger. Whopping 500lb heavier than an A4.

Yeah that doesn't bode well for the A-Spec which will likely weigh as much as a mid-size SUV.

Pauly Boy
06-15-2021, 10:25 AM
Configurator is up for the Type S.

$60,000k CAD on the nose MSRP + $500 for paint that's not grey (lol).

Initial residual and rates (4.99) are horrible - It actually makes an S4 or M340 cheaper if leasing. Even then, S4 is 60.6k & an M340i is $64k which are arguable much better options for essentially the same price...

Add in the fact this thing is heavy & huge with a tiny interior and no cargo space, I don't know who'll be buying these outside of the hardest of Honda fanbois... I mean, I'm in for another cheap lease if it comes my way as the regular model 270hp turbo4 with SH-AWD is decent enough, but not gonna be banging on the door for one.

bjstare
06-15-2021, 02:59 PM
I think the value prop for this is when it's 3 years old. Zero chance I'd want an S4 or 340i off warranty, but I'd have no worries about this.

Masked Bandit
06-15-2021, 03:58 PM
I think the value prop for this is when it's 3 years old. Zero chance I'd want an S4 or 340i off warranty, but I'd have no worries about this.

Bingo!

flipstah
06-15-2021, 06:25 PM

You mean you don’t want a 700$ magnetic shock to replace?

Xtrema
06-15-2021, 07:10 PM

Will see. Still a 1st ever twin turbo V6 from AHM and Acura is basically an American car at this point.

K3RMiTdot
06-15-2021, 10:33 PM
Canada is only getting 240 units for MY2021

riander5
06-16-2021, 06:53 AM

I understand the Audi but BMW has ironed out their 6 cylinders.... wouldnt have an issue buying them off warranty

rc2002
06-16-2021, 07:37 AM
Will see. Still a 1st ever twin turbo V6 from AHM and Acura is basically an American car at this point.

I agree with this, can’t just assume it will be a quality car because it’s Acura. My parents had a 2004 and it was not typical Honda quality.

Acura always seems to be a half step behind it’s competition when it comes to performance and NVH but priced lower. In this case it looks like the price isn’t much better than it’s competitors.

ThePenIsMightier
06-16-2021, 07:53 AM
The Infiniti Q50 Red Sport looks more appealing, to me. It's that a competitor or have I accidentally compared an orange to a Cummins?

Neil4Speed
06-16-2021, 07:58 AM
I agree with this, can’t just assume it will be a quality car because it’s Acura. My parents had a 2004 and it was not typical Honda quality.

Acura always seems to be a half step behind it’s competition when it comes to performance and NVH but priced lower. In this case it looks like the price isn’t much better than it’s competitors.

From the US reviews, it seems to be about 10k below the comparable spec S4, M340 etc. I think the product offering is good (similar to what the Type S was before), but a step down from what the Germans are offering. Probably 90% of the car for 85% of the price kind of thing. People might make the same comparison to the TLX-S vs the Stinger GT. This is a tough segment to compete in, Genesis, Infiniti, Cadillac also offering some interesting propositions. If the IS 500 ends up costing only a little more, its going to make it even tougher.

I was happy with the interior in the RDX A-Spec, but I have to say some of the color combos for the TLX-S in the interior look very Canadian Tire sports package.

K3RMiTdot
06-16-2021, 08:22 AM
The Infiniti Q50 Red Sport looks more appealing, to me. It's that a competitor or have I accidentally compared an orange to a Cummins?

comparable. very close in price. has more HP, but Classic Nissan/Infiniti old car no updating.

heavyD
06-16-2021, 08:29 AM
It's good that Acura isn't making a lot of these as they would have to discount them heavily as they are too big, heavy, and slow for the money relative to it's competition. Who would have thought the day would come that Honda would be making sport model engines with a 6200 RPM redline. Hondas these days are no more reliable than most brands to I just don't see the point in buying a vehicle like this especially when BMW has upped their reliability significantly over the last decade.

Pauly Boy
06-16-2021, 09:52 AM
I have to say some of the color combos for the TLX-S in the interior look very Canadian Tire sports package.

Yeah the Acura forums were pointing out that you can pick/choose the interiors but are stuck up here being locked to the exterior colour choice. I don't even think we get the Orchid 2-tone on any of them which would be my choice over "porno red".

FraserB
06-16-2021, 10:14 AM
Yeah the Acura forums were pointing out that you can pick/choose the interiors but are stuck up here being locked to the exterior colour choice. I don't even think we get the Orchid 2-tone on any of them which would be my choice over "porno red".

Really disappointed with this and it makes no sense really. Being locked to the red interior with the white exterior on my RDX would have been a deal killer for me.

The price of accessories has also jumped up, even floor mats and badging are more expensive with no "bundle deals"

88CRX
06-16-2021, 10:45 AM
Really disappointed with this and it makes no sense really. Being locked to the red interior with the white exterior on my RDX would have been a deal killer for me.

The price of accessories has also jumped up, even floor mats and badging are more expensive with no "bundle deals"

But Red Interior > Black Interior for all the colours.

jwslam
06-16-2021, 10:56 AM
"porno red".
You don't like my vulva?

Xtrema
06-16-2021, 11:38 AM

N54 debut in 2005. They are literally 16 years behind the curve. BUT, as the Germans are now downsizing to 4 bangers, having a TTv6 may make it stand out.

Again, it's the same problem Genesis is fighting. It's may have a $10K less MSRP compared to Germans, but when it comes to leasing it's the same price as Germans.

Pauly Boy
06-16-2021, 11:45 AM
You don't like my vulva?

:poosie:

If the auto makers would go back to using it tastefully as an accent colour, yes.

heavyD
06-16-2021, 11:55 AM
You don't like my vulva?

Looks pretty tasteful to me although I think red interior works best with white, black, and grey. I think a grey or tan interior would look the best with a blue exterior. I find black leather interiors to look a little drab.

Pauly Boy
06-16-2021, 01:11 PM

Here's the Orchid from the NSX, that would be so much better than the red or straight black options.

heavyD
06-16-2021, 03:06 PM
That's your opinion though as it doesn't play well off silver in that interior. I would take red, tan, or black over that color as a lot of people don't want to have to wash denim transfer or other stains off their seats monthly.

K3RMiTdot
06-17-2021, 04:06 PM
The restriction in interior colors is only in Canada. You can pretty much do whatever combo in the US