PDA

View Full Version : BMW Pass restraint fault

03ozwhip
05-29-2020, 11:26 AM
alright so over the last couple of days, my 535 has been sitting at BMW getting a few things looked at before my warranty expires.

Doing an oil change, Wastegate rattle was happening (at least sounded like it, tech noticed it and agreed) and a passenger restraint fault. Last year they did fix and replace a few things, including the OFHG. Now they say its leaking again, no problem, they fix it and do an oil change and now, apparently the "wastegate rattle" is gone. Hm wierd, but ok.

Now, I have an extended warranty to cover what I thought was everything except the audio components. Well, they found a fault in the passenger seat mat and so the whole seat needs replacing....not covered under warranty and they want 3k for a replacement.

This could be a safety issue, you never really know. How could they possibly deny a claim for a faulty airbag sensor, but they'll replace a trunk switch?

Is there anything I could do about this? I mean when I bought the warranty, I thought i looked it all over, but maybe airbags weren't listed. I would have thought that they'd be covered any way as its a safety measure.

So, what say you?

born2workoncars
06-04-2020, 04:59 PM
Are you asking us if you have warranty coverage for this issue? Post the details of the warranty.

03ozwhip
06-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Well you would think any warranty would cover a safety device, but it clearly doesn't.

They offered to pay half of the 3k and im still not going to do that. Ive accepted that warranty doesn't cover it, but i don't understand it.

Should I pursue this any further with bmw canada or my coverage 1 warranty or just walk away?

jaylo
06-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Can you just buy the bottom mat where the sensor is? For the E90 3-series, the bottom part of the seat can be replaced vs the entire seat.

A lot of manufacturers do not cover the entire SRS. I remember in my Honda I had a fault on my driver's side buckle and Honda did not want to cover it.

ExtraSlow
06-05-2020, 11:51 AM
Extended warranty is generally useless. Factory warranty is only occasionally useless.

revelations
06-05-2020, 12:17 PM
Extended warranty is generally useless. Factory warranty is only occasionally useless.

Not always - i know a former owner of a 2008? diesel F350 where the extended warranty paid out about 25,000$ in engine repairs over 2 years.

03ozwhip
06-05-2020, 12:52 PM

Its why I dont usually buy them, but I did this time and I'm glad I did, because my last bill before this was 8k and it cost me nothing.

ThePenIsMightier
06-06-2020, 09:21 AM
Its why I dont usually buy them, but I did this time and I'm glad I did, because my last bill before this was 8k and it cost me nothing.

Fuck a duck, that's a lot of money for a new car service.
I'd push harder based on your argument that it's the failure of a critical safety component.

03ozwhip
06-06-2020, 08:04 PM
Fuck a duck, that's a lot of money for a new car service.
I'd push harder based on your argument that it's the failure of a critical safety component.

It wasn't a service, it had a bunch of issues, some I didn't even know about, but they found, like the OFHG for example.

I brought it in this time before warranty expires and I had to pay out of pocket for everything because they couldn't replicate my issues and then the seat issue.

Maybe on Monday ill put a call into BMW Canada.

max_boost
06-06-2020, 08:43 PM
Insane. BMW scares me. Had the transfer case go on my 328 thank god for warranty or else $6k bill

Basically the only coverage I want is EVERYTHING lol ain't nobody got time to comb tHRough that fine fine print or maybe just have shakalaka to send them a letter lol

ExtraSlow
06-06-2020, 09:17 PM
Having no warranty is better. dealers are shit.

03ozwhip
06-06-2020, 10:30 PM
Insane. BMW scares me. Had the transfer case go on my 328 thank god for warranty or else $6k bill

Basically the only coverage I want is EVERYTHING lol ain't nobody got time to comb tHRough that fine fine print or maybe just have shakalaka to send them a letter lol

Thats the thing. Even the everything (which was a step above the one I have) didn't cover air bags

Misterman
06-07-2020, 01:47 AM
Other thing you could potentially do to save some bucks, is find a seat from a wrecker. Pretty easy to clear the airbag codes with ISTA.