PDA

View Full Version : Chinese restaurant recommendations (split)

Buster
05-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Walked into my usual western Chinese food joint today and much like Starbucks, they are staying as takeout only place as they are too small to carry out all the rules in stage 1.

Grabs 2 boxes and did a semi-business lunch at a park bench eating like hobos under the sun. Ain't bad.

WFH is definitely irritating to some.

Where can I find a non western Chinese food place

Xtrema
05-27-2020, 08:25 PM

Any places that doesn't serve ginger beef. :D

max_boost
05-27-2020, 08:41 PM

Ho Won is my fave :drool:

killramos
05-27-2020, 08:42 PM
Ho Won is my fave :drool:

Ho Wan great for squid!

Great Taste right next door is also tasty, but I’m white so can’t comment on authenticity.

Tik-Tok
05-27-2020, 08:47 PM
Any places that doesn't serve ginger beef. :D

If they don't speak a word of English, and there's two different menu's, you're on the right track.

msommers
05-27-2020, 08:55 PM
Fresh Taste Corner
Kam Han Szechuan House

ercchry
05-27-2020, 08:57 PM

Fancy Taste of China down in deer run surprisingly fits the above criteria... mom sits in the back watching Chinese TV and does the cooking when called upon... zero English, and I believe it was 3 menus when you factored in the brunch dim sum menu :rofl:

Buster
05-27-2020, 11:03 PM
When COVID is over I need some OP beyonder asians to take me for some real food. Even when I ask for it, they never give whitey here the good stuff.

bleu
05-27-2020, 11:41 PM
Ho Wan great for squid!

Best.

Disoblige
05-27-2020, 11:47 PM
When COVID is over I need some OP beyonder asians to take me for some real food. Even when I ask for it, they never give whitey here the good stuff.
Learn chinese and shock the shit out of them. Guaranteed you'll get the good stuff. But you gotta be fluent with little to no accent.

Buster
05-27-2020, 11:51 PM
Learn chinese and shock the shit out of them. Guaranteed you'll get the good stuff. But you gotta be fluent with little to no accent.

Can I just go with the secret handshake instead?

max_boost
05-28-2020, 01:25 AM
Fancy Taste of China down in deer run surprisingly fits the above criteria... mom sits in the back watching Chinese TV and does the cooking when called upon... zero English, and I believe it was 3 menus when you factored in the brunch dim sum menu :rofl:
Lol In between orders today I watched probably 8 episodes of brooklyn99
Buster you come to the right place.
Disoblige I had a brother do that to me last week lol but he dropped it in Mandarin and I was like wtf going on here but I shouldn’t be that shocked as I know Guangzhou has a lot of African homies and yup, he said he grew up there.

Xtrema
05-28-2020, 12:10 PM
Kam Han Szechuan House

Not OG owners tho it looks like but they kept the English name.

NVM: The Canyon Meadows one still have the same Chinese name. Spiller road one changed hand and looks like it offer more authentic Szechuan cruisine.

sabad66
05-28-2020, 12:38 PM
Never eaten here, but my mainlander buddy tells me this place is very authentic:
https://www.cheftianrestaurant.com/

The_Rural_Juror
05-28-2020, 12:46 PM

pouKIooZS8U?t=53

ExtraSlow
05-28-2020, 12:47 PM
Never eaten here, but my mainlander buddy tells me this place is very authentic:
I drive past it, and have always wondered. But I can support a chieftain.

TomcoPDR
05-30-2020, 09:16 PM
Eastern fortune, Golden Inn, mentioned I like Great taste when over 3-4 peeps as their portions aren’t really 1 person friendly so you definitely should go with friends, fam.

Oh theres also Golden Island

redblack
05-30-2020, 09:21 PM
Eastern fortune dinner for two off of the Chinese menu. Yum!

ExtraSlow
05-30-2020, 10:26 PM
I used to go to golden inn late night and hassle my buddies father there.

TomcoPDR
05-30-2020, 11:17 PM
I used to go to golden inn late night and hassle my buddies father there.
Why use past tense, live in the moment, let’s go.

ExtraSlow
05-30-2020, 11:19 PM
I'm there buddy. Let's do this.

jwslam
05-30-2020, 11:37 PM
Fresh Taste Corner
Kam Han Szechuan House
That's a little extreme on the non-western food. It's like eating very Mexican before being intro'ed by Taco Time.

pouKIooZS8U?t=53
This dude speaks more Chinese dialects than me and I'm already 3 fluent + 4 I can understand.
He's into the FuZhou and less popular dialects that don't really appear here.
But his and her accent is still banana thick.

roopi
05-31-2020, 01:56 AM
Bills Peking House is where I go in the SE.

CRXguy
06-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Bills Peking House is where I go in the SE.

Same. For being in the suburbs, a lot of Asians dine there! :thumbsup:

Buster
06-02-2020, 11:27 PM
I still think I need some OG asian beyonders to vouch for me at the restaurant.

TomcoPDR
06-03-2020, 12:00 AM
I still think I need some OG asian beyonders to vouch for me at the restaurant.

If you resemble even halfy close to your avatar, imho, most Asians in the restaurant business love bowing down to an image of a powerful white man. So I don’t think you’d have an issue.

Just sit down and enjoy, Seinfeld for four...

max_boost
06-03-2020, 12:48 AM
That's a little extreme on the non-western food. It's like eating very Mexican before being intro'ed by Taco Time.

This dude speaks more Chinese dialects than me and I'm already 3 fluent + 4 I can understand.
He's into the FuZhou and less popular dialects that don't really appear here.
But his and her accent is still banana thick.

Impressive.

msommers
06-03-2020, 06:45 AM

Ha that's fair and every time I've gone it's been with someone Chinese because they're excited to get to me try shit. I'm like this is what I'm allergic to, otherwise game for whatever. Fresh Taste I liked the most

ExtraSlow
06-03-2020, 08:17 AM
What do you chinese guys think about delicious country in chinatown? Went once, liked it, was with white people, but the one dude said it was "more like food really is in china".

Sorath
06-03-2020, 08:21 AM
What do you chinese guys think about delicious country in chinatown? Went once, liked it, was with white people, but the one dude said it was "more like food really is in china".

sucks now used to be better.

New place down south is quite good for dim sum and dinner - M Palace(old whitespot on mcleod)

legendboy
06-04-2020, 11:06 AM
Big fan of Sun BBQ on center street

djdragan
07-22-2020, 12:42 PM

Has anyone tried this place? Szechuan Restaurant a little further down 16th has been one of our go to’s for a while now. Have seen this place and am wondering how it compares?

flipstah
07-22-2020, 01:19 PM
If you resemble even halfy close to your avatar, imho, most Asians in the restaurant business love bowing down to an image of a powerful white man. So I don’t think you’d have an issue.

Just sit down and enjoy, Seinfeld for four...

Cartwright... CARTWRIGHT! I'M CARTWRIGHT.

D'z Nutz
07-22-2020, 01:40 PM
Cartwright... CARTWRIGHT! I'M CARTWRIGHT.

Every time I go to Lee Valley haha

https://goo.gl/maps/1GcmNqDRr64zmVfQA