PDA

View Full Version : Fresh fruit and vegetables - are you honestly eating enough?

speedog
06-01-2020, 12:27 AM
It's become apparent over the years that I've been on beyond that meat, breads and starchy produce (beans, corn, potatoes) are a good part of many member's diets. Leafy greens and fruit just do not seem to rate all that high and it's not just on beyond - far too many people my wife and I know are just meat/bread/potatoes people and far too many of those people have had serious health complications because of their diet selections.

Just late this afternoon during the supper hour I did our weekly grocery run - greens purchased included two types of lettuce, fiddlehead greens, mushrooms, fresh peas, Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, celery, kale, cilantro, dill, parsley, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, peppers, broccolli and bananas. I'm probably missing a few things as well but fresh greens and veggies have alway figured prominently in our diet.

Others that we know, their homemade version of natchos is natcho chips with just cheese - no diced tomatoes or peppers or onions. No fresh fruit in their diets at all, veggies are amiss as well and they all have health issues.

As such, what of other beyond members - are fresh fruit and vegetables a regular part of your diet? If so, then could you be eating more of them? If not, the why not? Aside from all of this, if you are eating your greens, are you doing so by heavily cooking/frying them so as to effectively make them more palatable to you?

The_Rural_Juror
06-01-2020, 06:12 AM
What a delightful and introspective midnight thread!

We balance our my spam addiction with lots of greens. Basically almost anything you can find at Costco plus whatever looks good at Superstore. Cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, asparagus, bok choy, yu choy, celery, corn etc. Same goes for fruits and we find frozen blueberries to be a handy thing to have.

We further balance out what we eat with seafood and Mexican chilli chips.

ExtraSlow
06-01-2020, 06:46 AM
I eat some, but certainly not "enough".

SKR
06-01-2020, 06:59 AM
I try to eat several vegetables a year.

The_Rural_Juror
06-01-2020, 07:40 AM

I bet they are all beets too.

ExtraSlow
06-01-2020, 07:43 AM
When I eat beets, I stain my sheets.

killramos
06-01-2020, 07:49 AM
Ketchup and pizzas are vegetables. Congress says.

SKR
06-01-2020, 07:50 AM
I bet they are all beets too.

Peas are my go to. I bet I've had hundreds of them already this year.

Tik-Tok
06-01-2020, 08:02 AM
I eat some, but certainly not "enough".

Ditto. I eat whatever veggies my wife makes for supper, but have never been a "fruit snack" guy. I have been consciously trying to change that recently at work, but at home I'm still reaching for junk food for snacks.

flipstah
06-01-2020, 08:43 AM
I definitely don't eat enough but I do love snacking on Mandarins every day. So sweet :drool:

msommers
06-01-2020, 09:00 AM
We eat a lot of veg, different types as well. Fruit not so much except for select things when BC Fruit is ripe. Berries are common, and I eat at least one banana a day (it's crazy the amount of potassium you're supposed to get every day). I don't really like apples that much, oranges are really hit or miss (except Cara cara when available), melons here in Canada generally suck.

A790
06-01-2020, 09:18 AM
3 servings of fruits per day, at least 3 servings of vegetables per day. All I drink is water and coffee (and beer on weekends).

sabad66
06-01-2020, 09:40 AM
Does vegetable oil count?

The_Rural_Juror
06-01-2020, 09:50 AM
Does vegetable oil count?

Absolutely!

Buster
06-01-2020, 10:33 AM
a steak and a multivitamin. complete meal.

killramos
06-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Is weed a vegetable?

max_boost
06-01-2020, 01:34 PM
a steak and a multivitamin. complete meal.

haha yes it's legit too

I keep my diet fairly simple. I never over eat so I have that going for me. Two meals a day, always a carb, a protein and veggies with each meal. My vitamin game is fairly strong and I get my fruits through fresh fruit bubble tea.

A790
06-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Is weed a vegetable?

It's a fucking food group in my house.

JRSC00LUDE
06-01-2020, 02:47 PM

It's easier if you remove the wheelchair.

OP - I find I perform best when I have a heavy animal protein/fat base with some vegetables. I'll try to consume some avocado and usually it's frozen veg stir-fried up as an add-on to a larger portion of meat. I don't see a huge benefit from fruit and limit it primarily to occasional berries and mango. Apple/banana once in a blue moon.

Ca_Silvia13
06-01-2020, 03:17 PM
This year my household made a good push to remove carbs and substitute it with a larger serving of veges. It's been a little rough because the wife loves her pasta. It's been good so far, i certainly don't miss the carbs.

ExtraSlow
06-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Does this meal get closer to speedog approval?

Ate an apple this afternoon and desert was fresh cherries too.

killramos
06-01-2020, 07:24 PM
I had a poutine for dinner. Pretty sure that’s vegetables.

Tik-Tok
06-01-2020, 08:35 PM
I had a poutine for dinner. Pretty sure that’s vegetables.

Potato... Check
Cheese... The cow ate grass, so Check
Gravy... see above

Yeap, it's a vegetable.

dj_rice
06-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Hahah yall are funny.

I use to get some mad hamstring cramps/charlie horses like clockwork every 1-2 months. If it happened in one leg, the few days after, it would occur in the opposite leg, and always during when I'm sleeping at 2-3am. Wuhan happened so I started munching on romaine lettuce, cucumbers, oranges/mandarins, and almonds as a daily staple. Haven't had a cramp since. No idea which one of it has made it stop but I'll continue.

msommers
06-02-2020, 11:11 AM
You may have been deficient in basic minerals like Potassium, Calcium or Magnesium.

T-Dubbs
06-02-2020, 11:16 AM
A few vitamin gummies a day keeps the doctor away!

jwslam
06-02-2020, 11:27 AM
This year my household made a good push to remove carbs and substitute it with a larger serving of veges. It's been a little rough because the wife loves her pasta. It's been good so far, i certainly don't miss the carbs.
Would be so much easier if cauliflower rice didn't fry up into mush all the time...

AndyL
06-02-2020, 12:00 PM
Real fruit gummybear multivitamins for the win.

So I just eat those, steak and pasta.

:rofl:

Buster
06-02-2020, 12:40 PM
Hahah yall are funny.

I use to get some mad hamstring cramps/charlie horses like clockwork every 1-2 months. If it happened in one leg, the few days after, it would occur in the opposite leg, and always during when I'm sleeping at 2-3am. Wuhan happened so I started munching on romaine lettuce, cucumbers, oranges/mandarins, and almonds as a daily staple. Haven't had a cramp since. No idea which one of it has made it stop but I'll continue.

Go get some yellow mustard packets and keep them on hand.

Ca_Silvia13
06-02-2020, 01:15 PM
Hahah yall are funny.

From my experience leg cramps in the middle of the night was always atributed to dehydration. How much water do you drink everyday?

dj_rice
06-02-2020, 01:51 PM
From my experience leg cramps in the middle of the night was always atributed to dehydration. How much water do you drink everyday?

I probably drink TOO much water if thats a thing. At work I'll drink a 2L thermo jug of ice water, and when maybe another 1L-2L of ice water when I get home

killramos
06-02-2020, 02:09 PM
I probably drink TOO much water if thats a thing. At work I'll drink a 2L thermo jug of ice water, and when maybe another 1L-2L of ice water when I get home

I would say that’s far from too much especially if you have any cardio in your day.

tirebob
06-05-2020, 06:44 AM
I take lunch to work every day and it consists of mostly raw veg like red pepper, carrot, celery, cucumber, and some hummus for dipping. With it I will usually have a bit of cheese, maybe some leftover chicken and a few kalamata olives. That is really it. Never seem to get bored by it. Just start snacking on it about noon and good to go. Usually... Lately though the boys in the shop eating their fast food has had me craving fries or chips which sucks. I am starting to get sucked back onto the carb train slowly and really have to get back off!