PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Adafruit sensors in home projects?

ExtraSlow
06-01-2020, 08:40 AM
Looking to build a network of temperature sensors around the house, because, of course.
Seems like adafruit has lots of amazing sensors. I think you need a raspberry pi or similar to run them.
This type of sensor:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2652
Or
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3251
Anyone do this? Longer term, I am considering using a raspberry pi as my thermostat with some if-then type logic based on interior and exterior temperatures.

pheoxs
06-01-2020, 08:54 AM
I love adafruit so much. Also https://www.sparkfun.com/ has lots of cool modules as well.

The_Penguin
06-01-2020, 09:22 AM
I use esp8266 based modules with DHT22 temp/humidity sensors.
Cheap, built-in wifi, and they speak MQTT.

The_Penguin
06-01-2020, 09:26 AM
I love adafruit so much. Also https://www.sparkfun.com/ has lots of cool modules as well.

Much cheaper on Amazon, also a Western Canada site has good prices as well
https://www.universal-solder.ca/

ExtraSlow
06-01-2020, 09:31 AM
I need to learn more about this stuff. My wife has done some cool things with a raspberry pi, but I've stayed out of her way mostly. She does some data analysis type coding for work, so she's more fluent than me. I haven't coded since university.

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm looking to distribute a bunch of these sensors around the property, I think I need to make sure each node has pretty cheap parts.

Want to get the network of temperature sensors working before I hack up my own HVAC control system.

AndyL
06-01-2020, 09:31 AM
Actually with adafruit you really should check solarbotics.

Local distributor - often way cheaper.

Ds18b20 for plain temp - watch the dht11 it doesn't always play nice.

The_Penguin
06-01-2020, 09:39 AM
I have several different types of sensors etc. The nice thing is they all talk to Home Assistant so regardless of type/technology it's all available in one place.
Seems my deck sensor might have stopped reporting. Edit, nope its 19 in the sun on the deck.

mazdavirgin
06-01-2020, 11:20 PM
I need to learn more about this stuff. My wife has done some cool things with a raspberry pi, but I've stayed out of her way mostly. She does some data analysis type coding for work, so she's more fluent than me. I haven't coded since university.

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm looking to distribute a bunch of these sensors around the property, I think I need to make sure each node has pretty cheap parts.

Want to get the network of temperature sensors working before I hack up my own HVAC control system.

Really depends how you want to go about things. If you're handy with electronics then you can mcgiver your own with something like an arduino and some random shields of your choosing. Coding wise you don't really need to know much since it's pretty plug and play... Most of these things have all the code already written for you.

There are commercial products that already do what you're looking to build so it just depends on what you're aiming to get out of this. Here's an example product: https://www.ubibot.io/ubibot-ws1/

HVAC wise residential furnaces are pretty shit when it comes to trying to control them since they typically are only on or off. There's usually no ability to light selective burners or to actually really control the damn things. PID control is really the thing that should be put into place for temperature control but you'd need some fancy furnace for that to work...

ExtraSlow
06-02-2020, 07:11 AM
Ubibot looks cool, but $80 usd/ea. Really hoping I CN get lower unit pricing because this project is cooler with 6-10 sensors.

The_Penguin
06-02-2020, 07:39 AM
Ubibot looks cool, but $80 usd/ea. Really hoping I CN get lower unit pricing because this project is cooler with 6-10 sensors.

Those look similar to these:
https://store.wirelesstag.net/collections/all Bit cheaper.

I have 5 of them, plus the tag manager. Range is good, I have one in the deep freeze, one in the fridge. Also the one in the bedroom is on the 2nd floor, tag mgr in the basement, no issues.

speedog
06-02-2020, 08:08 AM
Fuck, I feel old asking this but why?

ExtraSlow
06-02-2020, 08:20 AM
Fuck, I feel old asking this but why?

I have no particularly practical reason. Basically just a hobby project.

I think data is neat, and I have essentially zero hobbies.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2020, 05:27 PM

I have 5 of them, plus the tag manager. Range is good, I have one in the deep freeze, one in the fridge. Also the one in the bedroom is on the 2nd floor, tag mgr in the basement, no issues.
This looks cool, just placed the order. Will report back when they arrive. Look more like a complete product than the adafruit sensors, which would have needed some pretty serious assembly to be as functional.

mazdavirgin
06-04-2020, 05:46 PM
This looks cool, just placed the order. Will report back when they arrive. Look more like a complete product than the adafruit sensors, which would have needed some pretty serious assembly to be as functional.

The adafruit stuff is "simple" until you have a problem and then you need an oscilloscope. Most people follow by rote the instructions they find online without really knowing what they are doing in terms of the sensors. However if you're trying to build something different from standard then yeah you're wadding into more the side of the electronics hobbyist. That's fine if that's what you want to do but you're really going to need a soldering iron, a multi meter and possibly an oscilloscope.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2020, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I suspect that the fact that I got confused and frustrated just looking at the catalog means they are not for me. The "wireless tag" website makes it all sound pretty seamless. We shall see what I can do with them when they arrive.

ExtraSlow
07-02-2020, 11:44 AM
Received the Wireless Sensor tags this morning. Ordered in evening June 4th, got them morning July 2, that's probably about what I expected, although I'm spoiled by Amazon Prime for everything else.

Got the first two set up just to test the system out. Dead easy. Will be positinging the three otehrs around the property and messing with it through the next few days.

The_Penguin
07-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Received the Wireless Sensor tags this morning. Ordered in evening June 4th, got them morning July 2, that's probably about what I expected, although I'm spoiled by Amazon Prime for everything else.

Got the first two set up just to test the system out. Dead easy. Will be positinging the three otehrs around the property and messing with it through the next few days.
Yeah, they're quite easy, and the range is pretty surprising, especially when 2 of mine are inside metal fridge/freezers

ExtraSlow
07-02-2020, 07:34 PM
I have the plug in USB type. Here's what I know so far:

speedog
07-02-2020, 08:12 PM

Better than rage2 data presentations?

Almost scintillating.

ThePenIsMightier
07-03-2020, 07:35 PM

I'd say you're in a classic A-wave behaviour that you can ride out before shorting your spread to cover your ok board potato.

firebane
07-03-2020, 10:44 PM

Those look interesting but boy would the costs add up fast.

ExtraSlow
07-04-2020, 07:42 AM
I think you'd end up spending a lot of the adafruit stuff if if you didn't already have a bunch of spare RPi's around. In the end, it's not going to be cheap with any option. My 5 sensors plus power adapters so they can be plugged in to 120V and the tag manager plus shipping was $275. That's a lot for sure, but there's no additional costs outside of it.

mr2mike
07-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Anyone build a digital dash for their car yet?
That's all I'd want to try and do.

https://blog.arduino.cc/2019/07/11/a-custom-mazda-mx5-miata-tft-cockpit-gauge-cluster/

ExtraSlow
02-10-2021, 09:10 AM
Just checking in to say i have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of my wireless tag sensors. Check them like 10 times a week.

Today it's got me thinking how my unheated detached garage stays 12c warmer in this extended cold weather.

mr2mike
02-10-2021, 09:25 AM
Is there a calibration on it? Seems like it's reading high. Or you're reading it high. Buy weed stonks don't smoke or drink them.

If it was the insulation, I'd expect the temp decline to be slower than the outside temp sensor. Looks like the same decline on both. And I know declines.

Which adafruit sensor tracks your TP hoard? I assume a weight sensor on the pallets? speedog is probably interested too.

ExtraSlow
02-10-2021, 09:39 AM
I'm full straight edge for Feb, so don't think I'm reading it wrong. It matches the readout from my compustar starter too. But yeah, something seems off.

killramos
02-10-2021, 09:48 AM
Cars have a fair bit of thermal mass, if you park a warm car in there once a day that will keep it pretty “warm”.

I also used to “poor boy” heat my garage by leaving incandescent lights on for a couple hundred watts of heat. Is someone leaving the lights on?

Considering where you live, does your garage share a party wall? Perhaps your neighbour has a heater?

Xtrema
02-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Cars have a fair bit of thermal mass, if you park a warm car in there once a day that will keep it pretty “warm”.

Based on that pattern, looks like ExtraSlow goes out for a coffee break around 2-4pm. :D

ExtraSlow
02-10-2021, 11:05 AM
Wife goes out to pick up the kid from the bus around 4 daily. Yeah. And we do share a party wall with the neighbors garage, but I'm pretty sure it's not heated. Or if it is heated, it's electric only. They have no chimney anywhere for exhaust. Always fun to play detective on things like this that do not matter.

ExtraSlow
02-10-2021, 08:09 PM
Decided to check calibration by moving another sensor into the garage. Will report back in morning once I have enough data to chart.

The_Penguin
02-10-2021, 08:12 PM
Just checking in to say i have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of my wireless tag sensors. Check them like 10 times a week.

Glad they're working out for you!

ExtraSlow
02-10-2021, 08:20 PM
I honestly wish I bought more. 5 seemed like a lot, but I could use at least 3 more. Should have bought 10.

ExtraSlow
02-11-2021, 07:07 AM
Temp sensors are fun

ExtraSlow
02-11-2021, 07:59 AM
Although not happy my exterior sensor stopped reporting at 3am. Wonder if it went out of range at minus 29c?

EDIT:

OPERATING ENVIRONMENT
-40°C (-40°F) to 85°C (185°F)
non-condensing (0-95% RH), indoor use only.
Probably should have spent te money on the exterior rated sensor. Oh well.

firebane
02-11-2021, 12:04 PM
Just came across these guys https://www.jemrf.com/ and seem to be fairly reasonably priced.

$12.95 for the module to use a RPi and then $20 for a temp sensor.

mr2mike
02-11-2021, 05:10 PM
Based on that pattern, looks like ExtraSlow goes out for a coffee break around 2-4pm. :D

Executes on the TP sales he's found earlier that day.

Your neighbour could have a heater in his garage. Bonus for you.
Interesting the floor sensor vs wall. I can definitely tell you while working in an unheated garage, the floor stays way too effing cold!

Can you plot this data in a stacked area chart so I can understand it better?

Darell_n
02-11-2021, 07:32 PM
Although not happy my exterior sensor stopped reporting at 3am. Wonder if it went out of range at minus 29c?

EDIT:

Probably should have spent te money on the exterior rated sensor. Oh well.

Nah, battery just got a limp dick in the cold.

ExtraSlow
02-11-2021, 07:36 PM
Well, brought it in, thawed it out and put it back out. It's the version that has constant power through USB adapter, so battery wasn't the issue. Graph looks funky now. I like funky.

ExtraSlow
09-20-2021, 04:59 PM
Here's a first. Had the whole system down for a while, and rhe sensors never did upload the data from a 6 you time span. Odd.