PDA

View Full Version : Fellow cyclist in critical condition

lilmira
06-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Cory from the bike shop south got into an accident on Macleod/50th ave last Friday and he’s in critical condition. It sounds pretty serious. I don’t think I’ve met him in person but I keep in touch with a few people from the bike shop. The south shop is doing an event to donate the profit from sales to Cory on Wednesday. If anyone needs something and like to help Cory at the same time you may do so.

I’m not affiliated with the shop at all. I’d just like to spread the news as a fellow cyclist in the community. There is also a gofundme page, someone posted the link on the bike shop fb.

kJUMP
06-01-2020, 07:13 PM
do you have more details on what happened? apparently he t-boned a car?

lilmira
06-01-2020, 07:26 PM
That’s what I thought as well based on the description of the damage on the car but I don’t have more details. We’ll probably know more in the future.

lilmira
06-01-2020, 07:38 PM
Just found out that he passed away today. Apparently he hit the car turning left. :cry:

kJUMP
06-01-2020, 07:58 PM
that's terrible news. RIP.

rage2
06-01-2020, 09:07 PM
do you have more details on what happened? apparently he t-boned a car?
Yea t-boned a car turning left. The rest of the details are all over the map. First it was a pedestrian, then it was him speeding and running a light, and now it’s an improper left turn by the car.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/pedestrian-struck-at-macleod-trail-crosswalk-1.4961490

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/cyclist-rushed-to-hospital-after-t-bone-collision

https://calgaryherald.com/news/bike-shop-staff-rallying-around-co-worker-severely-injured-in-cycling-accident

BavarianBeast
06-01-2020, 09:15 PM
So the car would of had to be oncoming and turned left in front of him in order to hit the right side (passenger) side of the vehicle?

Driver didn't see cyclist coming toward him?

lilmira
06-01-2020, 09:42 PM
If I had to speculate, he was going downhill and he was a very strong cyclist so he was likely going faster than the average cyclist. It won't be surprising that the other motorist would misjudge his speed.

mazdavirgin
06-01-2020, 10:22 PM
A car making an improper left turn through the bikes lanes is how I got creamed biking to work... I got really lucky though and walked away relatively unscathed considering I got hit by a car. Really feel for this fellow cyclists family.

D'z Nutz
06-01-2020, 10:30 PM
So the car would of had to be oncoming and turned left in front of him in order to hit the right side (passenger) side of the vehicle?

Driver didn't see cyclist coming toward him?

This is exactly what happened to me last year. Got a nice broken collarbone out of it. Now I approach every intersection like a car is going to pull in or out of it.

OTown
06-01-2020, 11:46 PM
Terrible news. RIP and best wishes to those who knew him

dimi
06-02-2020, 10:55 AM
Having ridden bicycles and motorcycles for most of my life, defensive riding is the most important skill set. You can have the right of way, but if a car is not expecting a bike and doesn't see you, the consequences are very severe and in this case life ending.

Condolences to the family :(