PDA

View Full Version : Home network question

03ozwhip
06-02-2020, 09:55 AM
so I have Cat5 installed in the house, but until now we haven't needed ethernet connectivity in the bedrooms or office as we don't use our laptop very often until now.

My modem is installed on my main floor(shaw bluecurve).
In my basement I have this...
https://i.imgur.com/M99joOm.jpg

What is my best option here? My modem only has 3 ports and the main, I wouldn't even know which one of these to connect to if I moved the modem downstairs...any help?

BigDL
06-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Keep the modem where it is, plug everything else in that box into a gigabit switch.

03ozwhip
06-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Keep the modem where it is, plug everything else in that box into a gigabit switch.

That's what that black box is, isn't it? It doesn't connect to anything.

01RedDX
06-02-2020, 10:10 AM

revelations
06-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Looks like youll need an 8 port gigabit switch - and these stupid panels are way too small for anything but a small modem. Anything serious I usually end up mounting outside of the box on their own shelf.

03ozwhip
06-02-2020, 10:54 AM
Looks like youll need an 8 port gigabit switch - and these stupid panels are way too small for anything but a small modem. Anything serious I usually end up mounting outside of the box on their own shelf.

Ok so I get a gigaswitch and where do I plug it in so I can use those cat5s in the basement?

taemo
06-02-2020, 11:08 AM
there should also be an ethernet cable that runs from your main floor where the modem is to the basement right?
you connect all ethernet cables to the basement switch in the basement.

then all devices connected to this switch to the modem will become a network.

[modem]--[basement switch]--[devices]

03ozwhip
06-02-2020, 11:40 AM
there should also be an ethernet cable that runs from your main floor where the modem is to the basement right?
you connect all ethernet cables to the basement switch in the basement.

then all devices connected to this switch to the modem will become a network.

[modem]--[basement switch]--[devices]

Ya thats what I thought too...but there isn't anything plugged into it.

01RedDX
06-02-2020, 11:48 AM