PDA

View Full Version : Medical Supplies?

killramos
06-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Anyone have a recommended place / brand / comments for medical supplies? Having my ankle taken apart next week and need to get some crutches or something since it’s gonna put me in my ass for a while.

Literally no clue what to look for?

Blue cross is paying so if there is something that will make my life a ton easier I should be looking for I’m open to it. I opted out of a script for a knee scooter since it isn’t going to do my much good at home.

ExtraSlow
06-02-2020, 01:16 PM
mr2mike

pheoxs
06-02-2020, 01:20 PM
No real useful info to add but the air cast boots are so much better than the old style plaster casts (I don't even know if they do those anymore) but if there's a choice between the two definitely splurge for the boots.

killramos
06-02-2020, 01:33 PM
I chatted with the admin at PLC and it definitely won’t be a plaster cast so that’s good. But figuring out mobility aids is my responsibility to figure out.

I’m sure there will be physio etc to figure out down the road but for now I’m try to avoid hopping around everywhere haha.

SJW
06-02-2020, 01:35 PM
I chatted with the admin at PLC and it definitely won’t be a plaster cast so that’s good. But figuring out mobility aids is my responsibility to figure out.

I’m sure there will be physio etc to figure out down the road but for now I’m try to avoid hopping around everywhere haha.

I'm getting surgery soon too for a nerve issue in my foot. I'm going to try and get the surgery after hunting season though.

Can someone explain the aircast to me? It's been a while since i've had an injury.

pheoxs
06-02-2020, 01:52 PM
I'm getting surgery soon too for a nerve issue in my foot. I'm going to try and get the surgery after hunting season though.

Can someone explain the aircast to me? It's been a while since i've had an injury.

It's basically a boot but you can remove it (as directed by your doctor) to carefully clean your leg/foot. Plus it's adjustable so it can be more supportive.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81AeNPiukIL._AC_SY879_.jpg

AndyL
06-02-2020, 02:01 PM

I'd Kijiji/FB one of these for an ankle issue. Especially if you're not practiced with crutches.

They're insane new, but there's usually dozens around in the thrift stores/buy&sells etc

pheoxs
06-02-2020, 02:04 PM

I'd Kijiji/FB one of these for an ankle issue. Especially if you're not practiced with crutches.

They're insane new, but there's usually dozens around in the thrift stores/buy&sells etc

Good for the office but kinda useless at home if you have stairs though.

killramos
06-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Yea considering it’s mostly going to be mobility around the house for a few weeks I don’t think a knee scooter would be much good. I also have a prescription so no need to hunt Kijiji.

firebane
06-02-2020, 02:17 PM
For supplies check out the Co-Op Home Health on MacLeod.

mr2mike
06-02-2020, 02:18 PM
iWalk 2.0 you'll thank me later.

Keep elevated while lying around the house.

Compression Socks after you're out of walking cast.

AndyL
06-02-2020, 02:31 PM

Ok that's cool I hadn't seen those before. I think I'd still be crutches around the house... But I struggle with extra things strapped to me.

pheoxs
06-02-2020, 02:41 PM
If you have a family I'd say just crutches is almost better anyways. Milk that injury to get people to fetch things for yeah haha. Might as well enjoy the few weeks

ExtraSlow
06-02-2020, 03:58 PM

This guy knows his stuff.

bjstare
06-02-2020, 04:59 PM
it’s gonna put me in my ass for a while.

Never heard of this kind of ankle surgery. Sign me up though.

killramos
06-02-2020, 05:39 PM

All the kids are doing it. Who’s old AF now?

Xtrema
06-02-2020, 06:08 PM

Wow, double as pirate prop in October.

Buster
06-02-2020, 06:20 PM
I can get you something that will make you feel better.

ThePenIsMightier
06-02-2020, 06:30 PM

What you did there.
I see it.

killramos
06-02-2020, 06:42 PM
I can get you something that will make you feel better.

You always were a kind soul.

speedog
06-02-2020, 08:40 PM
I believe we have a air cast that we'd sell for cheap as it's just collecting dust. Let me dig it out and get more details on it.

killramos
06-02-2020, 08:50 PM
I believe we have a air cast that we'd sell for cheap as it's just collecting dust. Let me dig it out and get more details on it.

I’ll get all that from hospital so really nbd!

Pacman
06-03-2020, 08:15 AM
Be careful with the Iwalk 2.0. I used one when I tore my calf a few years ago. Was walking down the Plus 15 and the rubber grip pad got caught on the carpet and I bailed. I also found it caused some hip pain

mr2mike
06-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Yes, with everything you have to be careful as I've picked people up off the street that had bailed on the scooter too if you can believe it.

Honestly, within a week of surgery, around the house you're going to get super strong at balancing and hopping once the initial pain subsides.
Just hop around, except at night and when carrying stuff.
Get a covered container for water and or tea. Gotta keep fluids going.
Also I'd say a snack beside the bed at night for when you wake up and need pills. Don't empty stomach that. Even a handful of mixed nuts is better than nothing.

Bathing: get a wand attachment for your shower and a bench or borrow a bench. Then a cheap out and garbage bag and double elastic over the cast.

killramos
06-03-2020, 11:19 AM
My steam shower has a wand and is in the basement. Which is where my tv and office is.

Maybe I’ll just hide down there for two weeks and make the wife bring me food lmao

Pacman
06-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Yes, with everything you have to be careful as I've picked people up off the street that had bailed on the scooter too if you can believe it.

Honestly, within a week of surgery, around the house you're going to get super strong at balancing and hopping once the initial pain subsides.
Just hop around, except at night and when carrying stuff.
Get a covered container for water and or tea. Gotta keep fluids going.
Also I'd say a snack beside the bed at night for when you wake up and need pills. Don't empty stomach that. Even a handful of mixed nuts is better than nothing.

Bathing: get a wand attachment for your shower and a bench or borrow a bench. Then a cheap out and garbage bag and double elastic over the cast.

You bring up a good point about pain pills. When I had my back surgery, the pills made me very constipated. I would get some psyllium fibre to take with all your meals and eat high fibre foods if you don't already.

mr2mike
06-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Haha ya I forgot that too. Take some softener pills the day before the surgery. Trust me. You won't shit your pants on the OR table and you won't get a hernia two days after pushing.