PDA

View Full Version : Enviro Fee on Changing Tires ?

cgyITguy
06-05-2020, 09:06 AM
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but I had my winter tires swapped out with my summer tires the other day at the dealership. $200 Labour plus $20 envrio fee. Is that a normal charge on a tire swap ? It's not a huge deal, just wondering what switching a set of tires has to do with the environment

pheoxs
06-05-2020, 09:15 AM
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but I had my winter tires swapped out with my summer tires the other day at the dealership. $200 Labour plus $20 envrio fee. Is that a normal charge on a tire swap ? It's not a huge deal, just wondering what switching a set of tires has to do with the environment

Edit: tire fee is 4$ per tire and only on new tires

Also for future reference don't get your tires changed at a dealership. 200$ is a fucking rip off.

civic_stylez
06-05-2020, 09:35 AM
The norm is $4.00/tire. They may build shop supplies in the cost as well to bump it to $20.00.

And yes, $200.00 is STEEP for M+B. Theres several sponsors on here that do a top notch job for significantly less.

HHURICANE1
06-05-2020, 09:40 AM
The $4.00 is only when you buy new tires. Not when you do a change over. Was there a shop charge as well or just the "enviro" fee? If not that is what they are calling their shop fees.

dj_rice
06-05-2020, 09:45 AM
Should be $4/tire for recycling fee so total should be $16 IF you buy new tires.

You were doing a tire swap, there is no recycling as you've already paid for it. I bet you anything the dealership you went to had their mount/balance/install coded the same way when they sell tire packages, and they are mount/balanced are coded, thats why it auto charged you the recycling fee.

Go back and get that refunded dude.

If they charged you "Shop Supplies", that's different. Hard to get that refunded as they will say its for rags, brake cleaner, to keep the lights on, to pay for the coffee you drank in the show room (lies, as all employees have $10-20 taken off every cheque for this) but in reality the shop supplies is all profit for the owner of dealership.

revelations
06-05-2020, 10:16 AM
Yep, CT in Marlborough tried to once charge me 'tire disposal', 'enviro fee' and also for unrequested Nitrogen in my tires - all for dismounting some tires and installing loose tires which I provided - and then putting the old (good) rubber in the back of my car (which I then later sold on Kijiji).

They did reverse it but they sure tried hard to argue it.

Never CT again for anything mechanical (other debacles too).

npham
06-05-2020, 10:40 AM
Dealerships are doing it for less than that. I had them take off the old summer tires, put on new tires, and swap out the winters for less than that. After tax, it was under $180 at Glenmore Audi, which is still high, but not $220. But if I wasn't going there for my annual pre-paid service, I would just use Urban-X. Awesome service and pricing from all 3 locations (used them all at some point).

tonytiger55
06-05-2020, 11:06 AM

Its not a dumb question.
To give a comparison, my mechanic charges $80 if the tires are not on rims. Or $40 if its just a straight swap (my summer winters/have their own rims)
$200 is eye watering high.
Find a different place or try Urban X.

rx7boi
06-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Yeah, even for low-pro tires, most places will charge 30-35 bucks for mount and install.

tirebob
06-05-2020, 12:18 PM
You only pay an environmental levy on new tires and for car/suv tires etc it is $4.00 per tire. That is to cover the cost of disposal when the tire is worn out. You should never have to pay a fee for disposing a tire because it was prepaid at time of purchase, even if buying a new car it is there. It may have been a shop supply charge but it should not be an enviro fee. That would be a blatant rip off.