PDA

View Full Version : Winter/spring kill

speedog
06-06-2020, 06:39 PM
Curious if any other beyond members have experianced more than normal winter/spring kills on their perennials/bushes/trees this year?

We've got a 60 year old lilac that we're probably going to have to prune back by 75% - suspect the cold spring hurt it, going to be a tough loss because it provides a lot of shade for our bungalow during the summer. Our raspberries, pretty much dead this year - same goes for most of the raspberries I've seen in neighbor's yards. Across the street, the neighbor's burr oak is over half dead. Many green ashes are also struggling although ours seem fine. Our grapes didn't make it through the winter.

On the flip side, our ancient Nanking cherry is stronger than we've ever seen it. Our Saskatoon bushes, ridiculously strong this year.

killramos
06-06-2020, 06:40 PM
Everything seems really slow to emerge for sure. Just seeing life start to come into a few of these in the last week or 2.

benyl
06-06-2020, 06:45 PM
We have two lilacs that are struggling to come back.

As kill said, everything else is super slow.

speedog
06-06-2020, 07:20 PM
And yet our lilac out front that I prune twice a year for shape is green and full as ever. It is a different breed than the one we have in the back though but it just seems odd that after 60 years that we would lose 75% of the lilac out back. We'll cut it back hard, he'll, it's got old stumps that are 3-4" across so we know it'll come back.

cdnsir
06-06-2020, 07:24 PM
All the perennials were planted in pairs in the backyard. Strangely two on the east side are struggling/dead, and the two on the west had less bloom.

The lilac pair on the opposite ends are all in full growth tho.

90_Shelby
06-06-2020, 08:41 PM
A big elm I planted 2 years ago is struggling, it’s had buds on it for a few weeks now but it stalled and the leaves haven’t popped yet.

cycosis
06-07-2020, 12:23 AM
A big elm I planted 2 years ago is struggling, it’s had buds on it for a few weeks now but it stalled and the leaves haven’t popped yet.

I have the same thing with a new columnar aspen we had installed last year. Hoping it’s not $500 down the drain :( only the bottom third has pushed out leaves. Lots of buds still but nothing has progressed.

We’ve noticed tons of new trees that were planted IN our community are totally friedthis year unfortunately. Is this due to the cooler spring?

ExtraSlow
06-07-2020, 12:33 AM
ground stayed frozen much later this year. relax for two extra weeks.

killramos
06-07-2020, 08:45 AM
I have the same thing with a new columnar aspen we had installed last year. Hoping it’s not $500 down the drain :( only the bottom third has pushed out leaves. Lots of buds still but nothing has progressed.

We’ve noticed tons of new trees that were planted IN our community are totally friedthis year unfortunately. Is this due to the cooler spring?

Is our spring any cooler? Seemed to me like it was pretty great actually.

Winter on the other hand was fucked this year.

ExtraSlow
06-07-2020, 08:54 AM
I didn't notice spring being that much colder, but I had several plants that were very late to emerge. I think the plants know.

speedog
06-07-2020, 09:16 AM
Spring was late as ES said. Late enough that it appears lots of stuff suffered as a result. Hell, mid-late May and the frost in our back yard was there just two inches down - we've never seen that for ages.

88CRX
06-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Lost a couple shrubs, maybe they’ll come around still? One is 100% dead for sure.

And we have a flowering crabapple tree that’s finally flowering but it has almost no leaves on it. Super odd looking.

Rest of our trees are looking good.

bjstare
06-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Our grass got pretty messed up this year in a few places, and the cold late spring is my only explanation. It’s relatively new grass but it was fine last year :dunno:

Tik-Tok
06-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Yeah I mentioned this in the lawn thread a week ago. We got tons of winter kill. Its not just late, its dead. 2/3 of our raspberry bushes are toast (which usually take up 100sq.ft), a bunch of my wifes perrenials, etc.

I blame 5G, covid, and race riots.

speedog
06-07-2020, 09:03 PM
Yeah I mentioned this in the lawn thread a week ago. We got tons of winter kill. Its not just late, its dead. 2/3 of our raspberry bushes are toast (which usually take up 100sq.ft), a bunch of my wifes perrenials, etc.

I blame 5G, covid, and race riots.

Nope, it's the lack of red knobs at ES' place - that is throwing our whole crazy world even more off kilter. Next thing you know, the magnetic North Pole will be in god damn Russia.

MalibuStacy
06-07-2020, 09:15 PM
Where is ZenOps to explain this thread?

speedog
06-11-2020, 11:03 AM
Up to 50+ year old lilac branches/trunks trimmed out and not quite finished yet. Neighbor down the alley has at least 5 times as much to trim out as I have. At least it's growing back from the base but 50 years is a lot of growth to replace.

ExtraSlow
06-11-2020, 11:08 AM
That's really nice dense slow-burning wood for campfires. Need someone to haul some away?

speedog
06-11-2020, 11:31 AM
Nope, fire pit is nearby.

Might save some for some smaller projects because 50+ year old hardwood trunks that are under 5" across is very dense

arcticcat522
06-11-2020, 08:19 PM
We have one similar in the back and just yesterday I noticed some new growth on it and some green buds starting to pop. You may have been a little trigger happy getting rid of it. The one on the other side of the yard has flowers, so I'm not sure why one is on schedule and the other is struggling this year. Funny for sure

speedog
06-11-2020, 09:22 PM
Ours was pretty much dead but about 25% of the bush is still healthy, cut it all up this evening, almost a quarter cord of firewood from the lilac plus some of the dead wood we took out of our apple tree. Some of the lilac that is left is still quite iffy but well leave it for a year and see how it does next spring. My parents in High River had a 20 year old cherry not make it through he winter.

Maxt
06-11-2020, 09:37 PM
I lost 50% of my hops plants, had to clone a bunch from stems again.

SKR
06-11-2020, 09:42 PM
I have a caragana in the front yard. I don't think anything can kill it.

benyl
06-11-2020, 09:44 PM
We have one similar in the back and just yesterday I noticed some new growth on it and some green buds starting to pop. You may have been a little trigger happy getting rid of it. The one on the other side of the yard has flowers, so I'm not sure why one is on schedule and the other is struggling this year. Funny for sure

Yeah, this is our today: